Has the Holy Spirit explicitly led you to keep the Sabbath?

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some background first: I believe in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as a second experience (check out this thread to know why if interested). I've also watched tons of testimonies about supernatural experiences of all sorts, and in particular I know people who testify about being led by the Holy Spirit via: audible voice, dreams, visions, someone else prophesying to them, etc. (I can share links to specific testimonies for anyone interested in examples btw.)

Now to the point: Imagine that someone is filled with the Holy Spirit and led by the Holy Spirit 24/7. Let's call that person X. If X is expected to keep the Sabbath by commandment but he currently doesn't, logic tells us that the Holy Spirit would convict X of his sin, lead him to repentance and guide him to embrace Sabbath keeping (just like you would expect for any other sin).

So my question is: have you ever been explicitly led by the Holy Spirit to keep the Sabbath?

not led to keep it as the Jews would keep it, no. In fAct when I did try that way I kept failing Nd it got in the way of my relationship with God as it became a list of burdens instructed to keep. I was reminded that the Lords commands are not burdensome and stopped keeping it that way for a few years. Didn't do a Sabbath at all. Then in past year I keep being reminded of that commandment. Well I know that feast days are a foreshadow and Jesus is our true Sabbath but I still wondered about the Sabbath as a day. I spoke to a ChristiAn friend who is more mature than I am and he said that although not a salvation issue, God made Sabbath for us to rest and relax.

so now I am keeping it mostly as a restful day where is do very minimal housework and tend not to shop or pay bills etc. I do the bare minimum of a any kind of work. Just restful or pleasurable thi mg s. sometimes I catch up on sleep

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1.) I don't think there is anything wrong with worshipping, studying, and fellowship on other days of the week. I actually think its important to have devotion, prayer and studying Gods word everyday. But, we must also

keep the Sabbath holy as the commandment and scripture requires.

God says 1 John 2:4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, One way we get to know God is through the 4th Commandment.
Exodus 20:8-11
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

This is Gods special day that He blessed. We get to put away all the stresses from every day life and build and strengthen our relationship with Him.

2.) It was clear to me the Holy Sprit was leading me away from my sin. My soul is at peace now that I am keeping Gods law and sabbath. It was not before. God gives us the strength to do so. When we fall, get back up and pray for forgiveness and strength. What we can not do on our own we can do with Him when we seek Him with all our hearts. I was baptized at 12, but I fell for so long I think its important for me to be re-baptized. I have a much greater understanding now about the love of God, His grace and His commandments.

The Holy Spirit has also led me away from most of TV watching. It's hard to watch a movie these days even PG13 that does not break the 3rd commandment. “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

A year ago, if someone told me I would barley watch TV, I would not have believed it. Not that I watched a ton of TV but could not fall asleep without it on the background. Now I read the Bible before going to bed. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. When we really seek God He gives us the power for a real transformation.

I keep the Sabbath day differently to you, for me it is more about physical rest from everyday things but your testimony really blessed me. Thanks so much for sharing

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes .... have been gently convicted by the Holy Spirit since my teen years about the 4th commandment .... ignored the conviction for many many MANY years .... decided about 4 years ago to really buckle down and study His word for myself .... learned about the 7th day Sabbath ... found nowhere where it has been abolished, ... Jesus kept it ... the apostles kept it ... prayed about it .... started keeping it .... conviction is gone and am truly blessed by it.

I believe people are being gently convicted about it .... and that's why the question about it keeps coming up all the time. Also, no getting by it's right smack in the middle of the 10 commandments.

So people do question themselves .... I keep .... or do endeavor to keep the other 9 commandments ... so why not that one? Good question people! Listen to the still small voice. ;o)

May the Lord lead. Amen.

I don't believe Jesus abolished anything. Fulfilled them, so we can be saved by His sacrifice and atonement alone but not abolished.

I don't believe it affects whether I am saved or not but it is a question of "now I have been redeemed and saved to do a life of good works how do I best please God?" So I been pondering this, how can we keep. a Sabbath that pleases Him?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe Jesus abolished anything. Fulfilled them, so we can be saved by His sacrifice and atonement alone but not abolished.

I don't believe it affects whether I am saved or not but it is a question of "now I have been redeemed and saved to do a life of good works how do I best please God?" So I been pondering this, how can we keep. a Sabbath that pleases Him?

By entering into His Sabbath rest every day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Personal testimony...

I had rocks thrown at me on the sabbath in the Jewish quarter for carrying a bag, and was asked why I was not in synagogue...
I am sorry that happened but that is not what the question was of the OP.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I was testing to see if you had a sense of humour...

I will desist...
Oh I do, just all the treads of Sabbath bashing get to be a bit much. I can't imagine how Jesus must of felt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Collectively keeping Shabbat on the seventh day...
If they’re resting & gathering on the Sabbath, and not working/buying/selling, then I would say they are keeping the Sabbath. Would you?

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you share your testimony? How did Holy Spirit lead you to keep the Sabbath? Have you received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit?
I was baptized in elementary school, and turned away from the faith for many years, and in 2015, I was starting to be drawn back to Messiah & God.

I began to question the usual doctrines, such as the law being abolished, not being expected to keep the Sabbath holy, going to church on Sunday, celebrating Christmas & Easter, etc

I was trying to figure out if followers of Messiah were expected to keep the Sabbath holy, the Holy Spirit told me that God’s law is not abolished, and that followers of the Messiah need to be keeping the Sabbath holy.

I started to see all the false doctrine being taught that was based on a satanic perversion of Paul’s letters written to the different congregations.

the Spirit started to show me that Paul was not teaching disobedience to God’s law, nor did Paul go to church on Sunday, or celebrate Christmas and Easter, nor did any of the congregations he founded do those things.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personal testimony...

I had rocks thrown at me on the sabbath in the Jewish quarter in Jerusalem for carrying a bag, and was asked why I was not in synagogue...

You look Jewish. My sister.and father.also do very !much so. Turns out we do have some.Jewish blood.

Upvote 0