how do YEC date things?

Chuck_Darwin

Sep 21, 2002
Holland, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,023.00
Faith
Atheist
I understand how scientist date objects(such as fossils, ancient artifcact, rocks, planets and stuff), but how do young earth creationist assign dates to things? Or don't they bother?

For example, If you ask a scientist how old is this fossil of a t-rex? they would give you a date range and the reason for it being that. I know a YEC would disagree with the date given but what would the date they gave it be? and how would they justify that date?

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Chuck_Darwin
I understand how scientist date objects(such as fossils, ancient artifcact, rocks, planets and stuff), but how do young earth creationist assign dates to things? Or don't they bother?

For example, If you ask a scientist how old is this fossil of a t-rex? they would give you a date range and the reason for it being that. I know a YEC would disagree with the date given but what would the date they gave it be? and how would they justify that date?

The would say that most fossils were made during the flood which gives a pretty specific time.

For recent history, carbon dating can be tentatively used, but calibration of the decay rate needs to be obtained from other historical objects for which we have reliable dates by other means (i.e., parchments with dates in writing).

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Rize
For recent history, carbon dating can be tentatively used, but calibration of the decay rate needs to be obtained from other historical objects for which we have reliable dates by other means (i.e., parchments with dates in writing).

This "calibration" has already been done with ice cores and tree rings. Is that good enough for you?

(FWIW - It's not the decay rate that needs to be calibrated. That is a constant that can be measured directly in the lab. What needs calibration is the atmospheric concentration of C14, since that has varied slightly over time.)

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by LiveFreeOrDie
This "calibration" has already been done with ice cores and tree rings. Is that good enough for you?

(FWIW - It's not the decay rate that needs to be calibrated. That is a constant that can be measured directly in the lab. What needs calibration is the atmospheric concentration of C14, since that has varied slightly over time.)

You're right, about the atmospheric amount of C14.  My mistake.  And last I heard, trees can grow more than one ring in a year.  I'm not sure about the reliability of ice cores.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I understand how scientist date objects (such as fossils, ancient artifacts), but how do young earth creationist date

Scientist may like to date old fossils, but YEC usually like to date the young chicks. There are different methoids for dating. There is the casual date, where maybe you just spend the day at the park and pack a picnic lunch. This works out good for divorced people who may have kids in tow. Then there is a sports date, where you could go skiing, or some other sports type activity. A more formal date maybe to a special event where tickets are hard to get. Then there is the traditional date of dressing up and going out to dinner.

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rize,
What method would they use to show that most fossils come from the flood? How could one tell the difference from a flood fossil and a non-flood fossil? I'm looking for a methodology here.

I'm not an expert in this matter, but the idea is that the vast majority are flood fossils, so in a pinch assume that.  I don't know if they have mapped out flood deposits and non-flood deposits at all.  I would expect the flood deposits to be larger and more extensive than non-flood deposits myself.  And non-flood deposits would primarily be above and below flood deposits naturally.

You can find more info at AiG.  Don't take my memory for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by LiveFreeOrDie
Why is that? People have been methodically studying fossils for what, 250 years? Isn't that enough time to figure this stuff out?

I said I don't know, not that they didn't.  I'm aware of some studies about deposits.  For example, there is one thing I read about a single deposit that stretches for an extraordinary amount of space (so much that creationist like to suggest that it's far to big for anything other than a global flood).  I believe that one is in america.

Why don't you check the AiG flood Q&A

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/flood.asp

Upvote 0