• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do you get over the thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Everlasting33

Hi!

I also struggle with low self-esteem and I believe a lot of people do! What I try to do is positive affirmations (saying things like I love and accept myself and say it many times a day). I also must challenge the negative thoughts.
For example:
"I am such a loser!"
Challenge statement: what evidence do you have of this?
"well I have no friends"
challenge statement: You have friends but how that make you a loser?
"that means noone likes me"
challenge statement: Not every single person can NOT like you. You are liked by many and you do not need everyone's acceptance to feel worthwhile.

Do not give up on challenging your negative thoughts. It may be a while before you can see positive results.

*I see that you are young and all teens struggle with self esteem. I would suggest challenging your negative thoughts, do some volunteer work, and try out those positive affirmations.

And remember, the path to healthy self-esteem is a process. Some days I do not feel good about myself and I think of how much I have failed at life. However, it is important to not measure your accomplishments by instant results but by the process of getting to it.

Upvote 0

inHisgripkim

You Are The Salt And Light Of The World
Apr 5, 2006
Arizona
✟10,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have really low self esteem. and i really want to try to stop thinking negative things about myself and start thinking positive. do you guys have any suggestions on what i should do?

Dear Kath:

One thing you should always remind yourself is that you are God's creation. God does not make mistakes, so that means you are perfect in His eyes. You are His masterpiece. Tell yourself that over and over. Take that where ever you go and in what ever you do.

Do not idolize things of this world. Put your sights on God's Kingdom (Heaven above). Live for God, live through God, and Live in God. That is the way to keep from being pulled down by the negative tapes of this world. This world, man, values superficial and fleshly things. Value God and His word and not what man tells you to value.

You are a child of God. You are His masterpiece. He made you to do His will. He made you exactly the way He wanted you, so that you can fulfill His purpose.

Be a proud child of God. You are one of His flock. You are truly blessed.

Rejoice in the day that the Lord has made for you. Take God with you where ever you go.

Godly love,
Kim

Upvote 0
U

UnitynLove

Start combating those negative thoughts or feeling by the word of God. Jesus defeated satan by the rhema to God you must do the same thing too. When you hear negative thoughts going through your mind say something that the word of God says such as when you hear "I am worthless" say outloud it is written "I am more than a conquer through Christ Jesus who strengthens me." If you hear "I can do nothing" say, "It is written, I can do all things through christ Jesus who strengthens me." It is very important to get the word of God in you so that when the enemy comes you can defeat him with what you know with the word of God.

Upvote 0

rita727

Jul 29, 2006
A Pineapple under the Sea
✟23,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I agree the comments above, esp. Unity.

Expanding on what she said, you should find bible scriptures and promises that you feel will help you with that; especially the ones that when you read, you just feel like someone's tapping you on the shoulder...

Here are some examples of scriptures and promises here.

HTH,
Rita

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have really low self esteem. and i really want to try to stop thinking negative things about myself and start thinking positive. do you guys have any suggestions on what i should do?

As someone who also has had that problem I just want to ask you to listen to how you talk to yourself. (We all talk to ourselves by the way). Do you put yourself down? What messages do you send yourself? Do you walk into a problem thinking it is will impossible to overcome? You have to consciously change that tape that plays over and over in the mind that brings down your self-esteem.
One thing I did was concentrate on what the Bible says about me. Particularly that God loves me and cares about my needs. I think the cross is the best example of that. I came to the conclusion that if God loves me and accepts me then whose opinion is more important than that?
J:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jo1

Veteran
Nov 10, 2006
✟15,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hiya
try to focus on all your strengths, what you are good at. dont focus on your weaknesses.you are unique, and God loves you very much. Take care lol xxx

Upvote 0

inHisgripkim

You Are The Salt And Light Of The World
Apr 5, 2006
Arizona
✟10,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Negative thoughts give Satan the opportunity to come in and create havac. Rebuke Satan and the negative thoughts when they come.

Validate yourself all the time. Look in the mirror and list all the things you like about yourself out loud. Last words, "thankyou Lord for giving me the gift of life so that I may do Your will and grow closer to You."

Thank you Lord for the sun that is peering through my window right now.
Amen​

Upvote 0

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is one theory I learned in psychology. I think it's by Aaron Beck, and it has to do with our thinking patterns...how some of them are harmful (yet we don't realize how damaging they are).

Things like
Shoulds - "I should be this" "This should have happened"
Mind Reading - Trying to guess what the other person may be thinking about you.
Personalization - thinking that someone must be at fault if something bad happens.

Things like that...the study is very interesting. I guess if we "list out" the things we are doing bad, it's easier to spot them and then fix them. There are others too...like overgeneralization.

Also about focusing. It's definitely good to focus on your good points. I did that for a time...it's what my therapist told me. lol
But...I think it's also good to work on things you feel negatively about. FROM MY EXPERIENCE (could be diff for others), covering up the bad/ignoring them will lead to them popping up again sometime later. Maybe it's just me, but I've come to find that my actual self-esteem lies where my "biggest fears about myself" are.
So for me, I did have a time when I felt really good about my strengths; but those weak points made me fall very fast. Not only did it turn me into a person who hid half herself...but I ended up as hurt as I was before.
But your strengths is a good start, because it's like a boost to something better. As for those areas that are hard to love...
True...It can be difficult. I fall a lot...but have to pick yourself back up and be okay that you fell (not like it's easy). Also, be around ppl who are encouraging. That makes a huge difference.

ooo...A new thing I found is to carry yourself like you have great meaning.
Even a physical change (not talking about superficial change)...taking care of yourself...giving yourself credit...walking around like you believe in yourself...
a lot of that can help sometimes.
Just a thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I exercise regularly, write down daily goals each morning while I am having my coffee, write down what I accomplished during the day each night in a journal, and I challenge negative thoughts (as others have already mentioned). I am not too hard on myself when I have setbacks. I try not to associate with negative people; if I have to associate with them, I keep myself mentally distanced from them.

Oh, and having a dog helps. Everything I do amuses him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.