Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It looks like it may just be that a resolution to add wording against illegal immigrants voting was defeated. According to the NY Times: "Democrats also successfully put down an attempt by Republicans to divide the caucus and tar the legislation with a resolution expressing the sense that 'allowing illegal immigrants the right to vote devalues the franchise and diminishes the voting power of United States citizens.' " (House Passes Democrats’ Centerpiece Anti-Corruption and Voting Rights Bill)

Did you see any wording in the bill that specifically gave non-citizens the right to vote?

That's what I suspected, Republicans were posturing rather than dealing with matters of substance.

Upvote 0

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That begs the question, what is this all about?
It's about creating a unbeatable majority. They want illegals to vote Democrat in order to rig the election against conservatives. Its why the Left in DC is opposed to a wall. They care more about the security of their party than the security of the nation. They don't care about the illegals beyond getting their vote.

The mask is off and they are no longer even pretending to uphold the Constitution and for that reason, they should be removed from office and replaced for failing to keep their oath to protect the Constitution.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

HoneyBee

Prodigal Daughter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2017
West Coast
✟198,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
House votes in favor of illegal immigrant voting
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Friday, March 8, 2019
House Democrats voted Friday to defend localities that allow illegal immigrants to vote in their elections, turning back a GOP attempt to discourage the practice.

The vote marks a stunning reversal from just six months ago, when the chamber — then under GOP control — voted to decry illegal immigrant voting.

“We are prepared to open up the political process and let all of the people come in,” Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia Democrat and hero of the civil rights movement, told colleagues as he led opposition to the GOP measure.

House votes in favor of illegal immigrant voting - Washington Times
Well THIS seems pretty stupid. I mean, I'm all for immigrants coming to the United States (legally, mind you), but to let those who aren't even registered citizens vote??? What kind of dummy do you have to be to want for that to happen?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well THIS seems pretty stupid. I mean, I'm all for immigrants coming to the United States (legally, mind you), but to let those who aren't even registered citizens vote??? What kind of dummy do you have to be to want for that to happen?
It does, in fact, sound incredibly stupid, strangely stupid. That's what made me doubt the story as reported in The Washington Times.

The text of the bill is here: Text - H.R.1 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): For the People Act of 2019 . Some summaries appear in posts 19, 21, and 24. I've only skimmed the bill (it's very long), but from what I can tell, there's no mention of non-citizens being able to vote. There are several references to "eligible citizens". The bill may have flaws, and we can discuss how it might be improved, but I haven't found any references to non-citizens voting in the bill.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
(Barbarian checks)

It's right. Non-citizens can't vote in federal elections, but other election qualifications are left up to the state. Apparently, the last state to do that was Arkansas, which changed its voting laws in 1926. Some states allow local governments to permit non-citizen voting, and some local school boards permit non-citizen parents to vote in school board elections.

Interesting.

It does, in fact, sound incredibly stupid, strangely stupid. That's what made me doubt the story as reported in The Washington Times.

Wouldn't be the first time the Washington Times has fudged the facts.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
House Democrats voted Friday to defend localities that allow illegal immigrants to vote in their elections, turning back a GOP attempt to discourage the practice.

The vote marks a stunning reversal from just six months ago, when the chamber — then under GOP control — voted to decry illegal immigrant voting.

“We are prepared to open up the political process and let all of the people come in,” Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia Democrat and hero of the civil rights movement, told colleagues as he led opposition to the GOP measure.

The only Book that I can recommend is the Bible. However, Alexis DeTouquiville wrote of the demise of this republic since about 200 years ago.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The only Book that I can recommend is the Bible. However, Alexis DeTouquiville wrote of the demise of this republic since about 200 years ago.

He actually wrote his book in praise of democracy in America. He was not sure it could last.

As Franklin said, "if you can keep it."

• Agree
Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's about creating a unbeatable majority. They want illegals to vote Democrat in order to rig the election against conservatives.

If so, they're doing a horrible job of it. The 2018 elections have four known cases of illegal voters. Three of them were for Trump, and one was for a local republican. The 2016 elections had one case of massive illegal voting, but all those votes were for a republican.

Its why the republicans want to restrict people from voting. The lower the turnout, the easier it is to rig elections like that. They care more about the security of their party than the security of the nation.

The mask is off and they are no longer even pretending to uphold the Constitution.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Protecting minorities from harassment from law enforcement. I think that's good enough reason to make it clear that we aren't going to be targeting every person of Hispanic descent as a potential criminal.
Illegal immigrants are not a recognized minority.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's what I suspected, Republicans were posturing rather than dealing with matters of substance.
Republicans should enforce the law. That would land about 25% of the Democrats in Congress in prison.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Republicans should enforce the law. That would land about 25% of the Democrats in Congress in prison.

This is a really, really awkward time for republicans to be talking about sending political figures to prison...

mueller-trump-charges-promo-1534968452597-articleLarge-v4.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Boy, talk about a story twisting facts.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I demand the right as a New Zealand citizen to vote for Trump in the next US election.

You might be able to vote for school board in some locations, but not president.

Nice thought though.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is a really, really awkward time for republicans to be talking about sending political figures to prison...
The problem is, Democrats have no problem prosecuting Republicans for minor crimes but Republicans don't have the guts to prosecute Democrats for anything; even treason goes unpunished. Everyone in America knows Hillary violated the Espionage Act, and yet our injustice system ignores it. Anyone who agrees in a double standard justice system is equally to blame.

• Haha
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The problem is, Democrats have no problem prosecuting Republicans for minor crimes but Republicans don't have the guts to prosecute Democrats for anything;

They spent years and tens of millions of our tax dollars trying to find anything Hillary Clinton did wrong. So that's not a realistic claim, either.

even treason goes unpunished.

Mueller's not done yet. Be patient.

Everyone in America knows Hillary violated the Espionage Act,

Just one problem. Evidence. There isn't any.

Anyone who agrees in a double standard justice system is equally to blame.

Republicans had their time, Now, the democrats are going to see what they can find. Should be interesting.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe people from central America are inherently evil anymore than any other part of the world.

Maybe not, but they did form MS-13, the most violent gang in the Western Hemisphere.

Upvote 0