Has the Holy Spirit explicitly led you to keep the Sabbath?

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to dishonour the OP so I might start another thread...

Oh pleAse do, this is interesting

Hope.I didnt.dishonour .the.OP ...I am feeling paranoid that I might have

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was trying to figure out if followers of Messiah were expected to keep the Sabbath holy, the Holy Spirit told me that God’s law is not abolished, and that followers of the Messiah need to be keeping the Sabbath holy.

How did he tell you? Through a dream? Vision? Audible voice?

I started to see all the false doctrine being taught that was based on a satanic perversion of Paul’s letters written to the different congregations.

the Spirit started to show me that Paul was not teaching disobedience to God’s law, nor did Paul go to church on Sunday, or celebrate Christmas and Easter, nor did any of the congregations he founded do those things.

How did he show you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some background first: I believe in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as a second experience (check out this thread to know why if interested). I've also watched tons of testimonies about supernatural experiences of all sorts, and in particular I know people who testify about being led by the Holy Spirit via: audible voice, dreams, visions, someone else prophesying to them, etc. (I can share links to specific testimonies for anyone interested in examples btw.)

Now to the point: Imagine that someone is filled with the Holy Spirit and led by the Holy Spirit 24/7. Let's call that person X. If X is expected to keep the Sabbath by commandment but he currently doesn't, logic tells us that the Holy Spirit would convict X of his sin, lead him to repentance and guide him to embrace Sabbath keeping (just like you would expect for any other sin).

So my question is: have you ever been explicitly led by the Holy Spirit to keep the Sabbath?

sure, personally... amen!.

And in Holy Spirit inspired scripture as well.

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the commandments of God"
Rev 14:12 "the saints KEEP the commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"
James 2 "to break one is to break them all"
Eph 6:1-2 where "the first commandment WITH a promise" in that still-valid unit of TEN - is the 5th commandment.
Because for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth -- even ALL mankind will be doing it "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

Sola Scriptura testing of all doctrine and practice Gal 1:6-9 Acts 17:11

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How did he tell you? Through a dream? Vision? Audible voice?

God speaks to me every day through His Holy Spirit. Romans 8:16.

IF He chose the Numbers 6:12 method of "dreams and visions" -- then I would be a prophet. I never claim that.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Are these two commandments or not?

1 John 3:23-24
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.

These two commandments are not the ten so what gives?

God is not "limited to TEN" as we see in the case of the 1050 commands in the NT.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Personal testimony...

I had rocks thrown at me on the sabbath in the Jewish quarter in Jerusalem for carrying a bag, and was asked why I was not in synagogue...

Sorry to hear that..

Jim Jones also did some bad things to other people.

Always said when I hear that someone has behaved poorly.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There are hundreds of threads that debate Gods Sabbath and Gods laws, the OP is asking about personal testimonies. Lets please leave this one to answer the OP only if you have a personal testimony.

Romans 8:16 - everyone "could" have a personal testimony in that regard.

Does that living voice of the Holy Spirit lead you to dismiss the Word of God - or obey it? :)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello Bob.

Do you believe that you obey the commandments?

Hi David -

I believe that Rev 12 says that Satan is the accuser of the brethren and that Rev 14:12 says the saints are instructed to keep the Commandments of God - as we also see in 1 Cor 7:19.

Thanks for asking.

How about you? Are you in favor of not taking God's name in vain Ex 20:7? Even though it is not quoted verbatim in the NT - and is one of the Ten in the Old Covenant?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi David -

I believe that Rev 12 says that Satan is the accuser of the brethren and that Rev 14:12 says the saints are instructed to keep the Commandments of God - as we also see in 1 Cor 7:19.

Thanks for asking.

How about you? Are you in favor of not taking God's name in vain Ex 20:7? Even though it is not quoted verbatim in the NT - and is one of the Ten?
You did not say whether you actually obey the commandments?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You did not say whether you actually obey the commandments?

I did mention that Satan is the accuser of the brethren though.

Are you wanting to know if I am sinless?

Hi David -
I believe that .. Rev 14:12 says the saints are instructed to keep the Commandments of God - as we also see in 1 Cor 7:19.

You did not answer whether you are in favor of not taking God's name in vain Ex 20:7 even though it is not quoted verbatim in the NT and is one of the commandments of God under the Old Covenant. Are you going to answer?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I did mention that Satan is the accuser of the brethren though.
Good to know but extraneous to the conversation.
Are you wanting to know if I am sinless?
Since you promote the ten commandments (the law), I was wondering whether you practice what you preach?

King David was besotted with the law but was a heavy duty law breaker. I have an opinion on the law; that we are not good people but lawbreakers by nature.

For the law grants the knowledge of sin!

So if I ever met someone who said that they obeyed the law. I would instantly know that I had met a confessed law breaker.

The law condemns and rightly so. There are no winners when the law of sin and death prevails.

So I am a strong advocate of saved by grace. Specifically the first commandment.

This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.

So we follow a different set of commandments. Your first commandment is to not take YHWH in vain. Whereas my first commandment is to believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

We are from different worlds and we will see who wins in the end.

Upvote 0

clefty

Sep 17, 2020
Chattanooga
✟16,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good to know but extraneous to the conversation.Since you promote the ten commandments (the law), I was wondering whether you practice what you preach?

King David was besotted with the law but was a heavy duty law breaker. I have an opinion on the law; that we are not good people but lawbreakers by nature.

For the law grants the knowledge of sin!

So if I ever met someone who said that they obeyed the law. I would instantly know that I had met a confessed law breaker.

The law condemns and rightly so. There are no winners when the law of sin and death prevails.

So I am a strong advocate of saved by grace. Specifically the first commandment.

So we follow a different set of commandments. Your first commandment is to not take YHWH in vain. Whereas my first commandment is to believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

We are from different worlds and we will see who wins in the end.

Even Satan believes...but does NOT obey Him His Way...

You love others as He loved us? Yes? JUST AS?...or do you love like the world or Buddhists or Muslims or Hindus or Catholics or Protestants or Jews?...

this is Love of Him that you do His commandments and they are NOT burdensome...ask John...he knows if you claim to abide IN HIM you must live as He did...

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You love others as He loved us? Yes? JUST AS?...or do you love like the world or Buddhists or Muslims or Hindus or Catholics or Protestants or Jews?...

this is Love of Him that you do His commandments and they are NOT burdensome...ask John...he knows if you claim to abide IN HIM you must live as He did...
The difference is that we know what HIS commandments are and we understand that they do not include the defunct ritual commands given only to the now defunct Israel.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't see anywhere in these scriptures that say "Jews of Israel, keep My commandments"

Mathew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus said "If you love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15

Revelations 14:12 12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Revelations 22: 12- 15
12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”
14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

I don't think God is coming back to save the Jews only. The Bible says we are saved if we believe in Him, love Him and keep His commandments. God saves us by grace but asked us repeatedly throughout the Bible to obey, and we obey because we love Him.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see anywhere in these scriptures that say "Jews of Israel, keep My commandments"

Mathew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus said "If you love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15

Revelations 14:12 12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Revelations 22: 12- 15
12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”
14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

I don't think God is coming back to save the Jews only. The Bible says we are saved if we believe in Him, love Him and keep His commandments. God saves us by grace but asked us repeatedly throughout the Bible to obey, and we obey because we love Him.
Please identify what you believe are "His commandments". Is Jesus God?

Another thing, did you forget that Jesus identified My commandments in Jn 15:10 -13?
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Please identify what you believe are "His commandments". Is Jesus God?

Another thing, did you forget that Jesus identified My commandments in Jn 15:10 -13?
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

So now My and His are different? really? The information is out there, you know this. I'll pray for you.

Upvote 0

clefty

Sep 17, 2020
Chattanooga
✟16,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The difference is that we know what HIS commandments are
still no difference as Satan KNOWS what His commandments are too...IS WHY he hates them and those that keep them...and wishes to keep us from keeping them...

Is why Yahushua even had to “steal back” what Pharisees had done to His Sabbath...as if they were NOT made for all man but just the Jews...

and we understand that they do not include the defunct ritual commands
ritual command? It is a day of rest...given BEFORE sin and Israel its Jews...

given only to the now defunct Israel.
a sabbath keeping remains for His people Heb 4:9...known as Israel as He gave THIS ekklesia His living oracles at Sinai...

that is six days work and a seventh day rest...made Holy by Him for Us...His cadence of time given to MAN PRIOR sin...which remains when restored His people will again be “where I AM there ye may be also”

and finally when this detour of sin is over “on earth as it is in heaven” His times and Law of His kingdom “not of this world” when His Will will be done...Just as His Son did and instructed we do as He did...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

You have the wrong set of commandments.

Romans 7:6
But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter (Sabbath obedience).

Galatians 3:2-3
This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law (Sabbath obedience), or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh (legal observance)?

You hold to saved by grace but live life in the attempt at perfecting the flesh, through a legal obedience.

Can you receive Jesus Christ through a determined obedience to the law? Definitely not. Can you perfect your flesh with the ten commandments (the law)? Of course not.

• Agree
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0