How can i help my girlfriend see my views of God?

JRO116

Aug 7, 2012
✟8,438.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im a Christian, my girlfriend is a Catholic, but shes just a sunday church goer. she doesnt know what she goes to church for, she claims to just go to church because its a time she spends with family and its a good time to pray. and when she does go, she says she never gets the message, and always falls asleep. i value church alot more and value the bible alot, while she says she does, she does not and doesnt get it

We have been having arguments lately because im trying to tell her that knowing the bible is more important than going to church, especially if you dont even know why you go to church. During our arguments, i always feel like saying FORGET IT! i cant be with you if you dont share my views. but then i catch myself and think maybe the reason why im with her is God using me to show her the importance. and i hang on to that and thats what drives me to be with her. But its such a struggle. She always says she doesnt have time to read the bible or says eventually she will.

I used to attend catholic mass, but with no bash whatsoever on catholics, i did not get much out of it. I didnt find this importrance of God and the Bible untill i started attending non denomination churches that preached the bible. My life has changed since then. but she says she cant make her family go to anything other than catholic, therefore, her views will stay the same.

is there anyone with similar stories, or ways that i can help reach her see my views? shes great all around, shes not an atheist, she acknowledes God, but just doesnt have him as number 1. help please! thank you in advance !

madetoworship

Who we were meant to be
Nov 19, 2006
California, United States
✟16,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It starts with a mutual understanding of sin. Tell her about your testimony of how God restored your heart of sin. The importance of the Bible and growing in our faith of God comes after we realize sin and how much we need God in our lives.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What I do with a person who possible has an unregenerated heart is...

Ephesians 5:26 KJV
King James Version
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Now I'm not Catholic but to understand their Mass you need to study the meaning in their Liturgy. There is a lot to it but you're missing it thinking that what they are doing is just ritualistic.

God's Word tells us...

<H3>2 Corinthians 6:14

New International Version (NIV)

Warning Against Idolatry

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

So just a thought The Lord might of brought your GF into your life to witness to her but He might not of brought her into your life as a GF. At least not yet.

</H3>

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If your girlfriend is Roman Catholic, then she already is a Christian.

You also can't force her to do or believe anything.

I recommend learning about Catholicism yourself, and finding ways to connect together as fellow Christians, even if you two are part of two different traditions in the Christian faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
A

Ace68

I've got to agree with what Viacrucis said. You're both Christians, so there's bound to be common ground you can talk about. Don't take it on yourself to change her - leave that to God. We're all at different stages of our walk, so just accept and appreciate the early stage she seems to be at.

You're never likely to find someone who shares your views 100%, so don't get all hung up on getting her to see things the way you do. She shouldn't be a 'project'. Just share with her what you're getting out of the bible, and what God's doing in your life. As has been mentioned, learning about the Catholic Church would be a good idea. What you have in common's more important than your differences. So just embrace her for who she is and ask for God's guidance on you both. I hope things work out for you brother, I'll pray for your situation.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear JRO. Jesus told us in Matthew: 22: 35-40: " the first and great Commandment is: Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all
our minds. The second is like it: Love our neighbour as ourselves." Then Jesus points out the importance of this statement: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants our Love,
freely given and no conditions tagged on. The best way to help your girlfriend
see your view of God is: following God`s Commandments, as God wants us to.
Treat all you know and all you meet, friends as well as no friends, treat them as you would love to be treated: with kindness and always friendly words and helping hands, if needed. Let your girlfriend notice herself how very much you love God, and want to do God`s Will. God will notice your loving efforts, and God will Bless you, and your girlfriend will notice the Love you have for God, and also how God Blesses you.
Keep asking Jesus for his Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit to empower you with His Love, and then keep loving and caring all around you. Love is very catching, and who knows? your girlfriend might well join you in Loving God, and loving your neighbour. I say this with love, JRO. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ: P.S. All you say or do, all you advise or stand for, should be from Love for God and for our neifgbour.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Im a Christian, my girlfriend is a Catholic, but shes just a sunday church goer. she doesnt know what she goes to church for, she claims to just go to church because its a time she spends with family and its a good time to pray. and when she does go, she says she never gets the message, and always falls asleep. i value church alot more and value the bible alot, while she says she does, she does not and doesnt get it

We have been having arguments lately because im trying to tell her that knowing the bible is more important than going to church, especially if you dont even know why you go to church. During our arguments, i always feel like saying FORGET IT! i cant be with you if you dont share my views. but then i catch myself and think maybe the reason why im with her is God using me to show her the importance. and i hang on to that and thats what drives me to be with her. But its such a struggle. She always says she doesnt have time to read the bible or says eventually she will.

I used to attend catholic mass, but with no bash whatsoever on catholics, i did not get much out of it. I didnt find this importrance of God and the Bible untill i started attending non denomination churches that preached the bible. My life has changed since then. but she says she cant make her family go to anything other than catholic, therefore, her views will stay the same.

is there anyone with similar stories, or ways that i can help reach her see my views? shes great all around, shes not an atheist, she acknowledes God, but just doesnt have him as number 1. help please! thank you in advance !

I'm going to say that you need to put your relationship with Jesus on the forefront of your relationship with this women. Jesus comes first. Get honest with yourself and God and ask for guidance. The most important aspect of a Christian relationship is not denomination, but salvation. If your girlfriend is a hindrance to your walk, or has not accepted Jesus Christ as Lord, break up, and find some on who loves Jesus. Do not mary a women who has no interest in Jesus if you want to have a Godly wife who wants to be involved in the things of Christ. How dose she affect you realationship with Jesus? Positive, or negative?

2Co 6:13-18 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged. Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Upvote 0

christcentred

Feb 18, 2013
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Visit site
✟15,142.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The best thing my wife and I did was read the Bible together. Pick a book like Ephesians, which talks about the importance of both church and personal saving faith and just discuss what you read.

Once people start reading the Bible, they will very rarely reject it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JRO116

Aug 7, 2012
✟8,438.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks everyone so much for your advice. the responses in this thread have truly changed the way I am looking at this. I would respond individually with your guys posts, but since im a newb, i dont know how..

I was not saying that any denomination is better than another at all, I was just saying that thats the path that lead me to have a deeper realtionship with God and wanted to see if it would for her too.

My girlfriend is great and does not hinder my personal relationship with God in anyway. She herself just doesnt put her relationship with God first like how i do. But like i said, the responses in this thread have made me realize i cant be the one to do that for her, God is going to have to do that. once again thanks everyone who responded, and in advance!

Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I am sorry to say that nobody really can help her see the truth but God Himself. It is in the bible that people cannot know if they are going to save their husbands or wives. The bible also says that no one can receive anything but only if it is given to them from heaven. My story is similar to yours but mine involves family members. Only God can save. We can force them to do things that their nature do not like - but that's about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums