Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i decided to introduce myself here instead of the main introduction forum first because i am thinking about becoming orthodox.
i was raised episcopalian (my father is The Father at my church, actually) but i've been looking in to other religions for a while, and i think i've finally found the one!
the priest (at the orthodox church) has been wonderful in answering any of my questions, and the a lot of people in the congregation have been very welcoming. i started fasting for Lent, and i made myself a set of prayer beads that i actually use. going to the episcopal church just isn't the same anymore! i feel so much more comfortable here (the Orthodox church) than anywhere else. my parents seem a bit worried though, and i'm not sure how to deal with that sometimes.
those little smilies are makin me laugh

Reactions: Michael G
F

fuerein

Welcome to the site.

I can understand your situation with your parents. My father is a Nazarene minister and while I'll be joining the Orthodox church in about two weeks he still doesn't know much about the Orthodox church still (I don't live near him). I'm currently taking a volunteer only as much information as he asks approach. :) I'm not sure how to discuss it otherwise and I'm rather certain he wouldn't understand alot of it, especially with my poor abilities of explaining these things. :) So rather than volunteer misinformation/miunderstanding I'll leave it to the passing of time.

Anyway, welcome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Julina

Veteran
Apr 14, 2008
New Joisey
Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome welcome! Please remember all cheese, meat and other food goes to the back until the big feast.:thumbsup:

yeah it was hard, especially since i'm stuck eating college cafeteria food, but not as hard as i thought it would be. i only gave up meat because it's my first time fasting and anything beyond that would be pretty much impossible, considering my limited food options.
i'm so excited for my first Pascha! and i'm turning 20 on Palm Sunday this year (and i turn 21 the monday after Pascha next year, which means it's fast free! :D).
i skipped the western easter with the rest of my family because i couldn't get home. it was waay too early this year anyway.

Upvote 0

Julina

Veteran
Apr 14, 2008
New Joisey
Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There's a few of us here with family who don't really understand, it's not that uncommon.
i keep wondering if this is an issue for me just because my dad is the priest. it would be such a scandal if *gasp!* the priest's daughter left the church! what did your family not understand? and how did you deal?

Are you looking forward to Pascha? :)
yes, i am!!! and i'm hoping i can make a cheesecake (you can never have too much after Lent, can you?) for an agape dinner after the service.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Cheesecake, yummm....

My dad...well...my dad and I have issues over Orthodoxy for a few reasons. I'm not in the same position where the priest's daughter is leaving, but my dad was an elder in our church and on the council when I first left the church I grew up in and came to Orthodoxy. Mostly it boils down to him thinking it's an intellectual thing rather than something lived, but then I can't yell at him for that given I held firmly to it for a few months while attending Orthodox services, until God finally went 'um, no', and I suddenly realised that all the intellectual knowledge got me nowhere.

Orthodoxy is something you live, not something you 'know', though knowing stuff can be good too. But I'm sure you're finding all that out.

We get into arguments over points of doctrine a lot though.

:hug: God-willing, all will be fine :)

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i keep wondering if this is an issue for me just because my dad is the priest. it would be such a scandal if *gasp!* the priest's daughter left the church! what did your family not understand? and how did you deal?
I'm not sure how well this can relate, but...

We have a newly ordained priest in our parish. He and his family came into Orthodoxy about five years ago and when they were Anglican, he was an Anglican priest. They had left the Anglicans because of the fact that he had a more Orthodox belief of the Theotokos and the Real Presence of the Eucharist than his Anglican colleagues.

While I can not recall anyone particularly, it would not surprise me if some of the people here came from similar situations (parents being pastors, preacher mans or ministers).

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Julina.

My prayers that your parents will understand and may decide to become Orthodox too.

Take it slowly and help them to realize that you value the Christian faith in which you were raised, but are seeking a fuller expression of the faith as found in Holy Orthodoxy, one in which the faith has remained unchanged since Christ transmitted that Holy Faith to the Apostles over 2000 years ago.

Invite them to "taste and see how good the Lord is"

I hope they can come to at least one Pre-Sanctified Liturgy before this Pascha. It is so beautiful.

Upvote 0

SeekingTheLight

Handmaiden of God Josephine
Aug 16, 2007
Bellville, Texas
✟15,632.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Julina,
Welcome! Well, we actually are just about to tell our family about deciding to convert. It's a looooong story, but I'll just tell you that my husband is currently a church of christ minister, and so I know our families are probably not going to take the news well. He is obvioulsy well thought of by all of our family and looked up to as a minister, sot his will kind of pull-the-rug out from under them, so to speak. I'm not looking forward to it.

Oh, and just a side note: My husband found Orthodoxy first, and for about 2 years, I thought he had completely lost his mind. So, if I can change my mind, there is hope for anyone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.