How do most Christian deal with objects millions or billions of light years away from Earth?

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Empty space just as the universe is mostly empty space. Every galaxy that looks packed with stars, star clusters and nebulae is mostly empty space. As I posted today, the distance of just 1 light year is 63,000 times the vast distance between the sun and the Earth. The nearest star is 4.3 light years away. The nearest galaxy is 2.5 million. The universe is VERY empty. I'd love to know why.
It is a contrast..... like to have light shine even brighter the darkness must be darker. If you are rich then you value things you can easily buy less and if you are immortal you don't value life the same. Each star in the sky is there because the sky universe is mostly dark (empty).

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why would you expect them to agree? They speak two different languages with two different purposes.

Yes, example.
Geology shows ample evidence for a world wide flood. Any geological theory that does not accept this is false.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, example.
Geology shows ample evidence for a world wide flood. Any geological theory that does not accept this is false.
By "world wide" do you mean all land underwater?

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Doesn't Genesis rather clearly state that the flood covered all the mountains? That's pretty comprehensive. They have found fossils of fish high up on mountains. I think only a worldwide flood could account for that. It is the most logical explanation. Sure continental drift could have pushed things up there but it seems rather unlikely we would ever find them. Most fish get eaten by parasites when they die after all. Waste not want not seems to be nature's flawless recycling motto.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
LOL! God WAS thinking ahead. Who could have known???
Consider also that we are on a prison planet, cast out of the Garden and kept away from the rest of creation because we are a fallen species in need of a rebuild. You've heard of scales falling away from eyes in scripture. Perhaps the universe is teeming with life but because of scales imposed by God we cannot see it. Spacing helps avoid contamination.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sure continental drift could have pushed things up there
In the same way the great plains of North America used to be under the ocean until the centre of the continent rose.(hoping we stay aloft for a few more years) Life is full of ups and downs and rapid runoff makes for great canyons..

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the same way the great plains of North America used to be under the ocean until the centre of the continent rose.(hoping we stay aloft for a few more years) Life is full of ups and downs and rapid runoff makes for great canyons..
Yes, that makes a lot more sense than a world wide flood covering all land.

And then there is a Snowball Earth Hypothesis.
upload_2022-3-20_14-46-45.jpeg

Snowball Earth hypothesis

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Consider also that we are on a prison planet, cast out of the Garden and kept away from the rest of creation because we are a fallen species in need of a rebuild. You've heard of scales falling away from eyes in scripture. Perhaps the universe is teeming with life but because of scales imposed by God we cannot see it. Spacing helps avoid contamination.:)
Great point. When we get together there's usually strife.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
he bible discribes a flood that covers All the land and killed all air breathing life, it was a flood that totaly covered the planet earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about Genesis 1:16?
"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also."

We need someone that knows Hebrew I suppose because when I read this KJV it sounds like "the stars" may not have been made at that moment. Almost like in English when we might say "oh by the way those were done as well" which is not indicative of when they were done. Its either that or we're dealing with an old Earth and the Creation story is a rejuvenation story where the Earth was renewed about 6000 years ago. Or is there another possibility? Its pretty hard to dispute the fact that the universe is old due to the distances and the time it takes for light to travel which we're pretty much all agree on.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ws Hebrew I suppose because when I read this KJV i

Read what it actually says, Genesis 1:
14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

On the fourth day of creation the Sun, moon, planets and stars were made.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes John, it seems pretty clear to me. It sure reads as if everything was created at the same time. So what do you think of scientists worldwide detecting distant galaxies billions of light years away from us? We know the speed of light and we know the distance of those galaxies. How do we bring these things together? I've never heard Creationists discuss this topic. Is it the elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about? It is too awkward to address? This is the only aspect of Biblical Creation that has me perplexed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is one fascinating article on the subject. A must read as 4 ideas are discussed. I'm going with the last one: God created a fully functioning universe. He's God. He made everything so He can control everything. Its very possible this is the system He chose.
Starlight and the Age of the Universe

Upvote 0