Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please note I'm posting in an Orthodox forum, but Protestants are welcome to join the discussion if you like. :) My purpose is not to debate though.

Im just wondering, have any of you noticed something? It may be a case of how when we focus on something, we ourselves notice it more. But I really don't think so. It's quite startling, the degree to which I've seen this ...

We begin Great Lent with forgiveness. Suddenly, Protestants (of whom I have many friends) are talking and debating about forgiveness, not only in CF in areas unconnected to us (and in our areas lol) but other places in my life where the Protestants I know may have no connection whatsoever to Orthodoxy.

Soon when Lent starts "for real" and our battleground largely plays out in our thoughts and temptations, it seems that Protestants everywhere are suffering this HUGE wave of attacks through their thoughts and struggles with temptations.

Not connected to us, but they seem to be going through some of the same things at the same time.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Do you suppose this is strange? Or does it make sense on some kind of level where we are all humanity struggling through life, and demons do what they do and so forth? Though that still wouldn't explain the focus on forgiveness prior.

I just thought it was kind of a strange coincidence. I've noticed it before, but it seems to a greater degree this time around.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is unconnected. I attend a Dutch Reformed Church, but we are currently going through 'die Lydingstydperk', essentially Lent as well, in my church's liturgical year. So all the sermons are on forgiveness, the hymns and psalms the emotionally heavier sort, and so forth. While we don't fast (although my mother-in-law does, and she is married to a minister), the same themes recur that the Protestant Church inherited from their forebears. My preacher dons a purple scarf, light candles for each of the 7 weeks up to Easter, and constantly talks of the need to accept saving Grace.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have to say, Anastasia, that I have never noticed what you describe happening.

However, I have not had much contact with the "fringe-ier" denominations, so I cannot say that what you are pointing to doesn't occur somewhere, although I think that those kinds of churches don't bother with Lent at all.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have to say, Anastasia, that I have never noticed what you describe happening.

However, I have not had much contact with the "fringe-ier" denominations, so I cannot say that what you are pointing to doesn't occur somewhere, although I think that those kinds of churches don't bother with Lent at all.
That's actually what I had in mind. "Protestant" is so not a descriptive label, but I don't have a better one? The evangelicals, non-denoms, no-affiliation, seekers, and so on.

My comment makes no sense regarding Anglicans, Lutherans, and such, I think. At least many of them?

No more time to post at present - gotta go for Bible study and other good stuff. :)

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have noticed this. In myself as well.
Our church (WELS) is a liturgical church and goes through a full lent (Ash Wednesday, Wednesday lent services, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday-and Easter) There is no emphasis on fasting or giving things up for lent, though, as Lutherans are adverse to "works righteousness"
I have fasted during lent before though.
Currently I'm working at a job that has a lot of night shifts so I haven't gotten to attend services.
I have been struggling this lent.
But I'm reading Orthodox books, and learning a lot.(currently reading Orthodoxy
and Heterodoxy)
Many of my Protestant evangelical friends and family don't even know what Lent is, and I have found myself describing it to them this year, more than any other year.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
For months I've been visiting an Anglican parish and decided to take part in Lent this year. This is the first time in almost 20 years that I've even considered it and I've taken some flake for it...not that it matters.

Asking for your prayers.

Peace,

jm
PS: yes, I'm that JM ^_^

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For months I've been visiting an Anglican parish and decided to take part in Lent this year. This is the first time in almost 20 years that I've even considered it and I've taken some flake for it...not that it matters.

Asking for your prayers.

Peace,

jm
Prayers for you, my brother.

• Optimistic
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Asking for your prayers.

Peace,

jm

Lord have mercy!

• Haha
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Asking for your prayers.

Peace,

jm

Lord, have mercy!

And, BTW... I was Anglican, between leaving the Reformed Church (Was on the Board of Elders, at the time), and joining The Orthodox Church

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always found it fascinating that Jesus said “WHEN you fast....” and not “IF you fast...”

Been told off today - "Fasting is not Christian, is more like Muslim... Jesus never fasted"...:doh:

• Agree
Reactions: Andrei D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I always found it fascinating that Jesus said “WHEN you fast....” and not “IF you fast...”

and that whole casting out demons with prayer and fasting incident. He was probably fasting and praying prior to the occurrence seeing as how that is why He said He could cast the demon out and the Apostles couldn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0