Health Care Sharing Ministry Sharity Leaves 10K Families with Millions in Unpaid Bills

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's a rather simple, open question. Not leading in any way.

Your posts lead me to believe that the existence of this thread offends you.

Doesn't it?

Loaded/leading question:
What is a Loaded Question? | Examples of a Loaded Question or Complex Question Fallacy - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com

You:
Are you more or less offended by this thread than by the scam?
Note the options given are simply "more" or "less" offense. Directly answering the question either way acknowledges the offense you presuppose in the question... classic loaded question fallacy. And that's just one of the logical fallacies in your bogus questions. So in response:
A) I don't play these silly gotcha games.

B) my questions were not directed at you.

C) it's not about, never has been about offense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I see.

You seem very knowledgeable on this topic. Perhaps you could share some positive Christian-based alternatives with us then?

There is nothing unchristian about health insurance. Health insurance comes with regulation and financial guarantees that are not available from faith-based medical cost pooling, making them less risky. So choose the health insurance plan of your choice. There are many available.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Around 10,000 families whose faith led them to “share in one another’s medical expense burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ” have instead ended up with unpaid bills totaling over $50 million after their health care sharing ministry shut down.

Sharity Ministries, formerly known as Trinity HealthShare, filed for bankruptcy and then started the liquidation process last year. There are so many outstanding claims that it’s unlikely that members will receive the reimbursements they’re owed.

The organization had faced challenges, class-action lawsuits, and cease and desist orders in several states, where regulators said it had been operating as an unauthorized insurance provider. A 2022 lawsuit from the state of California alleges Sharity denied the majority of claims and spent as little as 16 cents on premiums. Even the Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries called Sharity a “sham front group” for the for-profit health care management company Aliera.

Whether a scam or they just didn't understand how medical insurance works....they showed a valuable lesson.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟906,275.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
In name only... and that's the point.

That’s the majority of Christianity.

The Bible itself tells of the many and the few.

Still, it’s important to highlight things like this because so many vulnerable people are preyed upon, especially in America, and especially by professing Christians. The host of ‘televangelist’ millionaires is another example.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing unchristian about health insurance. Health insurance comes with regulation and financial guarantees that are not available from faith-based medical cost pooling, making them less risky. So choose the health insurance plan of your choice. There are many available.
Wow, profound advice.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That’s the majority of Christianity.

The Bible itself tells of the many and the few.

Still, it’s important to highlight things like this because so many vulnerable people are preyed upon, especially in America, and especially by professing Christians. The host of ‘televangelist’ millionaires is another example.
I thought Jesus was the judge of such things. Good to know He has some help.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Wow, profound advice.

Yes, I realize it's just common sense. But apparently at least 10,000 families didn't have any, or it got switched off when this firm used Jesus in its sales pitch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I realize it's just common sense. But apparently at least 10,000 families didn't have any, or it got switched off when this firm used Jesus in its sales pitch.
Except there actually are Christian health care plans with decades of experience and positive results out there. You must have missed that in your extensive research to help out us Christians. So maybe, just maybe, the answer isn't for Christians to avoid things that use Jesus in their sales pitch, but for them to know that some people will abuse that, same as anything else, and they should do thorough research on whatever the topic. Unlike what you did here.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Except there actually are Christian health care plans with decades of experience and positive results out there. You must have missed that in your extensive research to help out us Christians.

That's probably true, especially since most of them reject people with pre-existing conditions. Healthy people make excellent donors for these charities. Nevertheless, these plans are inherently (and by design) riskier than actual health insurance.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Around 10,000 families whose faith led them to “share in one another’s medical expense burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ” have instead ended up with unpaid bills totaling over $50 million after their health care sharing ministry shut down.

Sharity Ministries, formerly known as Trinity HealthShare, filed for bankruptcy and then started the liquidation process last year. There are so many outstanding claims that it’s unlikely that members will receive the reimbursements they’re owed.

The organization had faced challenges, class-action lawsuits, and cease and desist orders in several states, where regulators said it had been operating as an unauthorized insurance provider. A 2022 lawsuit from the state of California alleges Sharity denied the majority of claims and spent as little as 16 cents on premiums. Even the Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries called Sharity a “sham front group” for the for-profit health care management company Aliera.

Do your due diligence before selecting any company. Very easy to do today with everything online.

"On May 7, the Texas Department of Insurance said it would seek a cease and desist order in administrative court against Aliera for misleading customers into thinking they were buying insurance and blurring the line between the for-profit parent company and its affiliated nonprofit health-share ministry. The company countered members know exactly what they are getting.

Still, the similarities between traditional health insurance plans and the products Aliera promotes can be striking. Aliera’s website touts individual and family coverage that includes “primary care physician visits, pharmaceuticals, basic eye and hearing examines (sic), both in- and out-patient procedures, extended hospitalizations, urgent care needs, labs and diagnostic procedures.” Plans come in gold, silver and bronze, using the same metal designations as insurance plans offered under the Affordable Care Act’s exchange.

Aliera, however, is under no legal obligation to pay claims. In fact, authorities allege just 20 cents out of every dollar collected in member fees appear to go to medical bills. That’s the exact opposite of Affordable Care Act rules that generally require insurers devote 80 percent of what they collect in premiums to covering health care costs."

In bad faith? Cost-share ministry puzzles patients - Houston Chronicle, 7/7/2019

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Except there actually are Christian health care plans with decades of experience and positive results out there. You must have missed that in your extensive research to help out us Christians. So maybe, just maybe, the answer isn't for Christians to avoid things that use Jesus in their sales pitch, but for them to know that some people will abuse that, same as anything else, and they should do thorough research on whatever the topic. Unlike what you did here.
Yes, there are. This particular one was not legit nor following the laws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd show you my browser history, but you're being intentionally difficult and unpleasant, and don't seem interested in the facts, anyway. Just interested in attacking me.
Now you are a mind reader too? Interesting that I haven't seen any of these facts you mention outside of the OP, only opinions and broad generalizations. Tell me how can I be uninterested in something you haven't shared?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Tell me how can I be uninterested in something you haven't shared?

Because you didn't ask for information. You asked whether I had researched the information.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0