How do I overcome anxiety about "truly" being saved?

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For some background, I have OCD, an anxiety disorder that sometimes causes me to have obsessive thoughts about something that most people may not give much thought to. This can also cause compulsions or practices, hence the "compulsions" aspect. A common issue for Christians with OCD is "scrupulosity", where they're concerned about "accidentally blaspheming the Holy Spirit" based on a misunderstanding of Jesus' statements.

I've generally not had a lot of trouble with this type of OCD--instead I'm usually worried about dying from some disease, or having my reputation ruined by some mistake made in my past. Often it gets to the point where I can't sleep because I'm thinking about something negative for a long time, only to find after weeks of inactivity due to fear that whatever it was I was afraid of wasn't worth worrying about at all, or at least not to the degree that I was.

But recently I made the mistake of watching an old Paul Washer sermon. I say "mistake" because I thought perhaps it would be helpful, but instead it just made me anxious about my own salvation. I have some issues with certain reformed theologians and its emphasis on Hell, God's wrath, etc. I agree with most of what they say and I commend their thorough research and study of the Bible, but in this case I felt very convicted by Washer's sermon, which he spent most of the time criticizing the supposed "evangelists" who would have people say a prayer and then have them declared Christians, thus causing these supposed Christians to feel confident that they are "saved" and need to do nothing further.

Obviously, I know that a lot more goes into the Christian faith than that. But when I look at my own life I'm not confident about things like that. I think the point people like Washer want to make is that this sort of conviction should inspire a Christian to want to change. But that's not how my brain works. Instead, my OCD leaves me in an anxious state and makes me feel like I can't do much to change my "fate". Reading the Bible and trying to pray more is the kind of thing that OCD can thrive on as a "compulsion"--if I don't read a certain Bible passage or a say a certain prayer, then how do I know for sure that God doesn't consider me "unsaved" and will throw me into Hell upon my death? Not to mention the fact that it wasn't long ago that a lot of obssesssive fears that I was going to die very soon. Earlier that very same day I watched the Paul Washer sermon I had had an anxiety attack where I thought I was going to die. It passed after a few minutes, but it was very scary in the moment.

As for my actual Christian life, there's not much to say. I can't go to church due to covid. I look at inappropriate content too much and play video games way too often. I use these things to cope with the anxiety I get about other things to try and chase the worry away. But it doesn't work. I just get brief rushes of dopamine from inappropriate content and sometimes feelings of anger and frustration with video games. I know that God wants me to turn to Him, and sometimes I do. I'm trying to do better. But with very little to do, I tend to mentally stagnate. It doesn't inspire me to get closer to God, it inspires me to waste time.

Even when I talk about my pastor (right now I go to a Nazarene church, so not reformed) he has sometimes said, in as loving a way as possible, "I know you say you're trying, but I don't think you are. You don't want to do the hard things it takes to being a Christian." Well, now I'm terrified he's right and, according to his Arminian framework, I have lost my salvation, or according to the reformed framework, I was never saved to begin with despite my feeling like I was years in the past, and months ago, and even just a few days ago.

Any advice from any denomination is welcome. Please don't think I'm trying to criticize or attack reformed theology here. Like I said, there are things I like about it. I just don't know if I agree with its positions on everything, and the way that some reformed theologians and pastors (certainly not all) seem to enjoy scaring people into a relationship with God. I've listened to the sermons of some, like Tim Keller and Matt Chandler, who don't do that, as far as I know, and I've known tons of reformed people who don't think that way and value God's grace. I just kind of ran into one guy's old sermon and it made me anxious. Maybe some of that is a good thing, but I'm the kind of person who gets stressful thoughts in his head that don't go away even if other people seem to think that I do have a relationship with God.

Of course, considering that I don't go anywhere or do anything nowadays, how on Earth would anybody be able to tell that I'm a Christian? I don't tithe because I don't make money, I haven't gotten involved in my church community like I wanted to because I still feel like I'm too "different" from the rest of them, and I look at inappropriate content way too much.

The reason I'm a Christian is because God is my Father, my Savior and my Friend. He was there when no one else was there to love me or help me and loved me despite the miserable state I was in, and He still loves me despite the fact that in the 5 years I've been a Christian, I've only made some progress in trusting Him and loving Him back. I don't like the way some reformed theologians view him as this father that "has to" dole out punishments on His unruly children, even if they deserve it. I want to see God as loving, and that was fairly easy to do until this Paul Washer sermon. I trust that he's a man of God, but I don't like having to worry so much about whether or not I am, too, and I don't know how I can know for sure what God's standard is.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Being a believer is not about thing you do (a check list etc..)
It is about having and trusting in the correct object of your faith, belief or trust for the free gift of Gods Eternal Life.

And there is but one and only object that can give eternal life.

So if a person trust in the promised Messiah from the prophecies of the Tanakh. That is if a person believes that Jesus is the promised Messiah form the Tanakh and trust in The Messiah for the free gift of Gods Eternal Life. They have received eternal life never to lose this free gift of God.

So being truly saved is based having the correct object to place your faith in and not in actions or changed life styles a person may do.

Read the Gospel of John it speaks to this truth.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For some background, I have OCD, an anxiety disorder that sometimes causes me to have obsessive thoughts about something that most people may not give much thought to. This can also cause compulsions or practices, hence the "compulsions" aspect. A common issue for Christians with OCD is "scrupulosity", where they're concerned about "accidentally blaspheming the Holy Spirit" based on a misunderstanding of Jesus' statements.

I've generally not had a lot of trouble with this type of OCD--instead I'm usually worried about dying from some disease, or having my reputation ruined by some mistake made in my past. Often it gets to the point where I can't sleep because I'm thinking about something negative for a long time, only to find after weeks of inactivity due to fear that whatever it was I was afraid of wasn't worth worrying about at all, or at least not to the degree that I was.

But recently I made the mistake of watching an old Paul Washer sermon. I say "mistake" because I thought perhaps it would be helpful, but instead it just made me anxious about my own salvation. I have some issues with certain reformed theologians and its emphasis on Hell, God's wrath, etc. I agree with most of what they say and I commend their thorough research and study of the Bible, but in this case I felt very convicted by Washer's sermon, which he spent most of the time criticizing the supposed "evangelists" who would have people say a prayer and then have them declared Christians, thus causing these supposed Christians to feel confident that they are "saved" and need to do nothing further.

Obviously, I know that a lot more goes into the Christian faith than that. But when I look at my own life I'm not confident about things like that. I think the point people like Washer want to make is that this sort of conviction should inspire a Christian to want to change. But that's not how my brain works. Instead, my OCD leaves me in an anxious state and makes me feel like I can't do much to change my "fate". Reading the Bible and trying to pray more is the kind of thing that OCD can thrive on as a "compulsion"--if I don't read a certain Bible passage or a say a certain prayer, then how do I know for sure that God doesn't consider me "unsaved" and will throw me into Hell upon my death? Not to mention the fact that it wasn't long ago that a lot of obssesssive fears that I was going to die very soon. Earlier that very same day I watched the Paul Washer sermon I had had an anxiety attack where I thought I was going to die. It passed after a few minutes, but it was very scary in the moment.

As for my actual Christian life, there's not much to say. I can't go to church due to covid. I look at inappropriate content too much and play video games way too often. I use these things to cope with the anxiety I get about other things to try and chase the worry away. But it doesn't work. I just get brief rushes of dopamine from inappropriate content and sometimes feelings of anger and frustration with video games. I know that God wants me to turn to Him, and sometimes I do. I'm trying to do better. But with very little to do, I tend to mentally stagnate. It doesn't inspire me to get closer to God, it inspires me to waste time.

Even when I talk about my pastor (right now I go to a Nazarene church, so not reformed) he has sometimes said, in as loving a way as possible, "I know you say you're trying, but I don't think you are. You don't want to do the hard things it takes to being a Christian." Well, now I'm terrified he's right and, according to his Arminian framework, I have lost my salvation, or according to the reformed framework, I was never saved to begin with despite my feeling like I was years in the past, and months ago, and even just a few days ago.

Any advice from any denomination is welcome. Please don't think I'm trying to criticize or attack reformed theology here. Like I said, there are things I like about it. I just don't know if I agree with its positions on everything, and the way that some reformed theologians and pastors (certainly not all) seem to enjoy scaring people into a relationship with God. I've listened to the sermons of some, like Tim Keller and Matt Chandler, who don't do that, as far as I know, and I've known tons of reformed people who don't think that way and value God's grace. I just kind of ran into one guy's old sermon and it made me anxious. Maybe some of that is a good thing, but I'm the kind of person who gets stressful thoughts in his head that don't go away even if other people seem to think that I do have a relationship with God.

Of course, considering that I don't go anywhere or do anything nowadays, how on Earth would anybody be able to tell that I'm a Christian? I don't tithe because I don't make money, I haven't gotten involved in my church community like I wanted to because I still feel like I'm too "different" from the rest of them, and I look at inappropriate content way too much.

The reason I'm a Christian is because God is my Father, my Savior and my Friend. He was there when no one else was there to love me or help me and loved me despite the miserable state I was in, and He still loves me despite the fact that in the 5 years I've been a Christian, I've only made some progress in trusting Him and loving Him back. I don't like the way some reformed theologians view him as this father that "has to" dole out punishments on His unruly children, even if they deserve it. I want to see God as loving, and that was fairly easy to do until this Paul Washer sermon. I trust that he's a man of God, but I don't like having to worry so much about whether or not I am, too, and I don't know how I can know for sure what God's standard is.

The bible tells us:

1Jn 3:18-24 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

There are two parts to the above scripture, 1) God knows all about us, and even if our heart condemn us, he knows us. 2) In order for our heart to not condemn us we need to move towards keeping his commandments.

From what you have said, you are currently saved. But you do need to move away from sin. In particular the sin of inappropriate contentography. You bible tells us:

1Th 4:4-7 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour; Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God: That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified. For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

It may be difficult to remove the sin, because you have allowed it freely. But I will give a few keys to overcoming it.

The bible says:

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Jesus told us that to overcome sin, we need to consistently spend time in His presence. When spending time with God, our spiritual side will be strengthened, and the flesh weakened.

Prayer, consistent prayer, can strengthen you against sin.

Reactions: venksta
Upvote 0