Health issue vs. wanting to fufill God's plan and avoid Birth Control.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife was recently diagnosed with epilepsy. That means she has to take medication,which could harm an unborn baby. She gets partial seizures,which could endanger her if they happen at the wrong moment. What's God's will in this situation?
Good question. Are you Catholic or part of a church that requires one to observe not using birth control? If not then one might make an exception after prayer and consideration. If so then you should talk to your priest as well as pray on it.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My wife was recently diagnosed with epilepsy. That means she has to take medication,which could harm an unborn baby. She gets partial seizures,which could endanger her if they happen at the wrong moment. What's God's will in this situation?
As a women who has had epilepsy for over 20 years, I know that it is very possible for women with epilepsy to have children safely. There are some medicines that are very dangerous for the baby, but there are others, such as Lamictal, that are relatively safe. I recommend talking to her neurologist. Express your desire to have children and your concerns about the medication. Ask if there is something in her medical treatment that can be altered to use medicines that are safer for childbearing. Granted, this is a tricky time when a person is first diagnosed. That said, there are multiple options that you can discuss with her doctor - and with the medicine options today, it certainly is possible to have a healthy pregnancy with epilepsy.

Regarding the partial seizures happening at the wrong time - are they fairly controlled? Even women with grand mal seizures can conceive and deliver children safely. Again - her doctor can help with understanding this.

Most importantly, pray and ask God for guidance!

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
That's a very personal question, one you should discuss personally with the Lord. To my knowledge, even the denominations which frown upon artificial birth control (notably Catholic) are completely okay with natural birth control and seeking the Lord for individual circumstances.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2018
Colorado
✟18,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a women who has had epilepsy for over 20 years, I know that it is very possible for women with epilepsy to have children safely. There are some medicines that are very dangerous for the baby, but there are others, such as Lamictal, that are relatively safe. I recommend talking to her neurologist. Express your desire to have children and your concerns about the medication. Ask if there is something in her medical treatment that can be altered to use medicines that are safer for childbearing. Granted, this is a tricky time when a person is first diagnosed. That said, there are multiple options that you can discuss with her doctor - and with the medicine options today, it certainly is possible to have a healthy pregnancy with epilepsy.

Regarding the partial seizures happening at the wrong time - are they fairly controlled? Even women with grand mal seizures can conceive and deliver children safely. Again - her doctor can help with understanding this.

Most importantly, pray and ask God for guidance!

Thank you for responding. Your advice is great.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2018
Colorado
✟18,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good question. Are you Catholic or part of a church that requires one to observe not using birth control? If not then one might make an exception after prayer and consideration. If so then you should talk to your priest as well as pray on it.
My wife and I are evangelicals.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would talk to her doctor about this and then find peace with somebody in the church with what the doctors suggest. Getting medical advice on the internet for something as personal and highly specific as how epilepsy manifests in your wife is highly unwise. What works in terms of medication and safety for one does not even come close to providing a solution for all in all situations.

If it did, we’d speak of how epilepsy is a curable condition, as opposed to a condition with management options.

Also, this is something for you and your wife to discuss together. Not something for you to solve on your own and then bring to her to do. If she doesn’t feel safe managing her condition with other drugs for the sake of having kids, you have to honor that.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would talk to her doctor about this and then find peace with somebody in the church with what the doctors suggest. Getting medical advice on the internet for something as personal and highly specific as how epilepsy manifests in your wife is highly unwise. What works in terms of medication and safety for one does not even come close to providing a solution for all in all situations.

If it did, we’d speak of how epilepsy is a curable condition, as opposed to a condition with management options.

Also, this is something for you and your wife to discuss together. Not something for you to solve on your own and then bring to her to do. If she doesn’t feel safe managing her condition with other drugs for the sake of having kids, you have to honor that.
Agreed on all of this. What works for one person may not work for another. Epilepsy is a very individualized condition, though talking to doctors about concerns often can help. In many cases, it is very possible to have children safely, but certainly it is different in some extent for everyone. Speaking to the neurologist and praying is crucial in this.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may want to look into Natural Family Planning while your wife is adjusting to her medications. My husband and I have prayerfully entered with God into a time of deciding that having children right now is not right for us (as much as we love and want children).

While she is adjusting to her new meds and the doctor is figuring out what works for her, this would be a great way to make sure that she doesn't get pregnant. We have been doing this method for 6 and half years now - I've learned so much about my body as well, which is a blessing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums