Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The controversial activist cited Palestinian suffering in Gaza as part of the inspiration for his conversion.​

Shaun King speaks at the Valley Ranch Islamic Center in Irving, Texas. (Video screen grab)

(RNS) — Shaun King, a onetime Christian pastor who has sparked controversy in the past with his strident liberal activism, converted to Islam with his wife, Rai, over the weekend.

Video of King saying the shahada, the Muslim profession of faith, appeared on XSunday evening, as did separate footage of him speaking about his embrace of Islam at the Valley Ranch Islamic Center in Irving, Texas.

In various clips, King was accompanied by Omar Suleiman, founder of the Yaqueen Institute and imam at VRIC (and a Religion News Service columnist). Suleiman noted that he and King have had “multiple discussions” about faith over the course of nearly a decade, before offering the microphone to King to explain the timing of his conversion.

“More than anything it’s been friendship, sincere friendship, and just the deep ocean of faith of the Palestinian people that’s moved my heart,” said King, who has become active in the cause of supporting Palestinian rights since Israel began its ground assault into the Gaza Strip in retaliation for the Oct. 7 attacks.

Immediately before King said the shahada, Suleiman stressed that, upon making the declaration of faith, “Islam does away with everything that comes before, and so every sin that you have committed, any wrong, any mistakes up until this moment, are completely forgiven.”

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never heard of this guy before. I can't pretend to understand the pathways of his reasoning, but if he is, as the article says, a "strident liberal activist", then I can't say that I'm terribly surprised. God will be his judge, not I.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never heard of this guy before. I can't pretend to understand the pathways of his reasoning, but God will be his judge, not I.
I’m surprised. He is a white guy that claims to be black. Has had several controversies in his supposed activism. Some call him Talcum X.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m surprised. He is a white guy that claims to be black.
(shrug) That's not so unusual. We have men claiming to be women, women claiming to be men, white Congresswomen claiming to be Native American, adolescents by the bucketload claiming to be "non-binary", schoolkids claiming to be kittens and puppies, so why not? When the world you inhabit has tipped over into a la-la fantasyland, the possibilities are endless. ^_^
Has had several controversies in his supposed activism. Some call him Talcum X.
"Talcum X". LOL! Sort of like "Vanilla Ice", eh? ;)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(shrug) That's not so unusual. We have men claiming to be women, women claiming to be men, white Congresswomen claiming to be Native American, adolescents by the bucketload claiming to be "non-binary", schoolkids claiming to be kittens and puppies, so why not? When the world you inhabit has tipped over into a la-la fantasyland, the possibilities are endless. ^_^

"Talcum X". LOL! Sort of like "Vanilla Ice", eh? ;)
Lol! Yeah. The guy jumps on every available bandwagon.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would a liberal convert to Islam? That’s a bit weird
The article goes into some detail. It’s really all about Palestine. And Islam
Is not going to cramp a man’s style like women. The women are the ones that are stifled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Never heard of this guy before. I can't pretend to understand the pathways of his reasoning, but if he is, as the article says, a "strident liberal activist", then I can't say that I'm terribly surprised. God will be his judge, not I.
They call him "Talcum X" cause he's a phony. The dude gets real vocal when racial controversy is peaking and gets all BLM on everyone even though he's white. It looks like he finally ran out of bullets in that gun so he switched to a Muslim one, I guess he can't go without his "perceived oppression fix".

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They call him "Talcum X" cause he's a phony. The dude gets real vocal when racial controversy is peaking and gets all BLM on everyone even though he's white. It looks like he finally ran out of bullets in that gun so he switched to a Muslim one, I guess he can't go without his "perceived oppression fix".
The man is a joke imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another member of the Professionally Offended. :rolleyes: Not like we have a shortage of them, or anything......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums