Harry Potter should not be watched by Christians.

Can Christians fill their minds with Harry Potter, Narnia, & other magic type fantasy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's funny how I get this all the time from Christians. You read the HP books? Oh ok I didn't know that you were a Satan worshiper. Did you know this bible verse and this verse and that verse condemn you to hell? Btw stay the hell away from our children you psycho, your leading them to witchcraft and the occult.
I think that people are numb and calloused to the methods of the enemy.
Is Harry Potter a good story? Yes... Is it dangerous... yes.. Is it fictional.. yes... Are all people going to run out and join a Wicca? Nope... but... it does glorify, normalize and promote witchcraft. It makes it seem like there is good and bad in witchcraft... However, there are no "white witches"... There is God... and there is anti God... Choose one.

• Winner
Reactions: BrotherD
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, you're just not following the arguments given. I gave an argument showing that fictional things can be sinful, such as Saw IV. You respond that HP and Saw IV aren't the same thing. Except they are insofar as my argument is concerned, for they are both fictional, and that is precisely what is at stake.

No one has said that the HP movies should be rated R. No one said that there is no difference at all between Saw IV and HP. No one said that all fantasy books are sinful. These are strawmen.

Scores of posts have claimed that because HP is fictional it cannot be problematic. See posts #2, #6, #8, #14, #16, #18, #22, #25.

No it is you who is not following. What you don't understand is that your argument is an exaggerated analogy.

It's like using Blue's Clues (a preschool show) and then referencing Saw or Jason as an example for the argument that fiction can be dangerous. All forms of entertainment (whether fiction or non-fiction) is targeted towards an audience, it is based on maturity level so there are forms of fiction that is just too mature in content for younger audiences. Saw and any form of horror/slasher flim isn't going to be harmful to an adult because adults are supposed to be mature enough to handle it's content, unless the adult is a psychopath.

These views are not good for christians. You have to take in note that every post we make is a resource for a seeker or a non-christians, and if we end up having posts that show such absurd views and understanding, they will more likely see the faith in christ to be just that.

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
So you think someone who reads Harry Potter is on the same level as someone who actually thinks their practicing real life witchcraft? Will reading a Brandon Sanderson book also put me in this category?

Don't know who Brandon Sanderson is. God says:

Ephesians 5:11 KJV — And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

2 Corinthians 6:14 KJV — Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Magic, wizards, sorcerers and spell casting is evil. Whether it be real or make believe. Remeber:

Ephesians 6:12 KJV — For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Our minds is what Satan wants and what we put in it, whether it be real or imagined can and will influence us. This i know. We should want to serve the Lord and not our flesh. The stakes are to high. May the grace of God give you light on this.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So let me get this strait.
No Sci Fi (Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr Who, ect)
No Fantasy, (Narnia, Marry Poppins, Dragon Quest, Wrinkle in Time, ect)
Nothing Depicting Sex (Would that include the bible? )
Nothing Depicting Violence / Murder (Would that include the bible? )
Anything else we should ban?

Reactions: GACfan
Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The best way to answer this is in the words of King David and the Preacher David Wilkerson in this short clip.

Psalm 101:3-8 King James Version (KJV)
3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
At first Rowling wanted to write something reflecting the major influences in her life C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.

However as time passed unfortunately it ended up being more about her life and the abusive relationships there in.

From what I've heard apparently her childhood home was almost a direct copy of Harry's in the books and weather its true or not she wrote the first book in conjunction with her youth pastor whom read and approved of or gave input along the way.

I think this is more of a personal preference.. if it offends your faith then avoid it. If it brings you faith then enjoy it.

Ive seen Christians tear each other apart over the nitpicky things throwing rocks through someone's window because this person believes this or partakes in this and I think we all need to go back to the bible and rethink ourselves a rich man through the eye of a needle situation.

I roomed with a theologian in college and when he saw my Lord of The Rings collection he came at me with fire and brimstone he even involved the Deans whom quickly confiscated my books and had me move into my own single room costing me a lot of more money.

You want to know the funny thing? This future pastor a man who bible bashes prays on his knees morning and night and can quote you any bible verse you ask. He absolutely adores Hellboy comics and Star Wars.... yeah he even took me to see the first Hellboy movie in theater and let me tell you I WAS UNCOMFORTABLE.

But I put up with it because at the time I considered him to be a very good friend and a man of strong faith and convictions. To this day he still berates me for my adoration of Tolkien.

Long story notwithstanding. Why do I love his writings? Because of the powerful message of forgiveness faith conviction and honor and it empowers me in my walk with God.

Boromir, easily my favorite character, is so convicted in his desire to protect his people that he nearly assaulted Frodo. Pleading with him, just one sin, please it can save my people! Just let me have this one chance of turning towards the darkness.

Who of us has not had a moment of weakness and then given an opportunity to truely stand tall for God. Boromir turned and faced the darkness and though it shot into him arrow after arrow of pain sorrow loathing he stood tall to save the life of another.

In the entirety of the series that will always be my favorite part. Showing that no matter how far you fall you can always turn that sin into a light that can save another person from the dark. And I always anticipate his ending no matter how many time's I have read it, it always soothes my struggling heart and makes me thank God for the inspiration he give to others writers who pour out their soul to give something to ours.

If its not for you. Ok, just say so and end it at that. When you begin to spread the hatred to others thats when you cross the line and continue to show others in the world some very good reasons for not believing in a God who's followers will continue to berate you for the things you struggle to change or believe in from birth.

The one's who berate others are wrong and those who bible bash as well. Personally speaking i was into the Lord of the Rings when i was deep in the world. I also liked Percy Jackson and other fantasy things. When i got to know the Lord's will and read his word, i became convicted. When a fellow brother in Christ see evil is he not supposed to rang the alarm? I notice the people on here who defends this "abomination" according to the God's word really love this particular sin. Romans 1:32 states:

Romans 1:32 KJV — Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

To even have pleasure in watching sin is worthy of death in God's word's. That is some strong language brother. The Lord says:

2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV — Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

We must all do this. Ask yourself this, If Jesus was hanging out with me, would I play Harry Potter or other movies/shows while he is here? Would he approve of it? He says:

John 12:48 KJV — He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Did not Christ speak through the apostles? The words that condemn these things will judge us for these things. I share all of this in love and not finger pointing.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
xLH4Eh-3BcpeIEp62bsWbCEjbiLUaqJpjMPo3CIR_IF2YtvUwgUtkf01Dt2K-tEa9uNER_QfeY2wa3j-cQ0CZ7vXGJYTfFBSD05VFYme5nHwdhrJKJRpamBL3A_HoFH9_R_R-vIYLSiA-PoeZikezvlMc6M
*Photo image of Trump*

I am more for the position (albeit an imperfect one) and not for the person's behavior. But I strive not to look to politics or to focus on it too much. The problems of this life are not solved by electing leaders.

12 "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." (Ephesians 6:12-13).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe the Harry Potter fantasy to be sin. Now if it made evil look good, I would agree with you, but it doesn't. It is fantasy and Harry Potter was good. Have you read it, or seen it? Many Christian writers use magical fantasy too. Again, I ask you, did you hate the Wizard of Oz too? Do you think it led people into witchcraft? No; it was fiction: fantasy.

Sorcery is a very real sin today and it is still condemned by God. The movie attempts to make sorcery as something that is not bad but that it can be used for good. All forms of magic are evil. But I cannot force you to see this. Only God can reveal the truth to you on it if you are truly open to seeing it. Most people make entertainment today as an idol so it is hard for them to see wrong within these things.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OP you need to realise Harry Potter was fantasy. I took my two to tour the harry potter studios at Christmas last year. Does that make me a bad Christian? No.

Okay. Stop for a second and think about the worst kind of sin that you absolutely hate the most. Maybe it is abortion or the abuse of children or rape, or drunkenness. I don't know what sin you hate the most. But what I would like for you to do is picture that sin you hate the most and now imagine that sin being promoted in a movie as if it was something neutral and not bad or evil. This is what Harry Potter does. It takes a sin that is very real today and very real to God and it attempts to say that it is neutral and okay and that magic or sorcery can be used for good. The Bible condemns the sin of witchcraft. If you lived in the Old Testament times, and you were among the Israelites at the right time, you would see them put to death those who were witches. Now, do you think it would be okay if they fantasized about the very thing that they sought to destroy? Surely not. If we hate sin, we are going to want to put that sin away out of our lives and anything that closely resembles it. Just because a person wraps up that real sin in a fantasy setting with a fictional book, movie, or comic, etc. it does not change the nature of the sin itself that is being promoted.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So Christians should not watch or read anything fictional, but only historically accurate texts??

What do you think Jesus meant in Matthew 16:24?
What do you think John meant in 1 John 2:15-17?

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No it is you who is not following. What you don't understand is that your argument is an exaggerated analogy.

My argument is not an analogy at all. It's a counterexample that proves fictional works can be sinful.

These views are not good for christians. You have to take in note that every post we make is a resource for a seeker or a non-christians, and if we end up having posts that show such absurd views and understanding, they will more likely see the faith in christ to be just that.

And if we end up providing fallacious reasoning that is not responsible to the truth we just look like ideological agenda setters. I don't care how much you like Harry Potter. The idea that because it is fictional it isn't sinful is blatantly false. If you want to defend Harry Potter you will have to do so with an argument that is actually valid instead of merely rationalizing a personal preference.

This is such an interesting case because the "fundamentalist" is presenting a substantial argument and the "intelligentsia" is basically responding with, "I like Harry Potter so it can't be bad!" It's the same thing with these threads every three months.

• Winner
Reactions: David Kent
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"God never needed to resort to fantastical imaginations to prove his point"

"God makes strong distinctions between fantasy and reality, fantasy being a sin and abomination"

And being in torment and burning in Hell, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in Heaven. “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented burning in these flames.’ Luke 16:23‭-‬24

Jesus condemned the sin of looking at a woman in lust and related to the physical act of adultery. He said that looking upon a woman in lust can lead to one being cast bodily into hell fire (See: Matthew 5:28-30).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's funny how I get this all the time from Christians. You read the HP books? Oh ok I didn't know that you were a Satan worshiper. Did you know this bible verse and this verse and that verse condemn you to hell? Btw stay the hell away from our children you psycho, your leading them to witchcraft and the occult.

The more a person knows God's Word, and the closer they grow in their walk with the Lord, the more God will talk to their heart in putting away the sinful things of this world. Try reading Matthew 16:24, and 1 John 2:15-17 for starters.

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Christians condemning other Christians over Harry Potter and other fantasy/fiction books is simply a pious holier-than-thou attitude and it should be ignored. It reminds me of the Pharisees in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians condemning other Christians over Harry Potter and other fantasy/fiction books is nothing more than a sanctimonious holier-than-thou attitude. It reminds me of the Pharisees in the Bible.

The whole "holier than thou" attitude is pretty hypocritical in my opinion unless you have no baseline standard of morality that you adhere to. Most people today are not Sociopaths and or do not have a concept of morality that they hold on to. Surely if there was no morality today, then criminals could roam free and rape and kill people as we try to enjoy a nice walk in the park. If there was no standard of holy or right living on anything, society itself would crumble.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians condemning other Christians over Harry Potter and other fantasy/fiction books is simply a pious holier-than-thou attitude and it should be ignored. It reminds me of the Pharisees in the Bible.

As for the Pharisees: Jesus condemned them not because they desired to live holy, but because they ignored the weightier matters of the Law like love, justice, faith, and mercy (See: Matthew 23:23, and Luke 11:42). Jesus said that our righteousness must exceed the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees otherwise we will not enter the kingdom of heaven (See: Matthew 5:20). This was said as a part of his sermon on the mount that focused heavily on righteous living and not a sin and still be saved type belief that many Christians today push and or promote.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's important to keep from being absurd. Narnia was written in opposite as to what we are talking about here. It is based on Christ... How many are aware of that.. yet, there it is.

Same with Harry potter, it is hidden, but there for those that can see it. Blues Clues is not going to turn your child to evil.. It's not written like that.

However, who is the most malleable, the most impressionable, the most vulnerable and the most blind to the wolf in sheep's clothing... if not the youth of our world.

It is frowned upon to have kids dress up as "cowboys and Indians" for the picture it paints. Guns are real... but are not always used for evil and hurt...

Then sell the same child a cape of invisibility and a magic wand, spell book and it's all harmless... I am not so sure. Next thing it's a Ouija board or tarot cards which are very real and very dangerous and have absolutely no righteous purpose. The kids won't even suspect a thing..

If Satan was all out front and obvious... he would not be called the great deceiver.

I think we must raise our kids to be aware of this. Watching Harry Potter can be a great opportunity to show them how stories like this can be entertaining but educate them on the evils of witchcraft and teach them about things in life that are out there to trap and deceive them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.