Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In September, the governments of the United States, Mexico, and Canada agreed to the terms of the U.S.M.C.A., the trade agreement that will replace NAFTA. The deal, Trump said, “will stop auto jobs from going overseas and bring back auto jobs that have already left.” But on November 26th, four days before the agreement was signed, G.M. announced that the last shift in Lordstown and four other locations would shut down by March. Brown called Trump again, this time to ask him to support a bill, the American Cars, American Jobs Act, which would diminish the benefits for outsourcing in the tax code and create a thirty-five-hundred-dollar credit for buying an American-made car. Brown recalled that Trump said, “ ‘You mean they shut down in Youngstown because, if they move overseas, they get fifty per cent off their taxes?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’ He said, ‘Where’d that come from?’ ‘I don’t know what to say, Mr. President, it’s your tax bill.’ ‘Oh. We should change that.’ ” Brown said that Trump committed three times on the phone to supporting his bill, but that he was not convinced that this private commitment would mean much. (The White House did not respond to requests for comment.)
Sherrod Brown Wants to Bring a Working-Class Ethos Back to the Democratic Party

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In September, the governments of the United States, Mexico, and Canada agreed to the terms of the U.S.M.C.A., the trade agreement that will replace NAFTA. The deal, Trump said, “will stop auto jobs from going overseas and bring back auto jobs that have already left.” But on November 26th, four days before the agreement was signed, G.M. announced that the last shift in Lordstown and four other locations would shut down by March. Brown called Trump again, this time to ask him to support a bill, the American Cars, American Jobs Act, which would diminish the benefits for outsourcing in the tax code and create a thirty-five-hundred-dollar credit for buying an American-made car. Brown recalled that Trump said, “ ‘You mean they shut down in Youngstown because, if they move overseas, they get fifty per cent off their taxes?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’ He said, ‘Where’d that come from?’ ‘I don’t know what to say, Mr. President, it’s your tax bill.’ ‘Oh. We should change that.’ ” Brown said that Trump committed three times on the phone to supporting his bill, but that he was not convinced that this private commitment would mean much. (The White House did not respond to requests for comment.)
Sherrod Brown Wants to Bring a Working-Class Ethos Back to the Democratic Party

It all looks like propaganda to me. It looks like neo-NAFTA by another name.

Time will tell.

Upvote 0