Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ever since I was a little child, I always felt sad and attached to objects that I've had for a long time and it was time to
either throw it out, change it, or replace it.

Even now in my 40s, I still struggle with it. It literally makes me cry sometimes and breaks my heart like I lost a living person.

For example, I am moving to a new place soon and I've had some of my old appliances like microwave, kettle, toaster, rice cooker
for over a decade. I used it nearly everyday, and we've been together through a lot. They still work and so instead of throwing
it away, I am selling them as used goods for cheap so someone else can continue using it, but I feel sad letting them go because
they were like "loyal" to me and they are my troopers, soldiers, who worked their asses off for me everyday making my food and
giving me warm meals etc. Now I have them all lined up ready to sell them and I feel like I am abandoning them or letting them
go after all the good work they've done for me.

If I could, I would literally want to keep all my old things and put them in my own hall of fame room behind a protector glass case
and honor them all and remember them marking the years I had them, the years of service they gave me, etc.

Sadly, I do not have that kind of money or house large enough to keep all my stuff.

Most people I know seem to have no problem just throwing away stuff without a second thought! It's amazing how they do it.
For me, I am so attached to things that have served me so well for years that I it breaks me up inside everytime I have to throw
them away or sell them.

Other memorable things: bags, shoes, desks, chairs, electronic devices like computers, stereos, walkmans, phones, flashlights etc.

Just writing this out right now is making my eyes tear up cuz I still miss my old troopers I threw away long ago. I did take photos
of them to remember them so at least that way I have not completely forgotten them.

I don't know how this is related to Christian living but I think it is somehow connected. Something deep in my being has always been
this way. I miss my old dolls too.....I get so mad at my parents whenever they threw things out that I wanted to keep and they don't
realize how much it hurt me each time they did it....as if they were destroying my friends, my lifelines, my identity and source of comfort
and joy. Odd...

*note* I do realize the correct answer will be: "Well, your identity, source of joy and happiness, comfort should be in Jesus Christ alone!"
but somehow that answer never seems to be enough. I still miss and long to keep my things because they were loyal and good to me
and I want to honor or bless them somehow but they aren't alive (I know) but it feels like they are alive.

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I remember I was like that when I got new furniture for Christmas a few years ago.
‘What was wrong w/ the old furniture? I remember first sleeping on that couch. I remember when it was in the basement at my parents house in the living room, then when it was in the basement, then when it was moved to the backroom in the basement. I remember throwing up on it. It became my couch when I moved out. I remember taking it to college. Then my new house. It still works. I don't want new furniture b/c my current furniture works fine.”
That’s an example.
The sadness didn’t last long, it’s gone in a couple days.

I think it might be more common than what you think. People can be reluctant to throw things away. A lot of people’s houses are full of junk but if you say they should throw something away, they’ll say they need it.

I'm a mix. I'm reluctant to get rid of things, but at the same time, I'm not a hoarder & get rid of something when I think I'm done with it. It's easy to get rid of things you haven't had as long. So when I buy books or movies, I get rid of them soon after I'm done with them. But I keep all my old books & movies. That's an example

Reactions: seeker2122
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ever since I was a little child, I always felt sad and attached to objects that I've had for a long time and it was time to

Even now in my 40s, I still struggle with it. It literally makes me cry sometimes and breaks my heart like I lost a living person.

For example, I am moving to a new place soon and I've had some of my old appliances like microwave, kettle, toaster, rice cooker
for over a decade. I used it nearly everyday, and we've been together through a lot. They still work and so instead of throwing
it away, I am selling them as used goods for cheap so someone else can continue using it, but I feel sad letting them go because
they were like "loyal" to me and they are my troopers, soldiers, who worked their asses off for me everyday making my food and
giving me warm meals etc. Now I have them all lined up ready to sell them and I feel like I am abandoning them or letting them

If I could, I would literally want to keep all my old things and put them in my own hall of fame room behind a protector glass case
and honor them all and remember them marking the years I had them, the years of service they gave me, etc.

Sadly, I do not have that kind of money or house large enough to keep all my stuff.

Most people I know seem to have no problem just throwing away stuff without a second thought! It's amazing how they do it.
For me, I am so attached to things that have served me so well for years that I it breaks me up inside everytime I have to throw
them away or sell them.

Other memorable things: bags, shoes, desks, chairs, electronic devices like computers, stereos, walkmans, phones, flashlights etc.

Just writing this out right now is making my eyes tear up cuz I still miss my old troopers I threw away long ago. I did take photos
of them to remember them so at least that way I have not completely forgotten them.

I don't know how this is related to Christian living but I think it is somehow connected. Something deep in my being has always been
this way. I miss my old dolls too.....I get so mad at my parents whenever they threw things out that I wanted to keep and they don't
realize how much it hurt me each time they did it....as if they were destroying my friends, my lifelines, my identity and source of comfort
and joy. Odd...

*note* I do realize the correct answer will be: "Well, your identity, source of joy and happiness, comfort should be in Jesus Christ alone!"
but somehow that answer never seems to be enough. I still miss and long to keep my things because they were loyal and good to me
and I want to honor or bless them somehow but they aren't alive (I know) but it feels like they are alive.
They are just things .... nothing wrong with keeping a few momentos ..... the rest are just things.

Keep your very favorites and give the rest away(thrift stores , charity or post for free on facebook) so someone else might enjoy them. ;o)

It's a blessing to give things away ;o)

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate

them away or sell them.

and joy. Odd...

I think this is a very neat story,
Do you write, by any chance? This would make a wonderful children's book. You could give all of them personalities, and have the plot for them to find a way to come back. In the end they really DO find their way back and do wind up on the shelf.
Please think about it .

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican

them away or sell them.

and joy. Odd...

Not many Christians will agree with me but i take the verse "whatever you bind on Earth with be bound in Heaven" literally. When i got in a car accident in my toyota Camry i had for years that was my favorite car i felt like i could see it be happy that it saved me from injury, like it was smiling i was ok and didn't care that it was totaled. I asked Jesus for it to be bound in Heaven and saw it go up into Heaven, the spirit of it that is or the personality you might say. it was only an empty shell after that and i believe Jesus can use things for our good and when i get to Heaven my car will be there to take me around Heaven, like the good car it always is.

Now the first thing i want to mention is a lot of people will disagree and say "we can't take anything with us" i'll be honest and tell you i don't know if what i experienced was true or not but i hope it was. if not im sorry to mislead i don't ever want to say something that's not true. i just believe that we can have the spirit of what we had on Earth in Heaven if we ask and Jesus says yes. but if i am wrong forgive me Jesus for saying something wrong

Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not many Christians will agree with me but i take the verse "whatever you bind on Earth with be bound in Heaven" literally. When i got in a car accident in my toyota Camry i had for years that was my favorite car i felt like i could see it be happy that it saved me from injury, like it was smiling i was ok and didn't care that it was totaled. I asked Jesus for it to be bound in Heaven and saw it go up into Heaven, the spirit of it that is or the personality you might say. it was only an empty shell after that and i believe Jesus can use things for our good and when i get to Heaven my car will be there to take me around Heaven, like the good car it always is.

Now the first thing i want to mention is a lot of people will disagree and say "we can't take anything with us" i'll be honest and tell you i don't know if what i experienced was true or not but i hope it was. if not im sorry to mislead i don't ever want to say something that's not true. i just believe that we can have the spirit of what we had on Earth in Heaven if we ask and Jesus says yes. but if i am wrong forgive me Jesus for saying something wrong

I believe that too in some ways. I believe the spirit of our dogs or cats etc will also go to heaven and we will one day see them again. My rabbits passed away years ago but I still miss them. I believe one day I'll see them again too.

Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you write, by any chance? This would make a wonderful children's book. You could give all of them personalities, and have the plot for them to find a way to come back. In the end they really DO find their way back and do wind up on the shelf.
Please think about it .

I serve children's ministry for a long time...I also found at a young age I play with them really well....they always seem to follow me around wherever I go. Something about me or my personality seems to match well with children and the way they think.

• Love
Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

them away or sell them.

and joy. Odd...

We have to remember that God loves us based on His word. In Christ, righteousness has been imputed unto us and nothing can change that - because Christ died on the cross and said “it is finished.”

We are children of God and have received the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead - the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God’s seed, which Has born us into the family of God. And because of this, we cannot sin, 1 John 3:9.

Christ died for sinners. There is no way we are perfect. Our old man has been crucified on the cross with Christ, but we still contend with our emotions, struggles, frustrations, learned behaviors, bad behaviors, etc., which we are told to put off. Put off the old man, and put on the new man, Ephesians 4:22-24.

Understanding you have a connection to objects is just your personality, a learned behavior, which is causing you pain. Good you are speaking about it because you are working towards putting the old man off, which is what your loving father wants to help you do.

So don’t worry because you are doing the right thing. Ask Jesus to take away from you this connection to objects and heal you. He will do it. Ask him to help you understand your emotions around this issue and where did it come from. Work on it. Does it come from feeling that if your items are thrown away, you feel you are thrown away and doesn’t matter? Get to know the issue and continue to pray to have it removed. Then one day soon you will look around at it will be gone. This is what God wants us to do. Not worry about our ways, but know He loves us. Confess it and he will do the healing.

Terri suggested a children’s book on this issue. I think that’s a wonderful idea. I can see a little child learning from your story.

God bless you!

Upvote 0

msufan

Jul 12, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Please think about it .
OP should read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I began to cry after reading this.
I'm in my 70s and struggle with much of what you struggle with.
In heaven we'll have Jesus and have no need or desire for the awful burden of things.
God bless you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums