Apr 26, 2005
Saguache Co
✟7,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Antman_5

So if some one losses their salvation, is it because Christ finshed their faith before they died ?

I have considerd whether or not I could loose my Salvation. I have seen this argued more than once and because of those arguments I'm not sure one way or the other. There does seem to be support for both sides of this issue. I have run into things in the Bible that I didn't fully understand and when I do, I have to weigh it pro against con and let the side with the most support be held as truth. I want to believe we can't loose our Salvation and this desire influences my thinking. Being a realist I have to say there is a possibility but I'm not really worried about loosing mine. I've been a Christian for more than two thirds of my life and haven't lost it yet. Knowing my self as I do this is an accomplishment for me.

I do know a pastor who wound up on skid row as a drunk. He says he no longer believes in Christ. Some say he was never saved in the first place. Yet because of him being used by the spirit several have seen the light. I can't say that he was never saved because I'm not Jesus Christ nor can I see what is written in the book of life. All I can say is if he wasn't saved when he was preaching he certainly fooled me.

The problem I have with saying he wasn't saved in the first place is how many could have said the same about me. I've sinned since I've been saved and I confessed those sin sins and been forgiven for them. Yet while I was sinning someone from church could have witnessed my sin and said I was never saved in the first place. Just because they claimed this ,doesn't make it so. Even this preacher could still be saved and is just in denial. Peter denied Christ is this anything knew? I don't think so. I just cannot judge anyones Salvation even if they say they no longer believe. There is simply no way anyone can know for sure.
Mike

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
So if some one losses their salvation, is it because Christ finshed their faith before they died ?
Weeelllll, I'm not ARMINIAN (but I PLAY one on "tv"....) :p

My understanding does lie much closer to Arminianism than to Calvinism. To correctly understand Scripture, it is often very useful to go to the original language in which it was written. In addition, each passage must harmonize with the WHOLE --- so, before we examine this in Greek, let's see if we can determine where faith comes FROM.

There are different TYPES of faith; there is a faith that is a "spiritual gift", given to ONE believer and not to ANOTHER. 1Cor12:9. There is a "measure of faith given to ALL believers" Romans 12:3. So in discussing "soteriology", we must specify "SAVING-faith" (or saving-belief).

Calvinists often take Gal2:8 as "dictate" to mean "saving-faith is INSTILLED by God" (monergistically, unilaterally, apart from our ASKING for it). A.T.Robertson analyzed that verse (He was an excellent Greek scholar), and states: "The word 'that' does not refer to 'faith', nor to 'grace', but to 'salvation'." (quoted from memory) Nowhere does any verse assert that "saving-faith is machinated by God". Rom10:9-10 clearly says "saving-belief comes from the heart", 2Tim3:15 says "conviction by reading Scriptures leads to saving-faith", etcetera. So the notion is simply not supported that "God GIVES us saving-faith". (Look at Rom10:14 --- how could faith be conditioned upon exposure to PREACHERS, if that faith was instilled by God?)

So --- if "saving faith" is from US, then what meaning could "God-author/finisher-of-our-faith" convey?

The Greek for "author", is "archegos" --- which directly translated is "leader/prince". And the Greek for "finisher" is "teleiotes", which is "leader-by-example". I don't think this passage was meant to assert "God INSTALLS saving-faith and PERFECTS it WITHOUT our prior assent".

Look at Romans 1:17: "The righteousness of God is revealed from BEGINNING faith to ENDING faith --- the righteous shall live by faith."

It is clear that "saving-faith", is our RESPONSE to the Gospel --- if we are convicted by it and believe.

Iluvlight --- welcome to the boards! :)
Being a realist I have to say there is a possibility but I'm not really worried about loosing mine
There is a time when the discussion doesn't matter. A person holding to "OSAS" can stand in fellowship with one believing in "OSNAS", and can agree and worship God in perfect harmony. Both are SAVED, both know that themselves AND the other is saved.

No problem. :)

The only time it matters, is the valid question of: "Is perseverence/diligence charged to us PERSONALLY?"

I can cite verses that say it is.
The problem I have with saying he wasn't saved in the first place is how many could have said the same about me. I've sinned since I've been saved and I confessed those sin sins and been forgiven for them. Yet while I was sinning someone from church could have witnessed my sin and said I was never saved in the first place. Just because they claimed this ,doesn't make it so. Even this preacher could still be saved and is just in denial. Peter denied Christ is this anything knew? I don't think so. I just cannot judge anyones Salvation even if they say they no longer believe. There is simply no way anyone can know for sure.
All three views of OSAS assert that "if they aren't saved NOW then they never really WERE saved (in the first place)."

But if "abiding-in-salvation" (which is to say, "abiding in Christ") is charged to US, then I believe it very much affects our approach to the Gospel, to Christ, and to salvation.

There does seem to be a healthy "fear" in Rom11:20-22, doesn't there?

:)

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ben johnson said:
Weeelllll, I'm not ARMINIAN (but I PLAY one on "tv"....) :p

My understanding does lie much closer to Arminianism than to Calvinism.

well in what way are you NOT an Arminian Ben ?

I see many Arminians posting here , but no one wants to be called one , perhaps they are ashamed of what it means :confused: :D

Upvote 0

ILUVLIGHT

Apr 26, 2005
Saguache Co
✟7,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ben;Thankyou for the welcome.
The only time it matters, is the valid question of: "Is perseverence/diligence charged to us PERSONALLY?"
I can't deny we are to work out our own Salvation and perseverance is something we do and is not done for us. If we were kept on the path by God then our nature would never change. It makes sense to me that sooner or later we are tested by God. His word says we are. What good would that test be if it wasn't up to me. Does God tests His own ability to persevere us?. Obviously He would be if it was up to Him to see we persevere. To say we do it all our selves isn't exactly so either IMO. Correction plays a very important role in my walk with out which I would never be able to persevere. I believe because I'm accept those corrections, and my willingness to submit, is my assurance. Mine is a relationship with Christ.
All three views of OSAS assert that "if they aren't saved NOW then they never really WERE saved (in the first place)."

But if "abiding-in-salvation" (which is to say, "abiding in Christ") is charged to US, then I believe it very much affects our approach to the Gospel, to Christ, and to salvation.

There does seem to be a healthy "fear" in Rom11:20-22, doesn't there?
OSAS in reality isn't the same as perseverance of the saints. The only way I could be sure of loosing it would be if I lost it. I'd just as soon not experiment. While I have read many that say you can loose it I have read about as many that say the opposite.
I see your point about Rom 11:20-22 These Israelites were elected however does election insure Salvation?. I don't believe it does. What was broken out of the tree was there election not Salvation. They can still be grafted back in if they repent. That means re-election not re-saved.

One thing leads to another forgive me for not following the subject line but I have to ask. What do people believe election is for? Remember Ninevah was not a Jewish city. They were not elected yet they believed Jonah. Were they saved because of there belief or not?

Mike

Upvote 0

unimportantbuthisnameis

Philippians 2:8-10
Oct 27, 2004
North Carolina
Visit site
✟16,997.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
cygnusx1 said:
I see many Arminians posting here , but no one wants to be called one , perhaps they are ashamed of what it means :confused: :D

I'm not Arminian in that I don't adhere to the belief of individual election based upon God's forknowledge of those who He knew would accept him.

Upvote 0

ILUVLIGHT

Apr 26, 2005
Saguache Co
✟7,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Cygnusx1;

Actually the shame is not placing Christ as the head of your faith. If you want to be known as the follower of a sinner just like yourself then go ahead.
Mike

Upvote 0

Beoga

Sola Scriptura
Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
✟19,681.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
ILUVLIGHT said:
Hi Cygnusx1;

Actually the shame is not placing Christ as the head of your faith. If you want to be known as the follower of a sinner just like yourself then go ahead.
Mike

actually Calvinism and Arminianism are titles given to represent certain beliefs, how then is one not placing Christ as the head of their faith? How then are we placing sinful men as the head of our faith and becoming a "follower of a sinner?"

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
ILUVLIGHT said:
Hi Cygnusx1;

Mike

John The BAPTIST wasn't sinless , why call yourself a Baptist :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ILUVLIGHT

Apr 26, 2005
Saguache Co
✟7,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Littleapologist;

actually Calvinism and Arminianism are titles given to represent certain beliefs, how then is one not placing Christ as the head of their faith? How then are we placing sinful men as the head of our faith and becoming a "follower of a sinner?"
I'm sorry but properly when one allows the name of another person to be attached to them it means they follow that person. Such as Christian means you claim to be a follower of Christ. Especially when any name and not just the name of a man is attached to you. Since you brought it up Calvin isn't even the true founder of what is called Calvinism.
I suspect that is because Calvin protested the Catholic church. Augustine is known for being the author of the Catholic faith. However there was no Catholic faith until Constatine in about 325 AD. I'm not sure just when they became universal I think it may have been one of those gradual things. Calvin was right to protest the Catholic Church but IMO misguided by Augustines writings. This is not to say that Calvin was completely wrong. He was right about a lot of things. I'm sure the man was a Christian. Jesus Christ is the Son of God what else could be more important. I admire his protest it took a lot of bravery to do what he did. He was a true Hero of Christianity. I'm sure there was a Pope somewhere who wanted his head though.

I read a lot of post here before I joined I wasn't to sure if I wanted to argue doctrine any more. If you believe and have confessed Christ as Savior then you are saved and a brother in Christ. My only purpose is to present light whether you accept it or not is entirely up to you. I can only do what my Savior wants because I'm helpless with out him to convince anyone of anything. Truth being as it is, is not always convincing but once it's been presented it's the listeners responsibility to respond to it. Meaning my responsibility is only to present it where I'm told.
Mike

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
OSAS in reality isn't the same as perseverance of the saints. The only way I could be sure of loosing it would be if I lost it. I'd just as soon not experiment. While I have read many that say you can loose it I have read about as many that say the opposite.
I see your point about Rom 11:20-22 These Israelites were elected however does election insure Salvation?. I don't believe it does. What was broken out of the tree was their election not Salvation. They can still be grafted back in if they repent. That means re-election not re-saved.
What distinction do you make between "elect" and "saved"? Do you assert a "position of salvation" that exists absent repentance?
I read a lot of post here before I joined I wasn't to sure if I wanted to argue doctrine any more. If you believe and have confessed Christ as Savior then you are saved and a brother in Christ. My only purpose is to present light whether you accept it or not is entirely up to you. I can only do what my Savior wants because I'm helpless with out him to convince anyone of anything. Truth being as it is, is not always convincing but once it's been presented it's the listeners responsibility to respond to it. Meaning my responsibility is only to present it where I'm told.
Mike, none of us have all the answers. Scripture says "You who teach others, will you not also teach yourself?" By arguing theology, the desire is that each person emerge stronger in his/her faith, closer to God, and (hopefully) closer in love to each other. There is no prideful "win" or "lose"; the only winner is God.

No matter how mature anyone feels he/she is, there's always something new to learn. I grow as I look at the world (and at Scripture) through each person's eyes; and as I force others to study the Scripture, I am also forced to study it. So many good refutations of "Reformed Theology" have disclosed themselves to me as I have simply read the context of the "predestination verses" they have presented...

Upvote 0

JohnJones

Jun 29, 2004
✟1,084.00
Faith
Christian
how do Aminians answer this ??

Heb 12:2 looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right of the throne of God. MKJV

"Our faith" here refers to "Christianity." He authored Christianity, and finished it, authored the whole thing, didn't leave anything out. Now that He has wholly authored Christianity, it is our duty to follow it, as Hebrew 5:9 says "being made perfect, He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey Him." He didn't believe in Himself for us and thus we are saved by His believing in His own self--NAY, but rather He authored the entirety of Christianity, and if we follow it, if we obey Him, He saves us.

(Not Arminian. There is a third option as far as belief on election, and a fourth, etc.)

Upvote 0

ILUVLIGHT

Apr 26, 2005
Saguache Co
✟7,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ben;

What distinction do you make between "elect" and "saved"? Do you assert a "position of salvation" that exists absent repentance?
No. Election is not Salvation. Election is only a choosing. The problems I believe a lot of people have with it is they have no idea what election is really for. Salvation is the result of repentance and trusting in Christ. Every man on the planet can trust in Christ if they know about Him. If they know about Him they are drawn to Him. If they are drawn they can come to Him. Some men even though they are drawn will not come to Him because they are in love with the darkness they live in. All men have sinned and come short of the glory of God. So before Salvation all men live in Darkness. I believe all men are planned for by God and according to there own actions. God adjust those plans accordingly. Predestination is only a plan in the mind of God. Like any architect those plans are alterable based on what ever God has to plan around to bring certain events about. The only perfect plan is the plan that God has control of even after the plan has been made. A plan does not become Sovereign Just because it is a plan of God. God is Sovereign some disagree with what I believe what Sovereignty is. This is How I see His Sovereignty.
Math 8:6-13 Jesus was going to go to the centurions house to heal his servant but the centurions demonstration of faith was such that Christ called it Great. Christ stated that the centurions belief had healed him because Christ had granted it because, of his faith. You see the actions of men have a lot to do with God's actions towards us.
Mike, none of us have all the answers.
I agree none of us do. Don't we all wish we did?. I don't believe I claimed to have either but, I do have light not all the light this is true. The Spirit leads us into the light and He does know all of it.
By arguing theology, the desire is that each person emerge stronger in his/her faith, closer to God, and (hopefully) closer in love to each other.
I understand that idea and I agree with it, but I would add by all this refuting and counter refuting we can also find the truth. There is not but one faith in Christ and there is only one truth we should all be ready to provide an answer for our faith. We should also be ready to accept the truth rather than to fight to save face as in a battle. I hope that you didn't take any thing I said to mean I think I know it all. All I do know about Christianity is in God's word. There are things I'm not sure about one is the pretrib rapture. I didn't say that I don't have faith in it because it is what I hope for. However because of some scriptures I have read. I can only hope for it I can't know it for sure, as proof positive. Paul defined what he meant by "Faith" I have to believe that this is what most thought it means in his day. So if Faith is hope it can also be misplaced. Only when the rapture happens can I know it.

There is no prideful "win" or "lose"; the only winner is God.
I'm courious as to why you made this statement. This is what I said in my post.
Originally posted by ILUVLIGHT;
My only purpose is to present light whether you accept it or not is entirely up to you. I can only do what my Savior wants because I'm helpless with out him to convince anyone of anything. Truth being as it is, is not always convincing but once it's been presented it's the listeners responsibility to respond to it. Meaning my responsibility is only to present it where I'm told.
Where do you see the pride? You see I can't tell If your telling me I'm prideful or if your deliberately trying to bate me into something. As I said in my quote from my self I'm here to present the light. I'm not here to disscuss what you may feel is my sin.
No matter how mature anyone feels he/she is, there's always something new to learn. I grow as I look at the world (and at Scripture) through each person's eyes; and as I force others to study the Scripture, I am also forced to study it. So many good refutations of "Reformed Theology" have disclosed themselves to me as I have simply read the context of the "predestination verses" they have presented...
I think I understand. If you're trying to figure out if I'm a Calvinist. Why not just ask? The answer is I do not claim the name of any man but Christ. I realize that the name "Christian " comes with a lot of Baggage so I'll be more specific I'm a born again Christian I neither consider my self Calvinist,Arminian, pelagain, universalist, or "?"
It is Christ that I love and have surrenderd to.
Mike

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
No. Election is not Salvation.
And yet, the "elect" are the "saved".
Every man on the planet can trust in Christ if they know about Him. If they know about Him they are drawn to Him. If they are drawn they can come to Him.
Doesn't passages like Rom1:19-20 clearly state that "He is revealed to them", and Jn12:32 says "I (Jesus) will draw ALL MEN to Myself"?
Some men even though they are drawn will not come to Him because they are in love with the darkness they live in. All men have sinned and come short of the glory of God. So before Salvation all men live in Darkness. I believe all men are planned for by God and according to their own actions, God adjusts those plans accordingly. Predestination is only a plan in the mind of God. Like any architect those plans are alterable based on what ever God has to plan around to bring certain events about. The only perfect plan is the plan that God has control of even after the plan has been made. A plan does not become Sovereign Just because it is a plan of God. God is Sovereign some disagree with what I believe what Sovereignty is. This is How I see His Sovereignty.
Math 8:6-13 Jesus was going to go to the centurions house to heal his servant but the centurions demonstration of faith was such that Christ called it Great. Christ stated that the centurions belief had healed him because Christ had granted it because, of his faith. You see the actions of men have a lot to do with God's actions towards us.
I agree. But we can be clear on exactly what is "predestined" in Scripture; we are "predestined to be CHRISTLIKE" --- we who LOVE GOD. Rom8:28-29 We are "predestined to adoption as sons, according to the kind intention of His will". Eph1:5 Look at verse 6; that "kind intention of His will", is "freely bestowed on us in the BELOVED (Jesus)".

John6:40 says His will is that "all who see and believe may have eternal life."

Eph1:11 says "we ...predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will" --- but that conflicts "free will" not at all.

If God sovereignly decreed that "whosoever believes should not perish but have eternal life", then THAT is what is predestined --- the "free BESTOWMENT in Jesus, and He WILLS that whosoever BELIEVES should not perish!"

Look now at Eph1:13 --- belief is CAUSAL, and the CONDITION upon which the seal of the Holy Spirit is affixed.

This fits perfectly with all the verses I read about "Jesus rebuking them for NOT believing" * , and verses like Luke 17:30 saying "God demands that ALL repent".

* No one (Calvinist) has to my memory commented on the Matt11:21-24 passage. Why would Jesus say "it will go better for THEM than for YOU", unless He was saying "because you are more WILLFULLY UNBELIEVING (having SEEN the miracles!) than THEY were!"?
I'm courious as to why you made this statement. This is what I said in my post.
A statement of general principle; we agree. :)
I am between Calvinism and Arminianism (though closer to one than the other). Those two at least embrace foundational truths like "salvation by grace through faith". Universalism asserts a second redemption (through Hell :eek: ), Pelagianism denies the necessity of Christ (mankind's inherent goodness apart from cleansing by Jesus' blood).
Amen! God bless you, Mike.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ben johnson said:
This fits perfectly with all the verses I read about "Jesus rebuking them for NOT believing" * , and verses like Luke 17:30 saying "God demands that ALL repent".

* No one (Calvinist) has to my memory commented on the Matt11:21-24 passage. Why would Jesus say "it will go better for THEM than for YOU", unless He was saying "because you are more WILLFULLY UNBELIEVING (having SEEN the miracles!) than THEY were!"?
ben , quote a thousand scriptures that show man is to blame , that man is willful , that man hates Both God and The light and I will be the first to say , "absolutely right"

Calvinists do not believe in PHYSICAL inability but MORAL inability , ie , God gave us a brain , a conscience and a will , we did not lose these at the fall .

We have all our faculties intact , yet something did happen to those faculties and the heart of man was changed as a result of sin entering our constitution .

The first sign of a change is hiding ourselves from God (how irrational is that!) out of fear and shame .Men have been in hiding ever since.
The second sign is attempting to cover our own nakedness ..... "I don't need God or a Saviour I have got ME" , Salvation by works is man's way , not God's way.
The third sign is passing the blame : "it's not my fault, who shall I blame , ahh yes I inherited a sin nature" Men still think new excuses up , just visit GA .

so we see , men had all their God given parts including a will to choose INTACT, yet something aweful , terrible has happened to the constitution of all mankind .

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. Ephesians 4:17-

Only Grace ACTIVE can change that.

Upvote 0

sojourner

Aug 17, 2003
✟753.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
cygnus,

so we see , men had all their God given parts including a will to choose INTACT, yet something aweful , terrible has happened to the constitution of all mankind .

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. Ephesians 4:17-

What you posted above along with a lot of your posting on other threads in which you and I have been engaged shows, to me, a real misunderstanding of God's great Grace that He has bestowed upon His creatures, man.

Most of what I am going to say is in reference to your position of a limited work of Christ, a minimizing of His work, inspite of what you have stated.
First, you have it correct that man was created good. He was not perfect but good. He had a will, which is evident in the choice of Adam.
Mankind fell through Adam. We became corrupted and were held in bondage to death and sin.
We still had a will, corrupted, but worse is that our natures held sway, or held us in that bondage to death and sin. We were alienated from God in that He could not have a direct communion with His creatures. However, God knew from the foundation of the world that all of this would happen. He also knew that He would send His Son into the world in the flesh. The Word became Flesh. Because He knew this God did have relationships with man before Christ actually came. He still communed with Adam, we know with Abel, with Enoch, God walked with Enoch. Noah comes to mind. All these men had faith, faith from their conscience that God existed. See Romans 1. God was revealing Himself in divers ways as Paul relates. Eventually Abraham is chosen to begin a preferred nation from which the Messiah would come. Isreal receives special blessings and communion with God through intermediarys, prophets, kings, Judges and others but the point is God has interaction with man, though particular.
Eventually, in due time Christ is born. He is the Saviour of the World. He will save His people from their sins. He will replace the archtype of the animal sacrifice. Christ came to bring the solution to the fall.
This is where you generally leave the Gospel Truth and want to limit the Grace that God poured out on this world, on mankind with Christ. But the fact is, Christ took away the bondage to all men. God, more than anything else desires communion with man. It is the sole purpose of man's creation. A communion that is free but also no longer under bondage. The point here is that even if man was given a pure will, unemcombered with a fallen nature, that we might choose to have a relationship with Christ, but it would end at our deaths. Christ redeemed mankind, gave life to all men, removed the bondage of death, eternal death, physical and spiritual death for an eternity.
Having been freed, it now becomes man's responsibility to use that freedom in line with God's will which is to be IN Him. Belief, faith becomes for all men the condition in which any and all men can have communion with God. God redeemed mankind so He could pour out His Spirit upon all flesh. This is an external working of the Holy Spirit, now calling all men to repentance. Leading, influences, directing all men to believe. Man's will is not so corrupted that it cannot make a decision given the leading of the Spirit.
This is done through the Incarnation. Immortality of mankind makes it possible for God to have a communion with mankind in this fallen world because we will never perish eternally. NO ONE.
A physical death is not what we need to fear any longer, provided we are IN Christ. But mankind does not face extinction. God did in fact redeem the entire universe, man included. Why would he actually destroy His Supreme Creatures, created in His Image. Incomprehensible.

The verses you use above from Eph are nothing more than that man, in his preverseness and fallen nature, does not follow the Spirits leading. By whatever means that might be. But they do have the ability to believe. It is all Grace that they in fact have this ability. This is where I see you denying a lot of God's Grace in limiting him to the concept of predestination of particular believers and as I pointed out in another post, by not accepting the Scriptural and historical understanding of the Incarnation, actually have God destroying His own creatures.

Once man does believe as He is led by the Spirit he recieves more Grace to follow through. To repent, be baptised, then follows spiritual regeneration of each believer, as well as the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. How much Grace can we wish for. We actually do very little of the work. Work which so many protestants want to deny because they confuse the two kinds of work and the two parts of salvation of man - redemption and Union. As well as making God compel, force His will, upon those free creatures who were specifically created to be free and to freely love and obey Him and follow His will.

Lastly, by both limiting Grace in most of your view, and denying the reason of man's creation and purpose you make the Gospel almost of no effect. Limiting Grace to a few, a need to change God's sovereign revealed plan and purpose of man, and permitting the destruction of all others.
The only death any man must fear now, is the second death. Unless one believes and endures to the end, there will be certain "spiritual death" for an everlasting physical eternity. That difference is all man's responsibility. It is based totally and completely upon the fact man was created to be free, a free moral agent, a human being who has a will that is independent from God's. It is his sole effort and responsibility, though he has all the help that he wishes and desires, to choose whom he will serve. There are only two choices. They are absolute.
Christ made it all possible, all Grace, nothing but from beginning to end for everyone, no exceptions.

[/quote]Only Grace ACTIVE can change that[/quote]
It has already and continues until he returns and mankind is without excuse.
I might also add that since we have recieved the fullest of His revealed will, we of any and all others will have much more to answer for at the judgement seat of Christ.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
sojourner said:
cygnus,

What you posted above along with a lot of your posting on other threads in which you and I have been engaged shows, to me, a real misunderstanding of God's great Grace that He has bestowed upon His creatures, man.

Denied

Most of what I am going to say is in reference to your position of a limited work of Christ, a minimizing of His work, inspite of what you have stated.
First, you have it correct that man was created good. He was not perfect but good. He had a will, which is evident in the choice of Adam.
Mankind fell through Adam. We became corrupted and were held in bondage to death and sin.
We still had a will, corrupted, but worse is that our natures held sway, or held us in that bondage to death and sin. We were alienated from God in that He could not have a direct communion with His creatures. However, God knew from the foundation of the world that all of this would happen. He also knew that He would send His Son into the world in the flesh. The Word became Flesh. Because He knew this God did have relationships with man before Christ actually came. He still communed with Adam, we know with Abel, with Enoch, God walked with Enoch. Noah comes to mind. All these men had faith, faith from their conscience that God existed. See Romans 1. God was revealing Himself in divers ways as Paul relates. Eventually Abraham is chosen to begin a preferred nation from which the Messiah would come. Isreal receives special blessings and communion with God through intermediarys, prophets, kings, Judges and others but the point is God has interaction with man, though particular.

If your point is that because God had mercy on men in the Old Testament therefore they must have been good ......... Denied , Grace saved them... :wave:
Eventually, in due time Christ is born. He is the Saviour of the World. He will save His people from their sins.
How right you are , His people

He will replace the archtype of the animal sacrifice. Christ came to bring the solution to the fall.
Of course
This is where you generally leave the Gospel Truth and want to limit the Grace that God poured out on this world, on mankind with Christ. But the fact is, Christ took away the bondage to all men.
Sorry , all men are not set free from bondage to sin , is it too hard for you to see it ?

God, more than anything else desires communion with man. It is the sole purpose of man's creation. A communion that is free but also no longer under bondage. The point here is that even if man was given a pure will, unemcombered with a fallen nature, that we might choose to have a relationship with Christ, but it would end at our deaths. Christ redeemed mankind, gave life to all men, removed the bondage of death, eternal death, physical and spiritual death for an eternity.

You continue to confuse things that differ , all men is Geographic , National Trible NOT each and evry ............for then it would include the Amalekites .

Having been freed, it now becomes man's responsibility to use that freedom in line with God's will which is to be IN Him.

Arminianism , and works based ............ no need for Grace.:sleep:
Belief, faith becomes for all men the condition in which any and all men can have communion with God. God redeemed mankind so He could pour out His Spirit upon all flesh. This is an external working of the Holy Spirit, now calling all men to repentance. Leading, influences, directing all men to believe. Man's will is not so corrupted that it cannot make a decision given the leading of the Spirit.
Man's will is totally devoted to his heart , and his heart is defiled .... he chooses that which he prefers ........ Darkness.

This is done through the Incarnation. Immortality of mankind makes it possible for God to have a communion with mankind in this fallen world because we will never perish eternally. NO ONE.

Hell exists.
A physical death is not what we need to fear any longer, provided we are IN Christ. But mankind does not face extinction. God did in fact redeem the entire universe, man included. Why would he actually destroy His Supreme Creatures, created in His Image. Incomprehensible.

read Genesis for your answer , The Flood , and Sodom and Gommorah are good starting places.

The verses you use above from Eph are nothing more than that man, in his preverseness and fallen nature, does not follow the Spirits leading. By whatever means that might be.

Man is worse than that , it isn't that he just doesn't follow the Spirit's leading ......... he is opposed to it!

But they do have the ability to believe.

No. ........... ability is a grant ...we are saved by Grace.... :wave:
It is all Grace that they in fact have this ability.

No , man is at war with God.

This is where I see you denying a lot of God's Grace in limiting him to the concept of predestination of particular believers and as I pointed out in another post, by not accepting the Scriptural and historical understanding of the Incarnation, actually have God destroying His own creatures.
Re-read Ephesians 1-4.

Once man does believe as He is led by the Spirit he recieves more Grace to follow through. To repent, be baptised, then follows spiritual regeneration of each believer, as well as the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. How much Grace can we wish for. We actually do very little of the work. Work which so many protestants want to deny because they confuse the two kinds of work and the two parts of salvation of man - redemption and Union. As well as making God compel, force His will, upon those free creatures who were specifically created to be free and to freely love and obey Him and follow His will.
Denied.

Lastly, by both limiting Grace in most of your view, and denying the reason of man's creation and purpose you make the Gospel almost of no effect. Limiting Grace to a few, a need to change God's sovereign revealed plan and purpose of man, and permitting the destruction of all others.

"I will have Mercy on who I will have mercy"

The only death any man must fear now, is the second death. Unless one believes and endures to the end, there will be certain "spiritual death" for an everlasting physical eternity. That difference is all man's responsibility. It is based totally and completely upon the fact man was created to be free, a free moral agent, a human being who has a will that is independent from God's. It is his sole effort and responsibility, though he has all the help that he wishes and desires, to choose whom he will serve. There are only two choices. They are absolute.
Christ made it all possible, all Grace, nothing but from beginning to end for everyone, no exceptions.
Arminian.

It has already and continues until he returns and mankind is without excuse.
I might also add that since we have recieved the fullest of His revealed will, we of any and all others will have much more to answer for at the judgement seat of Christ.
Of Course. :wave:

Upvote 0

sojourner

Aug 17, 2003
✟753.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
cygnus,

What are you denying? That you deny the Grace of God upon all men, or denying that you deny it.? The reason being, you contradict yourself as I will point out to you a couple of quotes further .

If your point is that because God had mercy on men in the Old Testament therefore they must have been good ......... Denied , Grace saved them...
Not at all. Just showing that God gave Grace to men in the OT even though Christ had not yet come. Now, that He has in fact come and can have a relationship with man the way He intended, He has shown mercy upon all his creatures. He desires that not one perish so He provided redemption for all of His creatures.
You are absolutely right that Grace saved them, but Grace saved all men from the judgement of Adam. That's what freedom in Christ means.

How right you are , His people
Yes, absolutely, His people. All people are His people. He calls all men today so that none would perish. That some ignore His call is the free choice of each individual. Each of us will be responsible for that choice. Man is not condemned by God, but by his own freedom in choosing or rejecting Him.

My Comment: He will replace the archtype of the animal sacrifice. Christ came to bring the solution to the fall. Your response: Of course{/quote] yes, but you believe that He only saved some men from the fall. He didn't even save His creation in your view. If the fall affected all men, then Christ works affected all men. Based on the wording of scripture, the meaning of the inherent inheritability of the fall, and the assumption of our natures by Christ, it cannot be but that
EVERY man be saved by His death and resurrection.

Sorry , all men are not set free from bondage to sin , is it too hard for you to see it ?
How can you tell the difference, I might add? We all sin, believer and unbeliever. So how do you know or how do you see that some have been saved from bondage and others not?
I believe it to be so, because the Bible states it that way and it has been taught, accepted, transferred with that understanding since the beginning from the Apostles. If one does not have that much faith, what is the sense in the whole thing.

You continue to confuse things that differ , all men is Geographic , National Trible NOT each and evry ............for then it would include the Amalekites .
That is the very point. You need to change the meaning otherwise your presupposition falls on its face. But the Bible is quite clear, it is in fact all men, no exception. It has nothing to do with geography. There are only two groups in the OT. Jews and Gentiles. The veil of the temple was rent breaking the curtain between the two. There is now only one people. Gentiles and Jews are one, called God's people, people Christ came to redeem so that none would be held in bondage to Adam but free to choose for themselves who they would serve. There is no text in the Bible that contradicts that premise from beginning to end.
If the Amalekites are people, then they are included.

Arminianism , and works based ............ no need for Grace.
More to the point, it has nothing to do with redemption or the salvation of mankind, or correction of the fall. Man is now able to do what Adam was doing, fulfilling his created role, prior to his sin which put all of us in the bondage of the judgement against Him. He was free to choose, Christ gave us that freedom.
You want to deny the very work that Christ did for man. Then you want to make God do what He created you to do with Him. You have everything turned around backwards.

Man's will is totally devoted to his heart , and his heart is defiled .... he chooses that which he prefers ........ Darkness.
That is correct. Each and every man chooses his relationship with His maker. He will be held accountable for that choice.

My Comment: This is done through the Incarnation. Immortality of mankind makes it possible for God to have a communion with mankind in this fallen world because we will never perish eternally. NO ONE.

Your response: Hell exists.
Yes it does indeed. But your view denies its existance for most of mankind. Only those that have been redeemed, made alive, and then rejected that great gift given to all of mankind will live eternally in hell. Explain your view where hell would even exist?

read Genesis for your answer , The Flood , and Sodom and Gommorah are good starting places.
Again, that is the whole point of universal redemption. Not a soul or I should say, a human being will be lost. All will live for an eternity. None will be exterminated, annihilated, cease to exist. All because Christ brought life to all of mankind. You are under the mistaken assumption that hell is non-existance. Hell is an eternal existance for human beings who have willfully rejected Christ or God.
Using your example, if Christ had not come, mankind, those of Sodom would all have ceased to exist at the time of their mortal deaths. Body and soul would have been eternally separated. Human beings as they were meant to be would be annihilated and God's creation and creatures bearing His Image would have been destroyed by their own creator. I still say incomprehensible, but apparently for you that is just and mercifull.

Man is worse than that , it isn't that he just doesn't follow the Spirit's leading ......... he is opposed to it!
That would be true of most of the OT and before Christ actually redeemed mankind. That is the whole purpose of the Incarnation. Redeeming our human natures so that they will be eternal and able to respond to God's call because now He has solved the problem of death and sin and man is no longer held in bondage to it. Again, you fail to properly understand what salvation actually entails for mankind, have no correlation with the fall and the purpose of man's existance.

No. ........... ability is a grant ...we are saved by Grace....
Ah, Yes, But Grace as the Gospel has proclaimed it starts long before your view even enters the picture. We are saved in order that we can be granted faith, and the ability to believe. Your view assumes Christ did nothing and because He cannot save everyone, He decrees to save some, by which His death and resurrection actually has no power because you deny the very essence of that power to overcome death and the fall.

No , man is at war with God.
I have never read that in the Bible. Satan is at war with God and His Church. Satan influences and leads men just as much as the Holy Spirit. It is man's desire, and his will that determines which influence he will permit to lead his life. God does not favor one man over another. Here is where your biggest denial exist.
You either must say that some people do not sin, have not been commited to disobedience through Adam, thus only some are in need of Christ. Or God committed all to disobedience, all men are in fact sinners and that God did so for the express purpose that He could show mercy upon all men. Christ died for the ungodly. I would presume in your theology that there may be some who are not ungodly, thus no need for Christ. He died for sinners, but some are not sinners. Your view is not consistant with many parts of scripture. You change meanings hoping that some will fall in line, but lo, there is always some other verse that sinks the supposition.

Re-read Ephesians 1-4.
My rereading it now will not change the view it has had for the last 2000 years. What makes you think that some modern view takes precedence over the original?
It aligns with Roman 8: 29-30 as well. We were chosen not to believe but as believers IN Christ to be partakers of His divine nature, II Pet 1:4, to be holy, blameless, to be Sons, heirs of the promise. But nothing, absolutely nothing that says believers are selected to be believers at some point for any reason.

Easily stated, but nothing to show just why you deny it when everything you state confirms what I stated. Your theology is not consistant to what you are saying.

"I will have Mercy on who I will have mercy"
Yes, and this is at the begining of Pauls long several chapter discourse about the Jews and Gentiles. In the end he clearly shows in many ways, that God did it all just to show His mercy upon all. That is your answer on whom He will, He will have mercy. ALL, Romans 11:32

Arminian.
If that is true, then at least Arminius had that part of the Gospel understood correctly.

My Comment: It has already and continues until he returns and mankind is without excuse.
Your response: Of Course
Again, a very easy answer. It just does not align with what you have been saying above and in your other posts. Those that were not predestined to salvation, by whatever way you think it might mean, is that God also forordained His creatures to Hell by His hand, not man's and that gives man a good excuse. That has nothing to do with your argument about God having mercy on some and not on others. It does not even measure up to God's justice let alone mercy. The fact is, when you deny the historical understanding of the Incarnation and say that only those who are redeemed are saved, you also deny hell's existance.
Maybe, even worse, I don't see how you can even know with any measure of any assurance that you are in either camp. You have no knowledge under the typical OSAS scenerio that you might not be one of those who believed for a time but then fell away, thus were never saved in the first place and thus were not the elect or chosen.

Rather than just answer my suppositions about your theology I would really like to see you develop yours to show that it is consistant with what you actually believe. Not just isolated texts, totally out of context and then no acknowledging texts to the contrary or changing their meaning.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.