how many times u practise songs in a week

StarryEyedPea

Dec 9, 2004
✟9,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The worship teams at our church practice usually on a sunday before the services, sometimes they meet up beforehand, maybe on the sat, depending really !

Everyone is encouraged to practice alone at home, so when everyone is bought together people know their own stuff and it can just be combined:)

usually works pretty well ...
they use things like tapes and stuff to learn new songs, and obviously the music,
so i guess my reply to this question is whenever is needed!

:)

god bless
starry xx

Upvote 0

LazyGuy

Aug 16, 2005
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Visit site
✟9,781.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We used to have 2 practices - one on Wednesday night and another on Saturday evening. Then we expand / split the worship team into 2, Mandarin and Cantonese teams, each takes one session.

The practice is normally 2 hours. Minus the time spent waiting or sometimes looking for songs (!), we get at the minimum 1 hour solid. When new songs are introduced we may spend more time. We also spend time trying out new styles or arrangements.

We may come early on Sunday morning if need be. Going through the songs before the service has the following benefits:
1. allow the musicians to practice
2. help prepare the heart of the congregation to worship

The actual practice time could be short. But the important thing is to develop chemistry among the team members.

Upvote 0

LazyGuy

Aug 16, 2005
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Visit site
✟9,781.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
becky81101 said:
I email out the worship schedule at the beginning of the week. Then, our team meets after the Wednesday night Bible study. Then we all practice on our own through the rest of the week and have a 15-20 min refresher on Sunday morning before the service which is also our sound check.

This may belong to a separate topic. I used to remind my team members to come for practice. I made phone calls, sent emails or SMSes. But one of my team leaders think we should not pamper the worship team members.

What do you think? Should we, as a leader remind them? Or should they be responsible themselves?

None of us need to be reminded to attend a company meeting, do we? :confused:

Upvote 0

McDLT

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟4,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think sending out e-mails and phone calls are a great idea, especially with volunteers. It helps keep the worship foremost in their mind and a good way to keep members up-to-date on what's happening.

Keeping people connected makes them feel good about their role on the team and when they feel good there will be less conflict.

Just a few of my disjointed thoughts. ;)

Upvote 0

becky81101

without music, life would be a mistake
Jan 21, 2005
✟919.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't email my team to remind them to come to practice. I do email out the worship order - Although since our team consists of 2 people now, I have to admit - I've been just putting it on the stands on Wednesday nights. I only emailed the order so that they could practice individually. I will email to remind them of an extra practice if it's not a routine practice (for special holiday services, etc) But honestly, they can't rely on me to call and remind them weekly to be at practice. That's a part of the responsibility of being on the team. However, I constantly send encouraging emails and cards through snail mail just to thank them for being a part of the ministry. We also do things outside of practice to get to know each other better and be connected on more than 1 level.

Upvote 0
J

Jenster

I think personal preparation and rehearsal are soooo important. And thought about how to arrange the music.

My team rehearses for 2.5 hours on a weeknight, then have 45 minutes before service. An efficient leader can get us through the rehearsal so that we've nailed down the song structure, dynamics, and transitions between songs. An inefficient one will squander the time in trying a bunch of different things and seeking everyone's input such that we're still trying to get the basics down on Sunday. Not to gripe or anything. ;)

Upvote 0

jsfox

Aug 21, 2005
✟15,251.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I strongly agree with the folks mentioning the importance of prayer. This is critical before practices and before worship services (as well as personally daily, hourly, etc.)

Most of our musicians are professional (including members of Go Fish, PFR, Clear, Zoegirl, Rollan, Big Fat Jam, RSJ, Grayshot, etc.) so rehearsals are generally a quick runthrough on Thu nights. We'll usually have a set list for the services, but that's more just a starting point and we'll often sub or add during the service. Whoever's running powerpoint is sometimes not appreciative of this though :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

martinedwards

Sep 9, 2005
Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
✟15,179.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When we started (all those years ago!!) we met at 4 for a 6.30 service and had to learn songs and orders and signals for repeat chorus etc and it was HELL!!!!!

Now that we're more proficient musicians and can read each other beter, we meet 30 mins before the service and have a quick run through. New song? play it through once. Gottit? Ok, lets go!!

Upvote 0

Jesusong

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟2,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The musicians meet every Sunday @ 4pm. Though not everybody shows up. The song leaders hardly ever come (actually, only one comes every practice, and she is an inspiration). It can be frustrating sometimes. But hey, before we never practiced at all, so its a start.

Upvote 0

bertie

Oct 25, 2005
enderby bc canada
✟1,283.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
CA-Greens
i envy the whiole bunch of you guys.We seldom have a coherent practice..maybe once evrey month.The base player is in the infancy of his craft.i mean he knows how to plug it in.The drummer and leader have been plying the stuff together for years and my bud and myself are ok musicians on the simple stuff but lots of times we have practiced sans drummer only to arrive sat nite for church and have to play what we practiced for the first time to an entirely different beat cause the drummer does not have practice time at all.The leader singer is the pastor and he seems more interested in the service part,he also changes keys on us at times in the middle of songs without prior notice,we havent even tried to play them in those keys before so we are forced to transpose them impromtually as we playthem in the service to a different beat half the timeas well astrying to smooth the transition to repeat choruses which our pastor throws in as the Spirit moves..We actually manage to get half of everything right on but the mistrakes are jarring embarassing and do not lead the congregation to that place that it seems to be where worship wants to go..my bud and i try to practice once a week for at least 2hrs.Unfortunately we arrive at church not even knowing if the songs we have been practicing will be picked that nite.other times we show up to all the songs being changed for others because the assistant team leader is in charge .I have kind of gotten this idea that its a sort of form of blasphemy to put so much work onto the Holy Spirit,But how to correct the whole thing?I have thought of trying to talk them into letting me or my bud be team leader but neither of us has been going to this church for very long and its a very small congrgation 25 people.I can probably sing the whole mormon song book by heart, but these contemporary songs are new to me.this by the way is not a new thread, and i dont want to get off subject.and thats how we practice. Sunday i go to a different church where i can just take part in the singing from the congregation and i find this is when i really enjoy the praise and worship.

Upvote 0