Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
House votes in favor of illegal immigrant voting
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Friday, March 8, 2019
House Democrats voted Friday to defend localities that allow illegal immigrants to vote in their elections, turning back a GOP attempt to discourage the practice.

The vote marks a stunning reversal from just six months ago, when the chamber — then under GOP control — voted to decry illegal immigrant voting.

“We are prepared to open up the political process and let all of the people come in,” Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia Democrat and hero of the civil rights movement, told colleagues as he led opposition to the GOP measure.

House votes in favor of illegal immigrant voting - Washington Times

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Looking at the bigger picture, if non-citizens were allowed to vote in elections around the world it would destroy the sovereignty of individual nations which would give rise to a one world government. And an evil dictator could take control of that government. So it's a very dangerous and foolish move.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

It already is illegal for non-citizens to vote in federal elections, but not other elections, necessarily. The question is how do we enforce that in a way that is fair and does not unduely target minority groups.

I don't see the problem with a state permitting uncodumented immigrants and non-citizen residents voting in select cases, such as for a school board. It is a local or regional response to local needs. I thought Republicans believed in states rights?

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wait until the tides turn and the majority of illegal immigrants are Russians.
The Russians are the only ones Dem leaders don't want influencing U.S. elections.

All other non-citizens are okay with them.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It already is illegal for non-citizens to vote in federal elections, but not other elections, necessarily. The question is how do we enforce that in a way that is fair and does not unduely target minority groups.

I don't see the problem with a state permitting uncodumented immigrants and non-citizen residents voting in select cases, such as for a school board. It is a local or regional response to local needs. I thought Republicans believed in states rights?

I'm sure they could put only local candidates at the top of the ballot and then Federal candidates at the bottom with a note:

NOTICE: If you are an illegal immigrant do not check any box below this line. <wink,wink>

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sure they could put only local candidates at the top of the ballot and then Federal candidates at the bottom with a note:

NOTICE: If you are an illegal immigrant do not check any box below this line. <wink,wink>

Why would an illegal alien vote, knowing that brings potential scrutiny from authorities? I think the illegal alien stands more to lose by voting, so I don't think this is a serious hazard.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I do not want somebody who thumbs his/her nose at our laws and is in the country illegally voting for anything involving citizens including who will be on a school board. What possible rationale can there be for encouraging such people to vote other than to dilute the individual rights and power of U.S. citizens?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why would an illegal alien vote, knowing that brings potential scrutiny from authorities? I think the illegal alien stands more to lose by voting, so I don't think this is a serious hazard.

That begs the question, what is this all about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That begs the question, what is this all about?

Protecting minorities from harassment from law enforcement. I think that's good enough reason to make it clear that we aren't going to be targeting every person of Hispanic descent as a potential criminal.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Protecting minorities from harassment from law enforcement. I think that's good enough reason to make it clear that we aren't going to be targeting every person of Hispanic descent as a potential criminal.

Well on the one hand somebody, somewhere is supporting the idea of illegal aliens voting. But then you say that no illegal aliens would bother to register to vote. If they don't register to vote, how are they going to be allowed to vote in order for whoever it is to support the idea of them voting?

This is getting circular.

And by the way, not every illegal alien is Mexican. You might want to think over your own biases.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Well on the one hand somebody, somewhere is supporting the idea of illegal aliens voting. But then you say that no illegal aliens would bother to register to vote. If they don't register to vote, how are they going to be allowed to vote in order for whoever it is to support the idea of them voting?

This is getting circular.

And by the way, not every illegal alien is Mexican. You might want to think over your own biases.

In the public debate, that is the main focus of outrage. Norwegians that overstay their visas aren't triggering people because they don't come from "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]hole" countries.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In the public debate, that is the main focus of outrage. Norwegians that overstay their visas aren't triggering people because they don't come from "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]hole" countries.

Actually the main focus of the debate is currently that countless thousands of people from Central America are heading in this direction full well intending to violate our laws. And they are being aided by foreign governments. You are correct that there are illegal aliens here that arrived through some other means, but their status is just the same as any other person here illegally.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually the main focus of the debate is currently that countless thousands of people from Central America are heading in this direction full well intending to violate our laws. And they are being aided by foreign governments. You are correct that there are illegal aliens here that arrived through some other means, but their status is just the same as any other person here illegally.

Why worry about the brown horde and not the norwegian horde?

• Haha
Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why worry about the brown horde and not the norwegian horde?

Is the Norwegian Horde massing on the border right now? Is the Norwegian government assisting them in entering the country illegally?

But then in tipping our hats to the few, how many Norwegian gang members murdered anyone in the US last year? I honestly don't know.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Is the Norwegian Horde massing on the border right now? Is the Norwegian government assisting them in entering the country illegally?

But then in tipping our hats to the few, how many Norwegian gang members murdered anyone in the US last year? I honestly don't know.

I do not believe people from central America are inherently evil anymore than any other part of the world.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
House Democrats voted Friday to defend localities that allow illegal immigrants to vote in their elections, turning back a GOP attempt to discourage the practice.
It looks like it may just be that a resolution to add wording against illegal immigrants voting was defeated. According to the NY Times: "Democrats also successfully put down an attempt by Republicans to divide the caucus and tar the legislation with a resolution expressing the sense that 'allowing illegal immigrants the right to vote devalues the franchise and diminishes the voting power of United States citizens.' " (House Passes Democrats’ Centerpiece Anti-Corruption and Voting Rights Bill)

Did you see any wording in the bill that specifically gave non-citizens the right to vote?

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Not shocking that this is being overblown by conservative media. The Dems shot down this statement being added to the bill that otherwise passed:
“allowing illegal immigrants the right to vote devalues the franchise and diminishes the voting power of United States citizens.”
House Dems overwhelmingly reject motion to condemn illegal immigrant voting

In the other hand, Republicans voted against the rest of the bill that would have limited special interest money in elections and created more transparency in elections.
House passes sweeping electoral reform bill

Upvote 0