• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

help please with addiction and girlfriend

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
I do not know about other programs, but I do have experience with AA and there are some people who can get through it easier than others. Some people just cannot kick their habit through the program, or they take a few ties, some can do it the first time around. There are quite a few AA and NA success stories in my family. I have seen a lot of people also come to Christ after kicking their habits.

madison1101 said:
419gam, have you been to AA or NA? Have you studied the research I have studied on the effectiveness of 12 Step programs? Have you worked with numerous drug addicts and done therapy with them? I have.

The 12 Step programs offer a spiritually based program of recovery using social support, cognitive restructuring and behavioral changes in an accepting atmosphere.

Seeker, if you want to make changes in your life, the choice is yours. You can justify using marijuana again, or get help to change your life.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
419gam said:
I was not knocking the 12 step program but there is not much in AA or NA for a pot smoker, marijuana is a vastly different drug, if you read my post carefully I reccomend MA which is Marijuana Anonymous, which is the organiztion he should be looking for if he wants a 12 step program. The level of support at NA, or AA will lack because pot is tottally different then both booze and hard drugs. I don't want to get sucked back into an arguement in this thread but if you where really knowledgable about 12 step programs why wouldn't you reccomend the most apropriate one, and why wouldn't you recognize MA, it follows right after AA and NA in my post.

The reason for recomending AA and NA is that in the large metropolitan area in which I live there are literally hundreds of those meetings to attend. I can leave my home on any given day and be less than 10 miles from several different meetings at any time of the day. There are two MA meeting in center city. I live 25 miles from center city. The availability of meetings is just not there. My clients go to both AA and NA in the treatment facility. They do not have access to center city. It is my professional opinion that the most appropriate program is the one that is most accessible.

I know people who suffer from eating disorders and can't get to an OA meeting, so they go to open AA meetings for the recovery. I know people who have loved ones who are drug addicts who go to Alanon because that is more available than Naranon.

If there is an MA meeting close to Seeker, great. If not, don't bash the other programs.

Upvote 0