Continental U.S.
✟971,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Always found it interesting that " Wide is the path ( ne-bu-ru ) and narrow is the gate " is taken from a copy of the so-called Gilgamesh epic
Hi Frank, I've always viewed the above and the use of the, "In him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28) as demonstrating the creative ways that God has worked through writers to hammer home truth within a cultural context ... a way of showing that there are some reflections of truth reverberating within the fallenness of this world. Concerning Lizzy's question--Liz, you are a member of the Body of Christ, and God is "developing" you to bring the context of truth to (yes) a pretty sad world. Light into darkness.

• Agree
Reactions: Lizy424
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Always found it interesting that " Wide is the path ( ne-bu-ru ) and narrow is the gate " is taken from a copy of the so-called Gilgamesh epic

Do you think Christians haven't done evangelism or most people love their sins too much to turn to Jesus?

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Just curious. Im 17 and kind of deciding the next step to take with my life. I am a born again and seeking to stay on the narrow path. I'm just about finishing school.. I don't think I want to go to university like everyone else.. there's not much I desire from the world. And plus the bible says in Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind. Also we are not supposed to love the world nor the things in it... I really hate the way this world works trying to get everyone into the system.. Can we not just trust God by living in faith that he'll supply our daily needs? Or is that just me being lazy on my part.. I just feel it's so wordly.. stuff the gentiles seek.. are we not meant to be the light of the world ? But then again I could just keep Jesus as the priority in my heart & it may be a good opportunity to spread the gospel to people I come across. I just don't want to be like the world & come off the narrow path.. I don't want a luxurious life anyway
Trust in God for your daily needs but you have to figure out how to make a living. From my understanding you should try and figure out what your money making skills/talents are and use them on the straight and narrow path. The apostle Paul relied on his tent making skills for an income at times. I'm not sure what the average income of a tent maker was back in his day but nowadays you'll see some trades making close to a 6 figure income. But it's up to you to find out what working skills you're good at, go into the labor market and walk that path.

In my area the public school system does offer guidance in finding out what jobs a person is best suited for. It may be in your area there are other means to do this same thing.

Upvote 0

OpenYourBibles

Jan 26, 2017
United States
✟11,608.00
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Just curious. Im 17 and kind of deciding the next step to take with my life. I am a born again and seeking to stay on the narrow path. I'm just about finishing school.. I don't think I want to go to university like everyone else.. there's not much I desire from the world. And plus the bible says in Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind. Also we are not supposed to love the world nor the things in it... I really hate the way this world works trying to get everyone into the system.. Can we not just trust God by living in faith that he'll supply our daily needs? Or is that just me being lazy on my part.. I just feel it's so wordly.. stuff the gentiles seek.. are we not meant to be the light of the world ? But then again I could just keep Jesus as the priority in my heart & it may be a good opportunity to spread the gospel to people I come across. I just don't want to be like the world & come off the narrow path.. I don't want a luxurious life anyway
I admire your conviction - I deal with 16-20 year old kiddos everyday, and not to many have that kind of conviction... that is impressive. First three questions, Have you spoken to God about this? Do you have a real Pastor that you can bring these kinds of dilemmas to and get direction? Have you spoken to your Pastor about this?

Anyone can offer you advice whether on this forum or at the grocery store, but if God saved you and washed you up, to preform work in his kingdom then God also gave you a pastor for your perfecting and for your edifying, who should be able to instruct you and help you make the right decision.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah that would be peaceful indeed but there's a generation out there who need us to preach to them the gospel. The gift of life is not just for ourselves to keep but to share to all nations!
That is correct. However, the preaching should be left to the people who love the worldly gentiles and view them as equally God's children as they are....knowing that God has a fat calf waiting for them when they return home.

People like you and me however....Only need to be talking to bugs and plants and general nature....things untouched by the evil one. Im looking into cave rentals in the Himalayas....ill see how much they are going for and let you know....

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is the narrow Way to salvation..

Romans 10: KJV
9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. {10} For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. {11} For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious. Im 17 and kind of deciding the next step to take with my life. I am a born again and seeking to stay on the narrow path. I'm just about finishing school.. I don't think I want to go to university like everyone else..

Not everyone goes to university.
If not going is right for you; that's good. But if you were staying away just to be different from everyone else - i.e not doing what "the world" expects; that's not so good.

What does the Lord want you to do with your life? What gifts has he given you? How does he want you to serve him and show his love to others? And does any of this require a university degree? If so; that's your answer.

Can we not just trust God by living in faith that he'll supply our daily needs?

If that's what's right for you; go for it.
But what are you going to do while you're trusting him to meet your needs - because "sitting and reading/watching tv etc" is not the answer.

I just feel it's so wordly.. stuff the gentiles seek.. are we not meant to be the light of the world ?

Yes. But there's nothing wrong with having "stuff" or material possessions - you may be given them so that you can serve/bless others.

But then again I could just keep Jesus as the priority in my heart & it may be a good opportunity to spread the gospel to people I come across.

Or maybe just love them.
Someone could be "on the narrow way", have virtually nothing and be living in isolation/a monastery, their main ministry being prayer for the church and community; someone else could be on the narrow way and have many possessions which they share with others, loan to churches and use to serve God and make contact with new Christians. As long as both of his children have the Lord in their lives and hearts, and make him their priority; both are just as good.

I just don't want to be like the world & come off the narrow path.. I don't want a luxurious life anyway

There is more to being on the wide path than money.
"Being like the world" means accepting society's values and worth about yourself and other people, instead of God's. It means pinning your self worth/security/peace/need for approval on outward things, like the latest phone/computer/car. Or letting yourself be defined by other people's opinions.
Someone could have few possessions but still love the world/be worldly, eg in their relationships, and be proud about how little they have.

• Winner
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you active in spreading the gospal?
Do you debat the truth of Christianity with your class mates at school? What role do you have in your church?
Have you never read what Paul wrote, that everyone should work, so they can support themselves and have the means to share with those in need.

Take a look at the blog wintery knight and use search to see what he says about work, college, courting and Christian living.

If you want to learn to debate Christianity try coldcasechristianity and reasonablefaith's Q+A.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

Lizy424

Feb 22, 2017
Ireland
✟10,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think this is a most wise decision. You could look into studying the Bible in some academic capacity as doing this will set you on a path to serving the Lord as your career. Judging by your post, this sounds like something you are open to, so why not look into it a bit more? No rush, take your time, collect plenty of information, pray and allow the Holy Spirit to guide you. It sounds like you've already surrendered to the will of the HS and that's the most important part!

Yeah! We also don't need to study the Word in an academic setting like a college or place of higher learning when we have the Holy Spirit to guide us! John 14:16, John 14:26

Just keep reading and meditating on the Word, looking things up online like biblical commentaries and definitions and fellowshipping with other believers on websites like this one. The internet is the holy grail to the autodidact, after all.

God bless man!
Yeah exactly.. thanks:) God bless u too!

Upvote 0

Lizy424

Feb 22, 2017
Ireland
✟10,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Go to school, get an education and do it with all your heart as unto the LORD. Do everything for the glory of God. Seek the Lord every day and ask him for strength so you can keep growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord.

Dont let anything or anyone confuse you about your calling. Go and get an education if you are able and dont be distracted by the things of this world. Work and labour and all those things are actually a blessing from the Lord so do it will all your heart. Look at Joseph who was very educated and had a job in the governement. Look at Paul who was a tentmaker and also very educated. Education is not wrong and dont look at it like you must choose between being fully devoted God or being devoted to "worldly" education or system. Take Pauls advice and learn to work and lead a simple quiet life. Not everyone can afford college and not everyone wants to attend college, which is fine. But either way do what you feel is the right thing and seek the Lord to confirm in your heart that youre making the right choices. He promised us he would lead us and guide and show us the way to go.

God is faithful and he will help you. Put all your hope in Christ and let him be the one you want to please the most. God bless you.
True!

Upvote 0

Lizy424

Feb 22, 2017
Ireland
✟10,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1) we're all gentiles

2) Picking up a bible and raising a family with it is a powerful way to give glory to God. Many great Christian men get an education to help their family prosper and give glory to god with their responsibe parentage and generosity.
Depending on yourself isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you give God the credit at the end of the day. We have to depend on ourselves everyday. God doesn't do our daily tasks for us, rather we have to do them ourselves. The difference is that Christians give God the credit whereas non-believers take the credit for themselves.

Because we live in a fallen world, I believe Christians and non-believers have to work equally as hard to make a living. Yes God will ultimately provide, but Christians aren't exempt from hard work.

Look at what God told Adam in Genesis 3:19, "By the sweat of your face You will eat bread, Till you return to the ground..." Adam didn't get a free pass because he was a believer. He had to work extremely hard to provide for himself until the day he died.

In conclusion, the choice is yours. I just hope you don't limit yourself just because your're a Christian. Do whatever makes you happy. You can be a light for God in literally any career path you choose.

Depending on yourself isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you give God the credit at the end of the day. We have to depend on ourselves everyday. God doesn't do our daily tasks for us, rather we have to do them ourselves. The difference is that Christians give God the credit whereas non-believers take the credit for themselves.

Because we live in a fallen world, I believe Christians and non-believers have to work equally as hard to make a living. Yes God will ultimately provide, but Christians aren't exempt from hard work.

Look at what God told Adam in Genesis 3:19, "By the sweat of your face You will eat bread, Till you return to the ground..." Adam didn't get a free pass because he was a believer. He had to work extremely hard to provide for himself until the day he died.

In conclusion, the choice is yours. I just hope you don't limit yourself just because your're a Christian. Do whatever makes you happy. You can be a light for God in literally any career path you choose. Best wishes!
Yeah true in mark 12:7 Jesus says Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. I guess I'll just have to put up with this world and do what I have to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: swagtastic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lizy424

Feb 22, 2017
Ireland
✟10,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1) we're all gentiles

2) Picking up a bible and raising a family with it is a powerful way to give glory to God. Many great Christian men get an education to help their family prosper and give glory to god with their responsibe parentage and generosity.
Yeah I understand when your circumstance is when u have to provide for your family then God will put u in a job to do that. Its just when people get fat on the luxuries of this life.. but yeah God has different paths for everyone.. I find this verse useful, Luke 21:3-1As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins.3“Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on ...

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟31,097.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Notwithstanding the things you point out, scripture tells us also to provide for honest things, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men: again we may live in the flesh, but we do not war after the flesh. Though we are subject to all things in this world: to school, to working at a job, to money, to technology, and so on; yet we must keep ourselves from being brought under the power of any. We must submit ourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake, for so is the will of God; but we which believe shall not proceed as the carnally minded proceed, but as the spiritual: they follow the corrupt nature, but we the incorruptible nature.

• Agree
Reactions: Lizy424
Upvote 0

Lizy424

Feb 22, 2017
Ireland
✟10,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That is correct. However, the preaching should be left to the people who love the worldly gentiles and view them as equally God's children as they are....knowing that God has a fat calf waiting for them when they return home.

People like you and me however....Only need to be talking to bugs and plants and general nature....things untouched by the evil one. Im looking into cave rentals in the Himalayas....ill see how much they are going for and let you know....
Anyone who is in Christ obviously loves their neighbors, thus fulfilling the law of Christ to love thy neighbor as thyself. We do this by telling them the truth. If no one told me, I would've probably still been living in my sin. We spread the love of Jesus in truth in the spirit of gentleness. Matthew 5:13
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Upvote 0

Lizy424

Feb 22, 2017
Ireland
✟10,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Not everyone goes to university.
If not going is right for you; that's good. But if you were staying away just to be different from everyone else - i.e not doing what "the world" expects; that's not so good.

What does the Lord want you to do with your life? What gifts has he given you? How does he want you to serve him and show his love to others? And does any of this require a university degree? If so; that's your answer.

If that's what's right for you; go for it.
But what are you going to do while you're trusting him to meet your needs - because "sitting and reading/watching tv etc" is not the answer.

Yes. But there's nothing wrong with having "stuff" or material possessions - you may be given them so that you can serve/bless others.

Or maybe just love them.
Someone could be "on the narrow way", have virtually nothing and be living in isolation/a monastery, their main ministry being prayer for the church and community; someone else could be on the narrow way and have many possessions which they share with others, loan to churches and use to serve God and make contact with new Christians. As long as both of his children have the Lord in their lives and hearts, and make him their priority; both are just as good.

There is more to being on the wide path than money.
"Being like the world" means accepting society's values and worth about yourself and other people, instead of God's. It means pinning your self worth/security/peace/need for approval on outward things, like the latest phone/computer/car. Or letting yourself be defined by other people's opinions.
Someone could have few possessions but still love the world/be worldly, eg in their relationships, and be proud about how little they have.
True:)

Upvote 0