Harry Potter should not be watched by Christians.

Can Christians fill their minds with Harry Potter, Narnia, & other magic type fantasy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2n889k.jpg

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, that's the point. If you think Saw IV is harmful then you've abandoned your argument that fictional things can't be harmful. So the argument isn't about whether HP is fictional, it's about whether HP communicates harmful content.
No one is saying that all fiction is appropriate to everyone, but this mostly deals because of maturity. Saw IV contains themes that are way too mature for a child. Again, for a child. HP is not on the same mature rating as Saw. You are using R rated films and comparing with HP which is a child's film. This is why the logic you and the OP have present is problematic.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No one is saying that all fiction is appropriate to everyone, but this mostly deals because of maturity. Saw IV contains themes that are way too mature for a child. Again, for a child. HP is not on the same mature rating as Saw. You are using R rated films and comparing with HP which is a child's film. This is why the logic you and the OP have present is problematic.

Not to mention that parents who are deeply worried about psychological impact of Harry Potter and how it will change their childs future from priest to witch are usually the ones who tell the kids that if they screw up
somehow in the jungle of religion they will burn up in hell forever or get possessed by demons if they touch or some silly other.

Logic, disturb me not.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Harry Potter books and movies are all very well-done and are appropriate for children. Very sad that some parents have gone so far as to have the books banned in their local libraries.

Upvote 0

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Harry Potter books and movies are all very well-done and are appropriate for children. Very sad that some parents have gone so far as to have the books banned in their local libraries.

Some people make an obsession from the Bible, they are called fundamentalists, they take everything literally and are just one step away from extremism. They accuse you, judge you and probably send you to hell, doing beforehand the work of God. Usually, they just do shallow studies of the Bible, never asking questions, never seeking answers, and if you tell them that they have understood some things wrong, they accuse you of heresy, which was catholic practice that often lead to burning people on the steak, this has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Christ's teachings!

Movies and music started to have nowadays a tendency to brainwash people but only if you became obsessed with them. I was once a very hard core movie passionate, I used to listen music for hours, but then I understood that this gives me no peace and so I reduced the amount of music and movies to almost none.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

No, you're just not following the arguments given. I gave an argument showing that fictional things can be sinful, such as Saw IV. You respond that HP and Saw IV aren't the same thing. Except they are insofar as my argument is concerned, for they are both fictional, and that is precisely what is at stake.

No one has said that the HP movies should be rated R. No one said that there is no difference at all between Saw IV and HP. No one said that all fantasy books are sinful. These are strawmen.

No one is saying that all fiction is appropriate to everyone, but this mostly deals because of maturity.

Scores of posts have claimed that because HP is fictional it cannot be problematic. See posts #2, #6, #8, #14, #16, #18, #22, #25.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The whole Harry Potter is not bad because is fiction excuse does not work. Jesus condemned the mind sin of lust (Which is fantasy) in Matthew 5:28-30. We are told to cast down imaginations and lead every thought captive in obedience to Christ Jesus in 2 Corinthians 10:5. Harry Potter is the glorification of witchcraft. God condemned witchcraft heavily in the Old Testament. To think about something sinful in a fantasy way does not make it any less sinful. Is cartoon inappropriate content okay? Surely not. Just because it is pure fantasy does not undo the fact that sin is being pushed or communicated upon the viewer. It's wrong. Harry Potter is a promotion of witchcraft in a fantasy setting.

Probably some truth in the Bible to what you say,

“There shall not be found among you anyone who …practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not appointed such for you.” Deuteronomy 18:10-14

Harry Potter is not a harmless book, movie, and entertainment franchise. It leads children to pagan beliefs.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Probably some truth in the Bible to what you say,

“There shall not be found among you anyone who …practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not appointed such for you.” Deuteronomy 18:10-14

Harry Potter is not a harmless book, movie, and entertainment franchise. It leads children to pagan beliefs.

So what else could lead children to pagan beliefs? What about Hansel and Gretel? After all, it includes a cannibalistic witch. The Pied Piper of Hamelin played a magical instrument. Would it lead children to pagan beliefs? What about Cinderella, which includes a Fairy Godmother, or Sleeping Beauty, which includes a witch. The list could go on and on. What else? Look at the works of William Shakespeare. Hamlet features a ghost, Macbeth includes three witches, and A Midsummer Nights Dream features numerous fairies. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens includes several ghosts.

The books and movies I named, along with Harry Potter, are all harmless.

• Agree
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah in the real world when it's tried by real people. Not fantasy books which use a magical world as a setting.

God didn't make a difference between fantasy and real. His words call it an abomination. I would rather be safe and on the Lord's side. What does the Lord say about those who will be out of heaven.

Revelation 22:14-15
[14]Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
[15]For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

SOR'CERER, [L. sors, lot.] A conjurer; an enchanter; a magician. The Egyptian sorcerers contended with Moses.

Pray about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.
Yet when the Bible does that it is ok because it is God doing this I suppose. That kind of plays into the concept of man's will vs God's will. Would Potter have been more acceptable if God had commanded them to fight evil?

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Scores of posts have claimed that because HP is fictional it cannot be problematic. See posts #2, #6, #8, #14, #16, #18, #22, #25.
none of these posts says anything even remotely like this. Its a strawman on your part

Upvote 0

Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At first Rowling wanted to write something reflecting the major influences in her life C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.

However as time passed unfortunately it ended up being more about her life and the abusive relationships there in.

From what I've heard apparently her childhood home was almost a direct copy of Harry's in the books and weather its true or not she wrote the first book in conjunction with her youth pastor whom read and approved of or gave input along the way.

I think this is more of a personal preference.. if it offends your faith then avoid it. If it brings you faith then enjoy it.

Ive seen Christians tear each other apart over the nitpicky things throwing rocks through someone's window because this person believes this or partakes in this and I think we all need to go back to the bible and rethink ourselves a rich man through the eye of a needle situation.

I roomed with a theologian in college and when he saw my Lord of The Rings collection he came at me with fire and brimstone he even involved the Deans whom quickly confiscated my books and had me move into my own single room costing me a lot of more money.

You want to know the funny thing? This future pastor a man who bible bashes prays on his knees morning and night and can quote you any bible verse you ask. He absolutely adores Hellboy comics and Star Wars.... yeah he even took me to see the first Hellboy movie in theater and let me tell you I WAS UNCOMFORTABLE.

But I put up with it because at the time I considered him to be a very good friend and a man of strong faith and convictions. To this day he still berates me for my adoration of Tolkien.

Long story notwithstanding. Why do I love his writings? Because of the powerful message of forgiveness faith conviction and honor and it empowers me in my walk with God.

Boromir, easily my favorite character, is so convicted in his desire to protect his people that he nearly assaulted Frodo. Pleading with him, just one sin, please it can save my people! Just let me have this one chance of turning towards the darkness.

Who of us has not had a moment of weakness and then given an opportunity to truely stand tall for God. Boromir turned and faced the darkness and though it shot into him arrow after arrow of pain sorrow loathing he stood tall to save the life of another.

In the entirety of the series that will always be my favorite part. Showing that no matter how far you fall you can always turn that sin into a light that can save another person from the dark. And I always anticipate his ending no matter how many time's I have read it, it always soothes my struggling heart and makes me thank God for the inspiration he give to others writers who pour out their soul to give something to ours.

If its not for you. Ok, just say so and end it at that. When you begin to spread the hatred to others thats when you cross the line and continue to show others in the world some very good reasons for not believing in a God who's followers will continue to berate you for the things you struggle to change or believe in from birth.

• Agree
Reactions: Cis.jd
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
none of these posts says anything even remotely like this. Its a strawman on your part

You should try reading the posts. To quote the first four:

Post #2 said:
And do you not know the difference between fiction and reality?

Post #6 said:
And I don't know anyone who practiced witchcraft after reading Harry Potter. It is fiction.

Post #8 said:
Harry potter is 'FICTION'! Yes! It is!

Post #14 said:
My children and I enjoy these books because we're capable of distinguishing fiction from reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God didn't make a difference between fantasy and real. His words call it an abomination. I would rather be safe and on the Lord's side. What does the Lord say about those who will be out of heaven.

Revelation 22:14-15
[14]Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
[15]For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

SOR'CERER, [L. sors, lot.] A conjurer; an enchanter; a magician. The Egyptian sorcerers contended with Moses.

Pray about it.

So you think someone who reads Harry Potter is on the same level as someone who actually thinks their practicing real life witchcraft? Will reading a Brandon Sanderson book also put me in this category?

Upvote 0

Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's funny how I get this all the time from Christians. You read the HP books? Oh ok I didn't know that you were a Satan worshiper. Did you know this bible verse and this verse and that verse condemn you to hell? Btw stay the hell away from our children you psycho, your leading them to witchcraft and the occult.

Upvote 0

Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"God never needed to resort to fantastical imaginations to prove his point"

"God makes strong distinctions between fantasy and reality, fantasy being a sin and abomination"

And being in torment and burning in Hell, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in Heaven. “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented burning in these flames.’ Luke 16:23‭-‬24

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why are you comparing Harry Potter to inappropriate content?
And I don't know anyone who practiced witchcraft after reading Harry Potter. It is fiction. It is also the age old story of good vs. evil, but you have the right to your opinion, as do I.
upload_2020-2-21_14-39-44.jpeg

There is an great increase in the interest in witchcraft since the 90's... Harry Potter, although fiction, is glorification of this satanic cult.

Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's the unrepentant sinful nature inside a human being making excuses for getting pleasure out of entertaining themselves with something they know God in actuality hates.

God calls witchcraft and sorcery an abomination as it functions through the Satanic and demonic kingdom which Jesus Christ shed his blood to defeat and destroy.

I think it just shows how passive and blind people have become to think that God is ok with professing Christians entertaining themselves and even worse their children with the powers of the enemy they should in fact hate and be repulsed by. Harry Potter is a prime example of how Satan and demons transform themselves and their powers into angels of light by making sorcery and witchcraft look harmless and good instead of what in actuality it is which is EVIL.

2 Corinthians 11:14 King James Version (KJV)
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Kids are watching other kids in this movie overcome evil and save the day through using magical witchcraft spells and powers which ironically are the real genuine evil as they are of the devil.
The devil is psychologically entering into the younger generation's mind of today to indoctrinate and manipulate them into turning to his spiritual power to overcome evil instead of the power of the Holy Spirit through faith in Jesus Christ to overcome evil.

TALK ABOUT TURNING THINGS UPSIDE DOWN !

With the younger generation having to grow up in this unnatural world where everything is being turned upside down to what area of the emotions and subconscious does a movie like this relate to ?
Do you really think the idea of spells and power doesn't appeal to the younger generation growing up an increasingly confusing world where many feel powerless ? Regardless of what you believe or think or feel STATISTICS show the occult IS APPEALING TO THEM but nevermind after all " its just fiction " except unfortunately it's not and even more so sadly the older generation and parents just can't see it.

Theirs a reason why its called a TEL LIE VISION

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.