Christian
Marital Status
Married
“There is a way that seems right to a man,
but its end is the way to death.
Even in laughter the heart may ache,
and the end of joy may be grief.
The backslider in heart will be filled with the fruit of his ways,
and a good man will be filled with the fruit of his ways.
The simple believes everything,
but the prudent gives thought to his steps.
One who is wise is cautious and turns away from evil,
but a fool is reckless and careless.” (Proverbs 14:12-16 ESV)

There are many people here in America who profess faith in Jesus Christ but who are still living like the world. That way seems right to them because that is what has been modeled to them by generations before them and by the attitudes and actions of so many others who also profess faith in Jesus Christ, including by their leaders. It seems that not too many are even teaching them the way of holiness and of righteousness and of godly living.

The American church overall (not everyone and not every congregation) has become very worldly. Many Christians think, act, speak, and behave not much different from those who make no professions of faith in Jesus Christ. They do the same things, talk about the same things, listen to all the same music, watch the same TV shows and movies, play the same games, and talk the same lingo. You wouldn’t notice a Christian group from unchristian.

Even what are called “Christian fellowships” are often not much different from non-Christian fellowships, for there doesn’t seem to be anything particularly “Christian” about them. Jesus is never mentioned. Godly living is not modeled. Secularization of “Christianity” is nearly everywhere you look these days. So a non-Christian among them is not going to notice any difference that should draw him to want to become a Christian.

For so many today are teaching a very secularized and adulterated gospel message which teaches that we can pray a prayer or make some kind of public acknowledgement of faith in Jesus Christ and now we are in, good to go for eternity, but regardless of how we live. For they are teaching a godless faith that is lip service only and that makes no requirements for dying with Christ to sin and for living to him and to his righteousness.

And this seems right to them because it is what has been taught to so many of them from generation to generation. For it is this gospel message which says that we can believe (not usually defined) in Jesus once, now all our sins are forgiven (past, present, and future), and now heaven is guaranteed us when we die, and it can’t be taken away from us no matter how we live. But that is of man, not of God, not if you read the Bible verses in their context.

And this way seems right to them, but its end is the way to death. Why? Because Jesus died and rose from the dead that we might be crucified with him in death to sin and raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, no longer as slaves to sin, but as slaves to God and to his righteousness, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. So we are no longer to obey sin, for if we do, it will end in death, not life eternal.

And Jesus said that if anyone would come after him he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin) and follow (obey) him. For if sin is what we practice, and not righteousness, and not obedience to our Lord, it will end in death, not life eternal. But if for Jesus’ sake we deny self, die daily to sin, and follow him in obedience, it will lead to life eternal. For we are not saved by giving our Lord lip service, but by obedience to his commands. For the Scriptures teach faith as obedience and disobedience as unbelief.

[Matthew 7:21-23; Luke 9:23-26; Romans 2:6-8; Romans 6:1-23; Romans 8:1-14; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; 2 Corinthians 5:10; Galatians 5:16-21; Galatians 6:7-8; Ephesians 2:8-10; Ephesians 4:17-32; Ephesians 5:3-6; Hebrews 10:23-31; 1 Peter 2:24; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10]

So, if this is the way that seems right to you, i.e. the way of the world and of worldly living, and not the way of holiness and righteousness and obedience to the Lord, then please know that the Scriptures do not support that. For the backslider, i.e. the one who detours from the ways of righteousness to walk in the ways of the flesh and of the world, his end will be death, not life eternal, regardless of what faith his lips profess.

But for those who are of genuine faith in Jesus Christ, they are those who are no longer making sin their practice, but who are walking in the ways of holiness and of righteousness and in obedience to the Lord, in practice. And they will produce the fruit of righteousness in keeping with the will of God for our lives. And they are the prudent who give thought to their steps, who are wise and cautious, and who turn away from evil. And they have the hope of eternal life with God and no fear of death.

So, please take this seriously. The Scriptures do not teach the gospel that so many are passing off as the gospel message today. We must die with Christ to sin and now live to him and to his righteousness, in obedience to our Lord, in practice, if we want to have salvation and eternal life with God.

As the Deer

By Martin J. Nystrom
Based off Psalm 42:1

As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after You
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship You

You alone are my strength, my shield
To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship You

Caution: This link may contain ads