Cover to Cover Bible Reading plans very important to read cover to cover multiple times

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It is very important to read the Bible cover to cover multiple times, to do this you need a plan. cover to cover, It doesn't have to be straight Genesis to Revelation in order, there are multiple plans out there, if you work a lucre job and don't have time then just do 15 minutes a day, there are 15 minutes plans out there. but For us who are free, reading a bible can become reality very quickly, cover to cover can be finished in a few months. I have read NT cover to cover before in a very short amount of time. And I will continue to do this again but the whole Bible is important cover to cover.

Audio bibles count as well the Bible says faith cometh by hearing, some people are not good at sitting down and reading cover to cover, hey pop the audio bible in KJV scourby is my favorite and listen to it cover to cover. I know there are people who are really weird and say listening to the Bible doesn't count as reading, but I think it does because you're hearing it. and if you work a lucre job then listen to it in the car on the way to your lucre job. But cover to cover has to happen the bible says study to shew thyself approved we need to read and meditate on Gods word every day all the time not just Sunday and Wednesday nights at church, that is not enough you should have cover to cover bible reading plans. cover to cover.

I used to be one of those who didn't think bible reading cover to cover was important, but now after I have done it I can't recommend it enough, this is life changing to meditate on the KJV bible word of God! Christians please read bible cover to cover very important to go cover to cover. I can't emphasize enough the importance of going cover to cover. OFFICIAL KING JAMES BIBLE ONLINE

Also for those who have read the bible cover to cover, good! now do it again. we always learn new things reading Gods word Bible

Scourby KJV Audio Bible

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Isaiah 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Isaiah 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

1 Peter 1:23, Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Last edited:

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IIt doesn't have to be straight Genesis to Revelation in order
That's the worst possible approach. People get bogged down in the OT and never make it past Numbers, and never read any of the New Testament at all. I recommend that everyone one read the NT first, and then start it over again immediately upon finishing it.

I wouldn't start the OT until I'd read the New Testament through at least twice. And then read the NT as well as the OT, chapter for chapter. The OT is history, our faith derives from the NT.
cover to cover can be finished in a few months.
I'm not all that concerned with "cover to cover". The main thing is to get the Gospels as much by heart as possible, followed by the rest of the New Testament (although I seldom read the Revelation. I think Luther's thoughts on it were spot on).
I have read NT cover to cover before in a very short amount of time.
That's where the good stuff is.
I was raised on the KJV, and it's the Anglican translation, after all, but for any who has trouble with the archaic English they need to grab a version that they can read and understand. If you can't read Shakespeare without getting confused, I'd say the KJV isn't for you.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,955.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is very important to read the Bible cover to cover multiple times,
Why?
It doesn't guarantee understanding, commitment, nor that anyone will not take verses out of context to prove a point.
It doesn't have to be straight Genesis to Revelation in order,
That's the worst way to read the Bible. I tried years ago and gave up in Leviticus.
this is life changing to meditate on the KJV bible word of God!
Reading, and meditating on, the Bible is life changing; it doesn't need to be the KJV.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
What's this got to do with the importance of reading the Bible cover to cover?

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

See what I mean about taking verses out of context?

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why?
It doesn't guarantee understanding, commitment, nor that anyone will not take verses out of context to prove a point.
The pure milk of the word will nourish the spirit and helpus to grow.
Learning to walk will not garuantee that you'll never trip or stumble either.

God will speak expressly to the opened hearted person through His word.
So we should read it. There are many ways to do so.

What's this got to do with the importance of reading the Bible cover to cover?
As your capacity grows and your hunger grows, to it is likely that your desire
to read more of the Bible will.
See what I mean about taking verses out of context?
Have you ever heard of being a "cautious failure?"

As you grow in grace, as you should, you'll learn decernment.
You will learn better interpretations over less adauquate ones.

You learn critical interpretations over others which one can hold less critical.
Learning from those who have a godly walk is better than learning from those who do not.

A good rule I advize:

If it warms up your heart towards Jesus Christ, causing you to love Him and want to
depend upon God more, it is at least a "safe" interpretation even if it is not that good.
It is at least "safe" even if you find improved understanding latter.

If it leaves your heart cold towards Jesus Christ and more prone to be independent from God,
there is something wrong with the interpretation, no matter how good it sounds.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,955.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The pure milk of the word will nourish the spirit and helpus to grow.
Learning to walk will not garuantee that you'll never trip or stumble either.

God will speak expressly to the opened hearted person through His word.
So we should read it. There are many ways to do so.
Reading the Bible; yes.
Reading the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, not necessarily.
If it works for you, do it. But I got so bogged down in Leviticus that I didn't get any further. Anyone who did that who didn't have a church/Bible background, might then give up on Scripture altogether.

It's best to read the NT first, to get a good grounding in, and be sure of, your faith - THEN tackle the OT.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading the Bible; yes.
Reading the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, not necessarily.
If it works for you, do it. But I got so bogged down in Leviticus that I didn't get any further. Anyone who did that who didn't have a church/Bible background, might then give up on Scripture altogether.

It's best to read the NT first, to get a good grounding in, and be sure of, your faith - THEN tackle the OT.
I would not usually advize a young or new believer to tackle Leviticus.
But there are untold riches there that are types of Christ which latter will be a great benefit.

What you describe is how I came to the OT.
I was a young typical product of the modern age.
First, I became convinced that the integrity of Jesus was beyond my questioning.
Based on that trust I opened up to Genesis and other Old Testament books.

That is how I came to love the whole word.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,955.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not usually advize a young or new believer to tackle Leviticus.
Me neither.
But there are untold riches there that are types of Christ which latter will be a great benefit.
Yes, there are - and I'm now able to appreciate Leviticus more.

But the OP seemed to be saying that it is recommend, even necessary, for all believers to read the Bible, cover to cover, at least once. Starting with Genesis; all the books of the Bible in order,
I was only questioning that position/insistence.
The Bible is probably the only book where were don't have to start at the beginning. It is better to start in the NT, get an understanding of the faith and who Jesus is, then go back and read how his coming was announced in the OT.

But we all read the Bible with the plan/in the way which is best for us.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me neither.

Yes, there are - and I'm now able to appreciate Leviticus more.

But the OP seemed to be saying that it is recommend, even necessary, for all believers to read the Bible, cover to cover, at least once. Starting with Genesis; all the books of the Bible in order,
I was only questioning that position/insistence.
The Bible is probably the only book where were don't have to start at the beginning. It is better to start in the NT, get an understanding of the faith and who Jesus is, then go back and read how his coming was announced in the OT.

But we all read the Bible with the plan/in the way which is best for us.
Since Christ is for us, who can be against us?
Amen.

I also like to sing the Bible. Visit my channel of Scripture songs #jackwilmoresongs
Like this verse above from Romans.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Bible can be heavy going, compared with a novel, so some of us older people can have difficulty reading large volume. What I have found entertaining is a set of DVDs, "Know the Bible in 24 Hours" by Chuck Missler, I hope that I have remembered the title correctly.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am currently reading through the Bible in order and finding it very valuable. I don't have a "plan," I just pick it up every day and read however much I have time for. I started with Genesis and have worked my way through now to 2 Chronicles.

It's not a method I would suggest to people just picking up a Bible for the first time - I agree with starting with the NT in that case. But wow, reading it this way is eye opening!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "Wonder Bible" is also finely read with a full heart and strong spirit.
We have a couple in English and one in Spanish. Fun to give away as a gift too.

It is a small transistor radio shaped device with the entire Bible on it.
A booklet comes along with it on how to select any book and chapter.

check ebay or Amazon.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Whenever I attempt to read the Bible cover to cover, I always get stuck in 1 Chronicles. Not the greatest advice IMO.

(and yes, I HAVE read the entire Bible cover to cover when I was a teen- and I'm STILL learning!)

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am currently reading through the Bible in order and finding it very valuable. I don't have a "plan," I just pick it up every day and read however much I have time for. I started with Genesis and have worked my way through now to 2 Chronicles.
You may eventully get to the part where our Lord and Savior shows up, but I suspect the majority of the "read it in order" folks never get there. Fact is, the New Testamant in infinitely more important than the OT. Start there! Then go back and read the history at your leisure.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whenever I attempt to read the Bible cover to cover, I always get stuck in 1 Chronicles. Not the greatest advice IMO.

(and yes, I HAVE read the entire Bible cover to cover when I was a teen- and I'm STILL learning!)
So much of 1 Chronicles is repeated from Samuel and Kings (which I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read it in order this way). I will admit I have considered skipping past the rest of it several times but I'm forcing myself to stay the course.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So much of 1 Chronicles is repeated from Samuel and Kings (which I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read it in order this way). I will admit I have considered skipping past the rest of it several times but I'm forcing myself to stay the course.
Yes! You're correct. It is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You may eventully get to the part where our Lord and Savior shows up, but I suspect the majority of the "read it in order" folks never get there. Fact is, the New Testamant in infinitely more important than the OT. Start there! Then go back and read the history at your leisure.
I have read the NT many times and am very familiar with it. I am much less familiar with the OT and trying to rectify that.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While the OT is filled with riches, reading it may lead people who don't take the time to study the historical context astray. Christ is in its pages, but in an obscured way that can easily be missed within the sin and darkness that so regularly took the Israelites captive. It is only by being firmly established in who Christ is that deep exposure to the OT can be beneficial. Not everyone is equipped to do that kind of studying, and the body is better off for that. While all believers should expose themselves to the Bible and be rooted in it, many should only do so through the guidance of those gifted to be teachers rather than trying to learn independently. Not everyone has the reading comprehension skills for such a task, so making a blanket recommendation like this is irresponsible.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,955.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While the OT is filled with riches, reading it may lead people who don't take the time to study the historical context astray. Christ is in its pages, but in an obscured way that can easily be missed within the sin and darkness that so regularly took the Israelites captive. It is only by being firmly established in who Christ is that deep exposure to the OT can be beneficial.
:oldthumbsup:
I was taught; read the NT first, get a grounding in your faith, learn what it's about, THEN tackle the OT.

I was a churchgoer for about 12 years before I made a commitment to Christ, and even then I didn't fully understand what I had done.
I think I wanted to read the Bible almost immediately - but I didn't really get further than Genesis because of the Creation/evolution debate. (Having a dad who was a scientist probably didn't help that.) Other aspects of the OT also caused me difficulties - e.g "why did God say 'you shall not kill' then kill Israel's enemies in battle?
I haven't fully sorted out all the answers, but now I am more secure in my faith, I feel much more confident in exploring the OT.

Reactions: Fervent
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was taught; read the NT first, get a grounding in your faith, learn what it's about, THEN tackle the OT.

I was a churchgoer for about 12 years before I made a commitment to Christ, and even then I didn't fully understand what I had done.
I think I wanted to read the Bible almost immediately - but I didn't really get further than Genesis because of the Creation/evolution debate. (Having a dad who was a scientist probably didn't help that.) Other aspects of the OT also caused me difficulties - e.g "why did God say 'you shall not kill' then kill Israel's enemies in battle?
I haven't fully sorted out all the answers, but now I am more secure in my faith, I feel much more confident in exploring the OT.
That's another great point, there is a lot of material in the OT that requires a firm foundation of faith to accept. The ages people attained, God asking for Isaac as a sacrifice, the "heroes" committing atrocities, imprecatory psalms. Anyone who can read the OT and not find themselves wrestling with difficult ethical questions is either not being honest with themselves or not paying attention. And all of that is setting aside the literary issues that make the material inaccessible that come from its origin as an oral tradition rather than a written document. There's a reason a lot of atheists abandoned faith by venturing into the Bible unaided by the wisdom and insight of the community of faith.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The word translated "kill" in the commandment is translated "murder[er]" 30 times in the KJV. Kill 4 times and slayer 16

• Informative
Upvote 0