✟309.00
Faith
Christian
Do you view Islam to be a:

1. Christian heresy? or a

2. Non-Christian religion that is:
a. from God but was wrongly interpreted, understood, set down
b. not from God, totally man-made

Note that if it is from God but wrongly understood, that would require an answer to the question: "why would God send his message to someone who was unable to understand or in an unitelligable form?"

Basically, I'm interested in knowing how Christians view Islam. Do you believe Muslims give glory to the same God that Christians do?

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
christianbeginning said:

Historically, it is a Christian heresy. Mohammed copied much of Christianity, replacing portions as needed, in order to unite his people.

Note that if it is from God but wrongly understood, that would require an answer to the question: "why would God send his message to someone who was unable to understand or in an unitelligable form?"

Are you refering to his supposed revelation?

Basically, I'm interested in knowing how Christians view Islam. Do you believe Muslims give glory to the same God that Christians do?

They glorified a distorted concept of God.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
christianbeginning said:

same God? Yes, but it is a non Christian religion that is not from God.
that may sound paradoxical, but I believe that they worship the same God as there is only one. It is misguided by a few in the beginning of the religion that passed along real truths--monotheism, for example, but taught so many heresies--especially concerning the truth of salvation through Christ alone--that it is no longer a Christian religion by definition

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I could use an education here...I was under the impression that Islam traced its roots to Ishmael, Abraham's first son, born of Hagar.

Gen 17:18 And Abraham said to God, "If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!"
19 Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year."

Accordingly...if Islam is indeed of Ishmael, then wouldn't God have established this? Not that there are any promises other than that of a great nation associated with this lineage...God clearly indicates His covenent is with Isaac.

Anxious to learn more....

Rose

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luthers Rose said:
I could use an education here...I was under the impression that Islam traced its roots to Ishmael, Abraham's first son, born of Hagar.

Gen 17:18 And Abraham said to God, "If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!"
19 Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year."

Accordingly...if Islam is indeed of Ishmael, then wouldn't God have established this? Not that there are any promises other than that of a great nation associated with this lineage...God clearly indicates His covenent is with Isaac.

Anxious to learn more....

Rose
Islamic people do believe they are the sons of Ishmael. However, it was born out of a culture that included Judaism, Christianity, and Zoroastrianism (spelling?). Muhammed was raised with great influences by all of these religions--and there is commonality with each of them and Islam. Muhammed (is that spelled right--it's late) went off to meditate (common with Zoroastrianism) and returned to say he had been given instructions by God (again, common with Zoroastrianism). His visions, however, united a people and developed into a new religion.

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Luthers Rose said:

The Arab peoples claim to be the great nation God established through Ishmael. Although Mohammed was an Arab, we should not confuse Islam with Arabs. Not all Arabs are Muslims, and not all Muslims are Arabs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
christianbeginning said:

It is not a Christian heresy, because they don't believe that Jesus Christ was/is the son of God. "God cannot be begotten..." Allah is not God, no matter what they might say. In order to be a Christian Heresy they would haveto be Christ based which they are/were not.

Islam is in my opinion from God but from the God of this world, Satan. It is contradictory from the words of God and from His own Son.

Do I believe Muslims give the God the same glory that we do? No unless they mean Satan and then yes.

Upvote 0

christianbeginning

Sep 28, 2003
Visit site
✟309.00
Faith
Christian
It is not a Christian heresy, because they don't believe that Jesus Christ was/is the son of God.

Brought up the heresy question because in the early days of Christianity, Christian theologians contended with those who did not believe that Jesus was the son of God and considered their beliefs to be heretical.

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
If one denies Christ, then one denies God. Christ cannot be separated from God. Only when one believes in the Trinity can one truly be a Christian. Any faith that claims contrary to the Trinitarian God, is derived from Satan, and working against the one True God.

Anticipating the next question...

Jews, who deny the Deity of Christ, do not worship the one true God.

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Reactions: SumTinWong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

deu58

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
✟11,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hello all

Celtic flower said

Whatever Islam is, it seems to be misunderstood by those not of it and misused by many who claim to be its members. Kinda like any other religion, don't ya think?

Celtie
Very sad but also very true

yours in Christ
deu58

Upvote 0

deu58

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
✟11,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Phillip

Philip said:
That is not entirely accurate.
I am a seaman by trade and we have alot of Yemeni muslims in the industry.
All that I Have talked to tell me they do believe he is the messiah.

They tell me that they see him as a great prophet. I only talk to them in passing because I work in a different department than most them.

Am I misunderstanding something or maybe asking them the question in the wrong manner where maybe they do not understand what I am asking?

For most of these people English is a second language so may be I need to present my questions in a different manner.

Could you expand a little and share why you say They do accept him as messiah.

When it comes to Islam I have many more questions than I do answers.

yours in Christ
deu58

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I sometimes seem to think of Mohammed of fitting the mold of a messiah as the Jews were expecting him to be. He seems to be more of a Barabbas figure that the Jewish mob chose to let go free instead of their Jesus Christ. Maybe that is where the Moslem story of the real Isa escaping the cross comes from. Perhaps the figure of Isa is more Barabbas than Jesus.

To be considered a specifically Christian heresy, Islam should really be shown to have developed primarily from Christian sources. But Jewish influences into the ideas of Islam have always been greater than Chrisitan influence, and every belief system that Mohammed may have had contact with also seems to have influenced as well. Nestorian Christianity and other Christian heresies that existed on the fringes of Christendom are the main forms of Christianity that Mohammed both blended into his religion and excluded from his religion.

Very likely, Mohammed did go into trances or some forms of altered consciousness when receiving his visions. However, there are clues left behind in the hadiths that indicate that Mohammed's main intent was not primarily the spiritual enlightenment of his people, but rather his intentions were to establish himself and his followers as a political force in the region.

Definitely for his followers, unity among the different people of the rapidly expanding religion was of primary importance. The original compilation of the Koran was even destroyed in order that only one version of the Koran would be used! The hadiths explicitly spell out that unity of belief was the motivation for such acts.

While the term man-made is not one I would personally use, perhaps the formation of Islam could be more aptly described as receiving its main inspiration from the baser goals of human strivings, and not from the higher spiritual goal of atonement with God.

That being said, like people everwhere, spiritually inclined people in Islam strive towards establishing a relationship with God. There is only one God, and He answers the prayers of all who pray to Him with a sincere heart. So even if the vehicle that delivers Moslems to worship God is flawed, God Himself remains perfect and his grace extends to all who are willing to recieve it.

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
deu58 said:
Could you expand a little and share why you say They do accept him as messiah.

Sure. They accept Jesus [Isa in the Qur'an] as the Messiah, the annointed of God.

From the Qur'an:
[3.45] When the angels said: O Marium, surely Allah gives you good news with a Word from Him (of one) whose name is the '. Messiah, Isa son of Marium, worthy of regard in this world and the hereafter and of those who are made near (to Allah).

[4.157] And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.​

Do Muslims accept Christ as the Son of God or God the Son? No. The Qur'an explicitly denies that Christ is the Only Begotten. However, they do give Him the title 'Messiah'.

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
solomon said:
I sometimes seem to think of Mohammed of fitting the mold of a messiah as the Jews were expecting him to be. He seems to be more of a Barabbas figure that the Jewish mob chose to let go free instead of their Jesus Christ. Maybe that is where the Moslem story of the real Isa escaping the cross comes from. Perhaps the figure of Isa is more Barabbas than Jesus.

To be considered a specifically Christian heresy, Islam should really be shown to have developed primarily from Christian sources. But Jewish influences into the ideas of Islam have always been greater than Chrisitan influence, and every belief system that Mohammed may have had contact with also seems to have influenced as well. Nestorian Christianity and other Christian heresies that existed on the fringes of Christendom are the main forms of Christianity that Mohammed both blended into his religion and excluded from his religion.

Very likely, Mohammed did go into trances or some forms of altered consciousness when receiving his visions. However, there are clues left behind in the hadiths that indicate that Mohammed's main intent was not primarily the spiritual enlightenment of his people, but rather his intentions were to establish himself and his followers as a political force in the region.

Definitely for his followers, unity among the different people of the rapidly expanding religion was of primary importance. The original compilation of the Koran was even destroyed in order that only one version of the Koran would be used! The hadiths explicitly spell out that unity of belief was the motivation for such acts.

While the term man-made is not one I would personally use, perhaps the formation of Islam could be more aptly described as receiving its main inspiration from the baser goals of human strivings, and not from the higher spiritual goal of atonement with God.

That being said, like people everwhere, spiritually inclined people in Islam strive towards establishing a relationship with God. There is only one God, and He answers the prayers of all who pray to Him with a sincere heart. So even if the vehicle that delivers Moslems to worship God is flawed, God Himself remains perfect and his grace extends to all who are willing to recieve it.

Touching.

This line of thinking derives from man's understanding of justice. This sort of thought is dangerously false, as it camouflages the truth. If one denies Christ as God, then one is lost. It is not kind to sugar coat this truth to the ungodly muslims, nor to any other heathen.

There is no substitute for the proper distinction and of actual Law and pure Gospel.

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.