• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

History of Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by J_B_, Jun 12, 2021.

1. J_B_

J_B_ Active Member

+140
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Is anyone familiar with the history of evolution? Not the scientific field of study, but the history of the people behind it - both those for and against.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Ponderous Curmudgeon

Ponderous Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

+332
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Interesting question, but I suspect all you will find is a list of ideas that have moved a scientific theory forward, with little discussion beyond the superficial. I suspect it will also overlap greatly with religious denial of science.

3. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    King Solomon, although a king, had a scientific mindset and authored many books.

Ecclesiastes 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

His endeavors led him to make this statement ...

Ecclesiastes 8:16 When I applied mine heart to know wisdom, and to see the business that is done upon the earth: ( for also there is that neither day nor night seeth sleep with his eyes: )
    Ec 8:17 Then I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun: because though a man labour to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea further; though a wise man think to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it.

... which is so true today.

In the area of zoology, he studied animals ...

1 Kings 10:22 For the king had at sea a navy of Tharshish with the navy of Hiram: once in three years came the navy of Tharshish, bringing gold, and silver, ivory, and apes, and peacocks.

... and concluded ...

Ecclesiastes 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Notice he calls [prescience] evolution an "invention," not a "discovery."

Notice too that Solomon studied peacocks, whereas Darwin studied finches.

4. Warden_of_the_Storm

Warden_of_the_Storm Well-Known Member

+4,593
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    That's not the history of evolution. That's you using post hoc logic.

5. Frank Robert

Frank Robert Well-Known Member

+404
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    Here is an overview from Wikipedia. I haven't read it yet but it looks interesting.
    History of evolutionary thought

6. Ponderous Curmudgeon

+332
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Like I said, interesting question, but don't expect much from the religious side. :)

7. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    It wasn't meant to be. Read the second sentence of the OP.

8. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    It's a LOT more than you've given so far.

9. Ponderous Curmudgeon

+332
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Did I say otherwise? How much of it have you actually contributed?

10. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well he did ask for a history of the people behind it.

So I guess I could go find everything the Bible says about Solomon and post it.

But I'll pass.

If I did though, would that satisfy you?

11. J_B_

J_B_ Active Member

+140
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    That would be part of the history. History is not the things you agree with, but the things that happened.

12. CatsRule2020

CatsRule2020 Active Member

+166
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Evolutionary Theory in Ancient Greece & Rome
    Goes back a long time!

13. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+10,569
    Atheist
    Single
    It still fails since Solomon, as least as told in the Bible, appears to be largely fictional.

14. Warden_of_the_Storm

+4,593
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    Where you contradict yourself by saying that King Solomon was a scholar, then posting a part of scripture where the Bible says "Don't spend time writing books."

15. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Is that your opinion, or did you get that from academic sources?

16. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I don't see that in here.

Ecclesiastes 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

The more you read and study, the more there is to read.

I like what John said about Jesus.

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

17. Warden_of_the_Storm

+4,593
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    No, I fully see it as a warning against spending time writing and reading.

But again, all it is from you is just post hoc logic. You have shown nothing that says that Solomon knew about evolution.

18. J_B_

J_B_ Active Member

+140
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Never mind.

19. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+10,569
    Atheist
    Single
    From people that studied the Bible.

20. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+8,354
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    Ignoring the off-topic grumbling that infested your thread, my answer is yes, but I'm not sure what precise answer you are looking for.
    I've read extensively on Darwin, his own works and several autobiographies. I've looked at earlier notions of evolution, including those of his grandfather Erasmus, or workers such as Lamark. I'm hazy on the impact of Weismann's thinking in the second half of the 19th century. I've studied Mendel's work on genetics and familiarised myself with the rediscovery of its principles at the opening of the 20th century by de Vries, Correns and von Tschermark. I'm light on the population genetics of Haldane, Sewell-Wright and Fisher, but not on their importance to evolutionary theory. I'm on more solid ground when we come to the work of Mayr, Dhobzanzky and Simpson, and their construction of the Modern Synthesis. When we come to punctuated equilibrium, niche construction, hox genes and the like, I'm passably well read.

On the "against" side I've read books by Jonathon Wells, Phillip Johnson, Michael Denton, William Dembski and others supporting ID. My exposure to other YEC arguments has come mainly through online articles, Answers in Genesis, and similar sources.

If there's something in there makes you feel I could answer what is on your mind, please ask.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List