Harry Potter should not be watched by Christians.

Can Christians fill their minds with Harry Potter, Narnia, & other magic type fantasy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know about the rape; the thread was about the music, and witchcraft isn't real. Harry Potter is fiction

The whole Harry Potter is not bad because is fiction excuse does not work. Jesus condemned the mind sin of lust (Which is fantasy) in Matthew 5:28-30. We are told to cast down imaginations and lead every thought captive in obedience to Christ Jesus in 2 Corinthians 10:5. Harry Potter is the glorification of witchcraft. God condemned witchcraft heavily in the Old Testament. To think about something sinful in a fantasy way does not make it any less sinful. Is cartoon inappropriate content okay? Surely not. Just because it is pure fantasy does not undo the fact that sin is being pushed or communicated upon the viewer. It's wrong. Harry Potter is a promotion of witchcraft in a fantasy setting.

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The whole Harry Potter is not bad because is fiction excuse does not work. Jesus condemned the mind sin of lust (Which is fantasy) in Matthew 5:28-30. We are told to cast down imaginations and lead every thought captive in obedience to Christ Jesus in 2 Corinthians 10:5. Harry Potter is the glorification of witchcraft. God condemned witchcraft heavily in the Old Testament. To think about something sinful in a fantasy way does not make it any less sinful. Is cartoon inappropriate content okay? Surely not. Just because it is pure fantasy does not undo the fact that sin is being pushed or communicated upon the viewer. It's wrong. Harry Potter is a promotion of witchcraft in a fantasy setting.
There is no inappropriate content in Harry Potter. And do you not know the difference between fiction and reality?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no inappropriate content in Harry Potter. And do you not know the difference between fiction and reality?

inappropriate content and witchcraft are equally worthy of condemnation by God in His eyes. If you lived during the time of the Old Testament, and if you were to see a person commit witchcraft, they were supposed to be killed by God's people for such a sin. Today, witchcraft is fed to us hundreds of times on TV as make believe and thus it makes us think it is not real when this sin is still very real in our present day. Cartoon inappropriate content is pure fantasy. Yet, you would not promote or watch this (I hope) because you know it is pure evil and sinful. The same should be true with Harry Potter. Both are serious sins in God's eyes and if they are even promoted in a fantasy setting, they are pushing real sins. While the setting is fantasy, the sin being pushed is very real. The enemy can put sinful thoughts and ideas into people's minds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We cannot take something that is real in the spiritual world and declare it is not real just because we write it off as fantasy in a book, or movie, or comic, etc. We cannot change the reality of sin just because we declare it to be fantasy. Sin can still be promoted and effect people in the real world within something that is fantasy. Cartoon inappropriate content and Dungeons and Dragons proves this point. If sinful thoughts and or ideas fill a person's mind, they can very easily start to do those kinds of sins themselves physically. I had a desire to once cast a real spell as a part of my influence of playing Dungeons and Dragons. I am thankful to the Lord that nothing came of it and I gave up quickly.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
inappropriate content and witchcraft are equally worthy of condemnation by God in His eyes. If you lived during the time of the Old Testament, and if you were to see a person commit witchcraft, they were supposed to be killed by God's people for such a sin. Today, witchcraft is fed to us hundreds of times on TV as make believe and thus it makes us think it is not real when this sin is still very real in our present day. Cartoon inappropriate content is pure fantasy. Yet, you would not promote or watch this (I hope) because you know it is pure evil and sinful. The same should be true with Harry Potter. Both are serious sins in God's eyes and if they are even promoted in a fantasy setting, they are pushing real sins. While the setting is fantasy, the sin being pushed is very real. The enemy can put sinful thoughts and ideas into people's minds.
Why are you comparing Harry Potter to inappropriate content?
And I don't know anyone who practiced witchcraft after reading Harry Potter. It is fiction. It is also the age old story of good vs. evil, but you have the right to your opinion, as do I.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why are you comparing Harry Potter to inappropriate content?
And I don't know anyone who practiced witchcraft after reading Harry Potter. It is fiction. It is also the age old story of good vs. evil, but you have the right to your opinion, as do I.
I am comparing the two because they both are promoting REAL sins in a fantasy setting that God condemns. Again, Jesus condemned the mind sin of fantasizing after a woman in Matthew 5:28-30. Jesus was essentially saying that this was just as condemning as the physical act of adultery. Lusting after a woman can condemn with hellfire just as the physical act of adultery. No doubt, if somebody fantasizes about witchcraft it would be just as condemning as doing the physical act of witchcraft.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Harry potter is 'FICTION'! Yes! It is!

But the sin they are promoting is real. Don't kid yourself. People have been influenced to practice real witchcraft on the account of watching Harry Potter. So this means that the sin being pushed upon them is real. They are demonic ideas being pushed upon people.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Personally speaking, I think the arguments against Harry Potter are siriusly riddikulus. I allowed my children to read the Harry Potter books and watch the movies. Needless to say, not a single one of them has ever expressed the slightest interest in practicing witchcraft. And during the twenty-two years of reading these books, none of my children have ever declared themselves to be a wizard or witch. My children and I enjoy these books because we're capable of distinguishing fiction from reality.

Ironically, many of the same Christians who complain about Harry Potter have never actually read the books themselves. In addition, many of these Christians read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Chronicles of Narnia (and have watched the movies). As we all know, there is magic and wizards, and magical creatures in these books as well. However, these Christians don't condemn these books.

On a side note, have you ever read Looking for God in Harry Potter? It's a very good book, IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do not have to watch the movies or read the books, but do not tell me I cannot.

Well said.

Dumbledore.gif

Don't let the Muggles get you down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am comparing the two because they both are promoting REAL sins in a fantasy setting that God condemns. Again, Jesus condemned the mind sin of fantasizing after a women in Matthew 5:28-30. Jesus was essentially saying that this was just as condemning as the physical act of adultery. Lusting after a woman can condemn with hellfire just as the physical act of adultery. No doubt, if somebody fantasizes about witchcraft it would be just as condemning as doing the physical act of witchcraft.
That is a stretch. Again, I don't know anyone who practiced witchcraft from reading Harry Potter. Everyone knows it is fiction, imagination, fantasy. Who doesn't want to fly? Plus the themes in it are good....good overcomes evil, friendship, hardship, perseverance, etc .Did you hate the Wizard of Oz too?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is a stretch. Again, I don't know anyone who practiced witchcraft from reading Harry Potter. Everyone knows it is fiction, imagination, fantasy. Who doesn't want to fly? Plus the themes in it are good....good overcomes evil, friendship, hardship, perseverance, etc .Did you hate the Wizard of Oz too?

What is silly is that you would not say this involving other sins that you really hate. Well, at least I hope there are certain sins you find offensive.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is silly is that you would not say this involving other sins that you really hate. Well, at least I hope there are certain sins you find offensive.
I do not believe the Harry Potter fantasy to be sin. Now if it made evil look good, I would agree with you, but it doesn't. It is fantasy and Harry Potter was good. Have you read it, or seen it? Many Christian writers use magical fantasy too. Again, I ask you, did you hate the Wizard of Oz too? Do you think it led people into witchcraft? No; it was fiction: fantasy.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Well said. It is occult to the core and off limits to anyone who values their walk with Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.