How do you rid yourself of temptation?

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am unsure if you are twisting the meaning of everything that has been written.
I have heard this from others and they sit waiting for a "sovereign act of God" as they say and nothing is changed in their lives. They are just doing their own thing. That is not glorifying God. The idea is to present the body as a living sacrifice, that is everything. God indwells powerfully.

Faith without works is dead. Faith comes by hearing, hearing by the word of God. Belief is changed from own self, to belief in God and when words are spoken salvation occurs as this purifies the heart increasingly. Instead of speaking from a defiled heart and mind it is becoming more pure.
I am able to say there is a way into the Holy Place, the heavenly sanctuary of God. I have been into the sanctuary and have God's blessing.
You do understand the new covenant is built on two-not one core foundational facts don't you? One without the other equals no new covenant

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one can be perfect but in a process of purifying own self and breaking inwardly deeply enough the nature of Jesus, the divine nature will cover and God will indwell powerfully. The Love in the divine nature will be energized by God.

I agree.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You do understand the new covenant is built on two-not one core foundational facts don't you? One without the other equals no new covenant

This sounds more of the works of own flesh, an intellectual debate about something you may never see.
This is the deception in the Christian Church. This is why it attracts gullible people who tithe into a false religion. It all becomes very wordy with no action.

What is your answer to ridding yourself of temptation or Satan and his demons influence within the mind.
By reading scriptures and listening to impure preachers and singers?
A person has to take the first action, that is do something.

James7Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom.

Hebrews 10:20
“By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;”

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This sounds more of the works of own flesh, an intellectual debate about something you may never see.
This is the deception in the Christian Church. This is why it attracts gullible people who tithe into a false religion. It all becomes very wordy with no action.

What is your answer to ridding yourself of temptation or Satan and his demons influence within the mind.
By reading scriptures and listening to impure preachers and singers?
A person has to take the first action, that is do something.

James7Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom.

Hebrews 10:20
“By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;”
Do you understand the new covenant has at its core two foundational facts? One without the other equals no new covenant

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is relatively simple but difficult to overcome in the sense that there are encumbrances on the personality. The scriptures state what type of person will cross over. If there was no difficulty all manner of people would take the Kingdom of God by force.
When there is ease of a comfortable life, the inner condition must be induced other wise it sees no reason to change.
There is always a reason not to do something because the cost must be counted.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is relatively simple but difficult to overcome in the sense that there are encumbrances on the personality. The scriptures state what type of person will cross over. If there was no difficulty all manner of people would take the Kingdom of God by force.
When there is ease of a comfortable life, the inner condition must be induced other wise it sees no reason to change.
There is always a reason not to do something because the cost must be counted.

No reason to change?
Something must be induced?
This is the covenant I will make with them after that time says the Lord
I will write my laws in their minds
And place them on their hearts
Then he adds
Their sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more
Heb 10:16&17

Come on

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One can never get rid of temptation while they live in their physical, fleshly bodies. Only when we die (or are raptured), can we ever be rid of sin entirely and for eternity.

You can try to remove yourself from tempting situations, which is a good thing. Did Joseph not flee Potiphar's wife when she came onto him? He didn't stay there and chat with her, knowing he'd have to fight his sinful flesh's desires to lay with her, no, he RAN from her. When she grabbed his coat, he left the coat there and ran. He still got thrown in prison, but that is preferable to being executed outright (which is what would have happened had he laid with her).

You could make the decision to NOT go to the bar, because if you're in the bar, you're probably going to end up looking at women and drinking (which opens a whole pandora's box).

However, you cannot avoid ALL temptation.

Temptation is a mixture of our fleshly body (something you cannot live without) and demons whispering things into our ears. I know a lot of Christians don't believe that demons are everywhere and that they constantly whisper things into our ears that only our subconscious/spirit hears, but they are there, and they do very much do that.

Ever been sitting at your computer, doing absolutely nothing sinful and then out of the blue, filthy sexual images come to mind? That's probably a demon and it is sitting on your shoulder, whispering in your ear, trying to get you to sin.

When you get a sinful thought, Paul tells us to FLEE temptation. Maybe not literally get up and run, but immediately repent for such thoughts. "Lord, I repent for that thought that just went through my mind... please, help me cleanse my mind of such evil!"

Christ was tempted in the wilderness three times over 40 days. There is nothing wrong with temptation, if you resist it, and turn away from it and refuse to give in to it. Christ lived a sinless life and was perfect and without spot, so much so that He was able to bear all of humanity's sin, past, present, and future on the Cross and purchased Redemption for everybody.

If Christ was sinless, then that means that Temptation can't possibly be sin, or anything "wrong" with you. What you do in response to such temptation, well, THAT is the question.

Do you give into it? If so, you've sinned. Repent, and ask for forgiveness.
If you don't give into it, rejoice but be on your guard. Do not allow pride to grow within you. Don't think of yourself as invincible because you've resisted temptation enough times, otherwise you WILL fall the moment He pulls His hand back and allows you to fall to keep you humble.

Remember -- we can only resist Temptation because He gives us the Grace that we need to do so. Without Him and His Grace, we are wholly and utterly evil inside. Our "Good Deeds" are as filthy rags to Him if we don't have His Grace. We are nothing without Him. Without Him, we can do nothing good whatsoever.

Reactions: AllanV
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Verily verily I say unto you.
Ye MUST be born again john3:3

Someone who has been born again of the spirit DOES NOT need extra inducement to change for they have been born again.
Someone who has not been born again isn't a christian. Christ was specific on that point

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No reason to change?
Something must be induced?
This is the covenant I will make with them after that time says the Lord
I will write my laws in their minds
And place them on their hearts
Then he adds
Their sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more
Heb 10:16&17

Come on
You are denying entry into the Holy Place. The kingdom of God is complete when sin is not realized at all. Salvation is healing, speaking from the belief in God (not own self righteousness) and is counted as righteousness.
Have boldness to enter.
You are missing the blessing.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first part of the covenant brings rebirth to you. The holy spirit has entered your life and written the law God wants you to keep on your mind and placed it on your heart, meaning in your mind you instinctively know how God wants you to live at its core, and in your heart you want to obey. Because, and only because that has happened, your sins and lawless deeds will be remembered no more, you are off the hook.
Jesus died for the sibs of those who are born again of the spirit for he will be no ones saviour from sin unless they in their heart desire to obey his father/ live as he wants them to live

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are denying entry into the Holy Place. The kingdom of God is complete when sin is not realized at all. Salvation is healing, speaking from the belief in God (not own self righteousness) and is counted as righteousness.
Have boldness to enter.
You are missing the blessing.
My friend, sadly you do not properly understand the covenant. I don't blame you, very few ministers fully preach it

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One can never get rid of temptation while they live in their physical, fleshly bodies. Only when we die (or are raptured), can we ever be rid of sin entirely and for eternity.

You can try to remove yourself from tempting situations, which is a good thing. Did Joseph not flee Potiphar's wife when she came onto him? He didn't stay there and chat with her, knowing he'd have to fight his sinful flesh's desires to lay with her, no, he RAN from her. When she grabbed his coat, he left the coat there and ran. He still got thrown in prison, but that is preferable to being executed outright (which is what would have happened had he laid with her).

You could make the decision to NOT go to the bar, because if you're in the bar, you're probably going to end up looking at women and drinking (which opens a whole pandora's box).

However, you cannot avoid ALL temptation.

Temptation is a mixture of our fleshly body (something you cannot live without) and demons whispering things into our ears. I know a lot of Christians don't believe that demons are everywhere and that they constantly whisper things into our ears that only our subconscious/spirit hears, but they are there, and they do very much do that.

Ever been sitting at your computer, doing absolutely nothing sinful and then out of the blue, filthy sexual images come to mind? That's probably a demon and it is sitting on your shoulder, whispering in your ear, trying to get you to sin.

When you get a sinful thought, Paul tells us to FLEE temptation. Maybe not literally get up and run, but immediately repent for such thoughts. "Lord, I repent for that thought that just went through my mind... please, help me cleanse my mind of such evil!"

Christ was tempted in the wilderness three times over 40 days. There is nothing wrong with temptation, if you resist it, and turn away from it and refuse to give in to it. Christ lived a sinless life and was perfect and without spot, so much so that He was able to bear all of humanity's sin, past, present, and future on the Cross and purchased Redemption for everybody.

If Christ was sinless, then that means that Temptation can't possibly be sin, or anything "wrong" with you. What you do in response to such temptation, well, THAT is the question.

Do you give into it? If so, you've sinned. Repent, and ask for forgiveness.
If you don't give into it, rejoice but be on your guard. Do not allow pride to grow within you. Don't think of yourself as invincible because you've resisted temptation enough times, otherwise you WILL fall the moment He pulls His hand back and allows you to fall to keep you humble.

Remember -- we can only resist Temptation because He gives us the Grace that we need to do so. Without Him and His Grace, we are wholly and utterly evil inside. Our "Good Deeds" are as filthy rags to Him if we don't have His Grace. We are nothing without Him. Without Him, we can do nothing good whatsoever.

A change comes over a smoker when they need a top up of nicotine and there is a definite demon sitting on the shoulder. Deny the cigarette and there could be an argument.
Its a bit like denying Christ.
There is a way of Holiness as declared by Isiah and the truth of the blessing is not understood.
The early Church was called the "Way"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To the op who started this thread
You know if you have been born again because you are conscious of your sin before God for the first time in your life.
For through the law we become conscious of sin rom 3:20
And the law is written on your mind and placed on your heart. Once you are aware of Gods laws you see your shortfall of obedience to them, and your shortfall of obedience is your sin.
You are definitely born again, your distress at your sin proves that. But you hav wee to accept God does not now judge you because of your sin, but your faith in his son. That is your one and only righteousness before God. Don't look at the sin, look to Jesus and trust he is your righteousness, then the sin will start to decrease

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A change comes over a smoker when they need a top up of nicotine and there is a definite demon sitting on the shoulder. Deny the cigarette and there could be an argument.
Its a bit like denying Christ.
There is a way of Holiness as declared by Isiah and the truth of the blessing is not understood.
The early Church was called the "Way"
There was a group of people when Jesus walked this earth who attended all the church( or sybagogue) meetings. They knew the literal words of the then scriptures off by heart. They were well educated and dressed smartly. They tithed down to their last mint dill and cumin. They did good deeds that everyone could see. They would not have gotten drunk, used foul language, had extra marital affairs, nor smoked I imagine if smoking had then been invented. They even laid flowers on the graves of the prophets murdered by their forefathers and said:
We would never have acted as they did. And they preached obedience to the law at an incredibly high standard
But it was not enough. Jesus said these people did not even know his father, and he reserved his harshest words for them. And they were the people ultimately responsible for Jesus being crucified

Reactions: Xalith
Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My friend, sadly you do not properly understand the covenant. I don't blame you, very few ministers fully preach it

To the op who started this thread
You know if you have been born again because you are conscious of your sin before God for the first time in your life.
For through the law we become conscious of sin rom 3:20
And the law is written on your mind and placed on your heart. Once you are aware of Gods laws you see your shortfall of obedience to them, and your shortfall of obedience is your sin.
You are definitely born again, your distress at your sin proves that. But you hav wee to accept God does not now judge you because of your sin, but your faith in his son. That is your one and only righteousness before God. Don't look at the sin, look to Jesus and trust he is your righteousness, then the sin will start to decrease

My first conversion at 26 was being drawn by God and shown the mind of an immortal as a comparison to mine and how mine did not measure up. When this occurred I partially collapsed and there was trouble breathing.
I wasn't searching for an experience and it was at the best time of my life.
Everyone is removed from God's sight because of their inability to measure up. It starts in the mind, is hatched in the mind and this produces sin. Human mental bonding, hypnotic suggestion, is the main barrier to knowing God. Everyone is strongly connected in their own minds and is unable to see beyond this realm.
God is immediate and knowing Him is a little deeper and just beyond the mind that is usually thought from. God makes everything seen appear at every instant. The Eternal God covers Himself with light as with a garment. The Apostle Paul writes in acts 17 that we live and move and have our being in God.

At 40 during a fast the Spirit lead into a progressive mind change that eventually, after 3 weeks gave entry into a Holy Place. The Love in the Divine Nature pure and perfect was energized by God. This cannot be imagined or comprehended in the natural rebellious mind, it is impossible.
I was bold enough to move forward for the three weeks even when it was not known how it would end. There is a blessing to all believers in God.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My first conversion at 26 was being drawn by God and shown the mind of an immortal as a comparison to mine and how mine did not measure up. When this occurred I partially collapsed and there was trouble breathing.
Everyone is removed from God's sight because of their inability to measure up. It starts in the mind, is hatched in the mind and this produces sin. Human mental bonding, hypnotic suggestion, is the main barrier to knowing God. Everyone is strongly connected in their own minds and is unable to see beyond this realm.
God is immediate and knowing Him is a little deeper and just beyond the mind that is usually thought from. God makes everything seen appear at every instant. The Eternal God covers Himself with light as with a garment. The Apostle Paul writes in acts 17 that we live and move and have our being in God.

At 40 during a fast the Spirit lead into a progressive mind change that eventually, after 3 weeks gave entry into a Holy Place. The Love in the Divine Nature pure and perfect was energized by God. This cannot be imagined or comprehended in the natural rebellious mind, it is impossible.
I was bold enough to move forward for the three weeks even when it was not known how it would end. There is a blessing to all believers in God.
You haven't responded to what I wrote.
Do you agree the new covenant hinges on two core facts, and do you agree with what I have written concerning those facts?

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

BTW
No one ever has, or can measure up to Gods standards. The standard is perfection

Do not bring your servant into judgement, for no one living is (truly) righteous before you Psalms 143:2

Upvote 0