• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help me I have a form of mental retardation

IloveJesus-Ly

Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Dec 27, 2018
Kissimmee
✟15,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have these same problems
No dreams or visions, but after 'praying' a lot, some autistic people get this 'shutdowns' or 'meltdows', i never got meltdowns but yes shutdowns, like i was saying after praying a lot i don't get shutdowns anymore in heavy social situations.

It seems that a lot of autistic people have some spiritual problems on top of autism.

If you can get a diagnosis or after reading a lot about it you identify autism in you then it can be good to convince your family, i don't think you are going to hurt them, because they could understand that you have issues with autism and understand you a bit more i don't know.
Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: JazzHands
Upvote 0

IloveJesus-Ly

Dec 27, 2018
Kissimmee
✟15,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One more thing guys. I cannot tell when something someone tells me is sad or when it is good so alot of times I laugh at the wrong times. My mom told me one time I laughed when someone told me they had cancer. How did that person feel? And does anyone have any advice for me?

• Informative
Upvote 0

IloveJesus-Ly

Dec 27, 2018
Kissimmee
✟15,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try to learn situation types. Learn compassion for words and faces. Learn empathy.
But what went through his mind when I did that, can you tell me so I can remember so I dont do it next time.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,501.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
But what went through his mind when I did that, can you tell me so I can remember so I dont do it next time.
I have done it myself. With someone I am familiar with, my mum. She thought I didn't care. They feel contempt, or snubbing. A misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

JazzHands

Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One more thing guys. I cannot tell when something someone tells me is sad or when it is good so alot of times I laugh at the wrong times. My mom told me one time I laughed when someone told me they had cancer. How did that person feel? And does anyone have any advice for me?
I think it has something to do with playing through scenarios in your head, even scenarios you have no precedents for.

e.g. I've never been married, probably never will be. A friend of mine might be having a drink with me in a pub and confides in me that his marriage is on the rocks for various reasons. I've never experienced life from his perspective so I have to 'imagine' what it would be like to be in his position using the best analogies I can muster.

So I imagine it being like living with a girl 'friend' for 15 years and then realising that she doesn't want to live with me anymore because we don't get on like we used to. Then I understand how painful that would be for both parties and I sympathise.

In the case of cancer, the big 'C' means mortality to most people.. even if it's benign, it makes them feel vulnerable. There isn't much you can say apart from either, "I'm sure it'll be fine, don't obsess too much!" or "Medicine has come on leaps and bounds, it doesn't have to be a death sentence!". Personally, I tend to throw in a little levity by talking about some stupif youtube vid I watched last week!

Empathy is a useful tool but I only developed it when I was no longer shielded by youthful ignorance/innocence.

• Friendly
Reactions: IloveJesus-Ly
Upvote 0