Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Movies I had thought of....but I think the left has ruined movies enough. I don't want John Wick 4 to only feature nerf guns with everyone pretending to die.

Stop destroying otherwise enjoyable movies by trying to inject your politics in them please. It's getting very weird.
Well, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

If putting guns in a Maxim magazine causes young males to hunger for them, then putting guns in John Wick and Grand Theft Auto does so as well.

Did you know that Apple policy prohibits movies from ever showing villains using iPhones? Apparently Apple takes the suggestive effect of movies seriously.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you can find them in magazines, and if your internet algorithm shows a potential interest....but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's a strange assertion to say this has created some aberrant effect on today's youth.

Today, companies can gather thousands of data points on a given internet user. Surely you know this.... Smith & Wesson and Daniel Defense can easily target audiences, including teenagers with an interest in the military, guns, etc...

As the Atlantic piece noted:

Like many other firearms companies, Daniel Defense also sought placement of its products in movies and video games. This Facebook post from 2019 alerts followers to the appearance of one of its DDM4 V7 rifles in the new Call of Duty: Modern Warfare game. The DDM4 V7 was used by the 18-year-old gamer turned shooter in Uvalde, Texas.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If putting guns in a Maxim magazine causes young males to hunger for them, then putting guns in John Wick and Grand Theft Auto does so as well.

For the wrong person, sure. Young people with no role models or effective parenting are vulnerable to marketing that suggest that if you buy this weapon, you can be a real man. You too can be a special forces soldier...without ever joining the military....

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You know where real gun grooming is taking place? In the inner cities of America. And you know who is involved in that culture right?
Absolutely it is happening there....TOO

Surprise, surprise; Poverty begets violence. Colour me informed.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well you can read body language....you can also misread body language. Some people are terrible at reading body language. Pictures are tricky because if they are posing or otherwise aware of the picture....that's not body language so much as it's a deliberate manipulation of body language .

Lots of people smile for the camera when told. The idea that means they must all be happy is.....well it's not a great idea.
1) I agree. A picture only gives a miniscule moment in time to interpret body language. And that's why I was flummoxed by the other poster's sudden focus on a picture. What happens seconds (or miliseconds) before or after a picture is taken is also, JUST as relevant as body language can change quickly.

2) In my lines of work, reading body language has saved me personally from many, profound beatings and dangerous situations. I received a lot of very positive feedback regarding my ability to do it too. Yes, some people are bad at reading body language. It's one of a few skills I am quite strong at though.

3. Conversely, regarding pictures, in the "olden days" when they needed to expose the light onto the film for longer stretches, photographers wanted grim faces because they could be held more easily for longer stretches. That left poor 6 year old rambot to think all of his grand and greatgrand parents were abusive curmugeona and unpleasant people. Turns out they weren't.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) I agree. A picture only gives a miniscule moment in time to interpret body language. And that's why I was flummoxed by the other poster's sudden focus on a picture. What happens seconds (or miliseconds) before or after a picture is taken is also, JUST as relevant as body language can change quickly.

2) In my lines of work, reading body language has saved me personally from many, profound beatings and dangerous situations. I received a lot of very positive feedback regarding my ability to do it too. Yes, some people are bad at reading body language. It's one of a few skills I am quite strong at though.

3. Conversely, regarding pictures, in the "olden days" when they needed to expose the light onto the film for longer stretches, photographers wanted grim faces because they could be held more easily for longer stretches. That left poor 6 year old rambot to think all of his grand and greatgrand parents were abusive curmugeona and unpleasant people. Turns out they weren't.
It wasn't so much the need to hold long poses...photographic technology had moved beyond that by the middle 1800s. It was a matter of style...people believed they should look "noble" in photographs, and nobility did not smile (notice in old paintings that the noble hardly smiled).

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Guns are not the problem. Look at Iceland, one of the highest gun ownership in the world but also have lowest homicide rates in the world.

The irony of ironies? Guns are not the problem but the culture of bullying and coldness towards other people.

'Christian' America often looks at Iceland and other countries in Europe as pagans but who really are the more loving and caring towards one another?

These island countries with relatively difficult islands to inhabit and few options for survival except cooperation are interesting....but they are examples of geography, not "better" or more moral people.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Lol right...I recall a movie or something where cowboys spoke rumors of someone once smiling in a photo and the other one remarking how insane that must have looked.

If people have their photo taken doing something without their knowledge. I get it...you got a chance of looking at those and reading body language. Reading something like "danger" though is simpler and understandable. It's weird when people say "he appears to have an overdeveloped sense of ego and a fetish for guns and the way they make him feel like a big man" based on a picture of a kid smiling....lol.

Hatred I can read. Happiness I can read. Etc. These vastly more complex patterns are just not readable, they're projected. I can show you a picture of a person and we can both read hatred....but there's no way you can read racial hatred for example.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely it is happening there....TOO

Surprise, surprise; Poverty begets violence. Colour me informed.
been poor my entire life and i'm not a violent person,
I'd say this isn't very accurate at all

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

I can see a better case for movies than Maxim. People who never fired a gun may tell you they want a "Desert Eagle" as their first gun....hard to see that as anything but the result of movies.

I'm not convinced it's making people go out and shoot one another.

Did you know that Apple policy prohibits movies from ever showing villains using iPhones? Apparently Apple takes the suggestive effect of movies seriously.

Yeah and I've also noticed that I can't find Amazon gift cards at Walmart.

I don't think we should restrict movies and tell artists what to do. Of course, I have no problem warning people about content....like rating a movie R....but the idea that we get to control a medium because someone is effective with it and they may say something we don't want people to hear or see....not for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Today, companies can gather thousands of data points on a given internet user. Surely you know this.... Smith & Wesson and Daniel Defense can easily target audiences, including teenagers with an interest in the military, guns, etc...

As the Atlantic piece noted:

Like many other firearms companies, Daniel Defense also sought placement of its products in movies and video games. This Facebook post from 2019 alerts followers to the appearance of one of its DDM4 V7 rifles in the new Call of Duty: Modern Warfare game. The DDM4 V7 was used by the 18-year-old gamer turned shooter in Uvalde, Texas.

That is wild....the game came out late October, and the shooting happened in May of last year.

Perhaps he'd gone into the future... and then traveled back in time for the shooting.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is wild....the game came out late October, and the shooting happened in May of last year.

Perhaps he'd gone into the future... and then traveled back in time for the shooting.

...which isn't the point I was making in any case. (of course nobody knows what ads the shooter saw or didn't).

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I don't buy that poverty has to create crime. It might if people were starving or in desperate need for things like medicine or clothing etc. But that's not typically what happens. America's poor are not really poor. There are enough services to provide for food and shelter and clothing.

Poverty does not create bad character. Not here at least and I doubt it does in most of the western world.

Those on the left love to think that the poverty in general are like medieval days or the ancient world. In some countries like Mexico or in Africa there is real poverty. No jobs and and no help.

The West has a lot of jobs and spends a lot of money to help the poor. Poor people have cell phones, big screen tvs etc.

Being poor does not create bad character.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The poorest people in the land can be and sometimes have been the most peaceful and caring of all the people.
It's not poverty per se, but the believe that one has been deliberately deprived of entitlement.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol right...I recall a movie or something where cowboys spoke rumors of someone once smiling in a photo and the other one remarking how insane that must have looked.

If people have their photo taken doing something without their knowledge. I get it...you got a chance of looking at those and reading body language. Reading something like "danger" though is simpler and understandable. It's weird when people say "he appears to have an overdeveloped sense of ego and a fetish for guns and the way they make him feel like a big man" based on a picture of a kid smiling....lol.

Hatred I can read. Happiness I can read. Etc. These vastly more complex patterns are just not readable, they're projected. I can show you a picture of a person and we can both read hatred....but there's no way you can read racial hatred for example.
Nah, one image--a fraction of a second--snatched out of context would be a poor way to judge character. Momentary emotion, maybe. Character, no.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nah, one image--a fraction of a second--snatched out of context would be a poor way to judge character. Momentary emotion, maybe. Character, no.
Well I never suggested that one could judge character by body language....and I also started with saying that body language is easily misread.

However, when one lacks any real evidence of their beliefs and has to fall on character attacks....then all sorts of mind reading, body language experts, and psychics come out of the woodwork.

Body language is a thing...but I agree an understanding of context is needed.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
...which isn't the point I was making in any case. (of course nobody knows what ads the shooter saw or didn't).

I missed the point you were making then....

I thought you were trying to suggest some link between the two.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh my word. You don't seem to know about the conflicts that could arguably be called imperialist. Look into US military actions to support banana companies in Central America. No, that's not a joke. Look into the Philippine Uprising. The latter saw use of the Krag rifle, which is why it appears by name in a ditty sung by troops which I think Pershing banned.

I wasn't thinking that far back. Prior to WWII, American imperialism was alot more crass and blatant. After WWII, the imperialism had to be masked behind loftier ideologies than fighting for agribusiness.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't thinking that far back. Prior to WWII, American imperialism was alot more crass and blatant.

Uhhhh...I guess?

That Louisiana Purchase was downright savagery. Let's not forget the Mexican/American War either....I always forget who we fought in that one....New Mexico I think.

After WWII, the imperialism had to be masked behind loftier ideologies than fighting for agribusiness.

Fighting for agribusiness is gonna come back in style I think.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't buy that poverty has to create crime.
It doesn't.

It might if people were starving or in desperate need for things like medicine or clothing etc.
Even then you'd be surprised. There's usually an element of uncertainty that has to be introduced.

But that's not typically what happens. America's poor are not really poor.

Not by any global scale, no.

There are enough services to provide for food and shelter and clothing.

That might be true in some states. Definitely isn't in others.

Poverty does not create bad character. Not here at least and I doubt it does in most of the western world.

I agree...some of the best people I've ever known were extremely poor.

Those on the left love to think that the poverty in general are like medieval days or the ancient world.

I don't think they care about poverty as much as they claim. I think they just hate the rich.

In some countries like Mexico or in Africa there is real poverty. No jobs and and no help.

And real oppression. Not this..."I had to fill out three job applications and he only had to fill out one" stuff.

The West has a lot of jobs

Eh...

and spends a lot of money to help the poor.

How taxes should be spent is always a valid discussion.

Poor people have cell phones, big screen tvs etc.

I'm starting to think no one should have cell phones except me.

Almost exactly like my position on guns.

Being poor does not create bad character.

No....lack of positive role models in the social environment, peer group modeling, and honor system manhood ideals tend to be a bad mix though.

Upvote 0