Hello from the UK - I am very new to Lutheranism...

Die_Eberesche

Mar 2, 2018
Northumbria
✟9,202.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Labour
I am a 32 year old man, father and fiance. I have wrestled with my faith in many ways for many years. I've always loved God and had a space in my heart for Him. Some of the time, that space has been very narrow, and other times it has been very wide. Sometimes I've felt abandoned, and others I've felt loved and saved and secure.

I’ve come to Lutheranism very, very recently. I was baptised as a Roman Catholic and grew up strong in the faith. After various life experiences and interactions with the Clergy and other members of my community, I began to become disillusioned and began to read up on the Reformation. A few years later, my wife (who actually did me a favour here as I’m now with an amazing woman) had an affair and left me. We divorced a few months later and my role as a Catholic teacher was pretty much untenable - and became more so when I met my amazing fiancée and planned to marry her. I became quite bitter by being so judged by my fellow Catholics and so I even turned my back on God for a few months. Out in the cold, away from His love, was a terrible place to be. But I needed that time to wander as a 'nomad' and gather my thoughts. I wasn't lost - I was seeking something more of myself and ensuring I was worthy.

Long story short, I joined the Anglican Communion through the Church of England (as my fiancée is a member) around a year ago as my Christian faith is hugely important to me. As my faith evolves, I’ve been drawn towards Lutheranism and would be delighted if some of you can give me a brief ‘tour’ of the faith?

The Lutheran community in England is very small, but I truly believe this is the path God is leading me down.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's always difficult to answer broad questions because there is so much to talk about. Is there anything in particular you're interested to know?

If not, the most basic of Lutheran doctrines is to begin with the idea of "Law and Gospel".

Another very basic aspect I use to describe Lutheranism is that it is an "earthy" approach. Whereas most other Christian churches take either a very "heady" approach (everything is about your reason & philosophy) or a very "emotional" approach (everything is about your experience and emotion), Lutherans are grounded in what God has given us that is outside of ourselves - yet something very physical that we can interact with - Word and Sacrament.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! :)

To anyone wanting to know about Lutheranism, I'd point to the Book of Concord as the Lutheran Confessions: Welcome to the Book of Concord
It may be a weird place to start, but the Formula of Concord - to me at least - is a great and efficient overview: The Epitome of the Formula of Concord - Book of Concord

It may seem a little overwhelming at first, but you can browse by topic at your own pace.

I came from a largely Reformed (Charismatic) background myself. What won me over to Luther was the clear distinction between Law & Gospel and the orthodox teaching on Word & Sacrament, as already mentioned - but also the overall harmony of Lutheran doctrine. In particular, the clear teaching that salvation is entirely from God (against Arminianism and various Semi-Pelagian tendencies), but that our damnation is entirely our own fault (against extreme forms of Calvinism, Universalism, Socinianism and other extreme Rationalistic tendencies). Lutheran doctrine holds that this is apprehended through faith alone, not reason. In other words, while I find Lutheran doctrines very clear, logical and Biblically sound, it doesn't venture to speculate on things that are higher than us. All in all, it's saturated with the Gospel. At least that's what I really appreciate :)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm also someone who has crossed the Rhine as an adult. I often describe my journey to Lutheranism as an accident, because when I was in the wilderness the Lutheran tradition wasn't even on my radar. I grew up Evangelical/Pentecostal, but began to question certain things I had been raised to believe in my late teens. I slowly became disenchanted with it, especially as I began to study Scripture and the history of the Church more in depth. I was early on drawn toward ancient expressions of the faith, in particular Eastern Orthodoxy. Fundamentally what shook up my world was a Lutheran expressing the Gospel very plainly and clearly--and that it is God's gift, God's work, apart from myself. That, in truth, my hope and salvation didn't depend on me, but God in Christ.

I had grown up hearing the words "grace alone" and "faith alone" but these were never interpreted in a way except that my salvation was, ultimately, up to me and my choices and actions. It was up to me, ultimately, to turn toward God, it was up to me to accept Christ; and the underlying presentation of the Christian life which I had been raised with was such that I was supposed to grow and change and become more righteous as evidence and fruit of my salvation. But this theology of moral progress continued to leave me in a state of despair.

The first time I started to question my own salvation was when I was 8 years old; one of my very earliest memories was being about 3/4 years old and my parents leading me through the "Sinner's Prayer", but I also distinctly remember trying to "shoo" Jesus out of my heart when my parents corrected a misunderstanding on my part, that even though I accepted Jesus into my heart I would still die (my grandfather had recently suffered a stroke and so this was also the "death talk" from my parents since we didn't know if he would make it at the time). Fast forward to me at 8 years old, and I had my first existential crisis of faith--I confessed to my dad that I didn't know if I had "meant it" when I asked Jesus into my heart, I also remembered the whole "shooing" thing I did. So my dad led me through the Sinner's Prayer again. He asked if I had meant it that time, and I told him that I didn't know. I didn't know how to know if I had meant it, I didn't know what it was I supposed to feel, or how to feel like I meant it.

This was a repeated theme for much of my younger life. When I started going through puberty, I was inundated with all the hormonal insanity that comes with puberty, and the sermons and talks from various youth pastors and teachers led me feeling absolutely horrid, because I was looking at women differently than I had before--new feelings which I was deeply ashamed of. Being reinforced fairly routinely. A youth evangelist came to our church and preached on a Sunday night, the point of which was to get us kids to go forward to receive "Baptism with the Holy Spirit", so I went forward and had hands laid on me and I was "slain in the Spirit" as is called. At first I thought this was a godsend, now maybe I could start living rightly and thinking rightly--but that's not what happened. Instead I continued to be hounded by my own sins, my own sinful thoughts, and feelings (or at least what I had been conditioned to believing were sinful) and I remember pleading with God to save me, pleading for Jesus not to abandon me. Time and again I was convinced that I was outside of reach, I was beyond hope, surely the Lord would not have me, I was beyond forgiveness.

That was the state of things for most of my teenage years. I tried hard to feel God, to feel God's presence. I would throw all I had into worship, I would fall face down, prostrate, both during worship in church and privately when I was alone at home. And just beg God to heal me, to rescue me, to save me. And sometimes I would feel better--for a time. But it didn't last. And when I didn't "feel God", I took it to be a punishment from God, God withdrawing Himself from me because I was such a huge disappointment. All I wanted was a God of love. I just wanted a God who would love me--but He was so far away, so distant, my sins were so great and surely He could have nothing to do with me. Meanwhile, most of my church friends would tell me how they respected me, they would tell me how spiritual I was, and the youth leaders at my church, and pastors would say I was going to be really important. By all outward, observable metrics I was a very pious person--I didn't just try to look religious outwardly to save face, it was part of a desperate interior battle that waged inside me to want to be a godly person--but I knew the truth. I knew the me that nobody could see, the me that was full of fear and doubt. I wasn't a spiritual person, I was a terrified sinner before a wrathful, angry, holy God.

Then one day a Lutheran said it clear as day, that we are justified freely by God's grace, on Christ's account. That God is the One who comes down, always comes down, always, always, always comes down. We don't go up, God comes down. It is that God comes down, throws Himself away for sinners in Jesus, to make us His own. God loved me, and God saves me apart from me--He has done this in Jesus.

It was, so similar to what I had always heard my entire life, but there was something different this time. There was no, "God did that, so now you have to do this." It was simply, purely, "God has done this, for you." Full stop. Period. That's it. God has done. For me. For me this wretch.

It was like an ocean of calm and peace.

The terrifying God of holiness loves me. He just does.

There's no impressing Him. There's no requirements, or conditions, or small print. God just loves me, and Christ is His love for me, God comes down. God throws Himself away in Jesus. I didn't earn it. I didn't have to. God just did it. He did it without permission. God decided to love me without getting my permission, because Lord knows left to my own devices I wouldn't let Him--I loathed myself far too much to let God love me. But God loved me anyway.

God loves everyone anyway.

God is for everyone. God is for everyone in Jesus. God is for the whole world. God loves us to the very worst of us, and drowned Himself in the ugliness and suffering of the very worst the world could throw at Him--and He took it all. He abandoned Himself to all the ugliness of humanity and the world--in order to save us. Us, who would choose every day to be God's enemies, He saved us. He reconciled us. He came for us. To reconcile us. To make us not just friends, but children and heirs.

That's who God is in the Gospel. That's what the Gospel is: The God who throws Himself away in Jesus, for us--for all of us, for the very worst of us. To rescue us, to justify us, to save us.

And that's why I'm a Lutheran.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Die_Eberesche

Mar 2, 2018
Northumbria
✟9,202.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi all.

I was drawn to Lutheranism due to my perception of its simplicity and reformed nature and the Christ-centred approach that it encourged. It appealed to my need for a real and honest and openly sinful relationship with Christ (if that makes sense). That we could be honest with one another and have a beautiful dialogue was something that immediately appealed to me. I didn't want guilt; I wanted honesty.

I began to research Lutheranism further and decided it may be my path back to fulfilment in Christ, but then I began reading up on Methodism and I began to consider that this was perhaps another path.

I am not indecisive - I am reflective and I want to cement my relationship with Christ. I am not 'flip-flopping' through denominations as some have accused me, but instead wanting to research, consult, converse and remain true to my own beliefs and with what God is calling me towards.

As fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
s
Hi all.

I was drawn to Lutheranism due to my perception of its simplicity and reformed nature and the Christ-centred approach that it encourged. It appealed to my need for a real and honest and openly sinful relationship with Christ (if that makes sense). That we could be honest with one another and have a beautiful dialogue was something that immediately appealed to me. I didn't want guilt; I wanted honesty.

I began to research Lutheranism further and decided it may be my path back to fulfilment in Christ, but then I began reading up on Methodism and I began to consider that this was perhaps another path.

I am not indecisive - I am reflective and I want to cement my relationship with Christ. I am not 'flip-flopping' through denominations as some have accused me, but instead wanting to research, consult, converse and remain true to my own beliefs and with what God is calling me towards.

As fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Thank you.

It's good to be honest :)

I think asking Lutherans, you're probably going to get a Lutheran biased answer - as is the case below! :)

However, I would perhaps say that Lutheran doctrine is more fixed than Anglican and consequently Methodist. People may disagree, but the way I view it is that while Anglicans and Methodists are somewhat more flexible and tolerable to different views (by this I don't necessarily mean heresy or even heterodoxy, but things uncertain), whereas Lutherans are - at least traditionally - more in agreement and less tolerable. I don't mean any of this in a negative sense, but simply that Lutheran confessions are made very explicit, for the purpose that it's absolutely unwilling to compromise on anything that has implications on the Gospel. In other reformed traditions, however, doctrines can be formulated a little more vague - often for the sake of unity; Salvation Army's handbook is a great example of this. (Though admittedly some more liberal branches of Lutheranism are also deliberately vague in their creeds - again, in longing for unity. Personally, I'm for charity and promoting less suspicion towards other denominations, but I'm pessimistic to Syncretism as it often amounts to something counter-Gospel and ends up more schismatic than unifying - hence so many branches of Protestant denominations)

Beyond this, I would simply suggest:
1. Cling to where the Gospel is the clearest. Stay clear of life coaching, prosperity gospel, work-righteousness, ritualism and mysticism. (I don't accuse Methodism of this - it's just a general point)
2. Move towards whatever increases your love and trust in God.
3. Move towards whatever cause you to love your neighbour in truth, through our Lord Jesus Christ.
4. Be alert for any doctrine that confounds Justification with Sanctification. Though they are closely and naturally related, they ought to be carefully discriminated.

As far as I understand, Methodists acknowledge both Sacraments as means of grace, and they furthermore hold to the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist as a Holy Mystery (as do Lutherans, among other orthodox Christian branches), which seems to me like a good sign of orthodoxy.

That'd be my 2c, but the official Lutheran opinion on this matter is: "Also they (the Lutheran church) teach that one holy Church is to continue forever. The Church is the congregation of saints, in which the Gospel is rightly taught and the Sacraments are rightly administered."

• Winner
Reactions: Die_Eberesche
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! :)

To anyone wanting to know about Lutheranism, I'd point to the Book of Concord as the Lutheran Confessions: Welcome to the Book of Concord
It may be a weird place to start, but the Formula of Concord - to me at least - is a great and efficient overview: The Epitome of the Formula of Concord - Book of Concord

It may seem a little overwhelming at first, but you can browse by topic at your own pace.

I came from a largely Reformed (Charismatic) background myself. What won me over to Luther was the clear distinction between Law & Gospel and the orthodox teaching on Word & Sacrament, as already mentioned - but also the overall harmony of Lutheran doctrine. In particular, the clear teaching that salvation is entirely from God (against Arminianism and various Semi-Pelagian tendencies), but that our damnation is entirely our own fault (against extreme forms of Calvinism, Universalism, Socinianism and other extreme Rationalistic tendencies). Lutheran doctrine holds that this is apprehended through faith alone, not reason. In other words, while I find Lutheran doctrines very clear, logical and Biblically sound, it doesn't venture to speculate on things that are higher than us. All in all, it's saturated with the Gospel. At least that's what I really appreciate :)
This!

https://ilc-online.org/members/europe/england/

My Church, Lutheran Church Canada is in full fellowship with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of England https://ilc-online.org/members/europe/england/; not to be confused with The Lutheran Church in Great Britain which identifies with the liberal synods and other reformed protestant bodies such as the Anglican Communion and Presbyterians (Calvinist theology). We share and support each others seminaries.

Upvote 0

John the Ex-Baptist

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Southampton
Visit site
✟82,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Mark above makes a good point if you don’t want to be suckered into a liberal church that is Lutheran in name only.

I came from a charismatic, then reformed background, and am currently going through confirmation sessions with my pastor near Southampton, U.K..

The ELCE is a very sparse church body, but very faithful to the Bible and to the Lutheran confessions found in the Book of Concorde, which I highly recommend reading.

I noticed your in Northumbria, but I would strongly recommend contacting my pastor Tapani Simojoki. He is Finnish nationality, but speaks perfect English, and graduated seminary in Fort Wayne, and has a lot of connections with LCMS.

Our church website can be found at http://www.oslc.org.uk/ along with contact details etc., you will find all our sermons and Bible studies online too. I am sure he could link you in with a fellowship closer to where you live.

Hope that all helps anyway.

God bless,

John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums