Hillsong Church

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,258.00
Faith
Christian
Just to recap - we’ve managed to turn a discussion about a Sydney church into a Catholic vs Protestant argument, with the Spanish Inquisition ( and BTW - Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ) thrown in for good measure.

It might almost be time for….

threadeject.jpg

:p

Upvote 0

Waterhouse

Regular dude...
Nov 28, 2001
Australia
✟15,488.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Greens
thanks for this. Teething nine-month old jst got cranky, so I'll respond later tonight after she is in bed.

But if you could clarify one of the points for me while I'm away... does everybody speak in tongues at your church? does it take practise? What if it doesn't work? I'd like to know... Thanks!
Heck, I don't go to Hillsong... I'm just making pop-corn and enjoying the show.

And on the tongues bit... People do 'pray' in tongues at my church (which is NOT Hillsong). We are taught that it does take 'practice' but that in itself is hard to explain. More like 'practice' in replaxing and letting your 'spirit' take control of your mouth while you pray. Anyways, that's for another thread I think.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

ahhhh your a disrupter , isee where this is going :)

??? you are making this very personal huh? you need to deal with your hurt and stop trying to deal it on others :0

I got accosted by a pastor of my former church for having a differing opinion and gack posting it on a web blog.

A thing I've noticed of attendees like Hillsong, they are not able to effectively discuss differences and when they cant attack the message they resort to personal attacks. its quite pitiful really..... I've endured personal attacks, however not one of the people doing the attacking has been able to argue or counter what I've written.

Its quite sad really, I would be all for having a discussion with members of my former church, however thats not something that would happen, they are unable to argue outside of what is tought in the church

Upvote 0
G

Gavwalk

I got accosted by a pastor of my former church for having a differing opinion and gack posting it on a web blog.

A think I've noticed of attendees like Hillsong, they are not able to effectively discuss differences and when they cant attack they message the resort to personal attacks

Its quote sad really, I would be all for having a discussion with members of my former church, however thats not something that would happen
I have never heard of that sort of thing happen in Hillsong , depends how they ask the question to i spose

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I have never heard of that sort of thing happen in Hillsong , depends how they ask the question to i spose
Then again you wouldnt

Telling members to stuff off (who disagree with the false teachings propagated by the senior pastors) is not something that would be made general knowledge.......

It tends to not vibe with the touchy feelyness of the church at large

Upvote 0
G

Gavwalk

Can someone who attends hillsong answer me this: is it a teaching of hillsong that as Christians, Jesus wants us to be happy and prosperous here on earth and if we prosper we can also help more people?
Yes this is true, blessed to be a blessing , and it seems to work as well, but im guessing im gonna hear how bad and evil we are for thinking this right ?:)

Upvote 0

Waterhouse

Regular dude...
Nov 28, 2001
Australia
✟15,488.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Greens
Yes this is true, blessed to be a blessing , and it seems to work as well, but im guessing im gonna hear how bad and evil we are for thinking this right ?:)
Probably because people are more fixated on 'prosperity' rather than hearing the 'helping others' bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheListener

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian!
Aug 22, 2004
Sydney
✟19,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain this using the Bible and show where in history this has been done?

Upvote 0

TheListener

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian!
Aug 22, 2004
Sydney
✟19,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Very true Water house very true , unfortunately people usually hear what they want to hear
It's not selective hearing, it's just that we are worried.

The love of money is the root of all evil and people can very easily be caught up in trying to be blessed rather than being a blessing. And even then who'se to say when people are "blessed" they won't become corrupted by the temptation?

It's like giving a 4 year old the authority to dispense lollies but not have any himself or just have one. How many 4 year olds can do this?

Upvote 0
G

Gavwalk

Can you explain this using the Bible and show where in history this has been done?
there is no point , because no matter what i say you will have an answer of how i have gotten it out of context(according to you ) andf then it will go back and forth , i know you dont agree with it so we shall end with that :)

It's not selective hearing, it's just that we are worried.
Sorry i dont mean to be harsh but what i can see you are not worried , you are hurt and lashing out and you call it rebuking which is useless to do on a forum .

The love of money is the root of all evil and people can very easily be caught up in trying to be blessed rather than being a blessing. And even then who'se to say when people are "blessed" they won't become corrupted by the temptation?
that is why its up to the individual to pray and read for themselves , and let the Holy spirit teach them , other than always relying on Church for their daily bread

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
there is no point , because no matter what i say you will have an answer of how i have gotten it out of context(according to you ) andf then it will go back and forth , i know you dont agree with it so we shall end with that :)
It amuses me I get the same response from members of my ex church. Rather than discuss the issue and run the risk that they might be proven wrong, they simply go for the "well you wont agree with me so I'm not even going to discuss it'

You are correct, I may not agree with you,. however I cant help buit have respect for someone who holds a POV that is well supported by independent resources

Upvote 0
G

Gavwalk

It amuses me I get the same response from members of my ex church. Rather than discuss the issue and run the risk that they might be proven wrong, they simply go for the "well you wont agree with me so I'm not even going to discuss it'
hence you avoided the question i ask of you , i could say the same :) i will gladly discuss all these things and more, over the phone or in person , but it seems pointless and quite gutless to debate or argue over a forum about a personal issue, and of course i have heard many things people say about Hillsong that are very wrong, but i know if i try to discuss some parts it will go round in circles so whats the point of that ?

Upvote 0
G

Gavwalk

Like we keep saying , lets get back to the topic at hand , if anyone has been hurt by Hillsong persoanlly i will be more than happy to discuss with you via PM or phone or in person if you wish , there is a very good reasoning behind this and it usually sorts out the attention grabbers from the genuine people . if you dont agree with Hillsong , thats fine , doesnt bother me because everyone disagrees with everyone at some point . but as my Post also says is their anyone else out there that has heard of Hillsong , a question, i wonder why so many Americans love Hillsong and also Europeans? as apposed to Australians?

Upvote 0

idner

Jan 22, 2007
In a house :p
Visit site
✟7,758.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I remember one day I was sitting at library just next to a stranger and he suddenly guessed what language I was using. Then he was a christian and he pointed out that he didnt really agree with the prosperity teaching by Hillsong. And as for me, I dont mind the teaching of prosperity from Hillsong. They teach to give and to bless other and more than that, they do something about it instead of just talking about the prosperity stuff for example they go to Rwanda and help the tsunami victim. Alot of people or even churches talk bad about Hillsong or another church while they actually dont do anything about it. I am not saying Hillsong is all perfect. But somehow, its true that its hard to support those who are raising.

Anyway, lets run our race together in God instead of holding the grudge/agony which is a burden for our shoulder :D

Upvote 0

sherri

Mar 20, 2004
✟10,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have u ever thought about going to the extension service? I go to Ryde extension service which is like about 100 + people and its easier to get connected to one another. We have a small lounge as well and we have a bus leaving from the extension service every sunday evening to go to the main hillsong at Hills and while we r in the bus, we can just chat and so on and at Hills, we have reserved seats though its like on the top but its all good :D

If u want, u can give it a go and I'll see you at Ryde extension service :D

:) thank you! I've actually thought about going to Ryde at times for that exact reason. I think Matt Tickner (spelling?) is awesome and I've been there once before. I didn't know they had a bus to the evening service though, what a great idea.

I go to both sat and sun evening services at the moment but my sun night lift is moving. So this could be the answer. If things don't get better then I might be turning up on your doorstep before too much longer. Big church and small church but same church. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

And Gavwalk (is this J.LB btw) you have much patience. :p I would have been trying to help but some of the attitudes in this thread would have given me severe indigestion by now. And I would have been wanting to rip peoples heads off. I don't know how you stay so gracious.

Upvote 0