Harry Potter should not be watched by Christians.

Can Christians fill their minds with Harry Potter, Narnia, & other magic type fantasy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The whole Harry Potter is not bad because is fiction excuse does not work. Jesus condemned the mind sin of lust (Which is fantasy) in Matthew 5:28-30. We are told to cast down imaginations and lead every thought captive in obedience to Christ Jesus in 2 Corinthians 10:5. Harry Potter is the glorification of witchcraft. God condemned witchcraft heavily in the Old Testament. To think about something sinful in a fantasy way does not make it any less sinful. Is cartoon inappropriate content okay? Surely not. Just because it is pure fantasy does not undo the fact that sin is being pushed or communicated upon the viewer. It's wrong. Harry Potter is a promotion of witchcraft in a fantasy setting.

I agree. Thus Saith the Lord:

Deuteronomy 18:10-14
10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.
14 For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do.

He clearly states that it is an abomination to him.

2 Corinthians 6:17 KJV — Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

We either love the Lord or our sin but we can't have both. The Lord is very clear in his word.

Malachi 3:6 KJV — For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fiction, not real. Do we pray and ask the Father to give us decrement? He wont say a word until we ask. So lets say someone comes to our door believing in some false god a different gospel. You know fiction.. not real. Are we to invite them in? No. If we do we then in GODS eyes partake in all they do.

"If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds."

Everything Christ said was based on a truth something real. And His words.. every letter is life. Sitting here thinking and.. I truly wonder.. whats happening to me? I never use to care about where I went what I watched or read. So strange or just right? Well the more I focus on Him.. even today I was just thinking about something that is bothering/hurting me and.. the song just started to play in side me "keep your eyes upon Jesus". Lol you know its Him..well I know His voice but its a song/thought that came from left field so to speak. I was NOT thinking anything about Jesus lol.

The GREAT I AM! Yeshua, Holy Spirit. Thats MY GOD! Thats MY Father! That still holds everything we see hear feel together. I don't get upset I hurt when I watch read things where my Father gets no glory no thanks not even a thought. Why would I watch read do anything that is never pleasing to Him. HAHA I see books all the time.. my wife LOVES to read. And? Nothing.. I look at books and.. ooh looks good.. ooh about SPACE! And.. I can't. Its not about Him in any way shape or form. I want to hear read about my Father. I don't know..since He found me.. at 9 or so. My prayer to this day.. I still pray "I want to be like you". Something about His love.. His compassion.. oh I so long for.

Then having this desire I have found so many that had such a powerful move of God in their lifes. I search and.. EVERYTHING in their life was ONLY God. Some..that is ALL the ever read. So if I wont do nor think something God is fully 100% against. Then I am also not going to watch it or read it. Like this.. I can think about the word of God and .. something is there..its just so BRIGHT! Then I think about some book.. and nothing.. dead no life what so ever. Some times very dark.

I think maybe asking the Father what He thinks about what we see hear read. Fact.. pick up ANY book watch ANY movie.. then listen? Yeah.. not a word from God. Its our free choice. Why are some of these things wrong? It opens a door to the enemy that then comes in to hurt GODS CHILD! Thats why. He loves us so much.. don't know about you but.. man I really got blessed by this.

Reactions: BrotherD
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's a real stretch to say that because God called fantasy about a woman a sin, that all fantasy is sin. God is presenting an ethic around sexuality, not fantasy. Your argument fails for that reason.

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a real stretch to say that because God called fantasy about a woman a sin, that all fantasy is sin. God is presenting an ethic around sexuality, not fantasy. Your argument fails for that reason.

I'm curious to know how many of these Christians who fuss about Harry Potter have watched The Wizard of Oz or Star Wars? How many of them have read The Hobbit, The LOTR, and Narnia? As a Christian, I refuse to succumb to any of the legalistic condemnations of fantasy and sci-fi books.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm curious to know how many of these Christians who fuss about Harry Potter have watched The Wizard of Oz or Star Wars? How many of them have read The Hobbit, The LOTR, and Narnia? As a Christian, I refuse to succumb to any of the legalistic condemnations of fantasy and sci-fi books.
thank you. It is fiction

• Friendly
Reactions: GACfan
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,236.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If Harry Potter were written for the sake of glorifying witchcraft I might agree with you. It seems to me that the story uses magic as an element to tell the story, rather than spread an agenda.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If Harry Potter were written for the sake of glorifying witchcraft I might agree with you. It seems to me that the story uses magic as an element to tell the story, rather than spread an agenda.
Growing up under the Church of England and royalty, I can imagine, the architecture, robes, incantations, rituals and the like had some effect on the mind behind the creation.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The whole Harry Potter is not bad because is fiction excuse does not work. Jesus condemned the mind sin of lust (Which is fantasy) in Matthew 5:28-30. We are told to cast down imaginations and lead every thought captive in obedience to Christ Jesus in 2 Corinthians 10:5. Harry Potter is the glorification of witchcraft. God condemned witchcraft heavily in the Old Testament. To think about something sinful in a fantasy way does not make it any less sinful. Is cartoon inappropriate content okay? Surely not. Just because it is pure fantasy does not undo the fact that sin is being pushed or communicated upon the viewer. It's wrong. Harry Potter is a promotion of witchcraft in a fantasy setting.

Just to clarify, you are saying that all fantasy novels/movies are bad?

Harry Potter
Star Wars
Star Trek
Dr. Who
The Chronicles of Narnia
Wheel of Time
And every other fantasy sci/fi series

But let's not forget...

Santa Claus
The Easter Bunny
The Tooth Fairy
And a whole lot of fairy tales

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
But the sin they are promoting is real. Don't kid yourself. People have been influenced to practice real witchcraft on the account of watching Harry Potter. So this means that the sin being pushed upon them is real. They are demonic ideas being pushed upon people.

Have you ever seen the movies or read the books?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no inappropriate content in Harry Potter. And do you not know the difference between fiction and reality?

Scientifically speaking, the mind operates in the same way using the same neural pathways if someone sees something or imagines it.

That's part of how athletes train. Fiction is also reality.

Whatever-the-mind-can-conceive-and-believe-the-mind-can-achieve..png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scientifically speaking, the mind operates in the same way using the same neural pathways if someone sees something or imagines it.

How many viewings until ones imagining getting a letter to Hogwarts turns into achieving a letter from Hogwarts?

Asking for a friend.

Upvote 0

Leet

Feb 24, 2015
✟77,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I enjoyed Harry Potter, I'll admit. However, something happened about six years ago that gave me pause. My family were staying briefly with my folks over Easter and as I brought our stuff to the spare room and looked about, my eyes fell on a bag sitting on the floor and I had a strange feeling. I thought to myself, whatever is in that bag is giving me a bad vibe. So being the nosey gal I am, I took a peek. Inside was a stack of Harry Potter DVDs. Anecdotal evidence but I'll not forget it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever seen the movies or read the books?

Yep. I owned a few of the DVD's back in my worldly entertainment phase of my life (While I was prodigal with the Lord). See, when my life was not surrendered to the Lord, I did not see a problem with these things. But Jesus says for us to pick up our cross, to deny ourselves and come follow Him. When we are holding on to the things of this world and it's desires and things it cares for, then we will not see a problem with them. But if we let them go, and follow Jesus 100%, then they will no longer have any hold on our life. Nothing will satisfy but Jesus. The things of this world offer nothing with any true and lasting satisfaction. It can only offer hollow pleasure.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

So don't watch any fantasy/fiction, if you feel it is harmful. N
But no one will answer me. Are you against the Wizard of Oz too? How about the old Bewitched show?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just to clarify, you are saying that all fantasy novels/movies are bad?

Harry Potter
Star Wars
Star Trek
Dr. Who
The Chronicles of Narnia
Wheel of Time
And every other fantasy sci/fi series

But let's not forget...

Santa Claus
The Easter Bunny
The Tooth Fairy
And a whole lot of fairy tales

Yes. Even what I thought were good Christian films are things I am starting to question now, as well. Things are darker than we can imagine.

I used to be a huge Marvel comics fan, Trek fan, and huge fan of all forms of entertainment involving the spy world (like James Bond, Alias, Mission Impossible, etc.). But I count these things as dung now for my call in following Christ. We are told in Scripture not to love the things of this world in 1 John 2. The passage in 1 John 2 always bothered me when I read it. I used to try and skip passed that passage really fast. But God talked to my heart about it. In time, I put away the secular movie watching because it was all steeped in sin. It's message was one that was always filled with sin. The Scriptures tell us to focus on that which is good and godly. That is not secular movies. Those are things of the world. God is not in them. Sure, they may imitate good, but it is a false illusion of goodness. There is no truth in them. No Jesus. They are constructs of worlds without Jesus. We are actually told in 2 Corinthians 10:5 to cast down imaginations and lead every thought captive to Christ. We are to submit our minds and imaginations to God. We should not exalt Hollywood and it's fantasies above the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yep. I owned a few of the DVD's back in my worldly entertainment phase of my life (While I was prodigal with the Lord). See, when my life was not surrendered to the Lord, I did not see a problem with these things. But Jesus says for us to pick up our cross, to deny ourselves and come follow Him. When we are holding on to the things of this world and it's desires and things it cares for, then they will no longer have any hold on our life. Nothing will satisfy but Jesus. The things of this world offer nothing with any true and lasting satisfaction. It can only offer hollow pleasure.
So you have no entertainment in your life whatsoever? I find that hard to believe.
And remember Paul's writing, about putting oneself under the law again, with don't touch, eat, don't go here and there?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Even what I thought were good Christian films are things I am starting to question now, as well. Things are darker than we can imagine.

I used to be a huge Marvel comics fan, Trek fan, and huge fan of all forms of entertainment involving the spy world (like James Bond, Alias, Mission Impossible, etc.). But I count these things as dung now for my call in following Christ. We are told in Scripture not to love the things of this world in 1 John 2. The passage in 1 John 2 always bothered me when I read it. I used to try and skip passed that passage really fast. But God talked to my heart about it. In time, I put away the secular movie watching because it was all steeped in sin. It's message was one that was always filled with sin. The Scriptures tell us to focus on that which is good and godly. That is not secular movies. Those are things of the world. God is not in them. Sure, they may imitate good, but it is a false illusion of goodness. There is no truth in them. No Jesus. They are constructs of worlds without Jesus. We are actually told in 2 Corinthians 10:5 to cast down imaginations and lead every thought captive to Christ. We are to submit our minds and imaginations to God. We should not exalt Hollywood and it's fantasies above the Lord Jesus Christ.

And that's how you'll lose touch with the world. So many people think following Christ is about denying yourself things that others enjoy. It's not. It's about loving God and loving your neighbor. That should be your focus, not condemning a popular children's book series. Don't redefine Christianity. Try to live within the definition.

If it works for you, do it, but don't condemn others.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you have no entertainment in your life whatsoever? I find that hard to believe.
And remember Paul's writing, about putting oneself under the law again, with don't touch, eat, don't go here and there?

As a couple of days ago, I was a huge fan of watching only Christian entertainment that sought to inspire people to follow the Lord Jesus Christ. I created a thread a while back on my favorite Christian films here:

What Christian Movies Do You Find To Be The Most Rewatchable?

Seeing, some of these movies were made PureFlix (Which is a whole nother can worms of corruption I would not rather get into here), and some of these Christian movies were made by a Calvinist (of which the films in no way preach Calvinism), I am now starting to want to detach myself from watching all forms entertainment type fantasy altogether. Three videos in a recent CF discussion on the popular Christian music industry (See: here) has helped to open my eyes on it's corruption (that I was not aware of). Things are darker than I imagined.

Side Note:

I am strongly against Calvinism and see it as an attack upon God's good character. The director of Time Changer, Secrets of Jonathan Sperry, and Play the Flute was my favorite Christian director. Problem is that when I talked with the director on the phone, he professed he was for Reformed (Calvinist) doctrine. This is a doctrine that I hate and find to be repulsive. How can I support his movies anymore if they are created by a person who is against what I strongly believe?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And that's how you'll lose touch with the world. So many people think following Christ is about denying yourself things that others enjoy. It's not. It's about loving God and loving your neighbor. That should be your focus, not condemning a popular children's book series. Don't redefine Christianity. Try to live within the definition.

If it works for you, do it, but don't condemn others.

I have every right to tell you to follow the Word of God.
Jesus says, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.' (Matthew 16:24).

• Agree
Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have every right to tell you to follow the Word of God.
Jesus says, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.' (Matthew 16:24).

And the Word of God uses witchcraft in the context of someone who makes a pact with the devil to use power. That's not related to what you are saying we shouldn't watch. You have no scriptural basis for not watching/reading Harry Potter. No pacts with the devil there. It's a fantasy world.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.