US-Republican
The head of the department gave a talk to
the new grad students when we started.
One comment he made that I always remembered-

"Scientists are curious people who love
to learn how things work".

Under that heading we note that for scientists
to be in any way intellectually dishonest is
so totally contrary to their very nature.

Not that a few will not fall into vice, as
I suppose some people cheat at solitaire.

Either one, challenge and joy are gone.

Yeah absolutely. I think that this is just the general nature of much of humanity.

And then I think that it's also true that if someone takes interest in something or is compelled by something that they experience, they tend to want to Make the most of that or to expand on that and to learn more about it.

Someone might take up interest in politics or in law or in cooking and chef related work etc. , And in all of these cases people will find these interests and they become compelled to expand on them.

Turn on the cooking channel and you can watch a bunch of chefs competing against one another to see who understands their field of study the best. They get to learn about cooking, how to cook, what to cook with, what ingredients work with x y and z.

People have this goal of becoming the best chef and learning all there is to know about it.

And I think this is similar to scientists.

Darwin probably had an itch for discovery, and then once he discovered and published on it, he probably felt compelled to expand and to clarify on shortcomings and to defend his experiences.

Just as a chef might defend or stand by a recipe that they know is good. For the sake of discovery of who we are and where we came from.

• Agree
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Under that heading we note that for scientists
to be in any way intellectually dishonest is so totally contrary to their very nature.
Ya ... you can't cheat at a chess tournament either, can you? what with all the cameras and spectators around; and having to log your moves for future reference by others?

Upvote 0