• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

help with losing weight?

AgapeGrace

Saved by Gracee
Oct 31, 2011
England
✟7,895.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I noticed lately I'm a lot heavier than I used to be. I don't want to disclose my weight but I looked up my BMI and its getting a little to close to the overweight section. I get out of breath very quickly, I only have to walk up one flight of stairs and I'm really tired! I'm very concerned about my health! Any diet advice would be lovely! thanks in advance :)

wesrman

Nov 11, 2011
✟15,138.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Its hard to hell with so little info, but heres a few things that will help get u started.

First of all stop looking at your BMI. Its garbage. Everyone is different and it doesnt take into account bone structure or muscle mass.

Cut out the junk u know u shouldnt eat/drink. (coke, cookies, chips, sugar, fruit juice, etc)

Eat mostly meat, veggies and fruit. Go easy on breads, pasta, potatoes and other starches.

Drink lots of water.

Exercise! Diet wont stop u from being out of breath and at your age that shouldnt happen so easily.

Start going for walks/runs twice a week. Run for bit, walk for a bit to catch your breath, repeat.

Do bodyweight exercises twice a week. Things like push ups, squats, crunches etc. Go to youtube to learn how to do the exercises if u dont know how.

Go for long walks ias often as possible.

Take the stairs whenever possible.

Find someone else that is interested in gettign in shape and team up with them. This will help motivae you and make it more fun.

Good luck and keep us posted on how its going. :)

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Physical activity is good and will help your metabolism and health but if you want to loose weight you need to look at the food you eat. Keep a journal of what you eat. Eat often so that you won't eat a lot during meals. Your body can only absorb 6 ounces of the steak at a time and the rest will become fat.

A good plan is oatmeal or eggs and toast for breakfast within the first 1 1/2 hrs after you wake. Then a snake like fruit and nuts within 3 hrs, lunch that has protein, veggies and a healthy carb like brown rice, a snack a few hrs later and a dinner like your lunch.

Try and cut out eating a couple hrs before bed, unhealthy snack food and cream or sugar sauces. Any sugar you eat will add to your weight.

Good luck in your weight loss.

Upvote 0

blhchristina

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am registered dietitian and I agree with rossignol's suggestions. Try keeping a journal for just 3 days. Make sure and include the portion sizes along with the items. If you can at least say what your height is, I can estimate some sort of calorie level for you.

Upvote 0
D

dbcsf

I would disagree with the idea that BMI is garbage. It is true that it needs to be interpreted. It is true that there are people who are very healthy who do not fit into the BMI category described. It is true that some people are very unhealthy and do not fit into the BMI category described. It is a tool, like anything else, and needs to be used in context of the bigger picture for each individual. It has its uses.

It is certainly fair to say that the BMI is a statistical tool. For every 1000 people who have a BMI of a certain number, there is going to be an associated risk of diabetes, stroke, heart attack, etc. Individuals, such as yourself, are not statistics, obviously.

Also, the range is quite generous for healthy people. This takes up most of the slack for different body types.

If you are approaching a BMI of 25 you could be overweight (or underweight) already and not even know it unless you go to your doctor or the dietician for the bigger picture.

Others have commented on diet, eating healthy is critical for sure.

It sounds like part of the picture is poor fitness. One staircase should be doable for all humans. It could be fitness, it could be asthma, it could be leukemia. If you continue to have stamina problems after a few weeks of exercise, you might want to see a doctor.

Maybe try getting into shape first. It is likely (statistically) if your BMI is less than 25 (not quite overweight per BMI) and you go to the gym three days a week and start walking 20 minutes a day you will be fine. Perhaps you do not have to lose weight. You may possibly convert your existing fat into muscle and increase your stamina and be fine at your current weight.

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am registered dietitian and I agree with rossignol's suggestions. Try keeping a journal for just 3 days. Make sure and include the portion sizes along with the items. If you can at least say what your height is, I can estimate some sort of calorie level for you.
To find a calorie level you can also go to some gym's or Dr's that have a machine you stand on that can tell you how many calories you burn a day just by living, making all organs work, without any exorcise or physical activity. This will give you a good idea how much you should take in for the day. Mine is about 1700 so me eating 2000 calories a day lets me have energy to do what I want and still loose weight cause I work and burn as well as go to the gym. The calories I take in need to be ones that give me energy so I'm able to get a good work out and not burn out too quickly.

Upvote 0

Melinda0213

Jan 5, 2012
✟15,113.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First of all, I think it’s great that you are concerned about your health. Most people see little changes like this and ignore them…so kudos to you! First of all, you need to get out and exercise. Exercising will speed your metabolism and give you energy. You should try and exercise 3 -4 times per week for at least 30 minutes. If you don’t want to join a gym (because they can be a little intimidating), go out and start walking or do some other kind of exercise at your home or in your neighborhood. You know, one great way to burn calories quickly and jumpstart your metabolism is to jump rope. You don’t have to do it for very long and if you have to stop and take a break, then that is okay. However, jumping ropes works wonders.

As far as the diet goes, start off small be eliminating sodas and fruit drinks from your diet. Try and drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. Remove the fried foods and sweets. Try and eat more grains and make sure you work lean proteins into your diet. Also, try not to eat less than 2 hours before you go to bed. One more thing, eat a healthy breakfast every morning. This will also help to jumpstart your metabolism.

God bless you!

Melinda

Upvote 0

Rothen

Apr 21, 2012
✟844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I noticed lately I'm a lot heavier than I used to be. I don't want to disclose my weight but I looked up my BMI and its getting a little to close to the overweight section. I get out of breath very quickly, I only have to walk up one flight of stairs and I'm really tired! I'm very concerned about my health! Any diet advice would be lovely! thanks in advance :)
Have you tried Slimfast? It worked for me.

Upvote 0

Lem29

Apr 27, 2011
✟7,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you're getting out of breath so easily, it will be important to start exercising in addition to eating better. There are so many benefits to even light exercise -- in combination with eating better will help you to start heading back in the right direction weigh-wise. Here's a great website that spells out the basics of eating better and physical fitness from a Christian point of view.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how it is going!

Lem

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdicostanzo

Galatians 2:20
Jan 1, 2013
Long Island, New York
Visit site
✟7,635.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey,

I would not put too much weight into your BMI. The barometer for which it builds its numbers is flawed and outdated. As a tool, I would say that if you find yourself creeping WAY too far into an unhealthy range, you may be there. The key is cutting out sugar and all processed foods. Go lean and green. Healthy lean protein sources and green vegetables. Drink a minimum of 2-3 liters of water a day. Add lemon juice and possibly apple cider vinegar with mother to your water. Exercise at least 5-6 days a week. I know it may seem like a lot, but consider how many calories you ingest on a weekly basis and then think about what you want to weigh. Is working out 2-3 times a week going to make a big difference? If so, then fine. In most cases...it will not. Stay active!! Walk, stairs...park the car far in the lot...do jumping jacks during cmmercials while you watch TV. Sounds crazy, but when you are EATING RIGHT...little extra activity goes a long way. Also, try to STOP eating past 8pm. Insulin response is NOT operating well later at night. If you are a night owl or work or exercise late, this may be different for you. Stay strong! Be positive! Focus on what you WANT and do NOT focus on the unhealthy foods that bring you down.

You can get healthy again!

Upvote 0

Malt

Jan 16, 2013
✟15,120.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Single
Well guys!!!I am here and i agree with your reviews.different people use the
different tips for the losing weight.I like these tips for the weight loss.
1 Fresh vegetable
2 Fresh fruits
Take exercise for at least 30 minutes
4. Eat balance diet
5. Use more fruits in diet
6. Drink fresh juices....

Upvote 0

Moona

Jan 24, 2013
Australia
✟15,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exercise help you in reducing your body weight. Heavy body is like a major disease and it makes a man sleepy and slow all the time. To much fat body is not good. For this i suggest you to go for morning walk or jogging every day. It also help you to reduce cholesterol level which cause heart diseases.

Upvote 0

Elric Yang

Want to be Pastor
Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
fat want to be thin
thin want to be fat
some fat want to be fatter
some thin want to be thinner

is this really important than being healthy?
i think i am over thin but.. my health is always fine.. firstly thanks God..
gaining weight for me.. just to satisfied my own desire for look better.. wont desperate for it, because i only desperate on God :p

to gain weight, eat more
to lose weight, eat less than usual.. control our self, pray before meal "my friend always pray that the food they ate wont gain weight"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can say I was able to eat most anything, even in big quantities and stay skinny. I was 5'11 and like maybe 140 pounds. But after my seizures and many med changes, the one med got me up to 230. Since then I have dropped back down to 203. Which is good but I still am self conscious about my fat now. Its so hard to lose.

And for women its even harder. >.<

Upvote 0

Luna1991

Jan 22, 2013
Sydney
✟7,759.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor

I'm a big believer in not aiming to be skinny, but aiming to be healthy.

My favourite books for this are the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet books - they aim to give you a way to make your entire body *healthy*, not some fad diet to make you skinny.

But of course, a healthy bodyis usually quite slim.

Upvote 0