South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This isn't a politics question, but I wanted to post it here because it addresses something I see mostly here in the politics forum, and that is the need to be right about everything, at all times, no matter what the cost.

I see people get really aggressive about arguing the smallest details and just will not let things go or allow anybody else to believe differently.

I'm a Christian and believe in a principle called simul justus et peccator, which is a fancy way of saying that even though I'm saved, I still struggle with and war against sin. In my case, my sin is pride and a tendency to become sarcastic and angry when I get frustrated.

One of the things the Lord is teaching me is that it's only my job to speak the truth as I understand it, not to convince anybody of anything.

I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it and, more importantly, God is working on it in me.

So, my question to you, whether you're a Christian or not is, how important is it for you to be right? Are you OK to let someone else have the last word? Are you OK conceding a point, even if it causes you to lose face?

This is a discussion forum but, all too often, it looks like a "let me google what that guy just said so I can gather up all the information I can to make him look like an idiot" forum.

Why? Is it really that big a deal to you what some anonymous stranger on the internet thinks of you or your beliefs?

And would you speak to people the same way you speak to them here if you were sitting at a table with them? Is it just because of the anonymity of the internet and the fact that we can't see nuance or body language or get to know one another, or that we have a relatively small space to cram in a lot of thought? Or are we all just jerks?

Reactions: EdwinWillers

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think it's important to be accurate. Also, I think it's important to have a reputation for accuracy.

Still, you have to keep your mind open to the possibility of being wrong if you are to be accurate. No one is infallible and it's okay (if not necessary) to be wrong once in a while.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
I'm only interested in truth. If my argument fails it only means I'm closer to it. Politics are very conflictive right now. It's okay to disagree as long as that is coupled with a common purpose.
That's the consequences of having a two party system, it creates an us vs them mentality. It doesn't matter if the opposing view have well establish rhetoric skill complete with objective evidence, because it them. There are some people and forum members will hold a position, and play ridiculous mental gymnastics, because of the confirmation bias they have. A sign of this is inconsistency.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's important to be accurate. Also, I think it's important to have a reputation for accuracy.

Still, you have to keep your mind open to the possibility of being wrong if you are to be accurate. No one is infallible and it's okay (if not necessary) to be wrong once in a while.
I try to be accurate and I am subject to correction.

Also, it is not always a dichotomy - there can be more than one "right" and degrees of "rightness".

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I don't care for right and wrong. I care about giving and receiving information.

I've said I many times in the past, the right and left in this country have much more in common than they might wish to believe, just differ in what the solutions are.

As for face to face meet? There are one or two members here that I have an adversarial relationship with who I'd LOVE to sit down and have a meet with.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't care for right and wrong. I care about giving and receiving information.

I've said I many times in the past, the right and left in this country have much more in common than they might wish to believe, just differ in what the solutions are.

As for face to face meet? There are one or two members here that I have an adversarial relationship with who I'd LOVE to sit down and have a meet with.
My perspective on that is that nearly every liberal I have encountered believes that those who disagree with liberal solutions are evil. Thus the acrimony as they seek to be proven right

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
My perspective on that is that nearly every liberal I have encountered believes that those who disagree with liberal solutions are evil. Thus the acrimony as they seek to be proven right

I'll respectfully ask what has that to do with my post?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Projection.

You've encountered me and I know that I don't think that way, so the thought must be your own.

Upvote 0

1Sam15

Does this include folks who think that Obama is worse than every known dicatator? That Obama's term in office is worse than Communist Chinese government? That Obama might be the Anti-christ? That Obama might be the worst president ever?

(Or were those liberals who said all that over the past 6 years?)

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Projection.

You've encountered me and I know that I don't think that way, so the thought must be your own.

:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then explain just how it does so as relates to my specific post, no others.
You mentioned people having different solutions to the same problem. I pointed out that for some liberals, most in ,y experience, they believe themselves so strongly to be right that they actually believe their "opponents" to be evil. The result is that they will say just about anything to prove they are right

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I try to be correct, but i don't feel like i need to "win" every argument or "be right (initially)" about every detail. That being said the details matter, and being "wrong" about the details doesn't help in understanding the bigger picture.

My goal is to pursue the truth, whether i'm the one showing the truth or whether someone else helps shine a light on it.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Anyone else notice something about this thread?

The OP asked a question, and several posters responded to the question. Then, one poster, instead of answering the question (which was specifically about whether one feels the need to always be right), casts disparaging remarks about liberals - claiming that they are always the problem.

Somehow, even a non-partisan OP can be derailed and made partisan within the first page of the thread...

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This isn't a politics question, but I wanted to post it here because it addresses something I see mostly here in the politics forum, and that is the need to be right about everything, at all times, no matter what the cost.

I see people get really aggressive about arguing the smallest details and just will not let things go or allow anybody else to believe differently.

I'm a Christian and believe in a principle called simul justus et peccator, which is a fancy way of saying that even though I'm saved, I still struggle with and war against sin. In my case, my sin is pride and a tendency to become sarcastic and angry when I get frustrated.

One of the things the Lord is teaching me is that it's only my job to speak the truth as I understand it, not to convince anybody of anything.

I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it and, more importantly, God is working on it in me.

So, my question to you, whether you're a Christian or not is, how important is it for you to be right? Are you OK to let someone else have the last word? Are you OK conceding a point, even if it causes you to lose face?

This is a discussion forum but, all too often, it looks like a "let me google what that guy just said so I can gather up all the information I can to make him look like an idiot" forum.

Why? Is it really that big a deal to you what some anonymous stranger on the internet thinks of you or your beliefs?

And would you speak to people the same way you speak to them here if you were sitting at a table with them? Is it just because of the anonymity of the internet and the fact that we can't see nuance or body language or get to know one another, or that we have a relatively small space to cram in a lot of thought? Or are we all just jerks?

I think any person, Christian or not, should make every effort to be right, in everything they say, and do.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Meh ... we all make mistakes. That's part of the human condition. Everyone's got an opinion. Presumably, at least some people come to this forum to discuss opposing viewpoints. That's wonderful thing when it's allowed to happen. Such discussion requires mutual respect and self-discipline though on the part of those engaged in the dialogue.

Too often, agendas get in the way of both discussion and truth. That's a problem. It's always been a problem.

Personally, I view God as truth in all things. If facts and circumstances contradict whatever opinion I might have held, then it's my job to adjust my understanding accordingly. It's just common sense.

Good question, btw. Thanks for bringing it up, South Bound. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0