✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
orthodox only please
So I think I may have postpartum hormone issue or postpartum thyroid issue going on. I’ll be calling my doctor on Monday no worries.
however in the meantime, the anxiety caused by it makes me wonder some things.

so I have read about anxiety being the work of the evil one and read some Saints words on anxiety. I have also read this interesting article on depression (Depression. According to the Fathers. | A Russian Orthodox Church Website) which is one of the few articles I’ve found on anxiety caused by hormones.

I feel guilty, panicky and anxious. The brain fog and anxiety is not helping me figure out what is from the enemy or from myself. Intrusive thoughts and intrusive images dont help either.

For example, I worry about pride and false humility. Or not praying out of love but obligation. or doubt. or if my prayers are selfishly motivated. These things bother me.

I do have follow nightly routine of reading the saints and Bible readings for the day. I use the app OrthoPrax which has quotes, homilies and sermons I read as well.

I guess I’m wondering does anybody sometimes have these thought?

• Prayers
Reactions: Lukaris

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I know folks who have, and have myself at times. keep praying, talking to your priest, and talking to your doctor.
I have emailed my priest. I’ve also found a directory of orthodox mental health professionals to find an orthodox therapist/councilor. I’ve tried secular therapists before but they didn’t help so much as my anxiety has more to do with faith.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have emailed my priest. I’ve also found a directory of orthodox mental health professionals to find an orthodox therapist/councilor. I’ve tried secular therapists before but they didn’t help so much as my anxiety has more to do with faith.
prayers! the Assembly site has a list of Orthodox mental health providers if that’s not the one you used.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
prayers! the Assembly site has a list of Orthodox mental health providers if that’s not the one you used.
Thank you for your prayers, Father.
yes, that was the directory I used.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Wildflower3

Sep 24, 2019
Suburbs
✟9,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
orthodox only please
So I think I may have postpartum hormone issue or postpartum thyroid issue going on. I’ll be calling my doctor on Monday no worries.
however in the meantime, the anxiety caused by it makes me wonder some things.

so I have read about anxiety being the work of the evil one and read some Saints words on anxiety. I have also read this interesting article on depression (Depression. According to the Fathers. | A Russian Orthodox Church Website) which is one of the few articles I’ve found on anxiety caused by hormones.

I feel guilty, panicky and anxious. The brain fog and anxiety is not helping me figure out what is from the enemy or from myself. Intrusive thoughts and intrusive images dont help either.

For example, I worry about pride and false humility. Or not praying out of love but obligation. or doubt. or if my prayers are selfishly motivated. These things bother me.

I do have follow nightly routine of reading the saints and Bible readings for the day. I use the app OrthoPrax which has quotes, homilies and sermons I read as well.

I guess I’m wondering does anybody sometimes have these thought?
You're not alone. Everything you specifically listed, I too struggle with daily. I'm always assessing myself spiritually. I also have religious scrupulosity, I analyze constantly and worry. Orthodoxy does mention the need for constant vigilance, "nepsis", but I'm sure I'm "doing it wrong" because of all the anxiety I have about it. True nepsis should be done in peace and trust in God's mercy. I have health conditions as well that feed into my anxiety, my body produces stress hormones due to my chronic illness, so there's that. But, with prayer and patience the Lord is helping me overcome, baby step by baby step.

I don't know if you're natural disposition is on the nervous side or if this is new for you but definitely post-partum hormones could be it or maybe something nutritionally is out of balance. Also I've heard of people whose primary thyroid symptoms were psychological in nature. It's good you're going to see your doctor for evaluation.

What's happening to you could be a combo of spiritual and physical. Definitely the evil one attacks us when we're in a weak state and when we're in a good place. He tempts the strong and the weak by logosmoi. Don't be scared though, it happens to us all. Sounds like you have a good prayer rule going and are sticking close to God. That will help you and protect you through this season of your life.

I'm also looking into seeing about an Orthodox counselor. I too prefer someone who is of the faith. I found someone but had a setback and have to delay it for a while.

Facebook has an Orthodox Christian Anxiety and Depression support group if you're interested.

It's not easy to do, but I'd advise staying away from the news and anything too heavy, even spiritually. Try to view material that's light-hearted and sweet. Stick to your most comforting spiritual reading materials, saint quotes, scripture. It's not easy for me at least, when I'm weak and anxious I tend to gravitate to what makes me feel worse. I have to force myself away from that stuff to what's good for me.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You're not alone. Everything you specifically listed, I too struggle with daily. I'm always assessing myself spiritually. I also have religious scrupulosity, I analyze constantly and worry. Orthodoxy does mention the need for constant vigilance, "nepsis", but I'm sure I'm "doing it wrong" because of all the anxiety I have about it. True nepsis should be done in peace and trust in God's mercy. I have health conditions as well that feed into my anxiety, my body produces stress hormones due to my chronic illness, so there's that. But, with prayer and patience the Lord is helping me overcome, baby step by baby step.

I don't know if you're natural disposition is on the nervous side or if this is new for you but definitely post-partum hormones could be it or maybe something nutritionally is out of balance. Also I've heard of people whose primary thyroid symptoms were psychological in nature. It's good you're going to see your doctor for evaluation.

What's happening to you could be a combo of spiritual and physical. Definitely the evil one attacks us when we're in a weak state and when we're in a good place. He tempts the strong and the weak by logosmoi. Don't be scared though, it happens to us all. Sounds like you have a good prayer rule going and are sticking close to God. That will help you and protect you through this season of your life.

I'm also looking into seeing about an Orthodox counselor. I too prefer someone who is of the faith. I found someone but had a setback and have to delay it for a while.

Facebook has an Orthodox Christian Anxiety and Depression support group if you're interested.

It's not easy to do, but I'd advise staying away from the news and anything too heavy, even spiritually. Try to view material that's light-hearted and sweet. Stick to your most comforting spiritual reading materials, saint quotes, scripture. It's not easy for me at least, when I'm weak and anxious I tend to gravitate to what makes me feel worse. I have to force myself away from that stuff to what's good for me.
Thank you. I am trying. Like you said: baby steps. I went to my family care doctor and it seems that there is nothing wrong physically. Though I do know that really bad anxiety and social isolation can cause hallucinations and delusions. I got back on my lamictal (mood stabilizer & anti convulsant) and went to confession. It is helping. Of course, I need to do confession again during Lent as I do not know if it’s logismoi, my own thoughts/fantasies, prelest, or audio hallucinations (due to anxiety and fear). Maybe even a combination of all of them. But it’s slowly getting better. Praise God.

PS: I’m here if you ever want to chat.

• Friendly
Reactions: Wildflower3
Upvote 0

Wildflower3

Sep 24, 2019
Suburbs
✟9,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No problem. ☺

Praise God you are seeing some improvement. One of my friends has taken Lamictal in the past and it helped her.

It's great you will be seeing your priest ongoing, so important.

The fact that you're concerned about prelest is a good thing in a way, those in deep prelest won't even consider or worry that they're in prelest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0