How do I know whether I have a calling to vocational ministry?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That is exactly what I was thinking....I will go to seminary and study Pastoral Counseling. After I graduate from seminary, I may even earn a Marriage and Family Therapy counseling degree.
Counsellors receive counselling. You give and receive. When you address those demons in your head, you become much more self-aware and stronger so you can help others. Ongoing counselling for the rest of your life will enable you to do this. Can you afford it? That is a problem for me.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Counsellors receive counselling. You give and receive. When you address those demons in your head, you become much more self-aware and stronger so you can help others. Ongoing counselling for the rest of your life will enable you to do this. Can you afford it? That is a problem for me.

I know that counselors/therapists receive counseling. Thankfully, I can afford lifelong counseling.... Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do I know whether God is calling me to full-time or part-time vocational ministry? To rephrase my question - how do I know if God is calling me to study in seminary and (possibly) pursue ordination as a Christian minister?

Background information about me (long post):

I was born prematurely...3 months early. The doctors only gave me a 50% chance of survival. As soon as I was born, I was rushed to a university NICU (intensive care unit for newborns) by ambulance. My dad drove behind the ambulance to the university NICU. As he drove behind the ambulance, Dad prayed to God and promised that if He allowed me to live....I would go to seminary and become a Christian pastor.

I spent 52 days in an incubator before my parents were allowed to take me home.

When I was 12 years old, Dad chose to tell me the story of my birth. He also told me that since he had sworn an oath to God, I was to go study in seminary and become a pastor.

During my childhood and teen years, Dad was physically and verbally abusive….constantly shouting and yelling. Thankfully, the physical abuse ended during my second year of university. Unfortunately, Dad’s verbal abuse has not stopped and continues to the present day.

Because Dad was physically and verbally abusive, I began to rebel against him during my high school and university years. I promised myself that I would never become a pastor.

Although I had attended church continuously from the time I was born, I became a Christian in 1996 when I was a high school student. Also in 1996, Dad graduated from seminary and was ordained as a Christian minister.

I graduated from university in December of 2002. In May of 2003, I was supposed to go on a short-term mission trip with a team from my church. Dad sat me down and said that he would prevent me from going on the short-term mission trip unless I applied for admission to seminary.

The pastor of our church did not want to recommend me for admission to seminary because I had not been serving in any capacity in the church. As a result, the pastor wrote me an unfavorable recommendation. I was admitted to the local evangelical seminary, but as a part-time student. Unhappy with the seminary’s decision to admit me as a part-time student, Dad coerced me into applying to teach English in Korea. Under coercion, I applied to be an English teacher in Korea and went to Canada with my short-term missions team.

Literally 3 days after I got back from my short-term mission trip, I got on an airplane and flew to South Korea to begin teaching English in the public schools.

In 2006, I once again applied for admission to the same evangelical seminary that I had applied to in 2003. This time, the seminary accepted me for admission as a seminary student. In May of 2008, I quit my English teaching job and returned to the United States so that I could begin my seminary studies in August 2008.

However, living in Dad’s house again was like excruciating torture. One week before seminary classes were to begin, I returned to South Korea without telling my parents where I was going.

Fast forward 2 years. In September of 2010, I enrolled in seminary night classes that my church was offering. Fast forward another 2 years to 2012. I decided to visit my family in the United States. The morning after I arrived at home, Dad woke me up early and took me to a local park. He told me that I should return to the United States and enroll in seminary. Without hesitation, I agreed to Dad’s request.

Because the application deadlines had already passed, I returned to the United States and enrolled in a local Korean-language seminary for one semester. I enrolled in 2 or 3 classes, but I did not enjoy my studies. I had difficulty concentrating and focusing on my seminary studies.

In December of 2012, I applied yet again to the evangelical seminary that had accepted me in 2003 and 2006. I was accepted for admission and studied at that seminary for 3 semesters. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy my seminary studies. I managed to start some friendships, but for the most part…I felt a gnawing sense of loneliness when I was supposed to be studying in the library and completing my seminary assignments.

In the summer of 2014, I was suspended from the seminary for a one year period because I posted a threatening blog post on my personal blog.

I decided that I was done with seminary, and I applied to a Marriage and Family Therapy counseling degree program.

In the summer of 2015, I was accepted for admission to the MFT degree program and earnestly began my MFT studies. Three weeks into my MFT studies, I made a social media threat to the seminary that had suspended me for one year. I was immediately expelled from the seminary.

The administrative officials of my MFT program cancelled my class registration and decided that I should re-apply to the program.

I re-applied for admission to the Marriage and Family Therapy degree program, and I was accepted for admission in May of 2016. Before I began MFT classes in August of 2016, I postponed my enrollment to August of 2017.

At the end of January 2017, I began to look for ways to move out of Dad’s house. I began to look for English teaching jobs in China and South Korea.

2 weeks ago, I applied for admission to another local seminary. Less than one week later, I was accepted for admission to that seminary.
I believe The Lord is calling you unto Himself. I believe He wants to show you what a loving Father is really like. Look, you stuggled coming into this life and you are here for a reason and a purpose. This was the The Lords doing. Picture for a moment. if you will, a vision down the road of a man returning home to visit his dad. Not as a man with a paper in his hand but as a man filled with the love of Christ in his heart, filled with the fruits of the Spirit. Picture visiting a seminary. not as a student, seeking a piece of paper but as a teacher teaching the teachers the things from above. You may say how is this possible? Are not all things possible with God? You see, its not about a paper, its about a relationship with Jesus. Its about a walk together with Him. How would He face the abuse of your Father? Does not Love conqour all things? My suggestion to you is to answer your call by seeking The Lord with all your heart and by surrendering the rest of your days unto Him. Come out of your room, and find a place of solitude outside with your Bible. I prefer by a river but you may prefer a spot in the woods. Talk to God and lay all your worries before Him and let the journey begin. Truly, truly, He is worth it. What I did long ago was to ask Him for understanding of what I read and He gave me a heart to perceive. In case you were wondering weather this vision is possible for you I tell you it is for I have already walked through it. Abuse has no power over those who love.Well I hope this Blesses you and you consider these words.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Some personal background, so you know where I'm coming from. I am a retired United Methodist pastor, who was a Theology professor for 12 years. I attended Fuller Seminary for 1 year, didn't like it, and transferred to Princeton Seminary, which was more compatible with my spiritual quest. Then I got a Harvard doctorate in New Testament, Judaism, and Greco-Roman backgrounds. I have served as an academic advisor, and have counseled various people to get their seminary degree and either enter the pastoral ministry or teach theology in a seminary.

That said, here are some recommendations. Ask God to speak to you through your meditation on 1 Samuel 1 and 3, the closest story to your uncertain survival in infancy and your Dad's dedication of you to the ministry, if God lets you survive. It is the story of a delayed anxious birth, a father lacking empathy, a misunderstood mother who is so desperate that she promises to dedicate her son to the ministry, if he is born and survives, and a boy who receives his prophetic call through an initial misunderstanding. As you read and meditate on this story, do you identify with Samuel? Does God speak to you through his calling to be a prophet?

If we developed a friendship here in eastern Washington, these are the kind of questions I would want you to explore:

When you contemplate a ministry vocation, what roles do you imagine would appeal to you most and in what order?
Do you have any experience preaching? If so, how do you feel about your performance? Do you love being up front before a crowd? Or does that intimidate you? How well was your preaching received? If you disappointed yourself, did your fantasies shift to other ministry practices? If so, what other practices--counseling, missionary work, leading worship, teaching, or church administration? Or did you feel badly that you weren't as good as you hoped to be?

In my experience, the quality of the initial performances is not what is important, but rather how passionately you wish you could improve. It is crucial to discover the type of ministry that lights your fire and almost seems like playful fun rather than a useful burden to bear. In that unexpected magical moment when it dawns on you, "This s what I was meant to be and do," study becomes effortless, retention improves dramatically, and personal confidence and ambition soars. Such psychodynamics are the stuff that births an authentic calling.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I believe The Lord is calling you unto Himself. I believe He wants to show you what a loving Father is really like. Look, you stuggled coming into this life and you are here for a reason and a purpose. This was the The Lords doing. Picture for a moment. if you will, a vision down the road of a man returning home to visit his dad. Not as a man with a paper in his hand but as a man filled with the love of Christ in his heart, filled with the fruits of the Spirit. Picture visiting a seminary. not as a student, seeking a piece of paper but as a teacher teaching the teachers the things from above. You may say how is this possible? Are not all things possible with God? You see, its not about a paper, its about a relationship with Jesus. Its about a walk together with Him. How would He face the abuse of your Father? Does not Love conqour all things? My suggestion to you is to answer your call by seeking The Lord with all your heart and by surrendering the rest of your days unto Him. Come out of your room, and find a place of solitude outside with your Bible. I prefer by a river but you may prefer a spot in the woods. Talk to God and lay all your worries before Him and let the journey begin. Truly, truly, He is worth it. What I did long ago was to ask Him for understanding of what I read and He gave me a heart to perceive. In case you were wondering weather this vision is possible for you I tell you it is for I have already walked through it. Abuse has no power over those who love.Well I hope this Blesses you and you consider these words.

Thank you very much. God bless you

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do I know whether God is calling me to full-time or part-time vocational ministry? To rephrase my question - how do I know if God is calling me to study in seminary and (possibly) pursue ordination as a Christian minister?

I was born prematurely...3 months early. The doctors only gave me a 50% chance of survival. As soon as I was born, I was rushed to a university NICU (intensive care unit for newborns) by ambulance. My dad drove behind the ambulance to the university NICU. As he drove behind the ambulance, Dad prayed to God and promised that if He allowed me to live....I would go to seminary and become a Christian pastor.

When I was 12 years old, Dad chose to tell me the story of my birth. He also told me that since he had sworn an oath to God, I was to go study in seminary and become a pastor.

During my childhood and teen years, Dad was physically and verbally abusive….constantly shouting and yelling. Thankfully, the physical abuse ended during my second year of university. Unfortunately, Dad’s verbal abuse has not stopped and continues to the present day.

Because Dad was physically and verbally abusive, I began to rebel against him during my high school and university years. I promised myself that I would never become a pastor.

Although I had attended church continuously from the time I was born, I became a Christian in 1996 when I was a high school student. Also in 1996, Dad graduated from seminary and was ordained as a Christian minister.

I graduated from university in December of 2002. In May of 2003, I was supposed to go on a short-term mission trip with a team from my church. Dad sat me down and said that he would prevent me from going on the short-term mission trip unless I applied for admission to seminary.

The pastor of our church did not want to recommend me for admission to seminary because I had not been serving in any capacity in the church. As a result, the pastor wrote me an unfavorable recommendation. I was admitted to the local evangelical seminary, but as a part-time student. Unhappy with the seminary’s decision to admit me as a part-time student, Dad coerced me into applying to teach English in Korea. Under coercion, I applied to be an English teacher in Korea and went to Canada with my short-term missions team.

Literally 3 days after I got back from my short-term mission trip, I got on an airplane and flew to South Korea to begin teaching English in the public schools.

In 2006, I once again applied for admission to the same evangelical seminary that I had applied to in 2003. This time, the seminary accepted me for admission as a seminary student. In May of 2008, I quit my English teaching job and returned to the United States so that I could begin my seminary studies in August 2008.

However, living in Dad’s house again was like excruciating torture. One week before seminary classes were to begin, I returned to South Korea without telling my parents where I was going.

Fast forward 2 years. In September of 2010, I enrolled in seminary night classes that my church was offering. Fast forward another 2 years to 2012. I decided to visit my family in the United States. The morning after I arrived at home, Dad woke me up early and took me to a local park. He told me that I should return to the United States and enroll in seminary. Without hesitation, I agreed to Dad’s request.

Because the application deadlines had already passed, I returned to the United States and enrolled in a local Korean-language seminary for one semester. I enrolled in 2 or 3 classes, but I did not enjoy my studies. I had difficulty concentrating and focusing on my seminary studies.

In December of 2012, I applied yet again to the evangelical seminary that had accepted me in 2003 and 2006. I was accepted for admission and studied at that seminary for 3 semesters. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy my seminary studies. I managed to start some friendships, but for the most part…I felt a gnawing sense of loneliness when I was supposed to be studying in the library and completing my seminary assignments.

In the summer of 2014, I was suspended from the seminary for a one year period because I posted a threatening blog post on my personal blog.

I decided that I was done with seminary, and I applied to a Marriage and Family Therapy counseling degree program.

In the summer of 2015, I was accepted for admission to the MFT degree program and earnestly began my MFT studies. Three weeks into my MFT studies, I made a social media threat to the seminary that had suspended me for one year. I was immediately expelled from the seminary.

The administrative officials of my MFT program cancelled my class registration and decided that I should re-apply to the program.

I re-applied for admission to the Marriage and Family Therapy degree program, and I was accepted for admission in May of 2016. Before I began MFT classes in August of 2016, I postponed my enrollment to August of 2017.

At the end of January 2017, I began to look for ways to move out of Dad’s house. I began to look for English teaching jobs in China and South Korea.

2 weeks ago, I applied for admission to another local seminary. Less than one week later, I was accepted for admission to that seminary.
Speaking from personal experience, its no good going through life starting and stopping doing what God may ( may) want you to do.
You need to either go to seminary, stick it out, no matter what the loneliness, and no more threatening letters. Or, make a decision seminary is not for you. Basically, no more half heartedness, full commitment, no matter how hard one way or the other.
Time passes quickly. Before you know it, you will forever be looking back at your life and always tormented by the question:
Should I or shouldn't I have been a minister. That isn't a nice place to get to.
Trust me, I know.
God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That is exactly what I was thinking....I will go to seminary and study Pastoral Counseling. After I graduate from seminary, I may even earn a Marriage and Family Therapy counseling degree.

If you study pastoral counselling, please get as much education as you can. I was in counseling for years because of my atheist father's verbal abuse. I tried going to three pastors who were "trained" in Christian counseling and they were less than helpful. I finally found help with a secular psychologist who happened to be a Christian.

Upvote 0

Saint Nod

Saint Nod
Feb 15, 2017
australia
✟14,040.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You have certainly given a very detailed description of your situation.
I have worked as a missionary amongst Japanese people and Korean pastors, so much of what you said did indeed bring back many memories.

Firstly may I say that when God calls you to something whether it is into pastoral ministry or into a secular job, then He does so, as you know, very clearly by laying on your heart Specific Bible verses, or through prayer conversations with Him...and this calling is often confirmed through godly people who He brings into your life.

Having said that, being a Korean son means much more so you have a culture where it is important for you to obey your parents ...much more so than we in the West obey our parents.
So your decision to do something on your own is much more complex and to go against your father's wishes is a very difficult decision.

Nonetheless, you can stillness take your concerns to your Heavenly Father and be sure that He will show you the right pathway forward (Isaiah 30:21)... also remember 1 Cor 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. So if you do a secular job or pastoral job work in such a way as to bring God the glory.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In general...

ALL of God’s people are called to witness to the love and power of God and to the Gospel message. Spirit-led talking about Jesus is always in season; however, this does not mean we are all called to be evangelists. And while all true Christians are among the "priesthood of all believers," this does not mean we are all supposed to be professional clergy.

Yes, believe it or not, God calls some people to be business persons, professional athletes, and car salesmen. And some, like the Apostle Paul's tent making, must do manual labor to help support their “real” ministry of love. The missionary field, professional evangelism, and other full time ministries are not for many of us; there are some doing it who should not be there but have misinterpreted or have not listened to God's true call for their lives.

Fields of full time ministry require many years of training—God's preparation so that the person will be fully equipped for the challenges ahead. Remember that after Paul’s Damascus Road experience in which God called him to become an Apostle to the Gentiles, it was at least eight years before he undertook his first missionary journey.

Here are some enlightening words by Frederick Buechner about your calling:
"’VOCATION’ comes from the Latin word vocare, to call, and means the work a person is called to by God. There are all kinds of different voices calling you to all kinds of work, and the problem is to find out which is the voice of God rather than the voice of culture, the voice of self-interest, or the voice of your parents.

By and large, a good rule for finding out is this: the kind of work God usually calls you to is the kind of work that (a) you need most to do to express your true self, and that (b) the world most needs to have done.

If you really get a kick out of your work, you've probably met requirement (a), but if your work is writing TV deodorant commercials, the chances are you've missed requirement (b). On the other hand, if your work is being a doctor in a leper colony, you have probably met requirement (b), but if most the time you're bored and depressed by it, the chances are you have not only bypassed (a) but probably aren't helping your patients all that much either.

Neither the hair shirt nor the soft berth will do. The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.”

See Jeremiah 29:11

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Basically, no more half heartedness, full commitment, no matter how hard one way or the other. Time passes quickly. Before you know it, you will forever be looking back at your life and always tormented by the question: Should I or shouldn't I have been a minister. That isn't a nice place to get to.
Trust me, I know. God bless

Thank you so much Mr. Lawrence

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
If you study pastoral counselling, please get as much education as you can. I was in counseling for years because of my atheist father's verbal abuse. I tried going to three pastors who were "trained" in Christian counseling and they were less than helpful. I finally found help with a secular psychologist who happened to be a Christian.

If I study pastoral counseling, I do plan to get as much education as possible. I am currently in counseling with a secular Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who is a very dedicated Christian. Thank you for your kind advice.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Nonetheless, you can still take your concerns to your Heavenly Father and be sure that He will show you the right pathway forward (Isaiah 30:21)... also remember 1 Cor 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. So if you do a secular job or pastoral job work in such a way as to bring God the glory.

As a Korean son and as the eldest child, attempting to go against my father's wishes has been very, very difficult.

You posted: "...and this calling is often confirmed through godly people who He brings into your life."

At this point in time, the people in my life are telling me that I would make a good counselor/therapist because of all the things that I have suffered.

I will take my concerns to my Heavenly Father and ask Him to show me the right pathway forward.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
By and large, a good rule for finding out is this: the kind of work God usually calls you to is the kind of work that (a) you need most to do to express your true self, and that (b) the world most needs to have done.

If you really get a kick out of your work, you've probably met requirement (a), but if your work is writing TV deodorant commercials, the chances are you've missed requirement (b). On the other hand, if your work is being a doctor in a leper colony, you have probably met requirement (b), but if most the time you're bored and depressed by it, the chances are you have not only bypassed (a) but probably aren't helping your patients all that much either.

Neither the hair shirt nor the soft berth will do. The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.”

See Jeremiah 29:11

Thank you Dr. Atkinson

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In the sense of being called to be a Pastor, while your testimony is important, I see nothing in it that shows how you understand God calling you to be a Pastor. I do see sinful pressure from your father, abuse and lots of confusion, but I see nothing in what you wrote on why you want to or should become a Pastor. I am not saying that God is not calling you to be a Pastor, but nothing in what you wrote shows that.

Becoming a Pastor is a very serious calling and decision and God will hold you to very high account. If you are pressured into by someone else, it is clearly not a calling. If you are doing it to please someone else, it is clearly not a calling.

If you have seriously and prayerfully asked God to reveal to you if He is calling you to ministry, and you meet the qualifications of an overseer as defined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7, and you know there is nothing else in life that you can do with satisfaction, God may be calling you to Pastoral Ministry.

1 Timothy 3:1-7 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. (2) Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, (3) not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. (4) He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, (5) for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? (6) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. (7) Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

It is not an absolute requirement that you are married.

Are you above reproach?
Are you sober minded?
Are you self-controlled? From what you wrote, it sounds like you have to figure who is controlling your life, you or your father.
Are you respectable?
Are you hospitable?
Are you able to teach? Have the Elders in your church prayerfully evaluated your teaching ability? If you do not have the ability to teach, you are probably not being called to Pastoral ministry.
Are you a drunkard? Moreover, is there some unrepentant sin in your life that you are not dealing with?
Are you gentle? Can people approach you?
Are you quarrelsome? Are you argumentative for the sake of arguing?
Are you obsessed with money and possessions?
Can you manage your own household?
If you are married and have children, do your children obey and listen to you? This is not to say that they may not at times, but the overall pattern is that the children follow you.
Are you are recent convert? Do you have issues with pride or arrogance or conceit?
Do non-believers think well of you?

These are questions you need to examine yourself. You don't owe me an explanation, but if you cannot go through these questions and examine your own heart, are you still believing you are being called to the Ministry?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

From what I have read, you don't seem to have a desire to actually be a minister. You seem to be doing good with teaching Korean speakers to speak English. Maybe you can teach English speakers to speak Korean. I don't know. But you have applied five or six times to seminary and at least twice to MFT school.

How about settling down, getting an education in teaching, and learn how to actually teach. The Democratic Peoples Republic of Wisconsin has a killer teaching school (ok, it's the University of Wisconsin LOL), but there are all sorts of schools to look at.

As far as your father. My whole family was verbally abusive to me for a long time. My dad continued to be abusive until he fell into dementia. But I forgave them all, and I continue to pray for my family. I have reconciled with my brother and a sister. The other sister tried hard to start a knock down drag out war at Dad's funeral, but I refused to fight.

Forgive your father, get a job and move out of his house. It will do a lot for your self-esteem. As far as loneliness, make some friends, and just kick around with them for a while. You'll meet the right girl.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PastorFreud

Lie back on the couch.
Oct 25, 2002
✟6,612.00
Faith
Protestant
What if you were going to live anyway and your father's vow was just foolish on his part? Did God require him to make this vow? It sounds like part of a horrible upbringing for you, and one that has caused you more distress than you should have been subjected to.

I advise you to do neither ministry or counseling. Get yourself whole. Live life on your own for a couple of years, and then you will be in a place to clearly discern your path. Get a job, or two, or three. Try new things and different career options. Meet people. Build networks. Experience independence. Be careful not to get into dependent relationships with others. Toot your own horn. Figure out what you enjoy, what you don't, and parent yourself with grace and forgiveness. Feed your soul. Read all kinds of books, listen to different types of music, eat new foods. When you are ready, start narrowing your focus. When you can describe the career you want without mentioning your father, you might be ready to pursue that career. Best wishes!

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Read all kinds of books, listen to different types of music, eat new foods. When you are ready, start narrowing your focus. When you can describe the career you want without mentioning your father, you might be ready to pursue that career. Best wishes!

Thank you

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I haven't read the other replies, but I will give you my opinion anyway.

If you want to attend seminary and you have been accepted, then I think that you can confidently go there without having to wonder whether you have a word from God first. The scripture says that if we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us the desires of our hearts. If the desires of your heart is to go to seminary and have a vocational ministry, then your acceptance to the seminary is the first step.

The scripture also says that if we commit our way to the Lord then He will guide our steps. The scripture does not say that we have to wait for a definite word for that to happen. God often guides through open and closed doors. If God definitely did not want you to go to seminary, then He would have closed the door to you. The fact that you have been offered a place at two seminaries is a fairly strong indication that God is leading you that way.

Of course, the next step would be to pass your courses and to show yourself that you are a suitable candidate for the ministry. Be aware that the vocational ministry is one of the most difficult vocations that you could ever choose. You might realise this somewhere along the line and decide against it, but that is not a reason not to persevere and to graduate with a degree at the end. A seminary degree can be very useful and important for any work that you want to do in the church. Also, as I have discovered when at the age of 65 I spent three years doing a Masters in Divinity, it was a wonderful journey, even though my wife told me that she did not marry me to become a minister's wife! But I am a church elder and lay-preacher and my degree gives me a strong foundation in it.

It's the old story that a boat does mot have any direction until it is moving. Once your "boat" is in motion, then it can be directed. I think that you will have some wonderful experiences while you complete your seminary degree. God will give you further direction when you have finished it. He says don't worry about tomorrow, just get on with what you have to do today. So, today you have been accepted to seminary. Go for it. "Tomorrow", God will direct you for that day and then for the day after. He will direct you what courses to take, but you will be taking courses that attract you and be of best use to you, and that will be how He will direct you, instead of speaking to you through voices and flashing lights.

Remember that Paul went where he wanted to go on his missionary journeys, and it was only when God didn't want him to go somewhere, that's when He told him not to go there; and then He directed him to Macedonia through a vision. So the normal process for a believer is to go and do what seems right to you and if God doesn't like it, He will change your direction.

Upvote 0