How easy is it to lose your salvation?

How easy is it to lose your salvation

• Once born again, not possible

• Very difficult - apostasy needed

• Very difficult - lack of repentance over gross sin needed

• Quite possible - general back-sliding needed

• Quite easy - need to make Jesus Lord continually.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Incorrect premise but how else can you succinctly express the dilemma (it IS a dilemma, which has taxed the church since it's creation) which all sensitive and thinking Christians must think about.

it is not a dilemma . the bible instructs that anything that does not come from faith/trust is sin . since this question does not come from a trust of Jesus but a fear of God being like other people who are sinful and petty . it is a question i can disregard and research with questions that do come from a premise that is Godly .. Good .. and True .

why listen to sin? it never has anything good to say.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
one can easily reject a gift. Some see choosing to accept or reject the gift as earning salvation but I disagree.

Hello Dag

When the OP said 'loose your salvation' I thought it referred to those who were already saved, had already accepted that gift. As the word says in Romans 11:29, God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.

God Bless You:)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello Dag

When the OP said 'loose your salvation' I thought it referred to those who were already saved, had already accepted that gift.

Me too.

I wonder how things would look if we started over with some clarifications.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It was 'lose' your salvation not loose it, anyway.
Yes, it does refer to those already saved.
And yes, this is an issue for people like Dan Corner and David Pawson. I suppose they are listening to 'sin'.
If the answer is yes, I can assume that your dismissal of this issue is not one so lightly shared by some bible scholars.

It's not a dismissal of the issue per se, it's more Jesus' say .

for me to say would mean i'm not trusting Jesus to have his say on the matter .

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
well - I voted in the poll and I am not a "regular contributor" to Bridge Builders...

maybe some day I will be, I dunno

I don't know what "the majority of Protestants" would say on the issue - I would think maybe more OSAS

I have heard that Catholics might see "assurance of salvation" as a "sin of PRESUMPTION", but I am far from an expert on Catholic doctrine

The way the thread's title is worded, some OSAS believers might look at the thread title and say "Oh, this is for people who DO THINK you can lose your salvation, so I am not interested in it" and they don't vote - may not even look

even though the very first choice is an OSAS position

I do think it is a dilemma

I do not know if Paul writing that

"I count not myself to have apprehended" is even germane to the issue

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't vote in the poll. I don't like trying to define what makes a person "lose" salvation. I think if one is following Christ, there is no reason to worry. I also think a person who is following Christ can choose to stop following & walk away from the faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 16, 2013
Southampton, England
✟9,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can a sinner renounce their sinnerhood by their freewill without any faith in Christ? The answer is No. So what makes you think that once a person becomes saved by grace through faith, they can use their freewill to lose their salvation? Is what the first Adam did more powerful than what the last Adam did?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can a sinner renounce their sinnerhood by their freewill without any faith in Christ? The answer is No. So what makes you think that once a person becomes saved by grace through faith, they can use their freewill to lose their salvation? Is what the first Adam did more powerful than what the last Adam did?
why do you think it would come down to which one is more powerful? Of course what the last Adam did was more powerful but that does not mean it is not possible to lose ones salvation. You need a better argument than that.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2013
Malta
✟15,233.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I think that Jesus does not want us to live in constant fear of loosing our salvation, I personally believe that to loose salvation you need to go totally against the teachings of the Bible and not repent. For example: murder someone and you won't feel sorry for it!

I am no theologian and this is just my opinion :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think that Jesus does not want us to live in constant fear of loosing our salvation

Not only does Jesus not want us to live in constant fear, but he explicitly told his followers not to worry about it. He could not say that if there was any chance that they could fall away and lose their salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Amen!

When God made a covenant with Abraham he brought thick darkness and put Abraham to sleep so that Abraham would not be a party to the covenant. Abraham or his descendants cannot break the Abrahamic covenant, it is an Everlasting covenant dependent only on God.

In the same way the New Covenant, when Jesus was crucified God brought thick darkness over the earth. The New Covenant was made between God the father and God the son. We did not make it, we cannot break it. Jesus was able to say 'Tetelestai'= 'paid in full'. It is indeed paid in full.

So no, you cannot loose YOUR salvation. It's not YOUR salvation it's God's salvation.

:)

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

It is precisely BECAUSE the regenerate person has a freer will and a more enlightened existence that said person can, in principle, choose to abandon faith.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am curious to find out the opinion of the one who voted with the general back-slide :).

Is that like a "butt-dial"? Oh... wait... You said "back-SLIDE," not "back-SIDE." Never mind.

Upvote 0

leaniemeanie

Leanie
Apr 11, 2014
ontario-canada/
✟15,215.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
No you cannot lose your salvation if you were truly saved. Some think they are saved when in fact they are lost, and their lives show they are lost. A saved individual is a changed individual no long living to satisfy the lust of the flesh. For we are new creatures in Christ the old has passed away.

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord Romans 8:31-39.

I don't think a true Christian a truly saved individual will continue to live a life of sin, you cannot practice immorality and remain a Christian for then the spirit of truth does not live in you. so many will say it is not by works that you are saved, this is so true we were not saved by anything we did but once we are saved we are changed if we do not see change then it was false salvation. I have heard it said you cannot say that for again then you are saying works saved you, no i didn't say that I said that Salvation causes us to bear good fruit it is not us doing it is God working in us to do it, he changes our desires so that we do not desire to live according to the flesh but to live according to the spirit who guides us into all truth. So if you are walking outside the laws of God and call yourself a Christian repent now or you are not saved you cannot be for darkness does not dwell with the light for the light brings the darkness into the light and shows it for what it is, if the spirit of God is not showing us our sin and our need to turn from it Christ is not residing in you at all you are lost. Hebrews 12:5-7 "and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons, "MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD, NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM; FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES, AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES." It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?… there you have it if you are not being disciplined you are not his son or daughter you are lost but if you are his you are saved forever you cannot loose this salvation it is not possible for he will keep chastising you until you repent and change he won't give up on you, you were bought with a price now honor your bodies as living sacrifices to Christ who paid dearly for you.

Upvote 0