Oregon
✟18,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have the opportunity to lead a small group Bible study and I am looking for some advice. While I have a pretty firm understanding of how to personally study the Bible (commentaries, concordance searches, word studies, etc.), I have never lead a group before. I am struggling a bit because while I personally think deep dives into Scripture are the way to go, I am being told that not every believer wants to do that (lol, what?).

Does anyone have any resources or references that I can use to learn how to run a Bible study for a group of people with different levels of faith and intellectual abilities? I have taken a few seminary level classes on Biblical studies and Apologetics and know a bit of Koine Greek, but have no formal training in spiritual ministry. Any help would be appreciated. Stories are welcome too. Thanks!

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have the opportunity to lead a small group Bible study and I am looking for some advice. While I have a pretty firm understanding of how to personally study the Bible (commentaries, concordance searches, word studies, etc.), I have never lead a group before. I am struggling a bit because while I personally think deep dives into Scripture are the way to go, I am being told that not every believer wants to do that (lol, what?).

Does anyone have any resources or references that I can use to learn how to run a Bible study for a group of people with different levels of faith and intellectual abilities? I have taken a few seminary level classes on Biblical studies and Apologetics and know a bit of Koine Greek, but have no formal training in spiritual ministry. Any help would be appreciated. Stories are welcome too. Thanks!
I would prepare by making certain that I have all my notes on the passages you are going to study, it is helpful if you anticipate the questions, if no one asks those questions you can ask them as discussion questions. If you have done a good prep you should be able to enrich the group with knowledge that they would not have obtained outside the study. If questions come up that you did not anticipate and cannot answer tell them you will research and answer those questions at your next meeting. I suggest that you start with a group prayer asking the Holy Spirit to help everyone to a new and more complete understanding of God's word.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For discussion, would probably want to limit how long one can respond because there will be one who needs attention.

Are you going to pick the topic or book to begin? Which version(s) of the Bible are you planning to use primarily? Is the room set up with tables so notes can be taken?

Learning styles vary but the more they do, the more they'll learn.

Upvote 0

KingsK.H.R.R.S

Holy, Righteous, Ratchet Squad
Mar 12, 2021
Oregon
✟18,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would prepare by making certain that I have all my notes on the passages you are going to study, it is helpful if you anticipate the questions, if no one asks those questions you can ask them as discussion questions. If you have done a good prep you should be able to enrich the group with knowledge that they would not have obtained outside the study. If questions come up that you did not anticipate and cannot answer tell them you will research and answer those questions at your next meeting. I suggest that you start with a group prayer asking the Holy Spirit to help everyone to a new and more complete understanding of God's word.

So should I just pick something in the Bible and build around that? I guess I could start with overall story of Scripture and as people ask questions build future studies off of what they are asking about?

Upvote 0

KingsK.H.R.R.S

Mar 12, 2021
Oregon
✟18,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For discussion, would probably want to limit how long one can respond because there will be one who needs attention.

Are you going to pick the topic or book to begin? Which version(s) of the Bible are you planning to use primarily? Is the room set up with tables so notes can be taken?

Learning styles vary but the more they do, the more they'll learn.

Yeah, I am realizing that some people love talking and some people will never talk.

I'm not sure where to start, honestly. I know what I want to study from the Bible, but I guess I can just start with the overall Biblical story and just work through it having other people read relevant passages? Answer basic questions as they come up and the bigger questions save for future Bible studies?

I like the ESV but people are welcome to bring any translation, in fact I encourage it because it brings up more opportunities to discuss translation issues and textual criticism stuff. I'll have a concordance pulled up for times like that.

Upvote 0

KingsK.H.R.R.S

Mar 12, 2021
Oregon
✟18,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you know what age group will you be studying with?

Also, are they new believers?

Some older like semi-retirement age, some my age (mid-30s). No new believers but there is a range of.......commitment to the faith.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What I've found is that some folk are not very academically-minded, and can be intimidated and overwhelmed by heavy scholarly resources (commentaries etc). That doesn't mean you shouldn't use these, but bear in mind that if you focus on them, some people will self-select out of the group.

Given that this is a new group at different levels, what if you started with an introductory overview of Scripture? That lets you assess where everyone's at, without getting too bogged down in any one book. If it would be helpful, I'd be happy to share resources I've developed and used in different places, which have fostered good discussion.

Upvote 0

KingsK.H.R.R.S

Mar 12, 2021
Oregon
✟18,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I've found is that some folk are not very academically-minded, and can be intimidated and overwhelmed by heavy scholarly resources (commentaries etc). That doesn't mean you shouldn't use these, but bear in mind that if you focus on them, some people will self-select out of the group.

Given that this is a new group at different levels, what if you started with an introductory overview of Scripture? That lets you assess where everyone's at, without getting too bogged down in any one book. If it would be helpful, I'd be happy to share resources I've developed and used in different places, which have fostered good discussion.

That would be helpful! I don’t know what you mean when you say “an introductory overview of scripture”. So like open the Bible and just read the biblical narrative? Do I make an outline and only pull out relevant verses and chapters? I know that once we get a session or two in, based on conversations I’ll be able to come up with good studies. I just don’t know how we start a new group.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, what I did was a ten-session series. Each week we looked at one section of Scripture, at its background and historical context and major issues that had shaped it, and so on, and then looked at some specific texts which demonstrated typical concerns.

So the sessions were: Torah, Histories (Joshua-Esther), Wisdom (Job-Song of Songs), Prophets, Apocrypha, Gospels & Acts, Epistles, Revelation (and a side acknowledgement of other apocalyptic texts in Scripture). Then I had one session on the canon and how it was defined, and why; and one session on Scripture in public worship and private devotion today. (I left aside the Psalms, but you could always do a session on them too, as the "hymn book" of the ancient temple).

I'd be very happy, if you PM me your email address, to email you the notes and handouts I used, and you can feel free to use, adapt or ignore them as you wish! But I found, especially with a diverse group, doing something like that gave them a chance to at least build a very basic shared framework for discussion. Even just understanding that these texts were written over approximately a thousand years, in different languages and cultural and social settings, and addressing very different concerns, was quite an eye-opening thing for people who are used to taking it for granted that "The Bible" comes as a cohesive leather-bound whole in slightly formal English!

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So should I just pick something in the Bible and build around that? I guess I could start with overall story of Scripture and as people ask questions build future studies off of what they are asking about?
I think I would go to a specific block of Scripture and do an exegetical presentation on it as it is read to the group. It is your study do what the Holy Spirit asks you to do. I would do what I believe is consistent with the strengths I have been given by God.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Years ago, I not sure where a nun ran a short Bible study. She read a passage of the Scriptures then told us to close our eyes and pray and allow the Spirit to speak to you on what this passage might mean to you. you warned us not to force anything just let the Spirit led.

After several minutes she asked if everyone was done. They were then then we shared. It was amazing the testimonies and stories that flowed through that group. We all hear the same scriptural story but each saw it differently, and what each saw was enlightening.

I don't know if this technique would work for the entire program but it might be a nice introduction. As for teaching Bible skills, these are important to understand for any long term Bible study, but for most staying in the narratives stories where you can add history to create depth should probably be enough for the average Joe.

Upvote 0