Health Care Sharing Ministry Sharity Leaves 10K Families with Millions in Unpaid Bills

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Around 10,000 families whose faith led them to “share in one another’s medical expense burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ” have instead ended up with unpaid bills totaling over $50 million after their health care sharing ministry shut down.

Sharity Ministries, formerly known as Trinity HealthShare, filed for bankruptcy and then started the liquidation process last year. There are so many outstanding claims that it’s unlikely that members will receive the reimbursements they’re owed.

The organization had faced challenges, class-action lawsuits, and cease and desist orders in several states, where regulators said it had been operating as an unauthorized insurance provider. A 2022 lawsuit from the state of California alleges Sharity denied the majority of claims and spent as little as 16 cents on premiums. Even the Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries called Sharity a “sham front group” for the for-profit health care management company Aliera.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sucks, they should have just become an insurance company. My brother used something similar for his family, don't know if it was this one. I thought he was crazy since he had to do the shopping around for pricing instead of an insurance company, and I don't think that is something you want to do looking for cancer treatment.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,433,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Around 10,000 families whose faith led them to “share in one another’s medical expense burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ” have instead ended up with unpaid bills totaling over $50 million after their health care sharing ministry shut down.

Sharity Ministries, formerly known as Trinity HealthShare, filed for bankruptcy and then started the liquidation process last year. There are so many outstanding claims that it’s unlikely that members will receive the reimbursements they’re owed.

The organization had faced challenges, class-action lawsuits, and cease and desist orders in several states, where regulators said it had been operating as an unauthorized insurance provider. A 2022 lawsuit from the state of California alleges Sharity denied the majority of claims and spent as little as 16 cents on premiums. Even the Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries called Sharity a “sham front group” for the for-profit health care management company Aliera.

...insurance as a "ministry"? 1st red flag.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very sad but.. this can happen to anyone. I remember just now a preacher would always be pointing the finger at other preachers until God put the light on him. :) No he never recovered.

Does make you wonder WHY they really wanted to start this. Like most stories we tend to only hear one side and then RUN.. RUN with it haha

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What's the point of sharing this?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I see. It's to help us. Why don't you post information about other affinity scams then? Why single out the Christian one?

Well, for one, I enjoy seeing how Christians take care of each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,538.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I see. It's to help us. Why don't you post information about other affinity scams then? Why single out the Christian one?
You think this scam was christian?

Where in the bible is such behaviour condoned?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟494,538.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Is that…..is that victim blaming I see?
Victims? Please.

They wanted to share their wealth, and now they get to share their wealth.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟494,538.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I said nothing of the sort. Twice now you put words in my mouth with these ridiculous leading questions.
It's a rather simple, open question. Not leading in any way.

Your posts lead me to believe that the existence of this thread offends you.

Doesn't it?

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0