It Looks Like Health Insurance, But It's Not. 'Just Trust God,' Buyers Are Told.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It Looks Like Health Insurance, But It's Not. 'Just Trust God,' Buyers Are Told.
Eight-year-old Blake Collie was at the swimming pool when he got a frightening headache. His parents rushed him to the emergency room only to learn he had a brain aneurysm. Blake spent nearly two months in the hospital.

His family did not have traditional health insurance. "We could not afford it," said his father, Mark Collie, a freelance photographer in Washington, N.C.

Instead, they pay about $530 a month through a Christian health care sharing organization to pay members' medical bills. But the group capped payments for members at $250,000, almost certainly far less than the final tally of Blake's mounting medical bills.

"Just trust God," the nonprofit group, Samaritan Ministries, in Peoria, Ill., said in a statement about its coverage, and advises its members that "there is no coverage, no guarantee of payment."

More than one million Americans, struggling to cope with the rising cost of health insurance, have joined such groups, attracted by prices that are far lower than the premiums for policies that must meet strict requirements, like guaranteed coverage for pre-existing conditions, established by the Affordable Care Act. The groups say they permit people of a common religious or ethical belief to share medical costs, and many were grandfathered in under the federal health care law mainly through a religious exemption.

These Christian nonprofit groups offer far lower rates because they are not classified as insurance and are under no legal obligation to pay medical claims. They generally decline to cover people with pre-existing illnesses. They can set limits on how much their members will pay, and they can legally refuse to cover treatments for specialties like mental health.

Pay less for no coverage!

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
According to the OP, Blake's family thought that his medical bills would be paid. But, the organization fudged saying they never guaranteed payment. Sounds like theft to me. Theft by deception.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The groups market themselves as if they are insurance, but they are unregulated groups that do not provide adequate coverage.

From the article:

Families who have joined the groups recount winding up with medical bills not covered by the ministries, with no legal way to appeal decisions to reject coverage for care. Some groups ask their members to push hospitals and doctors to write off their bills rather than use members' money to pay their expenses.

"These plans offer a false sense of security," said Jenny Chumbley Hogue, who runs an insurance agency in the north Dallas area of Texas. She refuses to offer them to her clients.

Several states have taken action against one ministry they say has deceived people about what they are buying. "The nature of what we're hearing from consumers around the state is absolutely heart breaking," said Kate Harris, chief deputy insurance commissioner in Colorado, one of the states that is trying to prevent the ministry from operating there.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
People need to know up front what they're getting into before they sign on. But if they are fully informed, shouldn't be anything wrong with it.
Agree to a point. Obviously the family in the OP was either misled or they misunderstood the limit.Also the organization reportedly SAID there was no guarantee of payment. IMHO that is just WRONG!

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's like nobody ever read The Rainmaker.

Heck, they made a movie about it. And it even starred Matt Damon and Claire Danes, for crying out loud. Good little movie too. Not the best of all the Grisham movies but still pretty solid.
And, people let other people make their decisions for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend who is self-employed that uses a similar plan. So far it’s covered everything, even a major incident. So it looks as if not all of these groups operate the same way.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have a friend who is self-employed that uses a similar plan. So far it’s covered everything, even a major incident. So it looks as if not all of these groups operate the same way.
There should at least be a uniform standard of operation for all such groups.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There should at least be a uniform standard of operation for all such groups.
I wouldn’t disagree.

And let’s be honest. Just because something has “Christian” attached to it doesn’t necessarily make it so.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to the OP, Blake's family thought that his medical bills would be paid. But, the organization fudged saying they never guaranteed payment. Sounds like theft to me. Theft by deception.

Where in the article di it say that Blake's bills were not paid by the organization? What I saw was that the author speculated that the total bills would exceed $250,000 which is the cap this particular organization has set for reimbursement. That the organization advises people that "there is no coverage, no guarantee of payment". I assume from the way it is placed in the article that this happens when they sign up. People sign up for this to save money gambling that they won't need more funds than what they will receive if they need health care. though I find doing that unwise, I do not only not see a need to outlaw a voluntary relationship between consenting parties, I find the idea of doing so something grossly authoritarian. If an organization defrauds anyone that, in itself, is already illegal. Outlawing a voluntarily entered into agreement seems an overreaction to the possibility one of the parties to such an agreement may be dishonest. Especially as the dishonesty would be prosecutable as it is. If we were to outlaw any voluntarily entered into agreement based upon the fact one party might possibly decide to defraud the other we could not have any voluntarily entered into agreements as that type of dishonesty is always a possibility . No marriage, no home improvement contracts, no retail sales etc. etc.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Winston Churchill said: "The Americans will always do the right thing ---- after all other possibilities have been tried and found wanting".

I am sure that sooner or later the USA will move to a universal single payer medical care system similar to that in Canada. It will be opposed, perhaps even violently so, by the vested interests but the people will demand it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Winston Churchill said: "The Americans will always do the right thing ---- after all other possibilities have been tried and found wanting".

I am sure that sooner or later the USA will move to a universal single payer medical care system similar to that in Canada. It will be opposed perhaps even violently so by the vested interests but the people will demand it.

The figures quoted in the OP are absolutely astonishing to me.

Upvote 0