Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, from another expat! (Permanent exile seems more like it)

I'm dealing with depression. My wife is in Germany, being with and bringing home her aunt who had an operation for cancer, my children are with their grandparents, and I have to work when I feel like collapsing. Thanksgiving is one of the only opportunities to assert my American-ness and my family's connection to America, and it ain't gonna happen this year. Plus a second Orthodox couple in our circle of friends is divorcing, and I am trying to do what I can to snap Orthodox Christians out of this evil spell that has them thinking divorce is an OK option when the marriage becomes difficult.

I'm thankful my kids still HAVE grandparents, and that we have a comfy home, food on the table, work to earn it and a safe and peaceful life. Trying to focus on that.

The most difficult moment for the atheist is when he is truly thankful, and has no one to thank.
GK Chesterton

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
happy Thanksgiving y'all!

the final homily of Fr Alexander Schmemann, written on Thanksgiving only a few weeks before his death. pretty awesome that he would write something like this when he is wracked with pain from cancer.

Everyone capable of thanksgiving is capable of salvation and eternal joy.
Thank You, O Lord, for having accepted this Eucharist, which we offered to the Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and which filled our hearts with the joy, peace and righteousness of the Holy Spirit.
Thank You, O Lord, for having revealed Yourself unto us and given us the foretaste of Your Kingdom.
Thank You, O Lord, for having united us to one another in serving You and Your Holy Church.
Thank You, O Lord, for having helped us to overcome all difficulties, tensions, passions, temptations and restored peace, mutual love and joy in sharing the communion of the Holy Spirit.
Thank You, O Lord, for the sufferings You bestowed upon us, for they are purifying us from selfishness and reminding us of the “one thing needed;” Your eternal Kingdom.
Thank You, O Lord, for having given us this country where we are free to Worship You.
Thank You, O Lord, for this school, where the name of God is proclaimed.
Thank You, O Lord, for our families: husbands, wives and, especially, children who teach us how to celebrate Your holy Name in joy, movement and holy noise.
Thank You, O Lord, for everyone and everything.
Great are You, O Lord, and marvelous are Your deeds, and no word is sufficient to celebrate Your miracles.
Lord, it is good to be here! Amen.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Saint [Elder] Paisios said: "Do not envy people who have money, comforts, fame and power; rather look to those who live with virtue, reason and piety."

(It's in my signature)

The beautiful thing is, when one acquires the peace of Christian living, all the material things become more beautiful and special, but not in what they are, but in that they bless one's existence.
My own observations, badly expressed.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Saint [Elder] Paisios said: "Do not envy people who have money, comforts, fame and power; rather look to those who live with virtue, reason and piety."

(It's in my signature)

The beautiful thing is, when one acquires the peace of Christian living, all the material things become more beautiful and special, but not in what they are, but in that they bless one's existence.
My own observations, badly expressed.

:amen:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm VERY sorry to hear of your depression, Rus. You know, it's just so easy to fall into it....Being isolated in a foreign land and your wife being away and seeing the ease of "no fault" divorce and just all the work and daily grind, I understand how you feel.

My wife works three 12-hour shifts as an RN. But what people don't realize is that an RN works 3 night shifts then has to sleep on day 4, so it's more like 4 days shot. She's done some overtime, too. So I'm alone a lot. And it's an isolating feeling at times. I get a little down over that. Add to that the fact that my neck and shoulders continue to kill me 24/7 despite every single possible solution I've attempted. And financially we're just living to pay off debt. My wife and I are making great money and it just goes to pay off cards. On top of that, my job, for obvious reasons, is draining. At times I just want to throw my hands up and say, "this generation is SCREWED!" but the Orthodox Christian in me, the chrism poured on my head, smacks me across the skull and keeps me away from that fatalism.

This might sound odd to say, but I feel like an ex-pat sometimes. This country has turned into something foreign to what I grew up with, and religion-wise it has utterly departed its heritage. Sometimes I feel like I was deported! LOL

Hang in there, mate. I feel for ya. Many blessings! Keep your chin up in Christ....stay in the marathon!:thumbsup::)

Thanks, from another expat! (Permanent exile seems more like it)

I'm dealing with depression. My wife is in Germany, being with and bringing home her aunt who had an operation for cancer, my children are with their grandparents, and I have to work when I feel like collapsing. Thanksgiving is one of the only opportunities to assert my American-ness and my family's connection to America, and it ain't gonna happen this year. Plus a second Orthodox couple in our circle of friends is divorcing, and I am trying to do what I can to snap Orthodox Christians out of this evil spell that has them thinking divorce is an OK option when the marriage becomes difficult.

I'm thankful my kids still HAVE grandparents, and that we have a comfy home, food on the table, work to earn it and a safe and peaceful life. Trying to focus on that.

GK Chesterton

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
the final homily of Fr Alexander Schmemann, written on Thanksgiving only a few weeks before his death. pretty awesome that he would write something like this when he is wracked with pain from cancer.

Everyone capable of thanksgiving is capable of salvation and eternal joy.
Thank You, O Lord, for having accepted this Eucharist, which we offered to the Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and which filled our hearts with the joy, peace and righteousness of the Holy Spirit.
Thank You, O Lord, for having revealed Yourself unto us and given us the foretaste of Your Kingdom.
Thank You, O Lord, for having united us to one another in serving You and Your Holy Church.
Thank You, O Lord, for having helped us to overcome all difficulties, tensions, passions, temptations and restored peace, mutual love and joy in sharing the communion of the Holy Spirit.
Thank You, O Lord, for the sufferings You bestowed upon us, for they are purifying us from selfishness and reminding us of the “one thing needed;” Your eternal Kingdom.
Thank You, O Lord, for having given us this country where we are free to Worship You.
Thank You, O Lord, for this school, where the name of God is proclaimed.
Thank You, O Lord, for our families: husbands, wives and, especially, children who teach us how to celebrate Your holy Name in joy, movement and holy noise.
Thank You, O Lord, for everyone and everything.
Great are You, O Lord, and marvelous are Your deeds, and no word is sufficient to celebrate Your miracles.
Lord, it is good to be here! Amen.

Amen...

Upvote 0