Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
aiighty, I will begin. there is nothing in Scripture to support annihilation or that there is no eternal hell.
Actually, there is nothing in scripture that supports that there is a hell at all. "Hell" is a made up word. It's a shame too, nobody tried to come up with some other name for Jerusalem, but they seemed to think it needed to be done for Gehenna. I don't get it.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing in the text below supports the theory this is not a literal event with real people that actually happened.

Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, there is nothing in scripture that supports that there is a hell at all. "Hell" is a made up word. It's a shame too, nobody tried to come up with some other name for Jerusalem, but they seemed to think it needed to be done for Gehenna. I don't get it.
So, what happens after death for those whose destination isn't heaven?

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing in the text below supports the theory this is not a literal event with real people that actually happened.

Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Lazarus and the rich man is not about hell. It's not the point of the parable.
Lazarus and the Rich Man

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lazarus and the rich man is not about hell. It's not the point of the parable.
Lazarus and the Rich Man

I see nothing here to say Luke 16:19-31 is a parable, with two men called by name and Abraham conversing with the rich man. What is your evidence from the text this is does not describe a real event?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what happens after death for those whose destination isn't heaven?
John 3:16
Genesis 3:19
Genesis 3:22-23
Psalm 1
Psalm 37
Psalm 92:6-9
Proverbs 10:25-31
Proverbs 24:19-20
Malachi 4:1-3
Matthew 3:11-12
Matthew 7:13-14
Matthew 10:28
Matthew 13:40-42
Matthew 18:8-9
(Leaving out the other gospels right now)
Romans 6:23
1 Corinthians 15: 50-54
Philippians 3:19
1 Thessalonians 1:7-9
Hebrews 10:26-27
James 5:20
2 Peter 2:6
2 Peter 2:12
2 Peter 3:6-7
1 John 2:17
1 John 5:11-12
Jude 7
Revelation 20:13-14

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even when Christ used parables, He did not create fantastical events that were untrue by their very nature. Sowers sow, birds eat seeds, plants wiither in the sun. None of the plants in Jesus' parable produced a magic beanstalk that grew into heaven.

Even if Lazarus and the rich man were not actual people, everything Jesus said was "true" in the sense that it reflects truth.

If people slept or disappeared after they died, Jesus would not have described this scenario at all.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And the "sleep" is just a popular euphemism. There are topics people tend to do that with. A generation ago you would only hear sexual relations described as "sleeping with someone" or "sleeping around" though we all know that sleeping wasn't what was being described.

Like sexual activity, people tend to use euphemisms for death. Passing on or having passed is a common one. But of course they didn't physically overtake and pull ahead of someone like passing in traffic. Falling asleep was just a nice way of saying "they died" while in a sense giving a nod to the fact that we do not cease to exist at our physical death.

• Agree
Reactions: JamesTheJust
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. The rich man and Lazarus is not in Matthew 13... or are you saying that this scripture means that Jesus NEVER spoke in a literal manner?
Not to crowds. Often he explained his parables to his core group.

And the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man is the last of a list of parables:
Lost sheep
Lost coin
Lost son
Shrewd Manager
Lazarus and the Rich man

They are all parables. BTW, the name "lazarus" means "God will help".

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I would just like to confirm what I have read on this forum in the past, The Orthodox position is that God is the lake of fire?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.