My sister didn't tell me our brother was having an operation..she knows I'm a big one on prayer

Hannah66

Oct 6, 2006
✟41,661.00
Faith
Baptist
My late mother was a prayer warrior.She prayed for everyone and everything.
Now she has passed away, 7 years ago, I've tried to become a prayer warrior. My ollder sister knows that and she came to me
towards the end of last year when her grandson was very ill to ask for prayers.

Just after Christmas, I received a text message on my phone from one of my brothers, who lives in another state.
He thanked me for praying for his surgery and sent me a photo of himself in hospital. I was quite shocked as I never knew he was having any surgery.
I am friends with his wife on FB but she never discloses anything to me; infact she doesn't communicate with me at all.

I text my brother to find out what happened and told him I had no idea. He told me he had fallen from his mountain bike in October 2022
and required surgery on his shoulder. I didn't even know about the fall.
I have five brothers and they are not always great at communication but I know my sister is.

My sister and i email each other every 2nd day and sometimes text message.

So, I sent a text message to my sister telling her about my brother's op and she told me she already knew.
But she didn't tell me.

We spoke on the phone a few days ago - she rang me - she doesn't always call, maybe once every 6 months or so.
She told me that it wasn't important that I know about his surgery because he had told her and he hadn't told me. She siad it is up to him to tell you
whether he is having surgery.
Well, he did tell, hours after it was all over!!!

My sister said - he told her at Christmas in an email.
I had sent my brother a Christmas card but hadn't heard from him or his family.
Maybe he did send me an email and it got lost - sometimes they might not come through if my inbox is full, so that could be my error!!

I am in close communication with other brothers who live overseas. One brother had major heart surgery last year and I let my sister know as I had asked her to pray for him. Another brother too, is unwell and I've shared that with her asking her to pray

My sister knows I love to pray for others but just feels as though she doesn't need to tell me when others need prayer
like my brother having surgery.

My sister is a christian and she knows I love to spend time in praying for others.

I feel hurt, but I know if i share it with her, she will reply
'oh, you're overthinking this
or 'you are too sensitive

or 'it's not that important'

I live alone. I have time to pray. God wakes me up in the early mornings to pray for others, pray for salvation of people
pray for those suffering around the world..ie recent Earthquake in Turkey

But is my sister right - should she not share with me and i should wait for my brother(s) to ask for prayer.

i thought this is what family does...pray for one another..
The days are short.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Love and prayers for you right this second! Every day things like this happen in families everywhere! It doesn't matter if your sister is right or wrong. God is RIGHT and He's available every second. He's available when we feel like crying. He's available when we're really aggravated. He's available when we think (or know) family members are doing the wrong thing. Or when a friend(?) says "I'll pray for you" and then tells everyone she knows what your problem is! I'm in my mid seventies. I came from a hateful family who weren't/aren't Christians. Some are less hateful than others. I can't change other people. I thought my sweetness towards my father would cause him to love me more. It didn't. He had a rough life. I'm learning to accept my life and find the blessings.

When a relative took me to court, I was very depressed. I read the Psalms over and over again. Remember "Jesus wept." Get a pad of paper and write down ways you can bless others. Concentrate on making others feel good. Every time you comfort or compliment someone else, you'll feel better!

"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow-creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

God bless you.

• Love
Reactions: Hannah66
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

Well me not having any brothers or sisters, can not actually give a thought on that.

But as for prayer, if you want to pray for your family each day whether they are healthy or not, would not be a bad idea. As the world and the people of the world are in constant need of prayer and i would think direct family members (mother, father, brother, sisters, children) would be the first priority.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It interests me that your brother didn't tell you but it's your sister you are upset with. You might examine that.

It sounds to me like your sister was respecting your brother's right to privacy by allowing him to decide to whom he tells personal information. That is how it would work amongst me and my siblings.

Upvote 0

Hannah66

Oct 6, 2006
✟41,661.00
Faith
Baptist
My brother told me after he had the surgery and he thanked me for his prayers. But how did he know I was going to pray. He most likely assumed that my sister would have told me.. I live on my own and I have no family and it's important for me 2 keep in touch with those especially if they are having surgery

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
-​

Well me not having any brothers or sisters, can not actually give a thought on that.

But as for prayer, if you want to pray for your family each day whether they are healthy or not, would not be a bad idea. As the world and the people of the world are in constant need of prayer and i would think direct family members (mother, father, brother, sisters, children) would be the first priority.
It's still painful to not be informed.

Upvote 0