How are you spending your ____ according to the will of Christ?

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Money? Time? Talents? Possessions?
This week, my pastor talked about submitting to the will of Christ. I'd like to go a little deeper into the details and get your ideas on how Christians should be spending these four things, according to the will of Christ.

Money - I probably save more than I should, when I could be spending it to help other people. Also, I probably don't give as much as I should - I generally give 10% of my gross income each week at church, but when I miss a week (or two), I don't feel like God would charge me "back rent", so I just try to start fresh the following week.

Time - I work hard and spend time with family, but sometimes I spend too much time on the computer playing the Sims or searching the internet, or even here on this site. I should be spending more time talking with my friends and neighbors.

Talents - I play music at the church on Sundays, and I teach at the school. Sometime I feel like I'm wasting certain talents when I don't use them - like, I haven't been kayaking in years, when it could be a chance to fellowship with others and use the talents that God gave me.

Possessions - I always feel like I should be lending things out more freely. Also, I wish that I made better use of my home. The Bible tells us to "practice hospitality", and I haven't had anyone over besides my parents in the last two months. I feel like God would want me to invite more people over, and to share my belongings with others.

Reactions: BFine

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Money - I probably save more than I should, when I could be spending it to help other people. Also, I probably don't give as much as I should - I generally give 10% of my gross income each week at church, but when I miss a week (or two), I don't feel like God would charge me "back rent", so I just try to start fresh the following week.

Well, God doesn't need our money. He owns everything. I don't think, then, that God gets up-in-arms about you missing on tithing. He knows, though, that we benefit by being generous people. And He has so ordained things such that He uses us as a conduit of His supply to the local church to which we belong, to missions, and to the poor. It is important, then, to give liberally, to be a "cheerful giver."

We don't take a cent with us when we die; it all "goes back into the box" when we pass on. So it is that we read in Scripture:

Matthew 6:19-21
19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;
20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Colossians 3:2
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Matthew 6:31-33
31 Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'
32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

1 Timothy 6:6-9
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.

Time - I work hard and spend time with family, but sometimes I spend too much time on the computer playing the Sims or searching the internet, or even here on this site. I should be spending more time talking with my friends and neighbors.

Amen. My mother used to tell me, "There are only two things on earth that last into eternity: God's Word and people." And then she'd quote this little saying:

"Only one life;'twill soon be past.
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Words of wisdom, I think.

Talents - I play music at the church on Sundays, and I teach at the school. Sometime I feel like I'm wasting certain talents when I don't use them - like, I haven't been kayaking in years, when it could be a chance to fellowship with others and use the talents that God gave me.

Yup. I taught Aikido, a japanese martial art, for over twenty years and used my role as teacher as a platform to share the Gospel with my students. A number of them got saved. Grow where you're planted. Use the talents and abilities you possess to honor God.

Possessions - I always feel like I should be lending things out more freely. Also, I wish that I made better use of my home. The Bible tells us to "practice hospitality", and I haven't had anyone over besides my parents in the last two months. I feel like God would want me to invite more people over, and to share my belongings with others.

If you feel God pressing you to open up your home, don't resist Him. Getting into the habit of ignoring God is a sure-fire way to empty the joy out of walking with Him. I have to remind myself often: My stuff is not really my stuff. If Jesus is the Lord of my life, it's all his stuff.

You know, its easy to do the right thing for the wrong reason. Many Christians do what is right out of fear, or guilt, or even self-righteous pride. But God doesn't accept good deeds done from such motives. Paul the apostle wrote that even if we are martyred but give our lives apart from the motive of love, it is a useless sacrifice! (see 1Cor. 13:1-3) The "first and great commandment" (Matt. 22: 37, 38) is to love God with all our being and out of loving Him flows all our other acts of obedience. Really, no other motive for our obedience will do as far as God is concerned. So, be careful about why you're wanting to make better use of your "treasure" (your time, money, talents, and possessions).

Keep on keeping on, brother!

Selah.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Lukamu. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy
heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40: we are told: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. Easy to remember and straightforward. In Mathew 7: 7-10: we are told: " Ask and you shall receive," here we ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour. We keep asking and receiving, thanking God and sharing all love and joy with our neighbour. (neighbour are all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends) Easy to remember and straight forward.
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," we change from being selfish and unloving, to be loving, caring and always friendly. God sees our loving efforts, and God will bless us. Easy to remember and straightforward. We might stumble and forget, then ask God to forgive us, and carry on being loving and caring. The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. We will find that people will treat us the same as we treat people, Love is very catching. Let us try and become sign-posts to God our Heavenly Father, and let our love change an imperfect world. A Christian`s weapon is Love, we ask for Love then thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour, easy to remember and straightforward. I say this with love, Lukamu.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Reactions: BFine
Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Money? Time? Talents? Possessions?
This week, my pastor talked about submitting to the will of Christ. I'd like to go a little deeper into the details and get your ideas on how Christians should be spending these four things, according to the will of Christ.

*I gleaned this info from a couple of years ago...online
Barna.org (it's on tithing.)

Tithing Rates
Tithing remained stable in 2012, though at the lower end of the typical range. The research shows that 5% of adults qualify as having tithed—giving 10% or more of their annual income to a church or non-profit organizations. In 2009, before the financial crisis, tithing was 7%, then dipped to 4% in 2010 and 2011. (Note: Barna calculates this “tithing” rate based on total giving divided by household income, not by asking survey respondents to estimate percentages.) Among born again Christians, which includes both evangelicals and non-evangelicals, 12% tithed in 2012, which is on par with the average for the past decade.

*My church is in the process of expanding...they have

plans in place to add-on to the building... but the majority of folks who were all in favor of the expansion don't seem to be donating the money, as
of this date no work will commence until the 2016.
Originally, breaking ground was to begin "now"....
that's not happening.

*Sharing possessions...this is a good thing for the most part...my problem is that "others" feel they
have to give something back if I give them something...I don't need more stuff, I'm trying to
thin out what I do have...for some reason they don't seem to "get it" and I end up with "more stuff" LOL!

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we truly want to follow JESUS CHRIST and offer ourselves in true faith we must sacrifice that which is of this world. Our riches are not to be pooled, and they are not to be considered riches...we must learn to let go of that which binds us and possibly corrupts us.

1 Peter 1:13-20King James Version (KJV)
13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Living as vessels of righteousness and not adhering to any other principles outside the TRUTH; which is JESUS CHRIST. Flee from all that which is immoral and that which adheres itself to idolatry. For we as true believers must have righteousnes that far exceeds that of the pharisees and maintain a vigilant stance against the wiles of the enemy; outfitting ourselves with the full armor of GOD.

Money, time, talents and possessions....

Matthew 6:24King James Version (KJV)
24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and (money)mammon.

Colossians 3:15-20King James Version (KJV)
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Luke 12:33King James Version (KJV)
33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the responses so far!
You know, its easy to do the right thing for the wrong reason. Many Christians do what is right out of fear, or guilt, or even self-righteous pride. But God doesn't accept good deeds done from such motives. Paul the apostle wrote that even if we are martyred but give our lives apart from the motive of love, it is a useless sacrifice! (see 1Cor. 13:1-3) The "first and great commandment" (Matt. 22: 37, 38) is to love God with all our being and out of loving Him flows all our other acts of obedience. Really, no other motive for our obedience will do as far as God is concerned. So, be careful about why you're wanting to make better use of your "treasure" (your time, money, talents, and possessions).
This is a great reminder. Sometimes we get into such a habit of following God that we stop thinking about this kind of issue - and then some ungodly motive slips in unnoticed! But obidence to God's word should definitely be first and foremost a labor of LOVE, not just obligation.
If we truly want to follow JESUS CHRIST and offer ourselves in true faith we must sacrifice that which is of this world. Our riches are not to be pooled, and they are not to be considered riches...we must learn to let go of that which binds us and possibly corrupts us.
So, are you saying that we shouldn't put money in the bank?
*Sharing possessions...this is a good thing for the most part...my problem is that "others" feel they
have to give something back if I give them something...I don't need more stuff, I'm trying to
thin out what I do have...for some reason they don't seem to "get it" and I end up with "more stuff" LOL!
More stuff could be a blessing! I know what you mean though, sometimes people feel obligated to "return the favor" so that you're both even, when really you're just trying to do something nice and expect nothing in return.Still, that shouldn't discourage us from trying to share with others!

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should just live your life in a way you are comfortable with and trust the Holy Spirit to help you from day to day. You are worrying too much about trivial things. If you're going to be burdened with 'should I do this, or should I do that' then you may as well be under the Law. Stop condemning yourself by thinking you can do more and trust in the Lord and let Him direct your path.

Alan

Upvote 0

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should just live your life in a way you are comfortable with and trust the Holy Spirit to help you from day to day. You are worrying too much about trivial things. If you're going to be burdened with 'should I do this, or should I do that' then you may as well be under the Law. Stop condemning yourself by thinking you can do more and trust in the Lord and let Him direct your path.

Alan
True, but this thread is about how you are spending these things, not how you should be spending them. So, how are you spending your money, time, talents, etc.?

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
True, but this thread is about how you are spending these things, not how you should be spending them. So, how are you spending your money, time, talents, etc.?

HA IR.

You should assume that my previous post would be a reflection of how I do these things.

Alan

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith in Jesus Christ is so very much future-focused as new brothers and sisters of Christ inside the most advanced and construction-safe kingdom of God for our free-for-all home accommodation on a new paradise Earth, especially together with an abundance of healthy foods and fresh clean water - our present man-made material possessions such as that decent house and car, or stylish clothing and home appliances such as that home theater system - naturally give us pride and status as personal reward for personal effort, and yet trusting each other as a multicultural global community can be ironically, very hypocritical, when it comes to home and car security where locked doors are necessary to avoid thieving individuals who are not at all Christian, or treated unfairly if you an illegal immigrant entering a country that has government immigration rules and regulations:.

The Word of God prevented Hitler in turning Germany into a "super race" with devastating unseen future circumstances if they were the only German race on Earth, where genetic inheritance mutation problems would complicate sky-rocketing medical expenditure to avoid German from becoming a nation full of people on disability, creating economic chaos and an early exit to the end of the human race full of closely-related families, relatives and friends.;'*';.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums