Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All I did was study church history as part of my M.Div.
It really doesn't show.
As far as Mary's bodily assumption, None of the Apostles knew anything about it, so it wasn't a known doctrine in the early church.
It is a bold claim that something was unknown simply because it wasn't recorded in the Scriptures.
It appeared around the 5th Century
Without any controversy at all, so it was clearly not something new or novel. Contrast that with the response the Church had to other innovations, such as the teachings of Nestorius or Arius among others. God always raised up champions to defend against false teaching yet there was never controversy surrounding the introduction of the Marian feasts to the liturgical calendar.
and was finally ratified as a doctrine of the Catholic Church in 1950.
There is a saying in the Orthodox Church, "we pray what we believe, we believe what we pray". If it is found in the liturgy then it fully ratified doctrine of the Church. It makes no difference to us when Rome decided to establish any particular dogma.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I saw that. But the first celebration of the Assumption was in the 5th Century. The belief arises from a apographical account where St Thomas was not present at the death of Mary, but arrived later to what was supposed to be her tomb and found it empty apart from the grave clothes. It is recognised by most scholars that the gospel of Thomas contains Gnostic belief and therefore is unreliable as a basis for Christian doctrine.
The account of Mary's burial and bodily assumption is not found in the gnostic "gospel of Thomas". Where did you study your Masters? What was the subject of your masters?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not here.

Attachments

• pope cons.gif
    pope cons.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Also some KJ Only guy posted this in Youtube:
Remember, Egypt is not looked upon favorably in the Bible. The Exodus of course being the big one. So why in the world would we trust a single text from a monastery in the Sinai more so than the thousands of manuscripts of faithful believers who died for those texts? Itching ears I suppose. 2 Tim 4:3 Even Joseph's bones were taken out of Egypt with the children of Israel. Gen 50:25

Upvote 0

Concord1968

LCMS Lutheran
Sep 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟23,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also some KJ Only guy posted this in Youtube:
Remember, Egypt is not looked upon favorably in the Bible. The Exodus of course being the big one. So why in the world would we trust a single text from a monastery in the Sinai more so than the thousands of manuscripts of faithful believers who died for those texts? Itching ears I suppose. 2 Tim 4:3 Even Joseph's bones were taken out of Egypt with the children of Israel. Gen 50:25
That sounds like Sam Gipp.....

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It really doesn't show.

It is a bold claim that something was unknown simply because it wasn't recorded in the Scriptures.

Without any controversy at all, so it was clearly not something new or novel. Contrast that with the response the Church had to other innovations, such as the teachings of Nestorius or Arius among others. God always raised up champions to defend against false teaching yet there was never controversy surrounding the introduction of the Marian feasts to the liturgical calendar.

There is a saying in the Orthodox Church, "we pray what we believe, we believe what we pray". If it is found in the liturgy then it fully ratified doctrine of the Church. It makes no difference to us when Rome decided to establish any particular dogma.
Well, you guys can add to the Scriptures if you want and believe the doctrines, as long as you take notice of Proverbs 30:5-6. I can't change your view about the doctrine because it is so foundational to Catholic faith. But if it proves to be false, it might suck to be you in the Judgment.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, you guys can add to the Scriptures if you want and believe the doctrines, as long as you take notice of Proverbs 30:5-6.
Notice Proverbs doesn't say written word
I can't change your view about the doctrine because it is so foundational to Catholic faith. But if it proves to be false, it might suck to be you in the Judgment.
I'm not Catholic :doh:

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Notice Proverbs doesn't say written word

I'm not Catholic :doh:
Actually, I have just moved to another city and don't have a church to go to. so I don't have any religious labels at present. That must make me a "zilch"! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I have just moved to another city and don't have a church to go to. so I don't have any religious labels at present. That must make me a "zilch"! :)
From your avatar, I thought you would always identify as Cat-olic ^_^

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
From your avatar, I thought you would always identify as Cat-olic ^_^
The ginger ninja gives me his views all the time, but I haven't gained the gift of interpreting his tongue! But it is interesting that he has a different meow for different ways he wants to express himself to me. I also have a chocolate brown Burmese cat who answers me when I talk to him. He has a loud, insistent meow when he wants to attract my attention, but a quiet appreciative meow when I rub his tummy! I treat my two cats as members of my family. My wife talks to them more than I do!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I dont like cats. Except with fries!
One of our cats got out and went missing for around three days before he returned home again. I was mentioning it to a work colleague who said I could ask around the Korean restaurants!!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One of our cats got out and went missing for around three days before he returned home again. I was mentioning it to a work colleague who said I could ask around the Korean restaurants!!
There is a suburb in Sydney with a high Vietnamese population. There are no stray dogs in that suburb.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is a suburb in Sydney with a high Vietnamese population. There are no stray dogs in that suburb.
That could be an answer to dealing with our feral cat problem which is threatening our native bird life. Our national bird, the kiwi, is especially threatened by feral cats. I'm sure that our increasing Korean immigrants will welcome the opportunity to hunt them down to supplement their diet!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That could be an answer to dealing with our feral cat problem which is threatening our native bird life. Our national bird, the kiwi, is especially threatened by feral cats. I'm sure that our increasing Korean immigrants will welcome the opportunity to hunt them down to supplement their diet!
As long as they understand that the Kiwi is protected.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
As long as they understand that the Kiwi is protected.
I was talking about hunting down the feral cats, not the Kiwi. Anyone here who hunted Kiwi would be kidnapped by the local Maori and used as "long pig" in their next hangi! (Hangi is the word describing the traditional Maori method of cooking where they dig a pit, fill it with stones, heat them up, put the food on top, then cover it with a layer of earth and allow several hours of cooking).

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was talking about hunting down the feral cats, not the Kiwi.
I knew that, but you need to make sure the immigrants know too. The reason the Dodo became extinct is because it was absolutely delicious. The Kiwi might be similar.

Upvote 0