How do I know whether I have a calling to vocational ministry?

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
How do I know whether God is calling me to full-time or part-time vocational ministry? To rephrase my question - how do I know if God is calling me to study in seminary and (possibly) pursue ordination as a Christian minister?

Background information about me (long post):

I was born prematurely...3 months early. The doctors only gave me a 50% chance of survival. As soon as I was born, I was rushed to a university NICU (intensive care unit for newborns) by ambulance. My dad drove behind the ambulance to the university NICU. As he drove behind the ambulance, Dad prayed to God and promised that if He allowed me to live....I would go to seminary and become a Christian pastor.

I spent 52 days in an incubator before my parents were allowed to take me home.

When I was 12 years old, Dad chose to tell me the story of my birth. He also told me that since he had sworn an oath to God, I was to go study in seminary and become a pastor.

During my childhood and teen years, Dad was physically and verbally abusive….constantly shouting and yelling. Thankfully, the physical abuse ended during my second year of university. Unfortunately, Dad’s verbal abuse has not stopped and continues to the present day.

Because Dad was physically and verbally abusive, I began to rebel against him during my high school and university years. I promised myself that I would never become a pastor.

Although I had attended church continuously from the time I was born, I became a Christian in 1996 when I was a high school student. Also in 1996, Dad graduated from seminary and was ordained as a Christian minister.

I graduated from university in December of 2002. In May of 2003, I was supposed to go on a short-term mission trip with a team from my church. Dad sat me down and said that he would prevent me from going on the short-term mission trip unless I applied for admission to seminary.

The pastor of our church did not want to recommend me for admission to seminary because I had not been serving in any capacity in the church. As a result, the pastor wrote me an unfavorable recommendation. I was admitted to the local evangelical seminary, but as a part-time student. Unhappy with the seminary’s decision to admit me as a part-time student, Dad coerced me into applying to teach English in Korea. Under coercion, I applied to be an English teacher in Korea and went to Canada with my short-term missions team.

Literally 3 days after I got back from my short-term mission trip, I got on an airplane and flew to South Korea to begin teaching English in the public schools.

In 2006, I once again applied for admission to the same evangelical seminary that I had applied to in 2003. This time, the seminary accepted me for admission as a seminary student. In May of 2008, I quit my English teaching job and returned to the United States so that I could begin my seminary studies in August 2008.

However, living in Dad’s house again was like excruciating torture. One week before seminary classes were to begin, I returned to South Korea without telling my parents where I was going.

Fast forward 2 years. In September of 2010, I enrolled in seminary night classes that my church was offering. Fast forward another 2 years to 2012. I decided to visit my family in the United States. The morning after I arrived at home, Dad woke me up early and took me to a local park. He told me that I should return to the United States and enroll in seminary. Without hesitation, I agreed to Dad’s request.

Because the application deadlines had already passed, I returned to the United States and enrolled in a local Korean-language seminary for one semester. I enrolled in 2 or 3 classes, but I did not enjoy my studies. I had difficulty concentrating and focusing on my seminary studies.

In December of 2012, I applied yet again to the evangelical seminary that had accepted me in 2003 and 2006. I was accepted for admission and studied at that seminary for 3 semesters. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy my seminary studies. I managed to start some friendships, but for the most part…I felt a gnawing sense of loneliness when I was supposed to be studying in the library and completing my seminary assignments.

In the summer of 2014, I was suspended from the seminary for a one year period because I posted a threatening blog post on my personal blog.

I decided that I was done with seminary, and I applied to a Marriage and Family Therapy counseling degree program.

In the summer of 2015, I was accepted for admission to the MFT degree program and earnestly began my MFT studies. Three weeks into my MFT studies, I made a social media threat to the seminary that had suspended me for one year. I was immediately expelled from the seminary.

The administrative officials of my MFT program cancelled my class registration and decided that I should re-apply to the program.

I re-applied for admission to the Marriage and Family Therapy degree program, and I was accepted for admission in May of 2016. Before I began MFT classes in August of 2016, I postponed my enrollment to August of 2017.

At the end of January 2017, I began to look for ways to move out of Dad’s house. I began to look for English teaching jobs in China and South Korea.

2 weeks ago, I applied for admission to another local seminary. Less than one week later, I was accepted for admission to that seminary.

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your dad's oath does not obligate you. You will fulfill his promise best by determining what call God has on your life, and fulfilling that. Since you were in high school in 1996, you are now in your mid thirties.

What do you feel called to do that will make the world a better place? Pastors serve more visibly, but so do carpenters, shoemakers, bakers, and head of families raising Christian children. And policemen, teachers, farmers, clerks, bankers, real estate agents, and every other career.

Nothing you have written suggests that you enjoy doing anything you mention. Take your dad's ideas out of the picture and start seeking God for the desires of your heart that will make the world a better place in some way. Follow your heart, and get into a career that will get you out of your dad's house.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Your dad's oath does not obligate you.

What do you feel called to do that will make the world a better place?

Nothing you have written suggests that you enjoy doing anything you mention. Take your dad's ideas out of the picture and start seeking God for the desires of your heart that will make the world a better place in some way. Follow your heart, and get into a career that will get you out of your dad's house.

Mr. Behrens, thank you so much for your detailed reply. It is very helpful. Thank you! Thank you!

Reactions: Ken Behrens
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I obtained degrees through a Christian University. I taught at Christian college level. The most frequent question was, from agonizing students, "Why doesn't God show me His will (where He wants me to serve.)" I told them that as Christians they were smack in the middle of God's will. Rather than permit doubt or questioning to enter, they should relax, entering into prayer and thanksgiving, not asking "why" or "when" or "where."

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I obtained degrees through a Christian University. I taught at Christian college level. The most frequent question was, from agonizing students, "Why doesn't God show me His will (where He wants me to serve.)" I told them that as Christians they were smack in the middle of God's will. Rather than permit doubt or questioning to enter, they should relax, entering into prayer and thanksgiving, not asking "why" or "when" or "where."

Thank you Winken. That is very helpful

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
what a story! I'm exhausted just reading it!
here's my take on this:
Your father is still controlling you. You need intensive counselling to recover from your father's interference in your life. You are still not sure who you are. I'd steer clear of the seminary or theology college if I were you, but that is just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Your father is still controlling you. You need intensive counselling to recover from your father's interference in your life. You are still not sure who you are. I'd steer clear of the seminary or theology college if I were you, but that is just my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion. It is very helpful....I am aware that my father is still controlling me.

I am currently receiving intensive Christian counseling from a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do I know whether God is calling me to full-time or part-time vocational ministry? To rephrase my question - how do I know if God is calling me to study in seminary and (possibly) pursue ordination as a Christian minister?

Background information about me (long post):

I was born prematurely...3 months early. The doctors only gave me a 50% chance of survival. As soon as I was born, I was rushed to a university NICU (intensive care unit for newborns) by ambulance. My dad drove behind the ambulance to the university NICU. As he drove behind the ambulance, Dad prayed to God and promised that if He allowed me to live....I would go to seminary and become a Christian pastor.

I spent 52 days in an incubator before my parents were allowed to take me home.

When I was 12 years old, Dad chose to tell me the story of my birth. He also told me that since he had sworn an oath to God, I was to go study in seminary and become a pastor.

During my childhood and teen years, Dad was physically and verbally abusive….constantly shouting and yelling. Thankfully, the physical abuse ended during my second year of university. Unfortunately, Dad’s verbal abuse has not stopped and continues to the present day.

Because Dad was physically and verbally abusive, I began to rebel against him during my high school and university years. I promised myself that I would never become a pastor.

Although I had attended church continuously from the time I was born, I became a Christian in 1996 when I was a high school student. Also in 1996, Dad graduated from seminary and was ordained as a Christian minister.

I graduated from university in December of 2002. In May of 2003, I was supposed to go on a short-term mission trip with a team from my church. Dad sat me down and said that he would prevent me from going on the short-term mission trip unless I applied for admission to seminary.

The pastor of our church did not want to recommend me for admission to seminary because I had not been serving in any capacity in the church. As a result, the pastor wrote me an unfavorable recommendation. I was admitted to the local evangelical seminary, but as a part-time student. Unhappy with the seminary’s decision to admit me as a part-time student, Dad coerced me into applying to teach English in Korea. Under coercion, I applied to be an English teacher in Korea and went to Canada with my short-term missions team.

Literally 3 days after I got back from my short-term mission trip, I got on an airplane and flew to South Korea to begin teaching English in the public schools.

In 2006, I once again applied for admission to the same evangelical seminary that I had applied to in 2003. This time, the seminary accepted me for admission as a seminary student. In May of 2008, I quit my English teaching job and returned to the United States so that I could begin my seminary studies in August 2008.

However, living in Dad’s house again was like excruciating torture. One week before seminary classes were to begin, I returned to South Korea without telling my parents where I was going.

Fast forward 2 years. In September of 2010, I enrolled in seminary night classes that my church was offering. Fast forward another 2 years to 2012. I decided to visit my family in the United States. The morning after I arrived at home, Dad woke me up early and took me to a local park. He told me that I should return to the United States and enroll in seminary. Without hesitation, I agreed to Dad’s request.

Because the application deadlines had already passed, I returned to the United States and enrolled in a local Korean-language seminary for one semester. I enrolled in 2 or 3 classes, but I did not enjoy my studies. I had difficulty concentrating and focusing on my seminary studies.

In December of 2012, I applied yet again to the evangelical seminary that had accepted me in 2003 and 2006. I was accepted for admission and studied at that seminary for 3 semesters. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy my seminary studies. I managed to start some friendships, but for the most part…I felt a gnawing sense of loneliness when I was supposed to be studying in the library and completing my seminary assignments.

In the summer of 2014, I was suspended from the seminary for a one year period because I posted a threatening blog post on my personal blog.

I decided that I was done with seminary, and I applied to a Marriage and Family Therapy counseling degree program.

In the summer of 2015, I was accepted for admission to the MFT degree program and earnestly began my MFT studies. Three weeks into my MFT studies, I made a social media threat to the seminary that had suspended me for one year. I was immediately expelled from the seminary.

The administrative officials of my MFT program cancelled my class registration and decided that I should re-apply to the program.

I re-applied for admission to the Marriage and Family Therapy degree program, and I was accepted for admission in May of 2016. Before I began MFT classes in August of 2016, I postponed my enrollment to August of 2017.

At the end of January 2017, I began to look for ways to move out of Dad’s house. I began to look for English teaching jobs in China and South Korea.

2 weeks ago, I applied for admission to another local seminary. Less than one week later, I was accepted for admission to that seminary.

Hmmm .... I feel divided, normally I would say, you have no obligation to an oath made by some one else, and you don't. But in one sense it may be a good thing. You have been accepted by the Seminary, so why not give it a go. If you can make it into ministry it may be of benefit to others. It would also make your father happy, if you take that course.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hmmm .... I feel divided, normally I would say, you have no obligation to an oath made by some one else, and you don't. But in one sense it may be a good thing. You have been accepted by the Seminary, so why not give it a go. If you can make it into ministry it may be of benefit to others. It would also make your father happy, if you take that course.

Thank you. Actually, graduating from seminary would make both my father and my mother happy :clap:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's your calling that matters, not anything your father says you have to do. The only person who has to concur with your calling is your bishop. If he doesn't agree to your calling, it's likely you didn't have a real calling.

So do YOU want this? If so, go to seminary. If your bishop is then willing to ordain you it's at least half likely you were called to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just a quick agree here. Your father's story (which may not even be true) obligates you to do exactly nothing. You don't bargain with God using the future career path of sick infants as your "payment". Or if you do, those infants are not later obligated to do anything.

It doesn't sound like you're drawn to this at all. Turn off your dad's voice and listen for your calling.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So do YOU want this?
That's right. I don't think the OP has given us an indication of his level of faith in God/Jesus Christ. Is there any part of scripture that really speaks to your calling for instance?

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You don't bargain with God using the future career path of sick infants as your "payment". Or if you do, those infants are not later obligated to do anything.

It doesn't sound like you're drawn to this at all. Turn off your dad's voice and listen for your calling.

Thank you

Upvote 0

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really have no business advising people about going to seminary, but I will say that it sounds like you could benefit from taking some time off, working a bit, and continuing your therapy. And disconnecting some from you controlling father. I don't know what you think about seminary. Do you have thoughts on it? You mention making threatening posts on social media and being removed from programs you were in. Have you got that issue sorted out? Do you feel steady enough in your heart to go down this path? I don't mean to discourage you, but it seems that you might benefit from using your therapy to really look into your motivations.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Is there any part of scripture that really speaks to your calling for instance?

1 Corinthians 2:1-4 (New Living Translation)
When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn’t use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God’s secret plan. For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified. I came to you in weakness—timid and trembling. And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Do you feel steady enough in your heart to go down this path? I don't mean to discourage you, but it seems that you might benefit from using your therapy to really look into your motivations.

I am continuing in therapy....my therapist is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist...she's also a very dedicated Christian...so I have the best of both worlds....Christian therapy.

You mention that I could benefit from taking time off....that's good advice. Basically, I've taken 4 years off....I've taken time off for the past 4 years. Now, I am ready to study or work....I'm ready to do something.

I have spent enough time cooped up in my room....

All of you have been kind enough to reply to my long-winded post and give me some really good advice.

Regarding seminary....I feel like I am Jonah, trying to run away from God. I know that I am not obligated to fulfill my dad's vow to God....but I feel as if God is pushing me back to seminary and possibly vocational ministry.

I learned my lesson the hard way....I no longer threaten people (or schools) on social media/the Internet....

Therapy has helped me resolve a lot of my anger issues....

I am prayerfully trying to discern my true motivations for studying in seminary....

Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, I did not enjoy my seminary studies. I managed to start some friendships, but for the most part…I felt a gnawing sense of loneliness when I was supposed to be studying in the library and completing my seminary assignments.
ah-nah-nee-mee-dang-sing-earl-chook-poke-hah-kah-see-ruel-pah-lahp-nee-tah.

I posted a threatening blog

I made a social media threat to the seminary that had suspended me for one year.
Jesus . . . "when He suffered, did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously" (in 1 Peter 2:23). And this scripture says Jesus did not revile back against people who reviled Him.

I taught at Christian college level. The most frequent question was, from agonizing students, "Why doesn't God show me His will (where He wants me to serve.)"
We all are called to submit to how our Heavenly Father rules us in our hearts > Colossians 3:15; and humbly and gently share in love with one another > Ephesians 4:1-3.

here's my take on this:
Your father is still controlling you.
And if he has been a temperamental person, this can spread to you. You need to be changed by God so you do not have ego personality stuff which could have come from him. Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

I'd steer clear of the seminary or theology college if I were you, but that is just my opinion.
First, we need to learn how to submit to how our Father rules us in His own peace, and how He has us relating in His love > Colossians 3:15, Ephesians 4:1-3. And Jesus says, "learn from Me", in Matthew 11:28-30. Our real seminary could be how Jesus in us has us discovering how to love, while we enjoy and appreciate how His love makes us strong against nasty reacting anger and trying to use people. Love does not have us using people!! Ones can get very angry . . . when they can not use people the way they want.

You might feed on 1 Timothy 3:1-10. To me, this means a men first needs to grow in his own home with his wife and children, so he can learn how to care for people in our Father's caring and sharing way. His wife helps him to mature and become more and more real with God, and find out how to love in marriage, and how to bring up children. She is a very important part of this education. So, his main seminary, qualifying him to pastor, could be in his own home and marriage! :)

I am currently receiving intensive Christian counseling from a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).
A Christian lady can help you get more real with God and find out how to love. And this should be why you get interested in a certain lady for marriage > because she helps you get real with God and find out how to love . . . not because you hope to use her for what you want. Be prayerfully careful that you don't follow your father in being able to dictate what others will do and getting nasty angry about not getting what you dictate.

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

If you can make it into ministry it may be of benefit to others. It would also make your father happy, if you take that course.
Well, I am concerned about if your dad knows how to be happy and the right reasons for being happy. So, going along with him might not be helping him become the way he needs to become.

But you have had problems and you have been your own problem. So, if God's grace transforms you into a gentle and quiet and humble all-loving person, you then can help others >

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

You can feel for others because of how you have failed, yourself.

You don't bargain with God using the future career path of sick infants as your "payment".

it sounds like you could benefit from taking some time off, working a bit, and continuing your therapy.
Living as an unordained person can give you experience with people and how people live in this world, so that then, if you were to become a pastor, you can understand how things are for other people who work and have families. Jesus went through things of this life so now He can feel for us and help us > Hebrews 4:15 < so, by using your experiences to help you understand and help others, you are doing what Jesus does in His priesthood.

And disconnecting some from you controlling father. I don't know what you think about seminary.
You can use your difficult seminary experience and your experience with your father, in order to help you to understand what others are going through. Nothing needs to be a waste :)

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Test every thing, for the good which God can use it to create with you :)

I am continuing in therapy....my therapist is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist...she's also a very dedicated Christian...so I have the best of both worlds....Christian therapy.

I learned my lesson the hard way....I no longer threaten people (or schools) on social media/the Internet....
Well, hard consequences are not the main reason not to do something. We need to have love as our motive and reason. We need to care for people who do not give us what we want, or who even use us and hurt us. If our first reaction is against problem people, we need to pray with hope for them, instead :)

Therapy has helped me resolve a lot of my anger issues....

I am prayerfully trying to discern my true motivations for studying in seminary....
We can seek God for His reasons. And you might feed on how God with Joseph used Joseph's horrible situations for God's good end > Genesis 37-50.

Also, you might feed on what Our Apostle Paul says about his "thorn in the flesh" experience > 2 Corinthians 12:7-15 < Jesus does not just give us convenient help, but He has us get strong in His grace so we can always make His use of whatever our situation is > for His all-loving purposes, not only to make things nicer and easier for us.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
ah-nah-nee-mee-dang-sing-earl-chook-poke-hah-kah-see-ruel-pah-lahp-nee-tah.

And if he has been a temperamental person, this can spread to you. You need to be changed by God so you do not have ego personality stuff which could have come from him. Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

Well, I am concerned about if your dad knows how to be happy and the right reasons for being happy. So, going along with him might not be helping him become the way he needs to become.

But you have had problems and you have been your own problem. So, if God's grace transforms you into a gentle and quiet and humble all-loving person, you then can help others >

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

You can feel for others because of how you have failed, yourself.

You can use your difficult seminary experience and your experience with your father, in order to help you to understand what others are going through. Nothing needs to be a waste :)

Gahm-sa-ham-nida....thank you

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
people who have suffered like you may be useful to others in a counselling role. One option for you is to study counselling. I haven't suffered like you but I am attracted to a counselling role myself.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
people who have suffered like you may be useful to others in a counselling role. One option for you is to study counselling. I haven't suffered like you but I am attracted to a counselling role myself.

That is exactly what I was thinking....I will go to seminary and study Pastoral Counseling. After I graduate from seminary, I may even earn a Marriage and Family Therapy counseling degree.

Upvote 0