How does a Christian serve as a king and a priest on the earth?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Revelation 5:
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain,
and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

As a king, humbled by the fear of God found in the knowledge of the Law
Deuteronomy 17:
18 Also it shall be, when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write for himself
a copy of this law in a book, from the one before the priests, the Levites.
19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God
and be careful to observe all the words of this law and these statutes,
20 that his heart may not be lifted above his brethren, that he may not turn aside from the commandment
to the right hand or to the left, and that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he and his children in the midst of Israel.

As a priest, by the knowledge of God found in the Law revealed to Levi
Malachi 2:
5 My covenant was with him, one of life and peace,
And I gave them to him that he might fear Me;
So he feared Me
And was reverent before My name.
6 The law of truth was in his mouth,
And injustice was not found on his lips.
He walked with Me in peace and equity,
And turned many away from iniquity.
7 For the lips of a priest should keep knowledge,
And people should seek the law from his mouth;
For he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts.

8 But you have departed from the way;
You have caused many to stumble at the law.
You have corrupted the covenant of Levi,
Says the Lord of hosts.
9 Therefore I also have made you contemptible and base
Before all the people,
Because you have not kept My ways
But have shown partiality in the law

We have been told that we are not under law, but grace by faith.
Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith?
Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

There are those who do not have this knowledge, because...
Romans 3:18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

The Law of Christ is every bit as strict as the Law revealed to Moses and Aaron.

James 2:
1 My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality.
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture,
You shall love your neighbor as yourself, you do well;
9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty.

13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Matthew 18:
Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, You wicked servant!

I forgave you all that debt because you begged me.
33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?
34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.
So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart,
does not forgive his brother his trespasses.

Matthew 6:
14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Last edited:

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

How does a Christian serve as a king and a priest on the earth?​

We won't, thats the millennial kingdom you are referring to i think, & it will be a 100% Jewish kingdom as Jesus is the King and Messiah of the Jews.
It will be the apostles and Jewish patriarchs that will rule with Jesus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How does a Christian serve as a king and a priest on the earth?​

We won't, thats the millennial kingdom you are referring to i think, & it will be a 100% Jewish kingdom as Jesus is the King and Messiah of the Jews.
It will be the apostles and Jewish patriarchs that will rule with Jesus
Rev 1:6 and Ex 19:6 says that only Isrel will be kings and priests and that will be in the MELLINIAL KINGDOM with Christ being a HIGH PRIEST after the order of Melchisedec , Heb 4:6-10 .

dan p

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Rev 1:6 and Ex 19:6 says that only Isrel will be kings and priests and that will be in the MELLINIAL KINGDOM with Christ being a HIGH PRIEST after the order of Melchisedec , Heb 4:6-10 .

dan p
1 Peter 2:
9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation,
His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you
out of darkness into His marvelous light;
10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not
obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

No offense intended, but if the post #1 study were read,
the passages from the scriptures lay out expected behavior
for both priests and kings that all believers should apply to their walk.
The Millennial Kingdom is completely off topic.
In grace and truth,
James
Christian ministry is founded upon the order of Melchizedek.
Much has been said about lineage and succession, as well as covenants associated with the priesthood of Aaron.
Not much has been said about "the order of", which pertains to how the priesthood functioned day to day,
which was established not only in the Law, but also by David at the time he received the vision for the Temple.
This system was still in place at the time of John's birth.

Luke 1:8 So it was, that while he was serving as priest before God in the order of his division.

This continuity was maintained by Ezra/Nehemiah.

Ezra 3:10 When the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the Lord, the priests stood in their apparel with trumpets, and the Levites, the sons of Asaph, with cymbals, to praise the Lord, according to the ordinance of David king of Israel.

Ezra 6:18 They assigned the priests to their divisions and the Levites to their divisions, over the service of God in Jerusalem, as it is written in the Book of Moses.

Nehemiah 12:45 Both the singers and the gatekeepers kept the charge of their God and the charge of the purification, according to the command of David and Solomon his son. 46 For in the days of David and Asaph of old there were chiefs of the singers, and songs of praise and thanksgiving to God.

The ordinances of David facilitated the transition to the Temple centered worship, along with the foreshadowing of the church's role of offering "the sacrifice of praise". The order of the priesthood was established by divisions, or courses, 24 in all.
This ordering was centered on Temple worship, where the people were required to make pilgrimage to where the Lord "placed His Name".
So what do we find in regards to the "order of Melchizedek".

Hebrews 7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him.

Melchizedek went out to meet Abram! Until the Lord fulfilled His promises to A, I, and J by taking Israel out of Egypt and established His covenant with them, there was to our knowledge limited contact between the Lord, and a chosen few.

How do we see this order of Melchizedek, of a priesthood that goes out to meet the people, being played out on earth in Christ?

Matthew 28:
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen.

And yet, in the Millennial kingdom, the people of all the nations that remain are required to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem annually for the Great feast! Why?
Because when He sent his messengers to them, they did not answer.

What is being overlooked is; why God would send His priest to Abram at this particular time?
Hebrews 7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God,
who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him.

Consider what this blessing would mean for a man who was committed to walking in righteousness before God. He felt that his hand had been forced by the abduction of Lot, but his heart would surely have been heavy after having participated in a slaughter. The joy of victory would have been tempered by the burden of shedding blood. For the priest of the Most High to come to him and bless him, would have given him the peace of mind he needed, to know that he remained in God's favor.

"the order of" in the Hebrew dibra is also translated estate and cause.

Job 5:8 But as for me, I would seek God,
And to God I would commit my cause

Ecclesiastes 3:18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men,
that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they are beasts.

A man without the spirit of God is merely a beast. Worse, if he receives power from the darkness, he is Satan's beast!
Hebrews 7 informs us that the cause and estate of Melchizedek is expressed through his name.
2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated king of righteousness,
and then also king of Salem, meaning king of peace,

Abram's actions were justified by the blessing of righteousness and peace.
The kingdom of heaven under the New Covenant is righteousness and peace,
along with joy of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17

And yes, it is controversial, because most Christians know diddly squat about
"the order of Melchizedek".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
dan p
Rev. including vs. 1:6 is not addressed to Jews, it is addressed to 7 former pagan gentile Christian churches in Asia, modern day; Turkey, Ephesus, Smyrna Pergamum Thyatira , Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Peter 2:
9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation,
His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you
out of darkness into His marvelous light;
10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not
obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

No offense intended, but if the post #1 study were read,
the passages from the scriptures lay out expected behavior
for both priests and kings that all believers should apply to their walk.
The Millennial Kingdom is completely off topic.
In grace and truth,
James
Christian ministry is founded upon the order of Melchizedek.
Much has been said about lineage and succession, as well as covenants associated with the priesthood of Aaron.
Not much has been said about "the order of", which pertains to how the priesthood functioned day to day,
which was established not only in the Law, but also by David at the time he received the vision for the Temple.
This system was still in place at the time of John's birth.

Luke 1:8 So it was, that while he was serving as priest before God in the order of his division.

This continuity was maintained by Ezra/Nehemiah.

Ezra 3:10 When the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the Lord, the priests stood in their apparel with trumpets, and the Levites, the sons of Asaph, with cymbals, to praise the Lord, according to the ordinance of David king of Israel.

Ezra 6:18 They assigned the priests to their divisions and the Levites to their divisions, over the service of God in Jerusalem, as it is written in the Book of Moses.

Nehemiah 12:45 Both the singers and the gatekeepers kept the charge of their God and the charge of the purification, according to the command of David and Solomon his son. 46 For in the days of David and Asaph of old there were chiefs of the singers, and songs of praise and thanksgiving to God.

The ordinances of David facilitated the transition to the Temple centered worship, along with the foreshadowing of the church's role of offering "the sacrifice of praise". The order of the priesthood was established by divisions, or courses, 24 in all.
This ordering was centered on Temple worship, where the people were required to make pilgrimage to where the Lord "placed His Name".
So what do we find in regards to the "order of Melchizedek".

Hebrews 7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him.

Melchizedek went out to meet Abram! Until the Lord fulfilled His promises to A, I, and J by taking Israel out of Egypt and established His covenant with them, there was to our knowledge limited contact between the Lord, and a chosen few.

How do we see this order of Melchizedek, of a priesthood that goes out to meet the people, being played out on earth in Christ?

Matthew 28:
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen.

And yet, in the Millennial kingdom, the people of all the nations that remain are required to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem annually for the Great feast! Why?
Because when He sent his messengers to them, they did not answer.

What is being overlooked is; why God would send His priest to Abram at this particular time?
Hebrews 7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God,
who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him.

Consider what this blessing would mean for a man who was committed to walking in righteousness before God. He felt that his hand had been forced by the abduction of Lot, but his heart would surely have been heavy after having participated in a slaughter. The joy of victory would have been tempered by the burden of shedding blood. For the priest of the Most High to come to him and bless him, would have given him the peace of mind he needed, to know that he remained in God's favor.

"the order of" in the Hebrew dibra is also translated estate and cause.

Job 5:8 But as for me, I would seek God,
And to God I would commit my cause

Ecclesiastes 3:18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men,
that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they are beasts.

A man without the spirit of God is merely a beast. Worse, if he receives power from the darkness, he is Satan's beast!
Hebrews 7 informs us that the cause and estate of Melchizedek is expressed through his name.
2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated king of righteousness,
and then also king of Salem, meaning king of peace,

Abram's actions were justified by the blessing of righteousness and peace.
The kingdom of heaven under the New Covenant is righteousness and peace,
along with joy of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17

And yes, it is controversial, because most Christians know diddly squat about
"the order of Melchizedek".
All the passages you quoted were written for Jewish audiences. Peter was an apostle to the Jew, the Book of Hebrews literally has the title of Hebrews. The entirety of the old testament was & is Jewish scripture & applies to Jews because it is for & about Jews. Gentiles were NEVER in the picture of Gods favor until the new testament.

Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rev. including vs. 1:6 is not addressed to Jews, it is addressed to 7 former pagan gentile Christian churches in Asia, modern day; Turkey, Ephesus, Smyrna Pergamum Thyatira , Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea.
There is a case to be made that the understanding that the 7 churches of Revelation are Christian churches is wrong and that they are in fact Jewish churches, specifically groups of Jews that had come to believe and accept Jesus as the Jewish Messiah.

See this video form the marked timestamp on for more:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, Israel, ie not the gentiles or Christians, but people living under the law of Moses.
There is no Jew or Gentile in Christ. You do greatly err, not knowing the scriptures, or the power of God. It does not matter who authored the epistle to the Hebrews, any Gospel or letter, Acts or Revelation. They are all of the One Spirit, which is Christ. Any other Gospel is of the spirit of anti-Christ and accursed. I cannot offer you the right hand of fellowship or wish you godspeed.
Galatians 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no Jew or Gentile in Christ. You do greatly err, not knowing the scriptures, or the power of God. It does not matter who authored the epistle to the Hebrews, any Gospel or letter, Acts or Revelation. They are all of the One Spirit, which is Christ. Any other Gospel is of the spirit of anti-Christ and accursed. I cannot offer you the right hand of fellowship or wish you godspeed.
Galatians 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.
"There is no Jew or Gentile in Christ." - Correct, since the start of the Dispensation of Grace all the way up to the Rapture of the Church.

After the rapture the Law of Moses will be in operation again, the dispensation of grace will be over, and the Jews will need to come to acknowledge Jesus as their Messiah and be saved by belief in Him, baptism & repentance & endure till the end of the tribulation or their lives, whichever comes first. Any other person, non Jew, alive at that time will need to do the same to be saved, ie become a messianic Jew.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
"There is no Jew or Gentile in Christ." - Correct, since the start of the Dispensation of Grace all the way up to the Rapture of the Church.

After the rapture the Law of Moses will be in operation again, the dispensation of grace will be over, and the Jews will need to come to acknowledge Jesus as their Messiah and be saved by belief in Him, baptism & repentance & endure till the end of the tribulation or their lives, whichever comes first. Any other person, non Jew, alive at that time will need to do the same to be saved, ie become a messianic Jew.
So you think Peter was addressing the Jews who will need to come to Christ, after the rapture and this "dispensation of grace"?

Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you think Peter was addressing the Jews who will need to come to Christ, after the rapture and this "dispensation of grace"?
The way i'm currently seeing it, Peter was addressing the Jews that were alive & would be alive during the tribulation, whenever that 7 year period occurred.
He is an apostle to the Jews, and the Jews will have their Kingdom with Jesus as its King, Israel will be the dominant nation in the world. If the Jews had not rejected Christ, with final rejection at the stoning of Stephen who had witnessed to the high priest & council in Acts7, it would all have happened already.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a case to be made that the understanding that the 7 churches of Revelation are Christian churches is wrong and that they are in fact Jewish churches, specifically groups of Jews that had come to believe and accept Jesus as the Jewish Messiah.
See this video form the marked timestamp on for more:
I don't do links. I'm sure that certain "scholars" can make a very plausible sounding argument that the seven churches in Asia were Jewish but the name counters that. Jewish meeting places were called synagogues not churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't do links. I'm sure that certain "scholars" can make a very plausible sounding argument that the seven churches in Asia were Jewish but the name counters that. Jewish meeting places were called synagogues not churches.
While church is typically today associated with a Christian congregation for the express purpose of worshiping, historically it just meant a gathering of believers and was applied to Jewish groups also. A group of Jews would worship in a synagogue but a gathering or grouping can and was called a church, or more correctly an ekklesia.

from What is the definition of ekklesia? | GotQuestions.org
Understanding the definition of ekklesia (and its alternate spelling ecclesia) is an important component of understanding the church. Ekklesia is a Greek word defined as “a called-out assembly or congregation.” Ekklesia is commonly translated as “church” in the New Testament

The Greek word ekklēsia, which came to mean church, was originally applied in the Classical period to an official assembly of citizens. In the Septuagint (Greek) translation of the Old Testament (3rd–2nd century BCE), the term ekklēsia is used for the general assembly of the Jewish people, especially when gathered for a religious purpose such as hearing the Law (e.g., Deuteronomy 9:10, 18:16).

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said to his disciples,
"Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself,
take up his cross, and follow me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

• Informative
Reactions: OldAbramBrown
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While church is typically today associated with a Christian congregation for the express purpose of worshiping, historically it just meant a gathering of believers and was applied to Jewish groups also. A group of Jews would worship in a synagogue but a gathering or grouping can and was called a church, or more correctly an ekklesia.
from What is the definition of ekklesia? | GotQuestions.org
Understanding the definition of ekklesia (and its alternate spelling ecclesia) is an important component of understanding the church. Ekklesia is a Greek word defined as “a called-out assembly or congregation.” Ekklesia is commonly translated as “church” in the New Testament
The Greek word ekklēsia, which came to mean church, was originally applied in the Classical period to an official assembly of citizens. In the Septuagint (Greek) translation of the Old Testament (3rd–2nd century BCE), the term ekklēsia is used for the general assembly of the Jewish people, especially when gathered for a religious purpose such as hearing the Law (e.g., Deuteronomy 9:10, 18:16).
One reference in Acts 7:38 does not make it a common occurrence. If Rev was written to a primarily Jewish audience why was it not written in Hebrew?

Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One reference in Acts 7:38 does not make it a common occurrence. If Rev was written to a primarily Jewish audience why was it not written in Hebrew?
Not sure what point you are trying to make with Acts7:8. There was a significant Jewish population in Greece at the time as in many other parts of the known world. I am not a linguistics expert so do not know how well Jews that were brought up in ancient Greece spoke or wrote Hebrew. How well do modern day Jews NOT living in Israel speak Hebrew??

1691770244934.png

From Wikipedia:
Most scholars now date the demise of Hebrew as a spoken language to the end of the Roman period, or about 200 CE.[44] It continued on as a literary language down through the Byzantine period from the 4th century CE.

Lastly, who am i to judge whom God inspired to write a book of the Bible and in what language. Why wasn't the New Testament written in Indian or Chinese as they are the most populous nations, together comprising nearly half of humanity

Attachments

• 1691770215995.png
    1691770215995.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure what point you are trying to make with Acts7:8. There was a significant Jewish population in Greece at the time as in many other parts of the known world. I am not a linguistics expert so do not know how well Jews that were brought up in ancient Greece spoke or wrote Hebrew. How well do modern day Jews NOT living in Israel speak Hebrew??

View attachment 334432

From Wikipedia:
Most scholars now date the demise of Hebrew as a spoken language to the end of the Roman period, or about 200 CE.[44] It continued on as a literary language down through the Byzantine period from the 4th century CE.

Lastly, who am i to judge whom God inspired to write a book of the Bible and in what language. Why wasn't the New Testament written in Indian or Chinese as they are the most populous nations, together comprising nearly half of humanity
Which language(s) a people may/may not speak in current times is not the question but the languages they spoke/read/understood when the NT was being lived and written. I see above the unsupported opinions of scholars which are not convincing. Also wiki can be changed, added to or deleted from without any review.

Upvote 0