✟371,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Tha

That last picture is pretty gross. That kid did nothing wrong. He went into a dangerous situation to help people regardless of whether they were a protester needing aid or property owner trying to avoid vandalism. When he got chased by a mob of criminals that had threatened his life earlier....he waited till the last possible moment to shoot only who was an immediate threat to his life. Call him naive but there's few adults who could have acted so well in the same situation.

The fact you included him undermines the entire premise you're suggesting because in his case, he probably handled himself so well because he was taught about guns at an early age.

You should just edit him out of the OP if this is meant as a serious discussion.
I'm sorry you find it so offensive but I'm not going to edit it out because it is the DEFINITIVE example of "gun culture". He had ABSOLUTELY NO obligation to put himself into that situation. He SOUGHT it out. He didn't have to leave his house..,....he certainly didn't have to leave his house with a gun.

But with a gun, he felt empowered to put himself into a dangerous situation when he had no reason to be there. He deluded himself into thinking he is a hero because he owns a gun.

I'm not arguing the specifics about his response to those guys attacking him was handled poorly, I'm saying gun culture is what led him to be out on the street that night to begin with.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟371,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
There was an interesting thread about school shootings just below....with more than a few people talking about the gun culture of America.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever stopped to think about the idea of "gun grooming"? Some folks are quick to suggest that gendering LARPING is an existential threat to America, however it seems maintaining it's fascination with guns is a FAR greater threat to people's safety in the US. Gun culture is a very oft repeated phrase when folks are trying to wrap their head around why America has so much more of a problem with guns than any other country. And it does appear that EVERYONE (right?) actually does want to stop shootings.

Do you have thoughts on the concept of gun grooming?

1673376215506.png

1673376189732.png

1673376154519.png

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Tha
There was an interesting thread about school shootings just below....with more than a few people talking about the gun culture of America.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever stopped to think about the idea of "gun grooming"? Some folks are quick to suggest that gendering LARPING is an existential threat to America, however it seems maintaining it's fascination with guns is a FAR greater threat to people's safety in the US. Gun culture is a very oft repeated phrase when folks are trying to wrap their head around why America has so much more of a problem with guns than any other country. And it does appear that EVERYONE (right?) actually does want to stop shootings.

View attachment 326257
View attachment 326256
View attachment 326255
That last picture is pretty gross. That kid did nothing wrong. He went into a dangerous situation to help people regardless of whether they were a protester needing aid or property owner trying to avoid vandalism. When he got chased by a mob of criminals that had threatened his life earlier....he waited till the last possible moment to shoot only who was an immediate threat to his life. Call him naive but there's few adults who could have acted so well in the same situation.

The fact you included him undermines the entire premise you're suggesting because in his case, he probably handled himself so well because he was taught about guns at an early age.

You should just edit him out of the OP if this is meant as a serious discussion.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟146,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Tha

“You’re foruming wrongly!”

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

View attachment 326257
View attachment 326256
View attachment 326255

I think "gun grooming" is a good idea. Everyone should teach their children how to responsibly handle a firearm. I bought my son his first gun when he was about five years old or so and taught him how to use it.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry you find it so offensive but I'm not going to edit it out because it is the DEFINITIVE example of "gun culture". He had ABSOLUTELY NO obligation to put himself into that situation. He SOUGHT it out. He didn't have to leave his house..,....he certainly didn't have to leave his house with a gun.

But with a gun, he felt empowered to put himself into a dangerous situation when he had no reason to be there. He deluded himself into thinking he is a hero because he owns a gun.

I'm not arguing the specifics about his response to those guys attacking him was handled poorly, I'm saying gun culture is what led him to be out on the street that night to begin with.

Why didn't you include pictures of the armed protestors?

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you find it so offensive but I'm not going to edit it out because it is the DEFINITIVE example of "gun culture".

Then it's an example of the upside of "gun culture".

He had ABSOLUTELY NO obligation to put himself into that situation.

Nobody did. Not the protesters upset rioting and destroying property over a cop who was innocent and an organization that's crooked. Luckily, some people showed up to minimize the damage.

He SOUGHT it out.
Just like the protesters.

He didn't have to leave his house..,....he certainly didn't have to leave his house with a gun.

Just like the protesters. Thankfully, he knew how to use a gun....and when. I guess we can count that up to him learning about them early.

But with a gun, he felt empowered to put himself into a dangerous situation when he had no reason to be there.

He knew it would be dangerous and without the gun, he may have been killed by a violent mob angry they couldn't destroy innocent peoples businesses.

He deluded himself into thinking he is a hero because he owns a gun.

I don't know what he thought about himself...I doubt you do either.

Well maybe we should have a talk about the "brain dead activist culture" that can't tell the difference between a real cause and a fake one....or the difference between a protest and a riot.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 326257
View attachment 326256
View attachment 326255
This really might be hard for a non-American to understand, but many American, especially in rural areas, grow up around firearms just as we grow up around vehicles. In rural areas, you can add growing up around various dangerous equipment. This means we know that they are inanimate objects, and also know the dangers.

Let's talk about my own "gun grooming." We saw them whenever it was hunting season or when a dangerous four-legged or no-legged varmint was nearby. My father took the mystery out of them by letting us fire the .22 with him standing beside us, and all of us had been near the shotguns when they were used, so there was no mystery there. We were drilled in firearm safety, beginning with the then ubiquitous toy guns. We were taught never to point a firearm at anyone, or anything we didn't intend to shoot. We were taught to be sure of our target and to be aware of what was behind it. We were taught never to keep a firearm loaded. I can't remember where I learned to open the chamber and make sure a firearm was unloaded before handling it, but I had to have learned it somewhere, most likely my father. Our "grooming" progressed to hunting.

All of which might be objectionable elsewhere in the world, and maybe in some places in the US, but in rural areas, all that's pretty standard.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
“You’re foruming wrongly!”
If I was going to point out examples why child grooming is wrong...I wouldn't include a definitive counterexample that undermines my whole argument.

Someone else can make that point if they want.

Unfortunately, that's lost on the OP so in spite of my help....he's gonna just sink with the ship.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟153,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I was going to point out examples why child grooming is wrong...I wouldn't include a definitive counterexample that undermines my whole argument.

Someone else can make that point if they want.

Unfortunately, that's lost on the OP so in spite of my help....he's gonna just sink with the ship.
Fortunately, nobody needs your help in discussing their own point of view. This picture of Rittenhouse opened my eyes a bit. One can behold his eyes and recognize he felt like a big man holding that rifle as a young feller. It helps me understand why a teenager would take it upon himself to travel to another state to run around the streets looking for someone to shoot. The hyperpartisan tribalism was ratcheted up to redline at the time of the protests. And Kyle just had to show the world how masculine he really was. The use of Rittenhouse was a definitive example, in my view, that fully supports how detrimental child gun grooming can be. I am grateful for learning this knowledge about the kid. You sound far too defensive about Kyle, are you related?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟371,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think "gun grooming" is a good idea. Everyone should teach their children how to responsibly handle a firearm. I bought my son his first gun when he was about five years old or so and taught him how to use it.
I grew up around hunting too. Both my dad and my brother did it. I had an ear injury when I was younger and it hurt far too much for me to hunt as I didn't like ear muffs. Still went a few times. I hope to get my license and go again in the next couple years.

Competently and safety handling a weapon is not gun grooming.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟371,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Then it's an example of the upside of "gun culture".

Nobody did. Not the protesters upset rioting and destroying property over a cop who was innocent and an organization that's crooked. Luckily, some people showed up to minimize the damage.

Just like the protesters.

Just like the protesters. Thankfully, he knew how to use a gun....and when. I guess we can count that up to him learning about them early.

He knew it would be dangerous and without the gun, he may have been killed by a violent mob angry they couldn't destroy innocent peoples businesses.

I don't know what he thought about himself...I doubt you do either.

Well maybe we should have a talk about the "brain dead activist culture" that can't tell the difference between a real cause and a fake one....or the difference between a protest and a riot.
This entire post is "I know you are but what am I?"
Can't be bothered but good luck

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟371,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This really might be hard for a non-American to understand, but many American, especially in rural areas, grow up around firearms just as we grow up around vehicles. In rural areas, you can add growing up around various dangerous equipment. This means we know that they are inanimate objects, and also know the dangers.

Let's talk about my own "gun grooming." We saw them whenever it was hunting season or when a dangerous four-legged or no-legged varmint was nearby. My father took the mystery out of them by letting us fire the .22 with him standing beside us, and all of us had been near the shotguns when they were used, so there was no mystery there. We were drilled in firearm safety, beginning with the then ubiquitous toy guns. We were taught never to point a firearm at anyone, or anything we didn't intend to shoot. We were taught to be sure of our target and to be aware of what was behind it. We were taught never to keep a firearm loaded. I can't remember where I learned to open the chamber and make sure a firearm was unloaded before handling it, but I had to have learned it somewhere, most likely my father. Our "grooming" progressed to hunting.

All of which might be objectionable elsewhere in the world, and maybe in some places in the US, but in rural areas, all that's pretty standard.
Love and respect hunting and hunters. Brother and father do it and hope to do it soon.

Being around a gun is not gun grooming, nor is your kid looking at guns.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately, nobody needs your help in discussing their own point of view.
Of course not.

This picture of Rittenhouse opened my eyes a bit.
Oh?

One can behold his eyes and recognize he felt like a big man holding that rifle as a young feller.
My point of view doesn't include this zany wacky "I believe I can read minds" stuff.

If he was non expressive...you'd say he was cold hearted and dangerous.

If he was frowning....you'd say he was a violent killer from the start.

You can't read minds, you're just projecting. All you can reasonably infer is he learned about guns early.

It helps me understand why a teenager would take it upon himself to travel to another state to run around the streets looking for someone to shoot.

Who are we talking about now? Kyle Rittenhouse at no point said to anyone that he was looking for people to shoot.

In fact, the trial revealed in multiple testimonies and evidence why he was there.

The hyperpartisan tribalism was ratcheted up to redline at the time of the protests.
Ok.

And Kyle just had to show the world how masculine he really was.
Or he was there to help....as evidence revealed.

The use of Rittenhouse was a definitive example, in my view, that fully supports how detrimental child gun grooming can be.
Detrimental to who? The deranged criminals he killed?

Good riddance.

I am grateful for learning this knowledge about the kid. You sound far too defensive about Kyle, are you related?

Not related. I just understand that at that age....to have the media smear what has to be arguably the most difficult point in your life....and to have so many complete idiots believe it, is a hard thing to carry. Glad he seemed to be handling it well.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This entire post is "I know you are but what am I?"
You seemed to have been fixated on the idea that he wasn't obligated to be there.

Nobody was obligated to be there.

He could have showed up to a peaceful protest....no one would have died.

He could have shown up to a canceled protest...after all, the shooting they were protesting was 100% justified. The cop involved cleared of all wrong doing.

I'm not arguing he was obligated to be there....no one was. That would be a stupid point for me to argue. Glad you're done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟145,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately, nobody needs your help in discussing their own point of view. This picture of Rittenhouse opened my eyes a bit. One can behold his eyes and recognize he felt like a big man holding that rifle as a young feller. It helps me understand why a teenager would take it upon himself to travel to another state to run around the streets looking for someone to shoot. The hyperpartisan tribalism was ratcheted up to redline at the time of the protests. And Kyle just had to show the world how masculine he really was. The use of Rittenhouse was a definitive example, in my view, that fully supports how detrimental child gun grooming can be. I am grateful for learning this knowledge about the kid. You sound far too defensive about Kyle, are you related?
Another state, he crossed state lines (like that is a crime). The other state was a 15 minute drive from his house.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟371,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
And let's please not say he was learning about guns at a young age. I'd argue that's too big of a weapon for that kid to hold but regardless, no adult with half a spark of intelligence would not teach and enforce good trigger discipline...which is NOT what I see in that picture. Certainly not from a kid that young.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And let's please not say he was learning about guns at a young age. I'd argue that's too big of a weapon for that kid to hold but regardless, no adult with half a spark of intelligence would not teach and enforce good trigger discipline...which is NOT what I see in that picture. Certainly not from a kid that young.

Uh huh...honestly, I'm not sure it's a real picture.

When I zoomed in...his face seems to have 2 different shades. Like there's one shade on his face, and the skin bordering it is slightly darker.

If I had to guess....fake. I don't know though.

Upvote 0